Brandon Beane Set To Double Down on 2022’s Big Disappointments

JohnNord

I took another listen to the Brandon Beane interviews after the season and at the combine.  What stuck out to me was his defense of players than were much maligned by the fan base.  

In my opinion, the three of his former draft picks who didn’t “take the next step” in 2022, are being counted on to “take the next step” in 2023.  

This season will prove to see if The Bills faith in these players will be rewarded. 

Spencer Brown

Brown was the Bills worst lineman at times in 2022 which is notable considering how poorly Roger Saffold played.  

Still, Beane was effusive in his praise and defense of Brown.  He point blank said he had confidence in him and listed some reason for his poor performance in 2022.

These comments make me think that the Bills won’t invest a high draft pick at tackle and will again roll the dice that Brown greatly improves.  

Gabe Davis

Like Brown, Beane was quick to defend Gabe citing “unrealistic expectations” from his amazing playoff performance and a numbers of injuries. 

Losing faith in Davis as a true WR2, many fans wanted the Bills to make a big move.  Some foolish fans convinced themselves to believe the lying huckster on Twitter “ErieCountyBills” who said they were trading for DeAndre Hopkins.  All false hope.

It’s doubtful the Bills make a huge move at WR like OBJ or Hopkins given the context,    Because Davis is a FA in 2024 I can see a scenario where they draft a WR in the first 3 rounds.  But again, when it comes to WR2 in 2023, the Bills are putting their faith in Davis to improve yet again.  

Ed Oliver

Same story with Ed Oliver.   Nice player.  Not a difference maker unless he plays against a BAD offensive line…or on Thanksgiving.  

Beane again defended Oliver mentioning how the things he does go unnoticed and that he fought through injuries.  He did mention that he left “more meat on the bone.”  But Beane could have said this during any of Oliver’s seasons in Buffalo.  

Because of his guaranteed 5th year option, The Bills likely didn’t have a choice but to have faith in Oliver.  But I can definitely see the Bills use a higher draft selection on a DT given the contract situation.  

The concern for me, is that we’ve seen the Bills make similar excuses for players in the past and it hasn’t worked out (Star, Cody Ford, Zach Moss, AJ Epinesa, Boogie Basham).  IMO a big part of next season will be whether the faith the Bills placed in these former draft picks will pay off…

• Like (+1) 10
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 5

I get it I really do. But the second that playoff game ended, the offseason started. Words are words, let's see his actions. It's possible they do feel confident in brown, but would take a tackle they like high.

It's not necessarily one or the other. They could feel ok about the injury, have no picks that make sense to their board, and feel like he steps up anyways. None of this is mutually exclusive. Hard to judge anything he says when we can see his actions soon. Beane is fairly candid compared to most GMs, but smokescreen season. We'll just have to wait and see

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I get it I really do. But the second that playoff game ended, the offseason started. Words are words, let's see his actions. It's possible they do feel confident in brown, but would take a tackle they like high.

It's not necessarily one or the other. They could feel ok about the injury, have no picks that make sense to their board, and feel like he steps up anyways. None of this is mutually exclusive. Hard to judge anything he says when we can see his actions soon. Beane is fairly candid compared to most GMs, but smokescreen season. We'll just have to wait and see

Exactly… I just thought that what he said about Brown was a very strong endorsement and more than what Beane typically says to defend a player.  

He also alluded to bringing in competition at RT.  Many of us fans assumed this would mean a veteran to push him.  Instead they only brought back David Quessenberry who wasn’t that much better than Brown last season.  

I think it all depends on how the board falls, but I can’t see the Bills using a pick on a tackle given how strongly they seemed to put over Brown

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I am not sue he has much of a choice but to suggest that this group will improve this season given the financial constraints he is operating under and the need to plug holes in the draft (such as MLB).  The unfortunate reality is that bargain basement free agents at RT, WR and DT are not likely to be upgrades over this current group.

With regard to Oliver, Beane has no choice but to keep and play Oliver since the team exercised his 5th year option and likely no team would want Oliver in a trade at that price point.  What will be interesting to see is whether early draft picks are used at some of these positions.  I would not be surprised if the Bills selected a DT in the first round, which would probably mean that keeping Oliver after this season is unlikely.  Same with WR and Gabe.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Good thread OP but I have some counter points.

