Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2023-2024

Draconator

28 minutes ago, jayg said:

Can they pretty,  please, with candy canes on top play like this every night?

Every time I see them play like this, I think 'Yeah, we can roll'!  But it's normally "fools gold."  We'll see. Love the win, but what lies ahead is anybody's guess!

8 minutes ago, muppy said:

nanny nanny boo boo Sabres won! In Baaston.hahahaa

and maybe just maybe the pats* will be doing the Bills a solid by beating Pittsburgh tonight. 2nd half upcoming---

It’s a weird sports night!   I follow the Sabres a little but somehow against the best teams in the league they play well…

Also while that seems to go against every fiber of my being to root for the Patriots I find myself hoping they win tonight.  

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Until Adams finds a #1 goalie we aren't going anywhere toss and I'm sorry I think Levi should stay in Rochester to develop. Toss in meatball can't coach defense. It was nice to win tonight but meh.  I'm not expecting much. 

Levi should say with the Sabres.  Comrie is trash and UPL is inconsistent.

40 minutes ago, Doc said:

The problem is that if you overrely on him at this point, he's still just a kid and he will crack.

I'd prefer he stay in Buffalo too, but they should probably limit his starts.

• Disagree 1

9 hours ago, Simon said:

The problem is that if you overrely on him at this point, he's still just a kid and he will crack.

I'd prefer he stay in Buffalo too, but they should probably limit his starts.

I don't agree with that.  Either you have it or you don't.  That's what the NFL used to think WRT playing QBs as rookies.

But yes, I think they should alternate him and UPL.

23 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Man, I’m really tempted to grab the boy out of school and make the 3 hour drive to TD Garden for the game.  Tickets are unusually cheap right now.  8 rows up in the upper level but center ice going for $80.  Every time I’ve looked before they’ve been $150-$200.  🤔 

Did you end up going? I grabbed a $50 ticket at 4:30 and went. Surprisingly cheap for a Bruins game.

I went expecting the usual beatdown but was treated to actual competent hockey. You saw what happens when a team plays actual defense. By the third period when the Bruins were desperate, Levi was still relatively fresh and shut the door.

12 hours ago, muppy said:

and maybe just maybe the pats* will be doing the Bills a solid by beating Pittsburgh tonight. 2nd half upcoming---

Your wish is granted.

12 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Until Adams finds a #1 goalie we aren't going anywhere toss and I'm sorry I think Levi should stay in Rochester to develop. Toss in meatball can't coach defense. It was nice to win tonight but meh.  I'm not expecting much. 

Play defense and, lo and behold, your goalie improves. Like magic.

11 hours ago, Doc said:

UPL has been the most consistent Sabres goalie this year.

• Disagree 1

12 hours ago, Doc said:

I don't agree with that.  Either you have it or you don't.  That's what the NFL used to think WRT playing QBs as rookies.

But yes, I think they should alternate him and UPL.

Most rookie quarterbacks used to sit back in the day

Especially 20-30 years ago... Very few started game one of their rookie year

Even guys like rivers and Eli Manning sat for a year

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

OTD in 1991:

Boy! We can sure use some of that toughness!!!

I would like to see a full return to those days, but it ain't happening.

It's a different league now.  We do need more "compete" and "sandpaper" though. But that's a little different than the all out wars of the '70s, '80s, and '90s.

I'm simply to the point, now, where I want Pegula to sell the Sabres, focus on the Bills, and give me my team back.

He has proven to be an absolutely HORRIFIC OWNER.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Process said:

My god seeing the stands filled with Montreal fans is embarrassing. It's like a a football game in LA. 

Where do they come from? Montreal is nowhere near here and you have to think most people in Ontario are Toronto fans. 

I was out in Buffalo last night at Hofbraus House and checking out the Christmas Markets and ran into a TON of Montreal fans.  I had a chance to talk to a decent amount of them and none of the ones I talked to were from Montreal but other places in Ontario within a 2-4 hour drive.  

Edited by BillsPride12
  • Like (+1) 1

Beat the Bruins at their home, then lose at home to the .500-ish Canadiens. This team is wildly inconsistent game to game. You never know which Sabres you're going to get.

That inconsistency indicates a coaching problem. It's Granato's job to prepare the team and press whatever buttons are needed to get them on the ice ready to play. He's not fulfilling the basics of his job description.

On 12/10/2023 at 9:14 AM, boater said:

Beat the Bruins at their home, then lose at home to the .500-ish Canadiens. This team is wildly inconsistent game to game. You never know which Sabres you're going to get.

That inconsistency indicates a coaching problem. It's Granato's job to prepare the team and press whatever buttons are needed to get them on the ice ready to play. He's not fulfilling the basics of his job description.

