Predicting where the QB's end up for 2023

Zerovoltz

Here is how I see the QB's landing for 2023

Including DRAFT. It will take all my tea leaf reading powers, but I am up to it.

In no particular order, but trying to go with bigger names first and then descending.

1. Lamar Jackson. Will be traded to the Atlanta Falcons. Atlanta is a star driven market. The owner likes stars. Atlanta overperformed expectations in 2022 and they do have some emerging pieces to work with. Atlanta was in on DeShaun Watson to the end. Lamar instantly makes the Falcons the division favorite in a weak NFC South.

2. Aaron Rodgers. Will be traded to the Jets. I think Carr is a better fit, but Rodgers is a GREAT FIT for the NY media. He'll get tons of attention. The Jets will get the spotlight they crave and a QB, who can still pilot a good roster to a wild card. The Jets are desparate for their most recent rebuild to yeild a post season berth and they'll pay to make it happen.

3. Tom Brady. In the broadcast booth with Fox. For real this time.

4. Geno Smith. Resigns in Seattle. Seattle wants him back and Geno doens't have much of a market outside Seattle anyhow.

5. Daniel Jones. Resigns in New York. Talk is he could come in at 35 Mil. Not cheap, but maybe just reasonable enough for what you get. Either way, they aren't in a good spot at this point to move on from him even if they wanted to.

6. Jimmy G. I do not believe there is a strong market for Jimmy G to start elsewhere. I do see him as someone teams would like as a bridge/capable backup. I can see him sitting through training camp, waiting for some team to incur a big injury. Given this, his fit is limited. Tampa, New Orleans and Houston come to mind. I'm going with Houston because they have the cap, and will be breaking in a new QB. Jimmy would start at least for a little bit possibly.

7. Jacoby Brisset. Resigns in Cleveland. Similar to Jimmy G, but not quite as good. Knows the offense. Knows Watson is no.1 but if he completely sucked, or got hurt, Brisset could at least be sort of OK. Brisset has no market as a starter.

8. Baker Mayfield. SAINTS. It's a depleted roster, they are without picks...and without cap space. Baker will come cheap and this is truly his last and best chance to be a starter.

9. Gardner Minshew. Tennessee. Part of this is about marketing, and the Mississippi Mudflap would be a big hit in Nashville. He's great insurance for Tannehill...or even a good bet to supplant Tannehill. Malik Willis isn't ready...and probably never will be. Minshews best shot to start.

10. Drew Lock. PACKERS. The Packers were the team that Denver had to get in front of in 2019 to draft Lock. The Packers really liked him and my guess here is that they still do. No one anywhere thinks Jordan Love is worth a damn. I think Lock is better and could win that job. It's Locks best shot to get his career back on track, with a team that really wants him around. (I hope he's in KC, but this makes more sense for him)

11. Derek Carr (I FORGOT HIM in my initial post!)  Panthers.  They miss out on trade up for Qb's they like.  Sign Carr and further evaluate Matt Corral (drafted in 3rd last year)  

DRAFTED QBS

1. Bryce Young. COLTS. I think Irsay has mandated that Chris Ballard get to 1 at all costs and they do.
2. C.J. Stroud TEXANS. Kind of like DeShaun Watson without the baggage.
3. Will Levis RAIDERS. McDouche will be abundantly confident he can take Levis with his physical gifts and coach him up. This years Josh Allen. 1st round traits, 5th round game film.
4. Anthony Richardson. RAVENS. Having traded Lamar, they go get rookie contract Lamar all over again with Richardson.
5. Herndon Hooker. SAINTS trade into late round 1 to grab him.
6. Tanner McKee. VIKINGS. Not going round 1 but Minnesota will want to make a stab at preparing to move on from Cousins.
7. SLEEPER PICK. Grayson McCall - PATRIOTS. They take flyers more often than most. They try out McCall, good size and comp %.
8. SLEEPER PICK 2! Clayton Tune - COWBOYS. Jerry has mentioned spending a pick on a QB this draft.

Others -

Kyle Trask will start for Buccs. They are going to go full on rebuild/Tank. Expect Mike Evans to be traded. They'll take Brady Cap hit and others all this year...look for no.1 overall next season.

Jameis Winston - DENVER! Sean Payton brings in a proven veteran. Not to push Wilson, but to be there for injury to give the Broncos a fighting chance to compete. Sean is familiar with Winston and was able to get decent production out of the guy before he got hurt.