1. All three guys are on the roster, so what is he supposed to say? " Yeah, we are replacing all three, they were not good enough".

2. I think there is something to be said for the unrealistic expectations for Gabe Davis going into last year. He is a #2 receiver but many of us, myself included had preseason predictions that Gabe would lead the Bills in receiving yards and TD's. Diggs would continue his decline from his 2020 season and Davis would emerge after that playoff game and getting starting WR reps. Diggs obviously proved many of us wrong, he was not on the decline in anyway, for most the season he was on pace to better his career best number in 2020. Gabe, as has been pointed out by others since the end of the season, has put up average #2 WR numbers. He's not a 1B receiver but he's a capable #2 starting outside WR. The problem lies in that he should most likely at this point not be way ahead of all others as the #2 receiving  target. That should be the slot receiver or TE. Or at the very least, Gabe should only be a few targets ahead of one of them. Not greatly out targeting them.

3. Brown is an athletic freak at his size. Like Josh Allen, Brown may need extra time before he breaks out. Allen broke out in his 3rd year, this is the year for Brown to prove he has what it takes to hold down the RT spot. Hopefully he can have a fully healthy offseason and start to the season. 

4. Ed Oliver. I don't think he is tradeable, and he is under contract. Who is going to give up assets for Ed? Whatever the return could possibly be it would be so small that it would be better to just keep him and see if he breakouts. What are the Bills supposed to do or say?

Where I have some real criticism of Beane is his nonchalant use of day 2 picks on RB's in 3 out of the last 4 drafts. At the very most we should have used 1 pick at the position on day 2 or early. By using three picks and only getting average at best production out of those picks, the Bills prevented themselves from bettering other areas of the roster. Imagine two more o-lineman, or o-lineman and a WR over Moss and Cook. The Bills would have lost absolutely nothing at the running back position while giving them a chance to find talent at other position groups. 

I don't love all the DE/DL picks, especially when you have to couple it with a expensive free agent signing but at least those are players at premium positions. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 5

A hopeful comparison for Brown would be Josh Allen and Dawson Knox's ascension in year three.  Extremely athletic prospects coming into the NFL relatively raw.  Brown fits that mold but can you bank on that leap?  Given his injury history I wouldn't hesitate to draft an OT in the first round if the right one falls to us.  If not then I think Beane takes that leap of faith.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/5/2023 at 8:54 PM, HurlyBurly51 said:

Even worse imo is their statements that Edmunds replacement is already on the roster🤦

If we think of it logically, Beane knew last April going into that draft that there was probably a better than 50% chance that Edmunds would walk the next off-season. I 100% think that he drafted Bernard with that likely scenario in mind. We have barely seen Bernard so hard to make a real opinion on him. Dotson very well could be the break glass in case of fire fall back. But I would expect a day 3 pick or cheap veteran (Klein?) to be brought in. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

A hopeful comparison for Brown would be Josh Allen and Dawson Knox's ascension in year three.  Extremely athletic prospects coming into the NFL relatively raw.  Brown fits that mold but can you bank on that leap?  Given his injury history I wouldn't hesitate to draft an OT in the first round if the right one falls to us.  If not then I think Beane takes that leap of faith.

Agreed. But I think they like Brown's potential enough that they wait till round 3 or later to go OT. 

My current wish for round 1 is a TE and I hope it means an overhaul in offensive philosophy, with not one but two tight ends getting 50+ receptions. With Beanes track record with DE's and DL, I don't think I can get on board with any one at those positions in round one. 

• Like (+1) 1

The roster is mediocre. There are still an array of holes/needs/concerns. They can’t possibly address them all and particularly under the current cap restraints. For youngish players, on cheap contracts, still with a shred of upside, they have no choice but to tout and commit to them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

The team fought through injuries and supreme high expectations last season, of which, sums up 2022. 

In my eyes, they did great. After Allen’s injury against the Jets, Davis’ stats declined. 

Business standpoint, Oliver could be still be traded. In the right system he can flourish. Tremendous athlete and team player. 

Still, see this team bouncing back. The moves in FA are great. The nucleus of the team is still there. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Even worse imo is their statements that Edmunds replacement is already on the roster🤦

They did NOT make the statement that his replacement is already on the roster.

