Stop whining!

Dr. K

16 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

I was just thinking today how lucky we are to have Stephon Diggs. Because of Diggs, Josh is going to get better and learn how to read defenses and adjust on the fly. Because of Diggs, KD is going to have to be on his toes and not be lazy or settle for an garbage offense or garbage plays.

Personally, I think if we win that Super Bowl this year it will be because we have Stephon  Diggs.

Then can we trade him? We ALWAYS want to trade someone! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills fans bleating became almost biblical after that Cincy loss...

Fire EVERYONE!  Fire Beane, Fire McD, Fire Frazier, Fire Dorsey! 

Buffalo fans believed all the pre-season hype about the Bills winning the SB. Guess what! Cincinnati and 14 other AFC teams didn't make it either. 

It was a truly crap way to end the season with a loss at home in the snow...alas, everything just caught up with the team on the wrong day.

Get over it... and start thinking about the 2023 season. Lots of good changes and hope the injury bug hits other teams like it has in previous seasons. 

7 hours ago, teef said:

if i post my financials, will that elevate my standing on this board?

Do you happen to drive a BMW?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, teef said:

Word on the street is what really bumps your cred is to prodigiously ascend to heights others could only dream of and then drop little tone-deaf nuggets of poop on the loathsome mortals scurrying around on the ground in an effort to convince yourself that you are NOT a joke. Bonus points if you can incorporate a tired little flow chart and use it ad nauseum because it really makes you feel clever. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, eball said:

It really is just about unbearable.  You’d think we were still in the drought.  Some people are just miserable, or are trying to make others miserable.

And no, I’m not talking about legitimate debate over the roster, whether the WR corps is good enough or if the right moves were made to shore up the OL.

It’s the personal attacks on McDermott, the whining over national pundits, and the presumptions made by a gaggle of “hot pocket” reactionaries who read one tweet and think they know the entire story.

At least we’re only a month away from camp.

I think people are afraid of sliding back into the drought.

On 6/22/2023 at 8:24 AM, Dr. K said:

For pity's sake, this place has become unreadable. Remember when you were a kid and sports were fun?

IN THE DESERT

by Stephen Crane

In the desert

I saw a Buffalo Bills fan, naked, bestial,

Who, squatting upon the ground,

Held his heart in his hands,

And ate of it.

I said, “Is it good, friend?”

“It is bitter—bitter,” he answered;

“But I like it

“Because it is bitter,

“And because it is my heart.”

I wish I could give a like, awesome and thank you. Only one allowed. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I never once looked at this thread during its short happy life, but I happened to look at it when Warcoded brought it back.  Actually, I was disappointed with the Robin Williams clip; I was hoping actually to hear from people who joined this parade with Josh.  They must have a really interesting perspective on the Bills and all of us junkies who've been living this life for a few decades. 

I often tell this story here, and I won't repeat all of it here, but I saw the Bills in Fenway Park in 1967.  There was on section in the stadium that was full of Bills fans, and they were really rowdy.   So, I left my seat and walked over to where the Bills fans were.   The reason they were so rowdy was that they got on the train in Buffalo at midnight, drank all the way to Boston, and then went directly to the game.  

Sometimes on the Buffalo Bills message board I would think we're all still on that train (sort of like a Bills-fan Snowpiercer), drunk beyond belief, yelling at each other.   Sometimes lately here it's gotten a little like that, but never quite so bad.

I think fan forums have a personality, and the personality keeps changing over time, as the people change, as their points of view change, as the fortunes of the team change.   It's unreasonable to expect it to be the same every week, let alone every year. 

This off season was particularly bad, because I agree Bills fans are better losers than winners.  Bills fans were more realistic about the players on the team when the team was losing.   Nobody's point of view here was the Bills just need one more player and Tyrod will take us to the Super Bowl.  People understood who Tyrod was.  There are plenty of people here who have proclaimed Josh to be a god, and they are amazingly angry that Beane and McDermott have disrespected Josh by not acquiring 25 of the 50 best players in the league to assist him as he climbs Mr. Olympus.   That are others who think Beane and McDermott are gods too, and they can't understand how anyone could complain about anything they do.  There are still others who think Beane and McDermott are hacks and should be put on their own train somewhere.

I've been waiting for training camp to start so that all of that off-season noise would stop, but surprisingly it hasn't.  Threads about a day in training camp turn into long-winded debates about why Beane didn't acquire a better backup right tackle.   Really?   Can't we just watch the team as it begins to get ready for the season, watch the progress of the new guys, be amazed, again, at some of the balls Josh throws and some of the catches Stefon makes, and be excited about what's to come?   I guess not. 