Mitch Trubisky - Arizona. Purely stopgap to help fill in while Murray is out. Maybe Gannon gets a little something out of him.

Matt Ryan - NEW ENGLAND - Goes home to Boston as a backup and mentor to finish up.

Marcus Mariotta - SEAHAWKS. Drew Lock moves on...Seattle gets backup that is good at handing off.

Washington is going to roll with Sam Howell. Maybe they try and talk Henne out of retirement to help EB impliment the KC offense...but other than that...it's Howell. And Heineke.

Edited by Zerovoltz
Forgot CARR
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Here’s what I think will happen:

- Aaron Rodgers stays in GB

- Baltimore trades Lamar Jackson to Seattle for the #5 pick in the draft 

- Carr signs with Panthers

- Saints sign Baker Mayfield

- Raiders sign Jimmy G

- Geno Smith signs with jets again

- Tannehill stays with titans 

- Daniel Jones resigns with NYG 

- Bucs sign Taylor Heineke to compete with Trask

Draft:

- Texans draft Young
- Colts draft Levis 
- Ravens draft Stroud

- Falcons draft Richardson 

Now here’s what I hope happens even though it won’t to make the NFC a little harder and take the pressure off the AFC:

- Aaron Rodgers retires and Love starts

- Bears trade Justin Fields to the Saints for their First (pick 29) and 2nd round picks

- Carr signs with Bucs

- Bears draft Young
- Texans draft Stroud
- Panthers trade up from 9 to 3 and take Levis ahead of colts and ravens
- Ravens draft Anthony Richardson to compete with Huntley and eventually be there QB

- Raiders sign Jimmy G
- Colts sign Baker Mayfield
- Geno Smith signs with jets again
- Tannehill stays with titans 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

UGH!  I forgot CARR!  

He goes to the Panthers!  Frank Reich doesn't like the QB's available to him in the draft.

OK.  I got to say that it seems to me that Seattle will use pick(s) to get a QB.

Geno Smith won't take them deep in the playoffs but is good enough for them not to get another chance for a top QB.

They could easily jump the Colts with Denver's 2nd.  Raiders don't have to draft capital to go that high.

If I was a Seahawk fan and they didn't come out of this with a QB I'd be pissed.

11 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Jackson is an UFA.  Ravens sign him to the big contract or they move on.

Vets

Rodgers - Raiders

Carr - Jets

Jackson - remains with Ravens 1 more season

Jones - remains with Giants

Smith - remains with Seahawks

Garoppolo - Pathers (as the bridge starter)

Mayfield - Saints

Jordan Love will start for the Pack (though Lock going there isn't a silly suggestion, but they are going to give their guy first shot). 

Rooks

Levis - Colts at #1

Young - Texans at #2

Stroud - Panthers at #3

Richardson - Buccs

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

They are tagging him.

27 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

OK.  I got to say that it seems to me that Seattle will use pick(s) to get a QB.

Geno Smith won't take them deep in the playoffs but is good enough for them not to get another chance for a top QB.

They could easily jump the Colts with Denver's 2nd.  Raiders don't have to draft capital to go that high.

If I was a Seahawk fan and they didn't come out of this with a QB I'd be pissed.

I agree with what you say here about the Seahawks.  They ABSOLUTELY should be in on a QB when they have a shot up so high...but they aren't.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Atlanta owner likes stars?  Had to tell---he's had 2 in the last 10 years.  Also, they went 3-6 down the stretch, only put 2 wins together in the final 2 games and the receiver corps is Pitts (if he can go) and Drake London.  Jackson had as good in  Balt.

Brady won't be in the booth next season.

The NYC media gives "tons of attention" to any QB on the Jets.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

Including DRAFT. It will take all my tea leaf reading powers, but I am up to it.

In no particular order, but trying to go with bigger names first and then descending.

1. Lamar Jackson. Will be traded to the Atlanta Falcons. Atlanta is a star driven market. The owner likes stars. Atlanta overperformed expectations in 2022 and they do have some emerging pieces to work with. Atlanta was in on DeShaun Watson to the end. Lamar instantly makes the Falcons the division favorite in a weak NFC South.