"Sometimes your answer is on your roster." 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Airseven said:

The roster is mediocre. There are still an array of holes/needs/concerns. They can’t possibly address them all and particularly under the current cap restraints. For youngish players, on cheap contracts, still with a shred of upside, they have no choice but to tout and commit to them.

That's just dumb.

Mediocre rosters don't go 13-3. Nor does Vegas put them as third favorites in the offseason for the next year's championship.

They're an excellent roster, and even if compared to rosters without considering QBs, still very good.

Yeah, they have concerns. Every team in the history of the NFL did/does. And even more so before the draft and this early in the process.

Nonsense also that they have no choice to tout and commit to these guys. Of course they have other choices. It's also really questionable whether they actually have committed to these guys. If they performed poorly enough in camp, they would likely be cut/traded or whatever. 

Again, they have other choices. Some could still be made. But most of the other choices are visibly and obviously poorer uses of resources and talent.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Exactly… I just thought that what he said about Brown was a very strong endorsement and more than what Beane typically says to defend a player.  

He also alluded to bringing in competition at RT.  Many of us fans assumed this would mean a veteran to push him.  Instead they only brought back David Quessenberry who wasn’t that much better than Brown last season.  

I think it all depends on how the board falls, but I can’t see the Bills using a pick on a tackle given how strongly they seemed to put over Brown

Brown did have back problems that destroyed his training last offseason.  I would not give up on him yet, either.  That doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t be willing to draft an OT high to compete with him - if a good one is available at one of their picks. There are other spots to address and they had little cap room and only a few draft picks (all late in the rounds) to work with.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

He did mention bringing in competition at RT.

And now some folks seem to think that means there's no other way to address that than the draft. And that's not true. FA continues right throughout the season.

They could do something in the draft. If they don't, there's still a lot they could do in FA. Or by trade.

Agreed that what he said about Brown was in fact very strong. He meant it, and all those saying, "Oh, he has to say that," are just plain wrong. He does not have to say that. Or anything close. There are a ton of ways to answer these questions without giving glowing endorsements.

• Agree 1

Joe Marino just did a review of Spencer Brown, and he was fairly positive overall. No mention of slow feet as many people in this board have suggested - to the contrary.

A lot of the critique technique-wise is technical and over my head, but I gather Marino's principal reservation is that Brown's frame is too slender and that he lacks the core-strength necessary to play OT well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dfx7J7_Gks&t=1122s

• Like (+1) 1

What's Beane supposed too say, most of my picks haven't worked out, this job is difficult, I'm doing my best, be patient, ... trust the process.  

Let's face it, his Drafts have been questionable at best, his draft strategies equally so.  The results have been lackluster.  

He's got 6 picks this season, one late on each of the first 6 rounds, but he's got numerous holes to fill and positions to upgrade.  He's created that issue, no one else.  He's drafted the same positions in several spots for several years without any becoming better than average.  

He's not in a position to trade up, unless he wants to mortgage future Drafts.    

For his sake he'd better hope that several of his former picks "take the next step," and frankly, he'd better also hope that this year's crop of rookies produces an early ringer or two also, otherwise we're going to be having an entirely different conversation following the season.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

The only doubling-down on disappointment would be using another premium asset for McD's defense.  

Coming off the Cincinnati loss going defense again is like a business revising an aging product line despite their opponents innovating and gaining market share.  

If Beane concludes from the Cincinnati and Kansas City losses the last 2 years that they need more defense the result is they'll continue losing track meets against top-end NFL offenses.   

There's stubborn and then there's stupid.  McBeane are trending away from the former and pointing more toward the latter if they go defense in RD1.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

43 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

I mean, I hope he's right.  Especially about Brown he's such a physical freak.  If things can click for him he could be great.

It could also very well be that Brown was a man amongst boys in the Missouri Valley conference, and that it simply hasn't translated to the NFL against competition that he simply never faced.  I mean how many DEs did he play on the opponents that they played that made it to the NFL.  I can't imagine many of any.  

I guess we'll find out. 

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

It could also very well be that Brown was a man amongst boys in the Missouri Valley conference, and that it simply hasn't translated to the NFL against competition that he simply never faced.  I mean how many DEs did he play on the opponents that they played that made it to the NFL.  I can't imagine many of any.  

