Please Do Not Tip The Selections

CNYfan

Just now, Bob Jones said:

Seriously?! For folks like you, who need to be "surprised" by what you're watching on your TV, the EASY answer is to stay OFF of your phone/tablet/IPad....STAY OFF of the internet/social media and ONLY watch your TV. This is mind boggling, in that it's so, so easy for those who don't want to be "tipped!" What am I missing here?

Or you know, don't regurgitate on a forum what you know everyone will know in about 2-3 minutes anyway? Honestly what is the point of listing the name of the pick with no analysis oncesoever? It is just as easy to just not do that or at least provide some substance around the post which then would also give everyone else time to catch up...

That's what you are missing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Seriously?! For folks like you, who need to be "surprised" by what you're watching on your TV, the EASY answer is to stay OFF of your phone/tablet/IPad....STAY OFF of the internet/social media and ONLY watch your TV. This is mind boggling, in that it's so, so easy for those who don't want to be "tipped!" What am I missing here?

I don't want to be tipped but I do want to discuss. It is supremely irritating. When you reply to a post in the discussion and when it loads up the post right in front of it is someone tipping a pick. 

Like I say, last night was pretty good for the most part. I think we only had two tips picked. But anyone posting that draft diamonds twitter site that tips picks in the thread would be an INSTANT ban if I were a mod

• Like (+1) 3

What do you mean by "tipping picks" ??

Someone has a crystal ball?  Or do you mean he has an extra fast internet hookup or something and gets the news 10 seconds before the rest of the world?

Who cares?

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't want to be tipped but I do want to discuss. It is supremely irritating. When you reply to a post in the discussion and when it loads up the post right in front of it is someone tipping a pick.

Everything I'm seeing says that YouTube's broadcasts this upcoming season are going to be delayed way more than over the air and DTV's signals are/ever were, so I guess Game day threads will be very interesting. LOL

You don't have to understand it or agree with it.

But be aware that if I get a report that somebody is tipping picks and it is diminishing the experience for others, I will lock that person out without hesitation.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

What's mind boggling is people that can't just be considerate of others. It's a Richard move. How about if you feel the need to discuss the picks ahead of them being announced start yourself your own thread. The majority of people watching the draft don't want the tips in there...don't understand why it's hard to be respectful. The EASY answer is just to not feel the overwhelming need to be that Richard.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Taro Nimbus said:

I have an idea.    How about you refrain from looking at the message board until the pick is called!  

I have another idea; don't tip picks.

If you can't meet that low bar of simple courtesy, then the problem is yours and nobody else's.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

What do you mean by "tipping picks" ??

Someone has a crystal ball?  Or do you mean he has an extra fast internet hookup or something and gets the news 10 seconds before the rest of the world?

Who cares?

It’s more like a couple of minutes before the pick is announced. You’ll see people report the picks on Twitter well before it’s announced. 

It’s like I’m about to open up a Christmas present, and my parents say “Oh by the way, it’s a sweater and scratch tickets”. Where’s the fun in that? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

It's so weird to me that someone wouldn't want to know the pick as soon as it's available

It detracts from the experience of listening to the melodic tones of Roger Goodell's voice. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Like I say, last night was pretty good for the most part. I think we only had two tips picked. But anyone posting that draft diamonds twitter site that tips picks in the thread would be an INSTANT ban if I were a mod

Yeah last night was without a doubt the best round I can remember in terms of not tipping the picks.  The only one I saw was Chaos tipping of the Jets pick by a minute or two in the shout box and the live thread.  That is the one I commented on here in this thread and the shout box, but given he didn't want picks tipped either based on his comments in this thread, I assume it was just an unintentional mistake as he didn't do it again.  Honestly didn't notice a 2nd one that you mentioned Gunner.  

So yeah, I think this thread may have had a nice positive impact because if feels like a lot of picks get tipped every year in the shout box especially despite lots of people asking them to stop.  So nice work @CNYfanwith the pre-draft polite request.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

35 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

It’s more like a couple of minutes before the pick is announced. You’ll see people report the picks on Twitter well before it’s announced. 