Anyway, it'll change, so I don't worry too much about it, especially because the worst days hear are not close to even average days on the BBMB.   It's 25 years and counting for this forum, and if we have to put up with some whining once in a while, so be it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I never once looked at this thread during its short happy life, but I happened to look at it when Warcoded brought it back.  Actually, I was disappointed with the Robin Williams clip; I was hoping actually to hear from people who joined this parade with Josh.  They must have a really interesting perspective on the Bills and all of us junkies who've been living this life for a few decades. 

I often tell this story here, and I won't repeat all of it here, but I saw the Bills in Fenway Park in 1967.  There was on section in the stadium that was full of Bills fans, and they were really rowdy.   So, I left my seat and walked over to where the Bills fans were.   The reason they were so rowdy was that they got on the train in Buffalo at midnight, drank all the way to Boston, and then went directly to the game.  

Sometimes on the Buffalo Bills message board I would think we're all still on that train (sort of like a Bills-fan Snowpiercer), drunk beyond belief, yelling at each other.   Sometimes lately here it's gotten a little like that, but never quite so bad.

I think fan forums have a personality, and the personality keeps changing over time, as the people change, as their points of view change, as the fortunes of the team change.   It's unreasonable to expect it to be the same every week, let alone every year. 

This off season was particularly bad, because I agree Bills fans are better losers than winners.  Bills fans were more realistic about the players on the team when the team was losing.   Nobody's point of view here was the Bills just need one more player and Tyrod will take us to the Super Bowl.  People understood who Tyrod was.  There are plenty of people here who have proclaimed Josh to be a god, and they are amazingly angry that Beane and McDermott have disrespected Josh by not acquiring 25 of the 50 best players in the league to assist him as he climbs Mr. Olympus.   That are others who think Beane and McDermott are gods too, and they can't understand how anyone could complain about anything they do.  There are still others who think Beane and McDermott are hacks and should be put on their own train somewhere.

I've been waiting for training camp to start so that all of that off-season noise would stop, but surprisingly it hasn't.  Threads about a day in training camp turn into long-winded debates about why Beane didn't acquire a better backup right tackle.   Really?   Can't we just watch the team as it begins to get ready for the season, watch the progress of the new guys, be amazed, again, at some of the balls Josh throws and some of the catches Stefon makes, and be excited about what's to come?   I guess not. 

Anyway, it'll change, so I don't worry too much about it, especially because the worst days hear are not close to even average days on the BBMB.   It's 25 years and counting for this forum, and if we have to put up with some whining once in a while, so be it. 

Well stated.  The anticipation of the season should be an exciting time, but that does not seem to be the case when you read some of what goes on here.  There are some who seem to think their place on the board is to be negative about everything.  Seems like a sad existence to me. 

Well written post Shaw; but I think there’s a lot of people here, and on the internet in general, that just like to debate or argue or vent anger.  People are generally kept in line here and that’s a blessing. 

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Well stated.  The anticipation of the season should be an exciting time, but that does not seem to be the case when you read some of what goes on here.  There are some who seem to think their place on the board is to be negative about everything.  Seems like a sad existence to me. 

You know, for me, I have no problem with those who are negative about the team, per se. What gets under my skin are the "I'm smarter than you" attacks on other posters, with a majority of them coming from post-drought fans. ScottLaw, for example, has a long reputation of negativity. But, I've never seen him call another poster "stupid." He debates football.

Maintaining negative opinions about some aspect of the Bills isn't what makes this forum toxic, IMO. In fact, opposing viewpoints, regardless of how extreme they may be, if stated respectfully will inspire debate. It's the personal invective-- even just in tone-- that sometimes makes this forum look like a bunch of Pats* fans, and utterly stymies debate.

That's my whiney 2¢.

I don't forget how far the team has come since the drought era. The team has a great core of talent, drafts well (the team has extended 2 or more players from each draft class from 2017-2019), has a franchise QB age 27 and has been massively successful the past 4 years. Four playoff appearances, four playoff wins and three straight division titles. AND There still is a window of opportunity to win a Super Bowl. The team is still a quality team that boasts what could be a top 3 defense in the league, a quality offensive supporting staff that improved the offensive line and added the best TE in the draft and a quality ST unit. I get playoff failures being frustrating but come on its still a much better ride than the drought years where making the playoffs seemed farther away than this current team winning a Super Bowl is. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

You know, for me, I have no problem with those who are negative about the team, per se. What gets under my skin are the "I'm smarter than you" attacks on other posters, with a majority of them coming from post-drought fans. ScottLaw, for example, has a long reputation of negativity. But, I've never seen him call another poster "stupid." He debates football.