I guess we'll find out. 

That’s where experience, repetition, and coaching come into play. Your same sentiments could apply to a host of NFL players who played in lesser conferences in college. The one thing I see in Brown is a natural aggressiveness. He doesn’t appear to be lazy, especially in run blocking. I’m hoping he can be taught better technique to use his length in pass protection. We shall see. (By the way my biggest concern on the O Line is in the middle. I’m fed up with watching our Guards totally whiff in pass protection only to have Josh run for his life…or watch our RB get swallowed up right after taking a handoff. Pathetic.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Commish said:

Joe Marino just did a review of Spencer Brown, and he was fairly positive overall. No mention of slow feet as many people in this board have suggested - to the contrary.

A lot of the critique technique-wise is technical and over my head, but I gather Marino's principal reservation is that Brown's frame is too slender and that he lacks the core-strength necessary to play OT well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dfx7J7_Gks&t=1122s

Yeah, I watched it.  You're right in that he never brought up slow feet, because he doesn't have slow feet.  The dude did a sub 7 second 3 cone drill at the Combine. 

As far a his technique, all Marino was saying is that his set and his engagement is too high much of the time.  He needs to drop his butt and have more knee bend to obtain better balance. Its been a criticism of Brown's, or more accurately, an area that needs improvement, since he came out of college.  Not an uncommon thing for someone that tall.

As far as his frame being too lean...idk.  Lane Johnson was 6'6" and a little over 300 lbs coming out of Oklahoma.  He's put on about 20lbs since then, mostly in his gut, but his frame is similar to Brown's.

Personally, I have my doubts about whether the back issue (which was never really explained too much), isn't fully resolved.  He looks very stiff, even more stiff than he did his rookie year.  If you've ever had a back injury, you'll know how bad stiffness can be. 

Im not as sure about the lack of reps or the lack of learning a new blocking scheme affected his ability to pass block.  He was thrown into the starting lineup early in his rookie year, and he looked better than last year.  

I understand why Beane is hopeful for him.  His physical talent, at least when drafted was Pro Bowl quality. It isn't a guy you want to give up on.  But he may be damaged goods due to his back. I hope not.  If Im Beane, I'd be having some come to Jesus talks with him, with the training staff, with his teammates, everyone I could to see how he is progressing.  I'd need to be very sure that he CAN progress physically. 

Because you can't have that type of play at RT. 

9 hours ago, jahnyc said:

I am not sue he has much of a choice but to suggest that this group will improve this season given the financial constraints he is operating under and the need to plug holes in the draft (such as MLB).  The unfortunate reality is that bargain basement free agents at RT, WR and DT are not likely to be upgrades over this current group.

With regard to Oliver, Beane has no choice but to keep and play Oliver since the team exercised his 5th year option and likely no team would want Oliver in a trade at that price point.  What will be interesting to see is whether early draft picks are used at some of these positions.  I would not be surprised if the Bills selected a DT in the first round, which would probably mean that keeping Oliver after this season is unlikely.  Same with WR and Gabe.  

I’ll agree with you on Oliver.  There really isn’t much a choice given his guaranteed salary and the level of play he’s shown on tape so far.  The Bills don’t think he makes enough plays for $10M but neither do other NFL teams.   

I would disagree with you on Brown and Davis.  While the Bills didn’t have the cap space to make a giant swing at top free agents - they also could have used the money they did have to sign better players to compete at RT and WR.  The best the Bills could do was David Quessenberry and Trent Sherfield?  

I think these decisions speak louder to confidence in these players than it does to running out of options 

9 hours ago, MJS said:

The roster isn't even set. The draft hasn't happened.

Shouldn't we wait until those things happen before we start hurling accusations?

Isn’t that the whole part of a discussion forum?  Almost every post on this site is speculation and/or an opinion.  

Also what accusations did I “hurl?”  That Beane has confidence in Davis, Brown, and Oliver - he literally said the exact thing in his press conference 

59 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I guess we'll find out. 

