Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2023-2024

Draconator

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yes, that’s true. But he wasn’t fired as you claimed. And Pegula wanted to keep him. He just wasn’t willing to give extensions out since Marrone still had 2yrs on his contract. So I don’t really feel like anything I said was untrue.

Do you think Pegula has done an overall good job hiring people in his time owning the Bills and Sabres?

I’d say he did great hiring McDermott, and I credit McDermott more for Beane than Pegula. Otherwise I would say it’s been mostly bad hires and missses between the Sabres hockey and business side + the Bills business side (the football ops hires have been mostly Beane & McDermott).

I did like how he was willing to swing for the fences early on in his ownership (like trying to hire Babcock). Those days seem gone now. I’d absolutely love to eat my words though, like if they threw a pile of money at Rod Brind’amor this offseason! lol

Fair enough he wasn't fired.  But if Terry truly wanted him, he would have given in to his demands.  I'm sure Terry got some input from players and didn't really think too highly of him.  And the players weren't sad to see him go from what I've heard.

Has he done a good job with the Bills?  Definitely.  Sabres?  No. 

• Like (+1) 2

Had an old friend I used to work with back in 2005-2008ish reach out to me about something.  We exchange a few messages back and forth and then start talking about how neither one of us are in touch with anybody from the old job anymore(at the time a lot of us hung out together outside of work; happy hours and going out to watch Sabres games were a HUGE deal back then, overall fun memories that feel like forever ago) my buddy says something about how it's so hard to believe it's been that long ago now since we all worked there.  I responded with it's been so long that the freaking Sabres were actually good back then and he responded with a LOL and how that really explains how much time has passed.  Just wanted to share on here because if you measure how long ago other things were in your life by using the Sabres being relevant it's a pretty shocking Wow moment 🤣

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 4/12/2024 at 8:49 PM, BillsPride12 said:

Had an old friend I used to work with back in 2005-2008ish reach out to me about something.  We exchange a few messages back and forth and then start talking about how neither one of us are in touch with anybody from the old job anymore(at the time a lot of us hung out together outside of work; happy hours and going out to watch Sabres games were a HUGE deal back then, overall fun memories that feel like forever ago) my buddy says something about how it's so hard to believe it's been that long ago now since we all worked there.  I responded with it's been so long that the freaking Sabres were actually good back then and he responded with a LOL and how that really explains how much time has passed.  Just wanted to share on here because if you measure how long ago other things were in your life by using the Sabres being relevant it's a pretty shocking Wow moment 🤣

If you had a newborn baby on the day of our last playoff game played, that baby would become in a teenager in less than 2 weeks.

[visual aids courtesy of Google]

😭

il_570xN.988320916_6twy.jpg

08a768de4536c0f3224f66705a732c1605-05-ni

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

If you had a newborn baby on the day of our last playoff game played, that baby would become in a teenager in less than 2 weeks.

[visual aids courtesy of Google]

😭

il_570xN.988320916_6twy.jpg

08a768de4536c0f3224f66705a732c1605-05-ni

Well yo better get busy so the Sabres can make the playoffs again. 

I can't help. I'm snipped. 

The most interesting story with the Sabres for the next few months, by far, will be if they fire Granato or not.

I am not expecting it but still holding out hope.  

If they do it, I think it will be done with 24-48 hours of season ending.

I.E., TOMORROW most likely.  Could be a huge day in Sabres Land.

If no change is made, it will be hard to maintain enthusiasm for this group going forward.

The assistant coaching staff, in particular, must go.  They should have been wholesale fired at the end of last season.

15 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The most interesting story with the Sabres for the next few months, by far, will be if they fire Granato or not.

If no change is made, it will be hard to maintain enthusiasm for this group going forward.

The assistant coaching staff, in particular, must go.  They should have been wholesale fired at the end of last season.

What about the GM. Do you want them to fire just Granato or clean house and fire both Adams and Granato. The Sabres have to be in the running for the most disappointing team this year along with the Devils given what the expectations were coming off of last season. 

On 4/11/2024 at 9:54 PM, May Day 10 said:

Didn't marrone want whaley and Brandon out?  Tried to leverage a decent Bills season and his contract clause... and lost.