It’s like I’m about to open up a Christmas present, and my parents say “Oh by the way, it’s a sweater and scratch tickets”. Where’s the fun in that? 

Not everybody likes surprises. Whenever I watch some obscure movie on one of the free movie channels we get with our cable TV package, I almost always go online, find the wikipedia page for said movie, and read all about it. This usually lets me know if I should keep watching, or not waste my time, and turn the channel. Different strokes for different folks.

This matter is sort of similar, but like others have said, it seems like no big deal if someone who apparently is multitasking by watching TV AND also surfing the internet and/or social media sites, finds out about a pick a minute or two before Goodell announces it. I mean, the second it "gets out", by any means, people can start discussing it at that point. Just sort of strange (to me) that anybody would compare opening a gift to hearing about an NFL draft pick. One is extremely personal, and the other thing, in the grand scheme of things, has absolutely ZERO effect on your life (unless you're a family member of a potential draftee, but I don't think anybody perusing this forum on draft night would fall in to this category).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

49 minutes ago, Simon said:

I have another idea; don't tip picks.

If you can't meet that low bar of simple courtesy, then the problem is yours and nobody else's.

It's your forum, and you can run it however you want.  Your house, your rules.  

That said, this is a pretty dumb rule in 2023.  If it's on social media, it should be fair game for discussion.  People who are still relying on network television, smoke signals, telegram, etc. for their news shouldn't hold the rest of us back.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

That said, this is a pretty dumb rule in 2023.  If it's on social media, it should be fair game for discussion.  People who are still relying on network television, smoke signals, telegram, etc. for their news shouldn't hold the rest of us back.

It’s one thread on the whole internet where you are being asked to wait a couple of minutes before discussing it…

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, CNYfan said:

The draft night thread is usually fun with much lively football banter and friendly discussion.  The opinions may vary but are usually well informed.

The biggest bummer is the one or two posters who have to ruin the thread and drama by declaring the pick before it is announced.

Please refrain from doing so if I may be so presumptuous to so request.

Thank you.  

I hop off the boards well before the pick... because you can push this as much as you want but to many fight for that first post. This topic will not stop that. 

55 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

You It’s like I’m about to open up a Christmas present, and my parents say “Oh by the way, it’s a sweater and scratch tickets”. Where’s the fun in that? 

Great fun when the parents say "we already scratched the tickets...you didn't win."

At least they thought it was. 🙁

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Not everybody likes surprises. Whenever I watch some obscure movie on one of the free movie channels we get with our cable TV package, I almost always go online, find the wikipedia page for said movie, and read all about it. This usually lets me know if I should keep watching, or not waste my time, and turn the channel. Different strokes for different folks.

This matter is sort of similar, but like others have said, it seems like no big deal if someone who apparently is multitasking by watching TV AND also surfing the internet and/or social media sites, finds out about a pick a minute or two before Goodell announces it. I mean, the second it "gets out", by any means, people can start discussing it at that point. Just sort of strange (to me) that anybody would compare opening a gift to hearing about an NFL draft pick. One is extremely personal, and the other thing, in the grand scheme of things, has absolutely ZERO effect on your life (unless you're a family member of a potential draftee, but I don't think anybody perusing this forum on draft night would fall in to this category).

Clearly different strokes, I'll never understand how some folks can't wait and read spoilers for movies/TV shows before watching!

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

This matter is sort of similar, but like others have said, it seems like no big deal if someone who apparently is multitasking by watching TV AND also surfing the internet and/or social media sites, finds out about a pick a minute or two before Goodell announces it. I mean, the second it "gets out", by any means, people can start discussing it at that point. 

Discuss it wherever you like … just not in the draft thread here for two minutes…

Count me in with the group that feels this is kind of stupid in 2023.

With streaming being delayed, we're all getting the live feed at different times anyway.  Are cable viewers "tipping" selections because they get the video 45 seconds before streaming subscribers?