My concern is that he looked better during a stretch in his rookie year than he did at any point in 2022.  Maybe it was the injuries but the lack of NFL reps doesn’t seem to track

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, papazoid said:

typical coach speak

you support your guys 100%.....until you don't/ cut em

No, it's not typical coach speak. It just isn't. 

Typical coach speak is as vague and unspecific as possible. "He gives it 100% all the time. Tough kid. Gives it his all. We like him. The whole defense has been very very ...." That's coach speak. 

On the other hand, when Beane is specific and long-winded with his praise on a guy, he means it.

And again, Beane is perfectly comfortable NOT supporting his guys 100% when they have a problem. Remember his thing a couple of years ago about how nobody was game-planning to stop our TE room? He's got zero problem expressing dissatisfaction. No, he's not going to say somebody is as lazy as the guard dog at a slaughterhouse, or that someone's dumb or that someone just doesn't have talent. 

But he's perfectly capable of expressing dis-satisfaction or that a guy still needs to improve. Does it reasonably often.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

I guess we'll find out. 

Sure but I was more referring to raw athleticism.   If I recall he's a physical freak size and strength wise.

10 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I took another listen to the Brandon Beane interviews after the season and at the combine.  What stuck out to me was his defense of players than were much maligned by the fan base.  

In my opinion, the three of his former draft picks who didn’t “take the next step” in 2022, are being counted on to “take the next step” in 2023.  

This season will prove to see if The Bills faith in these players will be rewarded. 

Spencer Brown

Brown was the Bills worst lineman at times in 2022 which is notable considering how poorly Roger Saffold played.  

Still, Beane was effusive in his praise and defense of Brown.  He point blank said he had confidence in him and listed some reason for his poor performance in 2022.

These comments make me think that the Bills won’t invest a high draft pick at tackle and will again roll the dice that Brown greatly improves.  

Gabe Davis

Like Brown, Beane was quick to defend Gabe citing “unrealistic expectations” from his amazing playoff performance and a numbers of injuries. 

Losing faith in Davis as a true WR2, many fans wanted the Bills to make a big move.  Some foolish fans convinced themselves to believe the lying huckster on Twitter “ErieCountyBills” who said they were trading for DeAndre Hopkins.  All false hope.

It’s doubtful the Bills make a huge move at WR like OBJ or Hopkins given the context,    Because Davis is a FA in 2024 I can see a scenario where they draft a WR in the first 3 rounds.  But again, when it comes to WR2 in 2023, the Bills are putting their faith in Davis to improve yet again.  

Ed Oliver

Same story with Ed Oliver.   Nice player.  Not a difference maker unless he plays against a BAD offensive line…or on Thanksgiving.  

Beane again defended Oliver mentioning how the things he does go unnoticed and that he fought through injuries.  He did mention that he left “more meat on the bone.”  But Beane could have said this during any of Oliver’s seasons in Buffalo.  

Because of his guaranteed 5th year option, The Bills likely didn’t have a choice but to have faith in Oliver.  But I can definitely see the Bills use a higher draft selection on a DT given the contract situation.  

The concern for me, is that we’ve seen the Bills make similar excuses for players in the past and it hasn’t worked out (Star, Cody Ford, Zach Moss, AJ Epinesa, Boogie Basham).  IMO a big part of next season will be whether the faith the Bills placed in these former draft picks will pay off…

I wish we had a GM that trashed our current starting players and called them out to the media!  I mean, who wants to work for a guy that defends his employees and talks about their potential for improvement.  If only he knew as much about being a good GM as the doom and gloom fans and TBD posters

4 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I wish we had a GM that trashed our current starting players and called them out to the media!  I mean, who wants to work for a guy that defends his employees and talks about their potential for improvement.  If only he knew as much about being a good GM as the doom and gloom fans and TBD posters

It isn’t just that he defended them…it’s how STRONGLY he defended and that his actions (or lack thereof) seem to back up his words.  

The whole point of this thread was that he did the same thing last season with these players.  It didn’t work out.  

This year there is more of a microscope on them.  He chose not to make any moves, so his faith may or may not pay off.  