I wouldnt say he lost. He was in a win-win situation and leveraged it as much as he could.

HC contracts are written with clauses that allow them to leave and still get paid IF there is a change in ownership.

Marrone knew of this clause and seized the opportunity to make a power play. "I'm going to walk and make you pay out my contract while having to find a new HC unless you put me in charge of the entire FO". Pegula said no thanks, Marrone walked while still getting paid. And then got another gig so he was DOUBLE DIPPING that NFL HC salary. Probably made himself an extra $10-15M just for quitting a job.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I wouldnt say he lost. He was in a win-win situation and leveraged it as much as he could.

HC contracts are written with clauses that allow them to leave and still get paid IF there is a change in ownership.

Marrone knew of this clause and seized the opportunity to make a power play. "I'm going to walk and make you pay out my contract while having to find a new HC unless you put me in charge of the entire FO". Pegula said no thanks, Marrone walked while still getting paid. And then got another gig so he was DOUBLE DIPPING that NFL HC salary. Probably made himself an extra $10-15M just for quitting a job.

And now hes an offensive quality assistant.

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

And now hes an offensive quality assistant.

Seems like a great, low-stress gig for a guy about to be 60 and already sitting on $30M in the bank who wants to still hang out with his buddies during the day. 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The Sabres announced both Granato and Adams will have their end of year presser on Friday.

So, see you in October with the same crew running this show.

16 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

F Doug Marrone.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Draconator said:

What did Matt Smith do?

Maybe he was in charge of putting our highlights together and they were like "no work left for you here buddy".

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

There will be no blood letting in Sabreland, other than a bunch of assistant coaches. The Sabres are done changing coaches every two years. This is still a young team and it just takes longer to develop in the NHL. It sucks but that's how it is.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

There will be no blood letting in Sabreland, other than a bunch of assistant coaches. The Sabres are done changing coaches every two years. This is still a young team and it just takes longer to develop in the NHL. It sucks but that's how it is.

Refresh

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Well this didn't age well. 3 minutes? 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ummmm, you might want to look above your post. :flirt:

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

wow the timing on this. oof. man

we have all been there.

• Haha (+1) 3

It was a playoffs or bust season...and this proves it.

I've said before, will say it again...they need to overpay and hire a proven coach who has been a winner and playoff head coach.  Someone who knows what it takes game in and game out, practices, etc...   

• Agree 1

The first hurdle has been cleared!

Now we must be sure NOT TO HIRE SETH APPERT.  

That would be classic Pegula and a classic error...leading to 14 seasons without playoffs.

Gotta bring in the right type of coach; experienced, tough, proven at least to a degree.

He must demand respect from the players and he has to have some level of discipline to help the kids improve.

Berube? Gallant? Boudreau? 

Some will suggest Ruff.  I say "NO" to that, but he would be a big improvement over Granato.

Weird that ALL assistant coaches haven't been fired.  I assume all will be gone once new guy is here and organized.

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The first hurdle has been cleared!

Now we must be sure NOT TO HIRE SETH APPERT.  

That would be classic Pegula and a classic error...leading to 14 seasons without playoffs.

Gotta bring in the right type of coach; experienced, tough, proven at least to a degree.

He must demand respect from the players and he has to have some level of discipline to help the kids improve.

Berube? Gallant? Boudreau? 

Some will suggest Ruff.  I say "NO" to that, but he would be a big improvement over Granato.

Weird that ALL assistant coaches haven't been fired.  I assume all will be gone once new guy is here and organized.

The next coach has to be a proven playoff coach who is tough, who has an edge.  The players here need to practice well and get some tough love.  No more players coaches in Buffalo.   Look at guys like Tortorella, Laviloette,  Patrick Roy is like that...Brinda' Mour..  etc..   They demand results.

• Like (+1) 1

I never cheer when someone loses their job but this had to happen.

Granato, who is now the sixth-longest-tenured coach in the NHL and the longest-tenured coach who hasn’t made the playoffs. He’s been with the Sabres for more than three full seasons. Only six coaches in NHL history have coached more games without making the playoffs than Granato has.

I think that ⬆️ puts things into perspective.

