Top 10 offensive coordinators as per PFF

DJB

Well, yeah, I would be top 10, too, if I inherited Daboll's offense and I had Josh.  I'm far from convinced that Dorsey should be anywhere near the top of this list.   There's not enough evidence that he should be on it at all. 

This off-season noise is really a joke. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, yeah, I would be top 10, too, if I inherited Daboll's offense and I had Josh.  I'm far from convinced that Dorsey should be anywhere near the top of this list.   There's not enough evidence that he should be on it at all. 

This off-season noise is really a joke. 

You mean other than the fact that the Bills had one of the best offenses in the NFL last year?  

Edited by HereComesTheReignAgain
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

You mean other than the fact that the Bills had one of the best offenses in the NFL last year?  

Agreed. How many first time coordinators can say in their first season (even getting handed the keys to a top 5 offense) they came in at 13-3 with a playoff win and one of the highest scoring offenses in the NFL. I'm sure they exist, but few and far between. 

Is there room for improvement? Of course, it's literally this dudes first time in the role, give him a break. 

Edited by LVGrown
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

They had the same offense they had in 2021, and it wasn't Dorsey's offense.   I didn't see a lot of Dorsey in the 2022 offense; it seemed like the offense just was an extension of the previous season.   So, I don't see how that means he's one of the 10 best coordinators.  As I said, a lot of people could have stepped into that job last season and gotten the same performance out of the offense.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

They had the same offense they had in 2021, and it wasn't Dorsey's offense.   I didn't see a lot of Dorsey in the 2022 offense; it seemed like the offense just was an extension of the previous season.   So, I don't see how that means he's one of the 10 best coordinators.  As I said, a lot of people could have stepped into that job last season and gotten the same performance out of the offense.   

….and the season trend was not a good one over the course of the season and playoffs. I’m a glass half full guy, but I’m not sure about what to expect for the upcoming season. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Dorsey inherited notably less talent and fielded a more consistent offense than Daboll had in 2021.    It's funny how some fans look back on Daboll with such reverence when they were aghast at him after some of their performances in 2021.   Like the 6 point performance in Jacksonville against the absolute worst team in the NFL.     Daboll's bad game plans and play calling cost the Bills home field advantage in 2021.   But just like Gabe Davis last impression in that 13 seconds game caused people to forget how wildly inconsistent a player he'd already PROVEN that he was........the same can be said for Daboll.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

They were #2 in yards per game and points per game in the entire league. What would Dorsey have had to accomplish to get some credit from you?  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

….and the season trend was not a good one over the course of the season and playoffs. I’m a glass half full guy, but I’m not sure about what to expect for the upcoming season. 

How can you possibly be a glass half full guy while complaining about an offense that was second in points per game and yards per game?!  

40 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

They were #2 in yards per game and points per game in the entire league. What would Dorsey have had to accomplish to get some credit from you?  

Develop a consistent rushing attack.

Not rely on Allen to bail him out

Decrease Allen's turnovers 

Convert more 3rd and short downs

Play better in the red zone

Replace Allen with an average QB and you would get below average results. Allen is the only reason any of them have jobs. He's the franchise savior and driver of all the success on offense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LVGrown said:

Agreed. How many first time coordinators can say in their first season (even getting handed the keys to a top 5 offense) they came in at 13-3 with a playoff win and one of the highest scoring offenses in the NFL. I'm sure they exist, but few and far between. 

Is there room for improvement? Of course, it's literally this dudes first time in the role, give him a break. 

Room? Yeah there's room. 

16 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Develop a consistent rushing attack.

Not rely on Allen to bail him out

Decrease Allen's turnovers 

Convert more 3rd and short downs

Play better in the red zone

Replace Allen with an average QB and you would get below average results. Allen is the only reason any of them have jobs. He's the franchise savior and driver of all the success on offense. 

Cool, so all the same complaints we had with Daboll (fans have selective memory about).

Dorsey had less talent at Wr and OL, also a less than 100% QB for a good part of the 2nd half of season.

Obviously Josh is awesome, but that doesn't discount that Dorsey did more in Year 1 (with less talent), than Dabs did previously and fans are now enamored with.

Josh was a turnover machine in the redzone, led the NFL.  That's partially playcalling, but mostly Josh decision making and lack of execution.  

Also tough to have a consistent run game with our OL the past few years.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

How can you possibly be a glass half full guy while complaining about an offense that was second in points per game and yards per game?!  

If you were watching the games, you probably saw the same concerning trend that I did. The big offensive games came early in the year when we were nearly unstoppable and blowing teams out. Later in the year we were FAR less special. 

Stats are nice, but should be taken in context. We were not the same team later in the season. There could be any number of reasons for that, including the UCL injury Josh sustained. I’d bet quite a few here think I’m an impossible optimist, but I try to see the big picture while never getting too high or too low. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

If you were watching the games, you probably saw the same concerning trend that I did. The big offensive games came early in the year when we were nearly unstoppable and blowing teams out. Later in the year we were FAR less special. 

Stats are nice, but should be taken in context. We were not the same team later in the season. There could be any number of reasons for that, including the UCL injury Josh sustained. I’d bet quite a few here think I’m an impossible optimist, but I try to see the big picture while never getting too high or too low. 

If someone would have told me 6 years ago that Bills fans would be complaining about the OC after a 13-3 season where the team had the second best offense in the league, I would have never believed it. Ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

If someone would have told me 6 years ago that Bills fans would be complaining about the OC after a 13-3 season where the team had the second best offense in the league, I would have never believed it. Ridiculous. 

You missed the point….entirely.

We started the season in incredible fashion, then things took a turn. Did you miss that?  That was real, and it was not like the beginning of the season. What changed is open for discussion. 

I’m not bashing, but I have serious questions. I like the upgrades, but I need to see it on the field going forward. That is not unreasonable, and certainly not ridiculous. 

• Agree 1

They were 5th and 3rd the year before, essentially the same.  So, how do we know that Dorsey did anything?  It didn't look to me that he did much.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Number two ranked offense (both points and yards) that didn't see a dip in production post Daboll.  That's despite losing Beasley and Sanders along with Josh's elbow injury.  Not that surprising. 

Yup better offense and against better competition too

Didn't have league worst Jets defense to beat up on

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Why did you expect him to make an overhaul and fix things that were not broken? That would have been the exact opposite of what he should have tried in his first year. 

year two would be a year to make more noticeable tweaks if any are needed. 

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yup better offense and against better competition too

Didn't have league worst Jets defense to beat up on

There weren't as many wtf calls/sequences with Dorsey compared to Daboll.  Daboll's in game adjustments were better though and they played some of their strongest ball in the playoffs.

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

There weren't as many wtf calls/sequences with Dorsey compared to Daboll.  Daboll's in game adjustments were better though and they played some of their strongest ball in the playoffs.

Doc.... welll... They did throw long too many times on 3rd and 5 (yes I know the line that was better for Joshs injury) drove me crazy.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

So it never bothered you when they heaved the ball down the field on 3rd or 4th down?

To be honest no

It's high variance and it worked really well imo, I think w a QB like Allen and the way the offense is constructed personnel-wise you have to lean into that

7 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Doc.... welll... They did throw long too many times on 3rd and 5 (yes I know the line that was better for Joshs injury) drove me crazy.

At least you answered your own question.  His short term accuracy was pretty bad post elbow injury so it made more sense to go for the big play considering the high variance that play could produce.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.