Former first round picks on our defensive line

• John from Riverside changed the title to Former first round picks on our defensive line
39 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Groot

von

oliver

floyd

how about that

Not sure I'd consider the efforts of all 4 are consistently of a 1st round caliber of defensive player for me.  Of the 4 I'd say Von was the most consistent but he's also the talented veteran so I'd expect him to be consistent on experience alone.  Did we have an y other 1st rounders back in  the Bruce Smith years on defense?  I don't recall that we did.  I know we did get Bennett but he was a lb not dl.

Plus, you know, the guy we drafted in the first round.  Shaq's career and perception among Bills fans is truly unique for an underwhelming Bills first round pick.

45 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Lawson was as well.

Shane Ray too.  Maybe we can pry Maybin away from his art career.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Plus, you know, the guy we drafted in the first round.  Shaq's career and perception among Bills fans is truly unique for an underwhelming Bills first round pick.

Nah, Maybin would have to bulk up again…, 

😂

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Groot

von

oliver

floyd

how about that

I am saying it right now... This DL is going to over produce and go over expectations of others by the time this year is done (barring injuries) When that big body is going to be in on all this at DT? We will create matchup nightmares on any OL that is not a top 5 OL. Groot and Oliver take any kind of small step forward? oh boy :D 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Groot

von

oliver

floyd

how about that

I think this years D is going to be a lot better on the field don't really care about the certain stats as far as where they rank but i think they will be getting after it & there will be a lot more pressure put on the opposing teams than what we have seen in the recent past ...

GO BILLS !!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Bills have had a lot of first rounders on the d line for a quite while. 

2021 had five:

Jerry Hughes

Star Lotulelei

Greg Rousseau

Vernon Butler

Ed Oliver

2020 had three:

Jerry Hughes

Vernon Butler

Ed Oliver

2019 also had five:

Jerry Hughes

Ed Oliver

Star Lotulelei

Corey Liuget

Shaq Lawson

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I am saying it right now... This DL is going to over produce and go over expectations of others by the time this year is done (barring injuries) When that big body is going to be in on all this at DT? We will create matchup nightmares on any OL that is not a top 5 OL. Groot and Oliver take any kind of small step forward? oh boy :D 

Agreed.  Stay healthy and our D will be a menace 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, T master said:

I think this years D is going to be a lot better on the field don't really care about the certain stats as far as where they rank but i think they will be getting after it & there will be a lot more pressure put on the opposing teams than what we have seen in the recent past ...

GO BILLS !!!!

Is this based on anything other than willful optimism?

• Eyeroll 1

19 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Von Miller returning, adding Leonard floyd and Poona Ford.  Hyde returning. Poyer being healthy.  Tre being recovered.  Elam and Benford with a years experience. Rousseau continuing to improve.  

but you be you 🧌 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think there is a big difference between Willful Optimism and just looking at things a cup half full, knowing what is ahead of us. What the Bills did this off season made me optimistic... and I am sure if we threw a poll up showing names, 75% of this board would be optimistic.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  Stay healthy and our D will be a menace 

And I am expecting our offense to be improved and it already was very good.  Our defense is gonna feast as the opponents won't have much choice but to pass and trying to keep up with the Allen's will cause major opponent discombobulations.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Not sure I'd consider the efforts of all 4 are consistently of a 1st round caliber of defensive player for me.  Of the 4 I'd say Von was the most consistent but he's also the talented veteran so I'd expect him to be consistent on experience alone.  Did we have an y other 1st rounders back in  the Bruce Smith years on defense?  I don't recall that we did.  I know we did get Bennett but he was a lb not dl.

Art Still was the #2 pick in the draft

18 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Smerlas and Hansen were second rounders

1 minute ago, boyst said:

I'm glad others brought up Ray and Lawson. The former is equal to that San Diego linebacker who came here and did nothing several years ago. The latter equal to Chris Kelsey. 

