Prayers for Shaquil Barrett's family

TBBills Fan

1 hour ago, TBBills Fan said:

Oh no! That is so terrible and unfortunately an all too common occurrence...

Prayers to him and his family.

As someone expecting his first born here anytime between now and the next few weeks, this was both heartbreaking and terrifying when I got the text alert of this earlier.  Can’t even imagine what they are going through and heart goes to him and his family.  

• Like (+1) 1

My wife and I put a pool in before we had children.  Once our first child started crawling I started getting extremely nervous and for as absent minded as I can be, the exterior doors and pool were always locked down.  

We had two issues over the years.  We had a lawn care company that left the pool gate open after their work was done, and when I called them on it, they seemed somewhat unimpressed with my concern.  I knew the guys pretty well, and liked them generally but cancelled the service immediately. 

A few years later, we were having an addition put on and the day it started, there was quite a bit of activity.  Our child care provider came looking for me in a panic, our youngest was missing.  Our house borders on about 20 acres, so I sent my wife and babysitter that way while I hustled back to the pool and heavy equipment that was back there.  A tarp had blown into the water and as I pulled it out of the water my heart was beating out of my chest.  

Thankfully the little rascal had hidden in the garage and was having a grand old time while we were going crazy looking for him.    The baby sitter cried like a baby when we found him safe. 

What a tragic story for Shaq and his family, absolutely heartbreaking.   

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

My wife and I put a pool in before we had children.  Once our first child started crawling I started getting extremely nervous and for as absent minded as I can be, the exterior doors and pool were always locked down.  

We had two issues over the years.  We had a lawn care company that left the pool gate open after their work was done, and when I called them on it, they seemed somewhat unimpressed with my concern.  I knew the guys pretty well, and liked them generally but cancelled the service immediately. 

A few years later, we were having an addition put on and the day it started, there was quite a bit of activity.  Our child care provider came looking for me in a panic, our youngest was missing.  Our house borders on about 20 acres, so I sent my wife and babysitter that way while I hustled back to the pool and heavy equipment that was back there.  A tarp had blown into the water and as I pulled it out of the water my heart was beating out of my chest.  

Thankfully the little rascal had hidden in the garage and was having a grand old time while we were going crazy looking for him.    The baby sitter cried like a baby when we found him safe. 

What a tragic story for Shaq and his family, absolutely heartbreaking.   

In Australia, it is mandatory to have pools with secure, lockable gates and fencing. It still happens a bit, but at least it reduces the amount of these accidents.

Like, the list is exhaustive!

• By law your pool or spa must be registered with council relevant to your area.
  • If a pool or spa has a depth of 30cm or more (300mm), it is required to be surrounded by safety barrier. This includes inflatable pools.
  • All pools must be fully enclosed by a barrier that is at least 1200mm in height, barriers can include fencing or walls.
  • The bottom of the pool fence and gate must be no more than 100mm off the ground.
  • If the horizontal rails are 900mm or more apart the verticals cannot exceed 100mm apart.
  • If the horizontals are less than 900mm apart the verticals must be no more than 10mm wide.
  • The gate must open away from the pool and never be propped open.
  • The gate must be self-closing from any position and self-latching.
  • The gate latch must be located at least 1500mm above the ground and at least 1400mm above the top part of the horizontal railings. Or the gate latch must be located on the inside of the fence.
  • All climbable objects must be at least 900mm away from the fence on the outside.
  • All non-climbable objects must not be within 300mm of the pool fence on the inside.
  • You must display a CPR sign prominently in the pool area (it should be legible from at least 3m away).
  • You cannot have a door access the pool from the house. Any windows around the pool must not open more than 100mm (excpet in Victoria they must not open more than 125mm) or must have screens and or locks.
  • Before selling, leasing or renting a property with a pool, you must obtain a pool safety certificate.

That said, recently a child snuck through a crack in the fence and drowned in the next door neighbour's pool because it wasn't secured as above, due to the fact there was no children living at the place. Terrible

😥 RIP little angel

My childhood friend had a brother that drowned at like 4 y.o

She was 12 at the time and the grief and blame they hold to this day , 20 years later, is heartbreaking.  

Edited by JerseyBills

I couldn’t imagine this loss.  I don’t know Shaq, but have friends who’ve either met him and his family or are maybe at best acquaintances.   All have said what a nice family and down to earth.

I’ll say prayers, but just so terrible.  Being here since before kids, we placed those fences that encircle the perimeter of the pool except when entertaining family.  There were always a dozen adults thought to watch my now adult kids when little.  I never trusted just locking the two sliding glass doors as it only takes once for a nightmare.

God this sucks.

2 hours ago, OZBILLS said:

In Australia, it is mandatory to have pools with secure, lockable gates and fencing. It still happens a bit, but at least it reduces the amount of these accidents.

That's the law in most cities in the US as well, but of course the presence of fencing and a gate does not mean the gate will be properly closed and latched 100%, or that an athletic 2 yr old won't figure out how to get over the fence and into trouble.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

That's the law in most cities in the US as well, but of course the presence of fencing and a gate does not mean the gate will be properly closed and latched 100%, or that an athletic 2 yr old won't figure out how to get over the fence and into trouble.

Well those rules should minimise athletic 2 year olds.

My bet is that this pool was not fenced. Such a shame :(

My Aunt and Uncle had a farm with a pond in Newark, NY which we would go to annually for a family reunion.

There were always a variety of ages there in it and always an adult watching it.

One time there was a bunch of kids lined up on diving board and I was sitting on bank.

I saw a kid in middle of pond go down but not come back up so I ran down to diving board, pushed kids into water who were standing on board waiting for turn to jump, dived from end to middle of pond and pulled my cousin out of pond.  This was a typical muddy pond so no idea on how I found him but just lucky I remembered right spot I last saw him.  Carried him out of water and got him breathing mostly by making him cough up the mud and water.

My uncle had gone into house to call for an ambulance and he was taken to hospital.  No lasting effects.

After that my uncle decided I was old and responsible enough to watch pond and gave me his fishing hat to wear when I was in charge.

It is a bit amazing that in all of the years there this was only incident since water safety was not a priority for the kids there.

Once a cousin was screamed at by his Aunt for leaving his little sibling alone in kiddie pool while he went into house to get a drink.

For children under 5 you need someone constantly watching including paying attention at all times to pools even kiddie pools.

Seen one child slip in pool, bumped head on bottom and not get up but someone was there to pull him out.

My sympathies to family. Someone will have gilt trip for rest of their life.

Edited by Limeaid
typo
  • Like (+1) 1

Horrible.  Anyone with a pool and small children who cannot swim needs to have a fence around the pool.  Not the yard, around the pool.  These incidents happen in a matter of seconds and often involve no splashing around whatsoever.  Just horrible.

4 hours ago, OZBILLS said:

Well those rules should minimise athletic 2 year olds.

My bet is that this pool was not fenced. Such a shame :(

I don't know, but honestly, I don't see the value in speculating like that.   It's basically looking to see if one can point the finger at the parents while they deal with tragedy.   If there are older kids running in and out of the pool, I know it's all too easy for the gate to be left open or not firmly latched and a toddler to toddle in.  Nothing happened when I saw this but it could have.

I do see value in pointing out that all pools should be fenced and the fence kept locked, to minimize the chances.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.