I'd rather get the news from a Bills fan anyway, as opposed to waiting for the talking heads and hearing it from Goodell.  There's more excitement in that moment anyway.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just wait until tonight and tomorrow when they are like 5 picks behind on TV.  I don't think anyone would have a problem with not tipping picks if they announced them immediately after they are turned in.  The problem is that the NFL and the broadcasts have decided for some reason to wait several minutes after picks are made to let viewers know what they are. 

Some people want to actually keep up with the draft in real time and not broadcast time and I don't see anything wrong with that.  If the picks are made, they are made.  They aren't going to change.  So, let's have them when they are made.  This is a big issue every year because of the lazy approach TV has announcing the picks.  And it's only going to get worse this weekend when the time in between picks is shorter.  There will be times 5-7 picks get made before they are announced on TV.  I can't believe some think this is OK.

42 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

It's actually the opposite. It's people that are streaming as not all streaming services are synced on the same time. And no one is "holding you back". Discuss away...just do it someplace OTHER than the official draft thread. Start your own thread for it. Hell, start a group text and message each other all night long. Do it on Twitter, Reddit, Facebook or any of the other 5,000 spots online that are open. Asking someone to keep it out of 1 thread isn't really asking for a lot....and somehow some still fall short. 

Didn’t have time to read 4 pages, but is the gist of this: don’t talk about the players who got drafted - in the LIVE DRAFT thread - as some folks might be delayed, streaming, etc?

No. 

I’m in CA, so stream everything Bills. At best, I’m always 30 seconds behind with Sunday Ticket. Sooooo, rather than ask that everyone hold their info, I wait til halftime to check my phone. 

when I’m in the game day thread, I know there will be “spoilers.” And that’s my fault for being in there. Not others’ fault for being able to see WIVB. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Didn’t have time to read 4 pages, but is the gist of this: don’t talk about the players who got drafted - in the LIVE DRAFT thread - as some folks might be delayed, streaming, etc?

No. 

I’m in CA, so stream everything Bills. At best, I’m always 30 seconds behind with Sunday Ticket. Sooooo, rather than ask that everyone hold their info, I wait til halftime to check my phone. 

when I’m in the game day thread, I know there will be “spoilers.” And that’s my fault for being in there. Not others’ fault for being able to see WIVB. 

And that's fine for you as that only has a bearing on yourself at that time. However the majority of people flat out don't want the tipped pick there. I maintain that the simplest solution is just to create a 2nd "uncensored" draft thread that people can go bonkers in and call em and discuss when they wish. 

But people don't want that because it would be about 5 people. See what I mean? A few spoiling it for everyone else that doesn't want it and would still like to discuss the draft as it happens on the broadcasts. 

18 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

John Butler stuck it to Ralph on his way out.

Butler was dead years before the Bills picked Aaron Maybin.

7 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

No. 

Yes, unless you are delayed streaming or stuck in a cave, I dont understand what is the big panic about talking about players picked in a LIVE DRAFT thread.  As if we have people entrenched at OBD leaking inside info here.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Serious question, what does this mean?

Like someone is recording it so we can't say who the pick is?

Or people guessing and saying "Jordan Addison" kinda thing?

I think its that some have delayed feeds and want to both hang out here and watch it on tv at the same time, but people are throwing out names for the one minute before they see the pick called just creates confusion for them instead of anticipation. I can see where that might be annoying if it's something you loved watching

23 minutes ago, Simon said:

I think its that some have delayed feeds and want to both hang out here and watch it on tv at the same time, but people are throwing out names for the one minute before they see the pick called just creates confusion for them instead of anticipation. I can see where that might be annoying if it's something you loved watching

It also is that some "insiders" tip picks on places like Twitter...often as soon as the card is sent in by a teams front office and they have a source. So the "tip" make make it out sometimes 3-5 minutes before the pick is actually in and ready. Add another few minutes if they cut to commercial. On a night like tonight they may have 2-4 picks out before the first is announced. It gets confusing especially when people just put a name in chat with no context. You may will have discussions about multiple picks, no context, what's coming all at the same time. 

Waiting until the pick is announced gives some order and balance to the conversation.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.