Bills at jets monday opener ESPN/ABC on week 1

djp14150

5 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

They are a horrible matchup for us in almost every way and it's going to be their Super Bowl. 

Why on earth would week 1 against the Bills be "their Super Bowl"?

They traded a bunch of draft capital away for a 40 year old QB thinking they can make it to the ACTUAL Super Bowl. I really don't think week 1 against a Bills team that wasn't even in the AFC Championship game last year is gonna be some big deal to them.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Logic said:

They traded a bunch of draft capital away for a 40 year old QB thinking they can make it to the ACTUAL Super Bowl. I really don't think week 1 against a Bills team that wasn't even in the AFC Championship game last year is gonna be some big deal to them.

Because they are going to want to come out flying and we are the top dog in the division. 

It's also a defense we already struggle with, tbh Rodgers isn't that much of my concern.

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Because they are going to want to come out flying and we are the top dog in the division. 

It's also a defense we already struggle with, tbh Rodgers isn't that much of my concern.

Yeah I agree that they're going to come out fired up -- as I would hope every NFL team does in week 1. I'm sure it being on Monday night and the 9/11 atmosphere and the first game with Rodgers will have everyone frothing, too.

I just think the "it's their Super Bowl" line is overused, I guess. Sometimes, I think there probably ARE games like that for teams in the NFL. The 2021 Bills vs Chiefs regular season game, for instance, kind of had that feel for the Bills. But by and large, I think it's an overblown concept, particularly as it relates to to the Bills. We may have won the division the past few years, but it's not like we're winning Lombardis or even sniffing Super Bowls lately, so I don't think I buy the notion that teams are much more fired up to play Buffalo than they would be to play any other opponent.

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

It’s going to be a huge deal for them now that they put it on Monday night. Everybody is ready to crown the jets now. It kinda feels like we were that feel good story the past few years and all the outsiders were happy we turned it around, and now they’re done with us. So it’ll feel pretty good if we stick it to them week one

4 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

There’s a BIG difference between wanting to come out flying and the game being their Super Bowl. 

team trades for a HoF QB and you proclaim week 1 to be their Super Bowl.  🤦🏻‍♂️ unreal

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

No idea what the spread is or will even be but I'm taking the Jets with whatever number there is.

They are a horrible matchup for us in almost every way and it's going to be their Super Bowl. 

I find it interesting when people say someone is a horrible matchup for us given:

-New LG

-New RG

-New RB

-New TE

-New WR

Year 2 of Dorsey - likely a variation of scheme with the addition of Kincaid and more of a power element on the OL/RB room.

Frazier out / McDermott in.  Coaching change and loss of Edmunds with the addition of Rapp/Ford, return of Hyde, likely leading to a variation of scheme on the defensive side as well. 

How on earth would we know who does, or doesn't, match up well with us?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I find it interesting when people say someone is a horrible matchup for us given:

-New LG

-New RG

-New RB

-New TE

-New WR

Year 2 of Dorsey - likely a variation of scheme with the addition of Kincaid and more of a power element on the OL/RB room.

Frazier out / McDermott in.  Coaching change and loss of Edmunds with the addition of Rapp/Ford, return of Hyde, likely leading to a variation of scheme on the defensive side as well. 

How on earth would we know who does, or doesn't, match up well with us?

They are soft until proven otherwise. This is a good opportunity to start to show that there has been a change. Handle the Jets d line better than they have been able to, run the ball against a physical defense, stop the run against an offense that wants to run it on you, get pressure on Rogers. All things they've struggled with. 

Color me skeptical of the new line and very skeptical of the defense up the middle.

• Agree 1

On the road again to open in PrimeTime.

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's the price of being good. Besides, more early road games mean more of the cold weather home games we love. (We love those, right?)

Yeah, we had more non 1pm games last year than I can ever remember.

3 hours ago, BBMB Poster said:

I love it.  We find out right off the bat, if the balance of power has shifted in the AFC East. 