Granato was routinely out-coached and he’s had no answer for the adjustments teams have made to defending Buffalo.

I am nervous that they are just going to promote Seth Appert. There were already rumors about it before Granato was fired. I will be beyond pissed if that happens.

That would be the FOURTH head coach IN A ROW without any NHL head coaching experience. You can’t do that. You can’t hire back to back to back to back inexperienced head coaches.

They 100% need to hire a head coach with experience, and there are a few good ones currently sitting unemployed.

I don’t really want to bring Lindy back, but I’d take him over Appert if those were my 2 choices. I’d rather they hire someone like Berube or Boudreau or heck, even give me Quenneville (though I doubt that happens).

Not Gallant. He’s not what Buffalo needs. I think he would be a poor fit.

9 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The next coach has to be a proven playoff coach who is tough, who has an edge.  The players here need to practice well and get some tough love.  No more players coaches in Buffalo.   Look at guys like Tortorella, Laviloette,  Patrick Roy is like that...Brinda' Mour..  etc..   They demand results.

Brind’amor is my dream hire. He still hasn’t signed an extension in Carolina (afaik) and I believe his contract expires this offseason.

Pegula should throw a pile of money at him! lol

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Beast said:

The Sabres announced both Granato and Adams will have their end of year presser on Friday.

So, see you in October with the same crew running this show.

Now end of career...

27 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I never cheer when someone loses their job but this had to happen.

I think that ⬆️ puts things into perspective.

Granato was routinely out-coached and he’s had no answer for the adjustments teams have made to defending Buffalo.

I am nervous that they are just going to promote Seth Appert. There were already rumors about it before Granato was fired. I will be beyond pissed if that happens.

That would be the FOURTH head coach IN A ROW without any NHL head coaching experience. You can’t do that. You can’t hire back to back to back to back inexperienced head coaches.

They 100% need to hire a head coach with experience, and there are a few good ones currently sitting unemployed.

I don’t really want to bring Lindy back, but I’d take him over Appert if those were my 2 choices. I’d rather they hire someone like Berube or Boudreau or heck, even give me Quenneville (though I doubt that happens).

Not Gallant. He’s not what Buffalo needs. I think he would be a poor fit.

Brind’amor is my dream hire. He still hasn’t signed an extension in Carolina (afaik) and I believe his contract expires this offseason.

Pegula should throw a pile of money at him! lol

Brind'Amour isn't happening.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Now end of career...

Yeah, I’m shocked to be honest. I thought for sure that end of year presser meant the same crew was being ran back.

Edited by Beast

I haven’t followed hockey since the team was good. Just can’t.

Will say I am surprised they fired the coach.  Expected more of the same. Hopefully they can get a proven guy, someone that can get the most out of our roster.

Not sure who the big names are. Someone mentioned Tortorella.  Loved the fire he has had as a HC through the years, latest record isn’t so good. Ruff, also latest records not great. Had one winning season out of four with NJ, one of the other three was only 30-27.  Loved his passion and honesty when he was with us. Probably need some young blood - someone who can reach the players.

Edited by davefan66

43 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yeah, I’m shocked to be honest. I thought for sure that end of year presser meant the same crew was being ran back.

I would have been shocked if they'd been brought back.  Just missing the playoffs by 1 point last year and then regressing this year said their time was up.

So who would people like to see be brought in as GM and HC?

I don't know hockey like I know football but the lack of defensive structure this year was far too evident. We far too often would be scrambling on defense when it would have been easy to snuff out the chance if we simply knew who had to be where at all times. In October I can blame a player, in January forward it is coaching. The offense is acceptable but the defense is not even close.

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

I would have been shocked if they'd been brought back.  Just missing the playoffs by 1 point last year and then regressing this year said their time was up.

Wouldn’t they have fired Adams along with Granato if they were going that way?

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

Brind’ Amour is my first choice but highly unlikely.

Second, Michael Peca is my guy as I feel he would be a Brind’ Amour type coach in the making.

Third is bringing back Lindy.

This team shouldn’t be focused on anything other than becoming a credible NHL franchise. 

Stop the bleeding then we can talk.

Edited by Beast