The Bills should trade for Mike Evans

FireChans

The Bucs are tanking. They are taking a $35M cap hit on the chin for Brady next season.

Mike Evans will be 30 next year. Last year of his contract. A pre 6/1 trade costs them a massive cap penalty, 21M, with only 2M in savings. Post 6/1, they save $14M and spread it over two seasons.

What does a 30 year old WR without a contract go for on a team that is about to have 2-3 years of pain?  A second and a fourth?

• Like (+1) 9
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 7

Just now, GolfandBills said:

Were you seeing this at?  Everything I’ve seen says the team takes on full contract terms with a trade. 

spotrac.com

That's never been how it works. Trades accelerate the guarantees of the team trading the player AWAY. It's why Diggs is now untradeable for the next few years.  It's why CMC had a cap hit of 600k for the 49ers last season, but is costing the Panther 26M in dead money.

4 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

If anything I think Buffalo needs to trade down and play the compensation game for draft picks. Borrow a page from what Belichick did all those years.

BB sucked at drafting.

• Like (+1) 3

I wouldn't hate it but it looked to me like he lost a step last year. He isn't explosive which is the biggest element our offense is missing. If we're going to trade for that style of  WR I would prefer DeAndre Hopkins, and it's already been reported that he is in fact available for trade.

• Agree 3

Are we extending Gabe Davis? 

If not, I’m certainly open to sending Gabe to Tampa for Mike Evans. 

Still need to draft a WR early.  

Then we can platoon Beasley and Shakir in the slot. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

There’s looking to be a flurry of 30+ year old receivers to be available. Hopkins, Beckham, possibly Keenan Allen and Robert woods. I like evans but I just don’t think they’re going to make moves this offseason. They may target some complimentary type role players imo.. 

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I wouldn't hate it but it looked to me like he lost a step last year. He isn't explosive which is the biggest element our offense is missing. If we're going to trade for that style of  WR I would prefer DeAndre Hopkins, and it's already been reported that he is in fact available for trade.

I hear you. I think Evans is a pedigree player and a good locker room fit.  Won a championship.

This would be Hop's third team in 4 years. He has a volatile reputation, something I wouldn't want to introduce with Diggs and co.

I actually think I overrated Evans' price. I think a third gets it done.

Here's the article:
https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2023/02/mike-evans-to-the-bills-for-gabe-davis-nfl-salary-cap-expert-serves-up-bills-offseason-hot-take.html

"

The 29-year-old has a projected market value of four years and $92 million for his next contract, according to spotrac.com. That comes out to about $23 million per year."

I don't want two 30-plus receivers making $50 million a year for the next few years.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

He was smart in terms of role players and system fits. He was also smart when it came to paying the right players.

Not particularly. His system was "Tom Brady is the best QB of all time and can throw to literal garbage cans."

He drafted 2 ProBowlers since 2014. Joe Thuney (who plays for the Chiefs) and Mac Jones.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Not particularly. His system was "Tom Brady is the best QB of all time and can throw to literal garbage cans."

He drafted 2 ProBowlers since 2014. Joe Thuney (who plays for the Chiefs) and Mac Jones.

He made it to a Super Bowl with Bledsoe IIRC correctly and went 10-5 with Matt Cassel. I hate defending Belichick, I really do but to say he’s a bad coach is flat out wrong.

He made it to a Super Bowl with Bledsoe IIRC correctly and went 10-5 with Matt Cassel. I hate defending Belichick, I really do but to say he’s a bad coach is flat out wrong.

Let’s not act like making it to the super bowl with Bledsoe was a testament to his supreme coaching, Bledsoe was an excellent QB.

That being said, Bellicheat is arguably the greatest defensive coach of all time.

48 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

This ain’t madden bro

i hate this board shooting down any trade idea for a guy "ive heard of".  bills are in need of a wr. op presented a valid argument for both sides having a motivation to do something like this. will it happen? likely no, bc its the nfl not the nba, but we see several star players traded every year.  the same ppl shooting down a thought are the same ones thatd rush out to buy the jersey

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He's bad at drafting.

In respects to his drafting.. Belichick always went after smart and instinctive players rather than physical freaks. Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola, Wes Welker etc. (I know not all of these guys were drafted by him, but it still shows you his blueprint nonetheless)

He placed more value on having a smart team rather than one full of All Stars. Of course he did have those guys too (Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Gronk etc) but once again, he valued smarts and instincts more than anything.

10 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

In respects to his drafting.. Belichick always went after smart and instinctive players rather than physical freaks. Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola, Wes Welker etc. (I know not all of these guys were drafted by him, but it still shows you his blueprint nonetheless)

He placed more value on having a smart team rather than one full of All Stars. Of course he did have those guys too (Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Gronk etc) but once again, he valued smarts and instincts more than anything.

Sure, he had a system. He also found a lot of diamonds in the rough in UDFA or cast-offs from other teams.

But he still sucked at drafting lol.

BB drafted 2 Pro-Bowlers in the last 9 years. We drafted 2 ProBowlers in 2018. If Beane goes another 4 without a single Pro-Bowler, he needs to go lol.

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Sure, he had a system. He also found a lot of diamonds in the rough in UDFA or cast-offs from other teams.

BB drafted 2 Pro-Bowlers in the last 9 years. We drafted 2 ProBowlers in 2018. If Beane goes another 4 without a single Pro-Bowler, he needs to go lol.

Who would you rather be the QB of your defense? Tedy Bruschi or Tremaine Edmunds? Edmunds made 2 Pro Bowls in the last 5 years and Bruschi only made 1 in his entire career. 

See what I mean?

Who would you rather be the QB of your defense? Tedy Bruschi or Tremaine Edmunds? Edmunds made 2 Pro Bowls in the last 5 years and Bruschi only made 1 in his entire career. 

See what I mean?

He didn't draft Teddy dude.

Sure Pro Bowls aren't the best marker but you'd think with Brady throwing the ball, he'd had more than Mac Jones and Thuney.

You guys would not like this. Evans is infuriating to watch. He runs no routes, if he even decides to go more than 70% effort. And then he’ll have a game or two where it looks like he should be a top five WR all time. We are looking for a complete WR that can cross, work the middle, and take a short pass and YAC the hell out of it. JA doesn’t need to be throwing six fly routes to Evans a game. 

Edited by Thrivefourfive
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

2017 was even better. 2 all-pros (Tre & Milano) and a probowler (Dawkins). Interestingly, if you add in FA McDermott added 4 all-pros and a probowler. Could use some of that juice this off-season, particularly in the draft. 

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Gabe Davis and a 2024 2nd

I think this would have more chance as they need to eat dead cap by trading Evans, so doubt they want to take on Oliver’s money and they will get Gabe on the cheap at $2m….still think the 2nd would need to be 2023..

The Bills really need to get their OL fixed as the starting point … I would be looking at a mid level FA acquisition and a top 100 pick at a minimum…. If they can do that and still make this move then great…

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.