2. Aaron Rodgers. Will be traded to the Jets. I think Carr is a better fit, but Rodgers is a GREAT FIT for the NY media. He'll get tons of attention. The Jets will get the spotlight they crave and a QB, who can still pilot a good roster to a wild card. The Jets are desparate for their most recent rebuild to yeild a post season berth and they'll pay to make it happen.

4. Geno Smith. Resigns in Seattle. Seattle wants him back and Geno doens't have much of a market outside Seattle anyhow.

5. Daniel Jones. Resigns in New York. Talk is he could come in at 35 Mil. Not cheap, but maybe just reasonable enough for what you get. Either way, they aren't in a good spot at this point to move on from him even if they wanted to.

6. Jimmy G. I do not believe there is a strong market for Jimmy G to start elsewhere. I do see him as someone teams would like as a bridge/capable backup. I can see him sitting through training camp, waiting for some team to incur a big injury. Given this, his fit is limited. Tampa, New Orleans and Houston come to mind. I'm going with Houston because they have the cap, and will be breaking in a new QB. Jimmy would start at least for a little bit possibly.

7. Jacoby Brisset. Resigns in Cleveland. Similar to Jimmy G, but not quite as good. Knows the offense. Knows Watson is no.1 but if he completely sucked, or got hurt, Brisset could at least be sort of OK. Brisset has no market as a starter.

8. Baker Mayfield. SAINTS. It's a depleted roster, they are without picks...and without cap space. Baker will come cheap and this is truly his last and best chance to be a starter.

9. Gardner Minshew. Tennessee. Part of this is about marketing, and the Mississippi Mudflap would be a big hit in Nashville. He's great insurance for Tannehill...or even a good bet to supplant Tannehill. Malik Willis isn't ready...and probably never will be. Minshews best shot to start.

10. Drew Lock. PACKERS. The Packers were the team that Denver had to get in front of in 2019 to draft Lock. The Packers really liked him and my guess here is that they still do. No one anywhere thinks Jordan Love is worth a damn. I think Lock is better and could win that job. It's Locks best shot to get his career back on track, with a team that really wants him around. (I hope he's in KC, but this makes more sense for him)

11. Derek Carr (I FORGOT HIM in my initial post!)  Panthers.  They miss out on trade up for Qb's they like.  Sign Carr and further evaluate Matt Corral (drafted in 3rd last year)  

DRAFTED QBS

1. Bryce Young. COLTS. I think Irsay has mandated that Chris Ballard get to 1 at all costs and they do.
3. Will Levis RAIDERS. McDouche will be abundantly confident he can take Levis with his physical gifts and coach him up. This years Josh Allen. 1st round traits, 5th round game film.
4. Anthony Richardson. RAVENS. Having traded Lamar, they go get rookie contract Lamar all over again with Richardson.
6. Tanner McKee. VIKINGS. Not going round 1 but Minnesota will want to make a stab at preparing to move on from Cousins.
7. SLEEPER PICK. Grayson McCall - PATRIOTS. They take flyers more often than most. They try out McCall, good size and comp %.
8. SLEEPER PICK 2! Clayton Tune - COWBOYS. Jerry has mentioned spending a pick on a QB this draft.

Others -

Kyle Trask will start for Buccs. They are going to go full on rebuild/Tank. Expect Mike Evans to be traded. They'll take Brady Cap hit and others all this year...look for no.1 overall next season.

Jameis Winston - DENVER! Sean Payton brings in a proven veteran. Not to push Wilson, but to be there for injury to give the Broncos a fighting chance to compete. Sean is familiar with Winston and was able to get decent production out of the guy before he got hurt.

Mitch Trubisky - Arizona. Purely stopgap to help fill in while Murray is out. Maybe Gannon gets a little something out of him.

Matt Ryan - NEW ENGLAND - Goes home to Boston as a backup and mentor to finish up.

Marcus Mariotta - SEAHAWKS. Drew Lock moves on...Seattle gets backup that is good at handing off.

Washington is going to roll with Sam Howell. Maybe they try and talk Henne out of retirement to help EB impliment the KC offense...but other than that...it's Howell. And Heineke.

Brady said he won't announce for FOX until 2024. Also what about Case Keenum?

20 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I appreciate all the work you did on this. Lotta good stuff, but you’re going to be very surprised when Brissett gets a job as a starter this coming season. He was very a very efficient, albeit limited, QB. Likely he will get signed as a Bridge QB, but he could wind up being the best option for a team that is otherwise stuck with a Wentz or Darnold level QB. 

