goofy Allen vs serious Allen

ganesh

Josh Allen appears very serious in all the events and press conference during this off season.  Compared to it, he was goofing around and loose in previous off seasons. 

I usually find him playing well when he is loose and comfortable.   Anyone else notice this marked difference ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

Well, that goes with the territory of having expectations. In his first few years there were really none. Now every play, every decision is over analyzed by everyone.  Lots of pressure on his shoulders. 

He's to a point in his career where the pressure can make or break a guy. I believe Josh has the DNA of a guy that will rise to it 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

He’s far too commercialized - becoming a distraction for the team. 

No doubt, and what about those fashion shoots, is horse racing consuming his attention…, 

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Josh Allen appears very serious in all the events and press conference during this off season.  Compared to it, he was goofing around and loose in previous off seasons. 

I usually find him playing well when he is loose and comfortable.   Anyone else notice this marked difference ?

How do you know how he plays when he is “very serous” if all you have seen is “loose and comfortable“? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Really difficult season. Bad Bengals loss. Bad breakup. 

Coaches say he’s locked in, but I need to see it to believe it. Stanfield can EASILY become a distraction. She’s not a regular girl like the ex was. Not saying she will, but she could. Having a Hollywood/music industry partner is a distraction with a high amount of temptation and jealousy potential. 

Mentally it could go either way for Josh. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

OR the counterpoint  to his GF being a distraction maybe she will be a huge ASSET. She doesn't "need"  him and he clearly doesn't  "need" her.

Both careers are very secure . Whatever distance between them could either help or hurt him.

That's true with Any relationship though.  I think people sometimes discount just how smart a guy like Josh Allen is. On the field Brilliance. I dare think off the field too.

All this borrowing trouble though....😶

• Like (+1) 6

Inside the Mafia and with majority of Media, Allen will always have high praise for his athletic Ability and stats.

outside those two bubbles…his career has already begun to trend more toward the Phil Mickleson, P. Manning (pre them winning)

lots of stats, lots of highlights…but no hardware.

it’s the type of narrative that leads to other teams fans and a national narrative that screams “stop forcing Allen down our throats.”

of course that all goes away if he wins a title or MVP or both.

• Eyeroll 3

1 hour ago, Coldfronts said:

He is still a big fish in a very small pond.  I think he knows this

That isn't true even in the slightest. 

He's a pretty big fish in the pond of the NFL. Near the tops of MVP betting odds annually. Madden cover. Continued national coverage. National commercial deals. He's easily one of the 4-5 guys that serve as the current face of the NFL. He's the biggest reason that Buffalo is wanted for so many national games. Josh Allen is must see TV and a guy that most fans enjoy seeing play. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

How can we take this bum seriously when he is so serious?

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

Coaches say he’s locked in, but I need to see it to believe it. Stanfield can EASILY become a distraction. She’s not a regular girl like the ex was. Not saying she will, but she could. Having a Hollywood/music industry partner is a distraction with a high amount of temptation and jealousy potential. 

Thank you for your psychological analysis, Dr.  Phil.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

not sure how 'regular' the other girl was. she seemed to love the 'insta' life and being seen in NYC or LA. i think she was getting a bit too Hollywood for joshy

17 minutes ago, Shemp said:

Josh has become a Hollywood finnochio.

not sure you know what finocchio means in slang

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Inside the Mafia and with majority of Media, Allen will always have high praise for his athletic Ability and stats.

outside those two bubbles…his career has already begun to trend more toward the Phil Mickleson, P. Manning (pre them winning)

lots of stats, lots of highlights…but no hardware.

it’s the type of narrative that leads to other teams fans and a national narrative that screams “stop forcing Allen down our throats.”

of course that all goes away if he wins a title or MVP or both.

You’ve got it wrong. The NFL is entertainment. Allen in an NFL game = lots of eyeballs watching screens. Fans - Bills fans,  casual fans, other teams fans watch because Allen is entertaining. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, muppy said:

OR the counterpoint  to his GF being a distraction maybe she will be a huge ASSET. She doesn't "need"  him and he clearly doesn't  "need" her.

Both careers are very secure . Whatever distance between them could either help or hurt him.

That's true with Any relationship though.  I think people sometimes discount just how smart a guy like Josh Allen is. On the field Brilliance. I dare think off the field too.

All this borrowing trouble though....😶

One big change will be that I am pretty sure Hailee Steinfeld won't be moving to Buffalo during the season.

4 hours ago, ganesh said:

It’s because he’s super duper focused going forward. 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

You’ve got it wrong. The NFL is entertainment. Allen in an NFL game = lots of eyeballs watching screens. Fans - Bills fans,  casual fans, other teams fans watch because Allen is entertaining. 

No doubt people will watch.  He’s prime time tv.

but as his hype grows and no hardware arrives…the sentiment/narrative amongst other teams fans…is souring.  It already is.

There needs to be hardware to support the hype.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

but as his hype grows and no hardware arrives…the sentiment/narrative amongst other teams fans…is souring.  It already is.

Same energy for Burrow I assume

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Same energy for Burrow I assume

Definitely.  You only get so long in the spotlight before you have to have the hardware to justify it.

Allen and Burrow are in the crosshairs now.

Herbert, Hurts and Lawrence are on deck.

Jackson is tricky.  He has the MVP and $$$$.  But the media narrative has cooled on him being some generational talent.  So the national eyeballs aren’t really on him anymore.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

More focused...he realizes he has the talent and the physical ability to be the best QB in the NFL and cement his status as a future 1st ballot HOFer. 

The only thing standing in his way is himself. I think we are seeing him push himself to be greater than he already is. 

Part of the maturing process.

I actually noticed this during the year last year.  Part of it was probably expectations and part was a lot bad stuff going down (Kim, Knox's brother, the breakup), but early in the year Josh was laughing when he got knocked out of bounds, he was getting lifted like the girl in Dirty Dancing when he came off the field.  The whole team was the fun bunch and I think they played much better when they were loose like that...and seemed tighter as the year went on.

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Nah, he’s fun to watch . He’s good, and as long as that’s the case fans will continue to watch. The sentiment among other teams fans usually sours once a title or multiple titles are won. They start to hate what was once a cool story. They get sick of it because it’s been done. Anyway, the fact remains that as long as Allen performs at an elite level and does things on the field that are athletically unique and incredible they’ll watch and watch again. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, fergie's ire said:

I actually noticed this during the year last year.  Part of it was probably expectations and part was a lot bad stuff going down (Kim, Knox's brother, the breakup), but early in the year Josh was laughing when he got knocked out of bounds, he was getting lifted like the girl in Dirty Dancing when he came off the field.  The whole team was the fun bunch and I think they played much better when they were loose like that...and seemed tighter as the year went on.

Having a player almost die right in front of your eyes will do that.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

Having a player almost die right in front of your eyes will do that.

Yes, that too....and having to deal with a blizzard...and a mass shooting in town before the year.  There were just so many things that I think had a cumulative effect as the year wore on and players talked about having nothing left by the time the playoffs came around.  I just hope they have a better year this year and can re-find that joy.  Not only do they seem to play better, but I really enjoy that fun loving team.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

That isn't true even in the slightest. 

He's a pretty big fish in the pond of the NFL. Near the tops of MVP betting odds annually. Madden cover. Continued national coverage. National commercial deals. He's easily one of the 4-5 guys that serve as the current face of the NFL. He's the biggest reason that Buffalo is wanted for so many national games. Josh Allen is must see TV and a guy that most fans enjoy seeing play. 

You missed the point. The small pond is Buffalo.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.