Ok.. guess that’s why they are getting the minimum and are battling to make the team 

19 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

LB Conlan, Jim Jeffcoat and Ted Washington were 1sts, Smerlas, Hansen were 2nds. Toss in Henry Jones was a 1st and the constant influx of CBs that were 1sts. Bruce has talent around him. Mind you the best pass rusher he played with Paup was a 6th. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

LB Conlan, Jim Jeffcoat and Ted Washington were 1sts, Smerlas, Hansen were 2nds. Toss in Henry Jones was a 1st and the constant influx of CBs that were 1sts. Bruce has talent around him. Mind you the best pass rusher he played with Paup was a 6th. 

Well I know we had other 1st rounders on defense I meant on the dline with him.

Edited by AuntieEm

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Ok.. guess that’s why they are getting the minimum and are battling to make the team 

What do you mean? That Sean dude linebacker was terrible by the time he got here. Too small and beat up, just like ray. And then Chris Kelsey was always overpaid an underrated, well Lawson is underrated and underpaid. I was not insulting either one of them. Just the truth

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

I'm glad others brought up Ray and Lawson. The former is equal to that San Diego linebacker who came here and did nothing several years ago. The latter equal to Chris Kelsey. 

Shawne Merriman.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, boyst said:

What do you mean? That Sean dude linebacker was terrible by the time he got here. Too small and beat up, just like ray. And then Chris Kelsey was always overpaid an underrated, well Lawson is underrated and underpaid. I was not insulting either one of them. Just the truth

Well .. I’m confused now… are you comparing  Kelsey to Lawson or not ?Your first post does and this one doesn’t? 

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Well .. I’m confused now… are you comparing  Kelsey to Lawson or not ?Your first post does and this one doesn’t? 

Yes. Lawson is Kelsey. Kelsey was overpaid and overvalued by our FO. But he was also underappreciated by our fanbase. 

13 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Better than Bennett you think? Bennett was a #2 overall pick and had a much longer track record of success than Paup, who only really had the one great year for the Bills.

Edited by vincec

13 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Well I know we had other 1st rounders on defense I meant on the dline with him.

In a 3-4 defense, the OLBs are basically the same as Von Miller or Hughes are/were in the 4-3.

Bennett-Still-Smerlas-Smith-Talley … a #1 overall, two #2 overalls, and two 2nd round picks. A lot of investment, and for my money, the best defensive front the Bills have ever had.

Edited by vincec
  • Agree 1

On 6/6/2023 at 11:09 PM, AuntieEm said:

Em, you’re probably not used to Floyd yet, but the guy once he got the heck out of Chicago has compiled 29.5 sacks in the last 3 years.  He’s an underrated addition to this team.  

On paper this may be the most talented defense in McD 7 years.  I understand the speed angle McBeane is shooting for in Dorian and Bernard.  We have 1st and 2nd team all pros at all 3 levels.  Von, Milano, Hyde, Poyer, and Tre.  We also have one of the top Nickel CBs in Taron.  We have a great big Nickel when we want power and cover skills swapping Rapp for Taron when we face heavy 12 personnel and running teams.

I just don’t know how people Arent a little excited about a historically too 3 defense for the last 5 years and now May reach the #1 slot.

On offense we no have a real 12 option and upgraded our G’s in McGovern and Mt. O Cyrus.

I guess the question marks comes down to Spencer finally healed his neck and back and has an entire off season to take the leap to the next level.  We also are the 2nd WR as a question.  Was the ankle really holding him back last year.  If so, can Harty stay healthy, can Sherfield make an impact?  Can Davis ascend a true #2?

Those are my only real questions.  It’s June so I remain hopeful.

2 hours ago, vincec said:

Better than Bennett you think? Bennett was a #2 overall pick and had a much longer track record of success than Paup, who only really had the one great year for the Bills.

Bennett never reach double digits in sacks in a single season, Paul did twice. Toss in Paup had more seasons with at least 6 seasons. I think Bennett was a tad over rated. 

On 6/6/2023 at 11:14 PM, Doc Brown said:

Awesome!

On 6/6/2023 at 10:25 PM, John from Riverside said:

Groot

von

oliver

floyd

how about that

I put no import on draft position or their accomplishments at age 20 after they’ve become vetrans. Should we minimize Milano’s status, being a mid-late draft pick? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.