Maintaining negative opinions about some aspect of the Bills isn't what makes this forum toxic, IMO. In fact, opposing viewpoints, regardless of how extreme they may be, if stated respectfully will inspire debate. It's the personal invective-- even just in tone-- that sometimes makes this forum look like a bunch of Pats* fans, and utterly stymies debate.

That's my whiney 2¢.

Good point.  There are a couple people here with playing/coaching expertise whose opinions I value.  For the most part though none of us really understand the nuances of pro football.  But that’s why fan is short for fanatic.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm an old time Bills fan.  Grew up between Rochester & Buffalo and attended my 1st Bills game at the Rock Pile in 1969.  Even though I couldn't afford it I attended a lot of Bills games in the late 1970's/early 1980's when I went to UB. 

My work took me to Cincinnati but I came back for a game or two every season and over the years hosted a lot of Bills fans every time Buffalo played in Cincy. I also made the 90 mile drive to Indy every season for the Bills/Colts game when they were in our division.

I was to young to appreciate the mid 60's championship years so my 50+ years of Bills fandom has been marked by a lot more disappointment then joy. There was he the brief Chuck Knock playoff years in 1980 & 1981, the magical OJ 2000 yard year and nothing beyond that except for two wondrous periods:  the Super Bowl years and NOW.

In my 50+ years as a Bills fan there have only been 2 elite QB's on this team:  Jim Kelly & Josh Allen.  A special mention goes to Frank Reich for the comeback and to Fergy for giving it his all.  But for decades we have suffered from mediocre to bad QBing. Ditto for coaching:  3 good ones in Knox, Levy and McD and the rest............

So I find it hard to listen to naysayers trash McD and especially Allen on 2BD.  I get negative posters who are still shell shocked from the periods of BAD Buffalo Bills football but the nastiness of the attacks on Allen & McD from a small minority of 2BD posters goes beyond the glass being half full types of people.  It comes across to me as trolling.

There is a huge difference between those that criticize some actions by McD & Allen that if fixed make the Bills an even better team and those that claim Allen's terrible play lost us a game or that McD (and Bean for good measure) need to go.  Sorry, but the current Bills QB and coach are the 2nd best at their respective positions that Buffalo has seen in over 55 years.  And given time I suspect that the current QB & coach may eclipse the Super Bowl teams to move into number one.

• Like (+1) 4

Like Springsteen said,  "It's a town for losers. I'm pulling out of here to win." 

I left 21 years ago, but the mindset stays. All those lost super bowls and Stanley cups along with a decimated local economy produces a feeling of negativity that runs deep. 

Buffalo is a tough place for tough people, but it can weigh on the mind after awhile. 

Just one super bowl or Stanley cup would do a ton to alleviate that feeling. 

• Dislike 1

On 6/22/2023 at 7:10 AM, Don Otreply said:

The mud elephant wading through the sea leaves no tracks,

On 6/22/2023 at 10:28 AM, teef said:

On 6/22/2023 at 9:08 PM, transient said:

Word on the street is what really bumps your cred is to prodigiously ascend to heights others could only dream of and then drop little tone-deaf nuggets of poop on the loathsome mortals scurrying around on the ground in an effort to convince yourself that you are NOT a joke. Bonus points if you can incorporate a tired little flow chart and use it ad nauseum because it really makes you feel clever

Venn diagrams also really boost one's perceived cleverness.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 6/22/2023 at 8:24 AM, Dr. K said:

For pity's sake, this place has become unreadable. Remember when you were a kid and sports were fun?

IN THE DESERT

by Stephen Crane

In the desert

I saw a Buffalo Bills fan, naked, bestial,

Who, squatting upon the ground,

Held his heart in his hands,

And ate of it.

I said, “Is it good, friend?”

“It is bitter—bitter,” he answered;

“But I like it

“Because it is bitter,

“And because it is my heart.”

Just sports,  it's great we're contending and finally have an elite player at the most important position on the field.  Some fans have higher expectations and losing to the Bengals at home the way we did was a serious let down after one of the biggest late game meltdowns jobs in NFL playoff history 13 secs. The AFC east is no longer a guarantee,  the Dolphins and Jets are real and both got better this offseason.  

Should be an interesting season and let's see what happens,  I am kinda happy pundits are not picking us like last season and hope that offers some motivation. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.