'Quarterback' on Netflix

Jukester

Premiered today.  Follows Mahomes, Cousins, and Mariota during the 2022 season.  I watched the first episode and enjoyed it. Good stuff during the offseason to get fired up for the upcoming year.  I think Bills-Chiefs regular season game will be part of epissode 2 and another one down the road will have the Vikes-Bills fiasco.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Mariota especially was a head scratcher.  But regardless, it's always cool to see some of the backstories and inner workings behind these guys.  I'm also a tennis fan and watched Break Point.  I had no clue about many of the players featured and by the end really felt more connected to them.  

6 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Do we want JA17 watching this or not?? Part of me says yes, learned more about your enemy (without being in complete awe of him). Or, screw it, do your own thing.. you’re a creative genius and you’ll chart your own course. 

I’m not sure…???

Couple of things: there’s probably not much (if anything) that’s going to be shown that Josh doesn’t already know about these guys. Second, those guys aren’t the enemy to Josh, that’s not who he faces. Mahomes vs Allen is media and fan driven. His enemy is the other team’s defense 

• Like (+1) 2

This show is for fans, not intel for other NFL QB’s.  They were discussing on Jeremy’s show and Mahomes when asked who he would rather play in the Bills or Bengals, he thought the Bills were a better matchup for him, but between the trash talk, he wants to take it to the Bengals.

I wouldn’t read much into this stuff.  If you’re just thinking a little entertainment, most will probably like it.  I’m not a documentary/reality show guy so I’ll probably pass.  Give me a good episode of SWAT, Chicago PD, etc any day of the week.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I saw the preview and will probably watch. Just wish it wasn’t Mahomes or at least it also had Allen instead of Cousins or Mariota. Cousins and Mariota? Really? Wonder if all the better options declined. Mariota is borderline irrelevant and Cousins is Mr Average. 

Cousins has 6 seasons in the top 10 in passes completed, 5 in top 10 in attempts, 7 in top 10 yards (4th last year), 6 in TDs, 6 in passer rating, 6 in completion%. 4 Pro Bowls.  28th all time in yards, 23rd in TDs, 23rd in YPA, 25th in game winning drives, 26th in 4th Q comebacks.

Those aren't average numbers. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I saw the preview and will probably watch. Just wish it wasn’t Mahomes or at least it also had Allen instead of Cousins or Mariota. Cousins and Mariota? Really? Wonder if all the better options declined. Mariota is borderline irrelevant and Cousins is Mr Average. 

or is the point to have a real range of experiences. Elite, solid starter and battling for a role 

• Agree 1

I saw the intro on Netflix.  I didn't think it was possible for Mahomes' wife to get more annoying, but there she is crushing it.  I get why she hung around Jackson Mahomes so much.  She needed someone close by that was somehow even more unlikable than her.  

Edited by HereComesTheReignAgain
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, 90sBills said:

I think they were going for superstar, solid veteran, and struggling starter to cover the spectrum of qb’s. I bet either Allen or Burrow will be on next season. 

That, and probably much easier to get a Cousins and a Mariota compared with guys closer to Mahomes’ caliber.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Jukester said:

Mariota especially was a head scratcher.  But regardless, it's always cool to see some of the backstories and inner workings behind these guys.  I'm also a tennis fan and watched Break Point.  I had no clue about many of the players featured and by the end really felt more connected to them.  

Mariotta has that come back story of a former top 2 pick and toss in the drama when he quit on his team for a brief moment when he was benched.  

7 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Do we want JA17 watching this or not?? Part of me says yes, learned more about your enemy (without being in complete awe of him). Or, screw it, do your own thing.. you’re a creative genius and you’ll chart your own course. 

I’m not sure…???

Why should JA17 care about the enemy, he's not the one playing against them. I could see Von watching possibly to see if there's anything he could spook a QB with yet am sure once you get to the NFL you shouldn't scare easily. 

9 hours ago, Jukester said:

It allows you to see the different perspectives- superstar QB, solid QB and lesser QB.

fwiw- Mariota is a class act. Great kid.  When he was with the raiders, he used to go to my friends popular taco shop regularly. On many visits he would pay for all the meals for the people behind him in line without saying a word to them about it. Always taking pics and signing autographs until there wasn’t anyone else asking.   

• Like (+1) 5

7 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I’m not sure…???

Josh will put it on for "Netflix and chill" time. The horn ball.🤣🤣

• Haha (+1) 2

Hey this is good news!  With Mahomes engaged in all this non-football related off season stuff, I just saw a new Subway commercial with Justin Herbert in it, he is going to really suck this season.  Or at least that's what some Bills QB gurus insist has happened to Allen on some other threads.

10 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I’m not sure…???

I’m not sure what Allen can learn from watching this. Maybe how to manage distractions as this was filmed during the season. I can’t imagine how distracted these guys were with all the things on their plates as NFL quarterbacks. Even more amazed that one of them went on to win a superbowl while doing this. 