They totally outplayed Montreal.  That 5 minute major was brutal. The right call but awful.  If the Sabres buried any of their great first period chances it would not have mattered though.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/10/2023 at 10:14 AM, boater said:

Its like that all over the league.  There is a lot of parity and good teams getting knocked off by bad.  With the loser point, the league is designed to make .500 very achievable and most teams/fanbases feel like they are in it.   

This season is basically a lost cause already, and probably will be by New year's.  They need to go in the neighborhood of 32-15-5 the rest of the season and they are incapable of winning back to back games.  They habitually come out flat and spot the opposition 2 or 3 goals.  Ownership sits there because of 'communication, authenticity, family, wanting to be here, and being comfortable'.

I like and respect Granato's story and all... but this team right now is the definition of needing a coaching change, and it probably should have been done 3 weeks ago.  NHL coaches have a very limited shelf-life.  Craig Berube got fired the other day and he has won a cup recently.  Granato is the 9th longest-tenured coach in the NHL and he has accomplished nothing tangible.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I was exhausted last night and went to bed super early...looks like I made the right decision.  Woof 

It was the standard script.  Go down early and give up a nearly insurmountable lead. Then decide to start looking like an NHL team after going down 3-0.  Make it a game with a nice goal and start to give fans hope that an inspired comeback is taking place.  Squander a few prime scoring chances, do nothing on the PP.  Give up a goal early in the 3rd period to put the game out of reach.  

These starts are so consistently poor that I don't even know what to take away from strong second periods.  The game dynamics are totally changed once a team goes up 3-0.  I doubt they are playing as hard up 3 as they are up 2 or less.  Do you get credit for making some games interesting after not just shooting but totally blowing your own foot off in the first period?  Its like mounting a comeback against prevent defense after the game is basically out of reach.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

It was the standard script.  Go down early and give up a nearly insurmountable lead. Then decide to start looking like an NHL team after going down 3-0.  Make it a game with a nice goal and start to give fans hope that an inspired comeback is taking place.  Squander a few prime scoring chances, do nothing on the PP.  Give up a goal early in the 3rd period to put the game out of reach.  

These starts are so consistently poor that I don't even know what to take away from strong second periods.  The game dynamics are totally changed once a team goes up 3-0.  I doubt they are playing as hard up 3 as they are up 2 or less.  Do you get credit for making some games interesting after not just shooting but totally blowing your own foot off in the first period?  Its like mounting a comeback against prevent defense after the game is basically out of reach.  

The inconsistency of this team is infuriating!  It's not like we don't have any talent but there are too many games they come out completely flat.  Every once in awhile they get a shot of juice through the veins and they look like a completely different team playing a completely different brand of hockey but I don't understand why it's so hard for them to maintain that level of play.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

The inconsistency of this team is infuriating!  It's not like we don't have any talent but there are too many games they come out completely flat.  Every once in awhile they get a shot of juice through the veins and they look like a completely different team playing a completely different brand of hockey but I don't understand why it's so hard for them to maintain that level of play.

An off night cannot be 50% of all nights.  Its not like its been good effort and a few mental lapses to give up soft goals like last year or the old script where they give up a goal and then the wheels come off for 5 minutes before composure returns.  They are so flat coming out of the gate that they're getting shelled and the game is essentially lost in the opening period.

Dahlin and Peterka played one of the worst shifts I have witnessed on the second goal.  Dahlin is far too experienced to continue to be giving up these WTF type goals. He turned the puck over like 5 times on that shift and Peterka tried to outdo him.  

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Weak goaltending and weak defensive zone play. Despite the young offensive talent, the team is fundamentally flawed as currently constructed.

All of that plus add weak coaching and a learning on the job general manager what could go wrong? The Buffalo Sabres if they miss the playoffs again at the end of the season need to hire an experienced NHL proven head coach. And for the love of the Buffalo Sabres in Buffalo this franchise needs to seriously look at their ticket pricing structure in the offseason because it’s embarrassing these Sabres games either half empty or the opposing team fans make up roughly 1/4 of the arena crowd to be kind it could be a 1/3 if not half 1/2 or more when Toronto and Montreal come to town that is telling it like it is the truth which I realize the Sabres organization has trouble accepting. Sabres ticket prices need to come way down more than Sabres cheap kids tickets with a paying parent. The Sabres attendance problems need way more than that to fix the major Sabres attendance problems in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Much more entertaining game than I was expecting.  Cozens best game of this season by far and Levi has made a lot of huge saves.  Nice to see Krebsy getting after Eichel even though didn't look like a dirty hit, would be nice if the Sabres can get pull off a Win. 

And Benson? Kid's amazing. Has to be on the RoY radar.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

These guys are so hard to watch 🤦🏻‍♂️….Drought will extend another year. 

Just now, Dr. Who said:

Yeah, they are an utter embarrassment. 

Yep.  Watched the first period but I'm not pissing away the rest of my night watching this type of game yet again.  After scrolling through here a little I am putting on Christmas shows the rest of the night.

• Like (+1) 1