I love the match up, don't love the time.

Enduring an entire opening Sunday, and still not having Bills football back, is going to suck.

The anticipation on Monday will be great, however.

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

I think this is good.  Rodgers has had a great career, but even he will be nervous in his first game in Jets green.  Add that to a raucous atmosphere and high expectations...I like catching him in his first NYJ game.  Also, the Bills are an excellent road team under this regime.  It will be a tough game but the Bills will show up here.

I would expect Rodgers to play as well as we've seen in 3 or 4 years.

I expect a really tough game and this could super easily be a loss; maybe an ugly one.

It's impossible to say at this point.  I have no idea how to judge what the Jets will do this year until we watch them play 5 or 6 games.

9 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

They are soft until proven otherwise. This is a good opportunity to start to show that there has been a change. Handle the Jets d line better than they have been able to, run the ball against a physical defense, stop the run against an offense that wants to run it on you, get pressure on Rogers. All things they've struggled with. 

Color me skeptical of the new line and very skeptical of the defense up the middle.

I actually think the jets O may be easier to play against this year 

shanahan run O / good rush attack and quick short passing game really messes with us

im counting on Hackett (can’t believe he has a job) to make it so much easier to play against 

• Like (+1) 1

We have to play them twice anyway.  Might as well open with them - as others have wisely said - hopefully before Rodgers develops timing & rhythm with his pass-catchers.

The Jets were good last year outside of the QB position.  It should be a fun game, pitting the grizzled, old-generation signal caller versus the exciting young gun. 

Good storylines: Can the savvy, ring-wearing, maybe long-in-the-tooth veteran resuscitate a moribund Jets franchise and have them compete with the AFCE's new king of the hill?   Will a Bills franchise beset by challenges in 2022 return this year better and stronger?  

30 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

No idea what the spread is or will even be but I'm taking the Jets with whatever number there is.

I agree that last year the Jets became a matchup problem for us, but I wasn’t surprised as Joe Douglas built them with that exact result in mind. He knows that winning the division is always job one after all. But the Bills, on paper at least, addressed two key factors in the matchup issue by improving the O line and adding a viable outlet threat in Kincaid. Double TE sets with two legit receiving threats at the position can give teams like the Jets problems. But the OL must hold their own for it to work, obviously. 

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

I like it.

Bills should have a good idea of what the Jets defense looks like given they haven't changed much (aside from adding a couple pieces).

First Rodgers game with his new team. 

No one will have any idea what to really expect from a McDermott led defense. 

And just like Rodgers is going to want to make a statement.... you know McD, first game as HC/DC, will be looking to make a statement also.

I think our defense will look just about exactly the same as it has looked since McD was the head coach.

Just now, GETTOTHE50 said:

We’re gonna beat the jets 31-10.

rodgers takes a long time to develop trust in his offense. 

with Hyde, poyer, and tre fully healthy, it’s not gonna be close. Plus Elam coming into his second year? Forget about it 

They still have that defense that gave us problems in both games last year. If the Bills do win, I could see something like 20-17.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I agree that last year the Jets became a matchup problem for us, but I wasn’t surprised as Joe Douglas built them with that exact result in mind. He knows that winning the division is always job one after all. But the Bills, on paper at least, addressed two key factors in the matchup issue by improving the O line and adding a viable outlet threat in Kincaid. Double TE sets with two legit receiving threats at the position can give teams like the Jets problems. But the OL must hold their own for it to work, obviously. 

I'm not pinning anything on a rookie TE when they don't throw to the one they have. Having a player is one thing. Having that player on the field is two and having the QB actually throw that player the ball rather than run or force it elsewhere is a third.