• Eyeroll 1

what struck me the most is Cousins and the Bills game. He was literally grunting with pain early in the first quarter, and carried his team over an insurmountable comeback to win the game. My respect has certainly grown for him after watching the first couple of episodes.

Edited by Gobills14094
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Saw this, Mahomes said Bengals are better team, but Bills have a chance with them missing OL.  Also said he would rather play the Bengals even though he felt Bills were easier matchup.  Interesting considering he last the last 2 reg season games against Bills and took a miracle moment to beat the Bills in the playoff game.  But then again they had not beat the Bengals yet, so I get the motivation.  

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Also said he would rather play the Bengals even though he felt Bills were easier matchup.  Interesting considering he last the last 2 reg season games against Bills and took a miracle moment to beat the Bills in the playoff game.  But then again they had not beat the Bengals yet, so I get the motivation.  

Did he said ‘easier’ though? He said they matched up better with Buffalo. Which is reasonable. 

6 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Did he said ‘easier’ though? He said they matched up better with Buffalo. Which is reasonable. 

Oh yeah, not saying what he said was unreasonable, and match up better also means an easier matchup.  But yes, it was specifically that Bengals were better than Bills and that KC matches up better with Buffalo as the two statements.  

I am assuming he is referring to their offense vs our defense in the matchup comment as Bengals had more success disrupting their offense than we had

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Oh yeah, not saying what he said was unreasonable, and match up better also means an easier matchup.  But yes, it was specifically that Bengals were better than Bills and that KC matches up better with Buffalo as the two statements.  

I am assuming he is referring to their offense vs our defense in the matchup comment as Bengals had more success disrupting their offense than we had

I think this is what he meant as well. Of all the games between us only the one with Von was there any DL pressure on Mahomes to speak of. Cincy gets after him in all their matches. So I didn’t take his comment as disrespectful towards the Bills. More of a competitor that wants to slay his personal challenge…Cincy’s defense. 

1 minute ago, 90sBills said:

I think this is what he meant as well. Of all the games between us only the one with Von was there any DL pressure on Mahomes to speak of. Cincy gets after him in all their matches. So I didn’t take his comment as disrespectful towards the Bills. More of a competitor that wants to slay his personal challenge…Cincy’s defense. 

I didn't take it as disrespectful either but he definitely confirmed the Bills are the mark in the playoffs

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Hey this is good news!  With Mahomes engaged in all this non-football related off season stuff, I just saw a new Subway commercial with Justin Herbert in it, he is going to really suck this season.  Or at least that's what some Bills QB gurus insist has happened to Allen on some other threads.

I think Subway is reaching out to Jon Kitna's son as their next spokesperson.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 90sBills said:

Especially without Von Miller.  The non-QB who had the biggest impact on the Bills defeating KC in KC. 

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Cousins has 6 seasons in the top 10 in passes completed, 5 in top 10 in attempts, 7 in top 10 yards (4th last year), 6 in TDs, 6 in passer rating, 6 in completion%. 4 Pro Bowls.  28th all time in yards, 23rd in TDs, 23rd in YPA, 25th in game winning drives, 26th in 4th Q comebacks.

Those aren't average numbers. 

I agree. Cousins is a solid QB. He gets too much hate for not being one of the elite guys, but he is solid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, 90sBills said:

I’m not sure what Allen can learn from watching this. Maybe how to manage distractions as this was filmed during the season. I can’t imagine how distracted these guys were with all the things on their plates as NFL quarterbacks. Even more amazed that one of them went on to win a superbowl while doing this. 

it’s almost like there’s a lot of hours in the day and media distractions are largely overrated as long as they don’t actively create extreme tension

fans just need material for the daily soap opera we tune into and create our own dramas to worry about 

11 hours ago, Gobills14094 said:

what struck me the most is Cousins and the Bills game. He was literally grunting with pain early in the first quarter, and carried his team over an insurmountable comeback to win the game. My respect has certainly grown for him after watching the first couple of episodes.

Just saw this episode. Cousins’ was tough as nails no doubt. But what it also  reminded me was how we literally handed that game to them. Defense collapses, Josh fumbles in the end zone, then the pick at the end into the end zone.  🤮

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Saw this, Mahomes said Bengals are better team, but Bills have a chance with them missing OL.  Also said he would rather play the Bengals even though he felt Bills were easier matchup.  Interesting considering he last the last 2 reg season games against Bills and took a miracle moment to beat the Bills in the playoff game.  But then again they had not beat the Bengals yet, so I get the motivation.  

Just saw that. I definitely would take some offense and extra motivation if I was on the Bills 

21 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I'd love to watch it but I am not sure if I can handle Mahomes.

Nothing personal but I hate him having two rings already :(

For whatever reason Mahomes does not bother me.  He seems like a decent human to me who is just ridiculously talented.  The Brady docs I could not watch.    

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.