I think a lot of fans tend to panic about this stuff.  First, as I've said a thousand times, this league is less about talent and more about coaching than people understand.   When you get to the right tackle, you're talking about guys who are not among the 20 best tackles in the league, because they're all left tackles.  When you get down below the top 20, you're talking about guys whose talent looks pretty much like the talent of the guys around him.   It's an ordinary bell curve distribution, and the difference between the 30th and the 40th best tackle in the league is not very great.   Same as the difference between the 30th and 40th best receiver.   Davis caught a lot of passes for a lot of yards last season, and many fans fail to recognize that his production puts him solidly in that 30th-40th best receiver category.   That's a good #2 to have.  

Second, fans rarely really understand how good or bad a player is.  We simply don't have the information or experience to evaluate guys the way the coaches do.   When I hear Beane on Brown, what I hear him saying is that they know his development, they've watched his development, and they think he's going to be better.   I have to trust that judgment, because I really don't know the first thing about what the Bills expect of their right tackle and how close he is. 

Third, fans in these conversations fail to recognize that players really do improve.   A guy like Brown, especially, with no quality high school experience and third-tier college experience and coaching, coming into a position where even the best college players are unprepared for what the NFL expects, simply is not going to be the player you want when he first steps on the field.  If he's a McDermott type, he's working and studying daily, and we haven't seen his full development yet.  

Fourth, when Beane says our starting middle linebacker is on the roster, he's saying something that's literally true today.   He's not saying that guy WILL be the starter; he's saying that if they had to name the roster today, the only guys they have to choose from are the guys who are on the roster.   Beane ALWAYS says he's looking to improve the roster at every position, and every player (except Allen) knows that he's always at risk of being replaced.   Dion Dawkins knows the Bills could go OT in the first round, and the guy they draft could challenge not only Brown but Dawkins, as well.  Davis, too, knows that the Bills could take a receiver in the first, and that receiver could be the eventual replacement for Diggs.   If that's who he is, he also could be the immediate replacement at #2.  The real point of what Beane says is that although he might take a linebacker or a receiver at #1, they've determined that they don't have a true need at those positions.   That's what allows the Bills to go BPA.  

I don't think what Beane has said to date should be understood that any position on the roster is safe. 

That said, we've seen and heard him enough not to expect that he won't go pure BPA in the first round.   I think they have to be looking for a tackle or a linebacker, and they will move to get one.  Possibly a receiver.   And, given their history, I won't be surprised to see them take a defensive lineman.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Basically, except for Tremaine Edmunds, not much is changed from this 13 and 3 team from last year

It’s kind of humorous to me to listen to some of them talk it’s like we were seven and nine

No one is saying that these three are bad players but you can certainly argue that they didn’t take the step forward that the team and fans had hoped.  

My biggest concern out of these three is Spencer Brown.  He was among the worst starting RT’s in the NFL.  He didn’t make much progress from year 1 to year 2.  

The Bills elected not to bring in any competition to push him.  He could end up like a Wyatt Teller….He could end up like a Cody Ford

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Basically, except for Tremaine Edmunds, not much is changed from this 13 and 3 team from last year

It’s kind of humorous to me to listen to some of them talk it’s like we were seven and nine

Players get older, slower, don't heal from injuries as quickly, and generally are degrading every year.  It's the NFL.  Contracts are closer to expiring and new players must be integrated to replace those older players on the decline.  

Which means what worked last year is not a guarantee to succeed this coming season.   People don't like change, but if you're not improving you are regressing.  Status quo doesn't get it done in this world. 

13 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, it's not typical coach speak. It just isn't. 

Typical coach speak is as vague and unspecific as possible. "He gives it 100% all the time. Tough kid. Gives it his all. We like him. The whole defense has been very very ...." That's coach speak. 

On the other hand, when Beane is specific and long-winded with his praise on a guy, he means it.

And again, Beane is perfectly comfortable NOT supporting his guys 100% when they have a problem. Remember his thing a couple of years ago about how nobody was game-planning to stop our TE room? He's got zero problem expressing dissatisfaction. No, he's not going to say somebody is as lazy as the guard dog at a slaughterhouse, or that someone's dumb or that someone just doesn't have talent. 

But he's perfectly capable of expressing dis-satisfaction or that a guy still needs to improve. Does it reasonably often.

I don't know why people don't get this.   Beane has a very clean line that divides what he will say and what he won't say, and Beane is about as frank and clear about how he sees players as any GM or coach I've heard.    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.