Edited to add: Cards just hired Drew Petzing, Browns QB coach, as their OC. He worked very well with Brissett. I expect him to be the QB in ‘Zona until Murray gets healthy enough to play again. Makes a ton of sense now. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

DRAFTED QBS

Others -

You forgot Mike White to Buffalo to backup Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nor me. He will be tagged and play on the tag. 

Tag, for sure. Him playing on the tag is another matter entirely. He sat out the end of the season and playoffs, he’ll be happy to sit again. I see him pushing back and not signing the tag right away. He’ll say he wants traded to a team that will pay him if the Ravens won’t. Then he either gets traded or sits until right before the season starts. That would put the Ravens in a big bind as they will have a new OC installing a new offense. 

10 minutes ago, chongli said:

Brady said he won't announce for FOX until 2024. Also what about Case Keenum?

Keenum is 35 and played a half season back in 2019.  His future (if he has any) is mentor for a rookie.

As for Brady, I would love for him to un-retire again.  He is in decline and the 3-ring circus he creates is amusing to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Tag, for sure. Him playing on the tag is another matter entirely. He sat out the end of the season and playoffs, he’ll be happy to sit again. I see him pushing back and not signing the tag right away. He’ll say he wants traded to a team that will pay him if the Ravens won’t. Then he either gets traded or sits until right before the season starts. That would put the Ravens in a big bind as they will have a new OC installing a new offense. 

Oh it is going to be messy. But I think the Ravens will win the game if chicken. He will play for them in 2023 IMO. I don't think he will in 2024.

7 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I called Lamar crazy when he didn't sign a contract after Josh signed his.  It would of been a notch above Josh's and he was at

his peak worth.  So, I guess he could be crazy enough to sit and cause more drama.

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

Lamar would be a perfect fit for the 49ers.

As a thrower - I can see that - the routes he struggles with - the fades, the deep outs, the corner routes... the 49ers rarely use them they throw short to the outside and then largely inside the numbers where Lamar is good. 

The problem would be how much the 9ers pass from under center. The Ravens have been under center the lowest % in the NFL during Lamar's time. He operates almost totally from pistol and shotgun. The 49ers are top 5 under center and to make the stretch zone run game go you really need to be under center a lot because the mesh point is what puts the edge defenders in a bind. You can do some pistol and Shanahan is as creative a play designer as they come. But I think that would be the challenge. The impact that Lamar's discomfort under center would have on the run game. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

If Lamar gets traded doesn't that make Baltimore a top spot for a veteran QB? They have a good defense and have routinely been a playoff team. Someone like Carr would prefer to go there over the Jets I'm assuming

It will come down to timing.  Carr may be signed to a team before all that would happen in Baltimore.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

If Lamar gets traded doesn't that make Baltimore a top spot for a veteran QB? They have a good defense and have routinely been a playoff team. Someone like Carr would prefer to go there over the Jets I'm assuming

Tough to say as they don't have a great WR core and a new OC. I fully expect them to franchise tag him and see how he does in a traditional offense. If he excels and stays healthy he gets a long term extension. If not he walks in 2024.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

I think there is a real chance that the Bears move on from Fields.  He could end up in Atlanta, Carolina or New Orleans.  Bears use their number one overall pick to select a QB or trade down a few spots and still take a QB plus collect a few more picks.  If Chicago plays this correctly, they can reload at QB and collect a few more early round picks to rebuild their pathetic roster.

8 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I think there is a real chance that the Bears move on from Fields.  He could end up in Atlanta, Carolina or New Orleans.  Bears use their number one overall pick to select a QB or trade down a few spots and still take a QB plus collect a few more picks.  If Chicago plays this correctly, they can reload at QB and collect a few more early round picks to rebuild their pathetic roster.

IF I were running the Bears..I would move on from Fields and draft a QB.  But...I think they'll just take picks and keep him.  (Mistake)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Rodgers - Stays with Packers ... Isn't the dead cap on a trade 40 million ?

Brady - Dolphins ... Just a year later than they wanted him. Tua may be in concussion protocol for life after last season.

Carr - Jets

Mayfield - Saints

Garopolo - Raiders

Texans - Draft Young

Colts - Draft Levis

Ravens - Draft Stroud

Bucs - Draft Richardson

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.