I'm really curious, listening to Beane talk about Kincaid as a flex TE, what's the actual difference between a flex TE and a slow slot WR? If he's not going to block you don't have to treat him like a TE. He's also 6'3, not 6'6 like Gronkowski was so there are a lot more DBs that can handle him.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Gregg said:

They still have that defense that gave us problems in both games last year. If the Bills do win, I could see something like 20-17.

bills have a revamped offensive line, kincaid, and harris/cook. as long as dorsey doesnt call deep shots every other play like he did last year, then we should be fine

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

bills have a revamped offensive line, kincaid, and harris/cook. as long as dorsey doesnt call deep shots every other play like he did last year, then we should be fine

All the more reason the Bills could struggle offensively. Lot of new faces could take time to gell. Still think the Bills will win though.

The Bills have marinated this offseason in the inexplicable blowout loss in the playoffs.  Every national media ripped them apart. We have a great QB, continuity at OC, a solid and probably more aggressive D, great special teams... they will come out on fire and catch the Jets being over-aggressive...trying to break in a new offense and communication.

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

All the more reason the Bills could struggle offensively. Lot of new faces could take time to gell. Still think the Bills will win though.

the bills arent showcasing a new oc and qb. the bills also have better weapons. so no.

Edited by GETTOTHE50
  • Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I'm not pinning anything on a rookie TE when they don't throw to the one they have. Having a player is one thing. Having that player on the field is two and having the QB actually throw that player the ball rather than run or force it elsewhere is a third.

I'm really curious, listening to Beane talk about Kincaid as a flex TE, what's the actual difference between a flex TE and a slow slot WR? If he's not going to block you don't have to treat him like a TE. He's also 6'3, not 6'6 like Gronkowski was so there are a lot more DBs that can handle him.

You're welcome to your skepticism, and it may be well-founded.  But I'll pick a nit - Kincaid is listed at 6'4".  Is it a big difference or big deal?  Probably just shades of gray.  There will be fewer DBs that can handle him than if he were 6' 3", but certainly more than could handle Gronkowski.

Regardless - big stage, big game.  I frankly don't mind if all the media hype is on the Jets.  I think the Bills started believing their own BS last year.  Week 1 is a big test.

21 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

We’re gonna beat the jets 31-10.

rodgers takes a long time to develop trust in his offense. 

with Hyde, poyer, and tre fully healthy, it’s not gonna be close. Plus Elam coming into his second year? Forget about it 

I was thinking that same score

• Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Yes, and that’s why I couched my remarks with the term “on paper.” 

That said, there are a number of different ways to line up Kincaid in order to exploit a matchup other than in the slot. I’ll have to wait and see how easy it is for CBs to match up though. At 6’4” and 240lbs, he is four inches taller and nearly 50lbs heavier than average CB. But I think they will try to force LB matchups more often. 

But I’m more concerned about the O line and whether or not it’s improved enough to at least play the Jets D line to a draw more often than not. That’s another way double TE sets against their D might help as well. 

It will be interesting to see what Dorsey schemes up. 

4 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Or you could look at it like Rodgers will be fresh to start the year and it’s good for the Jets.  Good litmus test for both teams to start the year though. 

Last few year Rodgers has been nutritiously slow starter, recall him and R E L A X non-sense.  I doubt he will be in top form.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah cause we dominate in bad weather....🙄

It's an advantage. Don't you read the posts? An advantage, I tell you!!!!

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Last few year Rodgers has been nutritiously slow starter, recall him and R E L A X non-sense.  I doubt he will be in top form.

turtles eat GIF

35 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

You can try and fix or build them any way you want to,  but we all know its the same old Jets !!!   Going to be crashing for sure on MNF on 9/11 !!!

plane crash GIF

Yeah that is cute and all but that is what the entire league has been saying about the Bills until a few year ago.  I sure hope you are right though.

This FEELS like it could be a classic Jets blunder, just like Zach Wilson being the answer.  Overpay for a , lets be gracious and say "unique" darn near over the hill QB.  Ahh I vividly recall that loudmouth Mike Greenberg extolling about the wunderkid Zach Wilson after one excellent pre-season game, he was giddy with excitement.  I think Rodgers could be the epic fail of all time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.