Don't think "WR2" in the upcoming draft. Think WR1.

Roundybout

There is a lot of talk about drafting a WR2 to slot between Diggs at WR1 and Davis at WR3. This would be accomplished by taking a WR in the later rounds while we focus on offensive line in round 1 (which is a good idea too). 

I think we have the right idea, but wrong goal. We don't need a WR2, we need to draft a new bonafide WR1 in the first or second round.

Diggs is pushing 30. It's time to start thinking about a contingency plan for when he retires. A new WR1 would allow Diggs to effectively be "WR1b" and allow him to tutor the new rookie. It would give Josh two stud weapons and open the door for Davis to wreak havoc downfield where he's shined, and for Shakir to work on a slot role. 

Get me Rashee Rice or Quentin Johnson, who I think is going to be an absolute star. Hell, Kayshon Boutte is a star already at LSU. Get him starting right away and watch as it's like Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen, Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle, or Davante Adams and Jordy Nelson. We would make sure that the cupboard is stocked for Josh. 

Don't think small with someone to pair with Diggs. Think of someone who can contribute NOW and succeed Diggs. 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 21
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Roundybout said:

We need weapons. No more dusting off John Brown and Cole Beasley. 

Agree...

If Bijan Robinson is there at 27 I don't know how they pass him up...dude is a complete stud. By far the best player they would be able to select there.

If not, any of JSN, Josh Downs or Zay Flowers would make me a happy camper.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I think the OL needs to be addressed in those rounds first and foremost

Maybe, but our late round WR picks have been iffy (even though I'm high on Shakir and Davis is still a solid WR3). Get a blue chip talent. 

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

My hope is 3 OL & 1 WR in the first 4 rounds. What order doesn't really matter as long as we get great value.  And yes very soon we're going to have to target a 1st rounder to transition into Stefon's spot.

Agreed. We need a guard foremost but I think a sneaking need is center. 

12 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I agree that OL needs to be addressed, but FA is first and we will need to find help there. WR help doesn’t have to come in round 1. Adding a quality WR who can uncover quickly will help the OL by giving Allen opportunities to get the ball out quickly. 

27 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

There is a lot of talk about drafting a WR2 to slot between Diggs at WR1 and Davis at WR3. This would be accomplished by taking a WR in the later rounds while we focus on offensive line in round 1 (which is a good idea too). 

I think we have the right idea, but wrong goal. We don't need a WR2, we need to draft a new bonafide WR1 in the first or second round.

Diggs is pushing 30. It's time to start thinking about a contingency plan for when he retires. A new WR1 would allow Diggs to effectively be "WR1b" and allow him to tutor the new rookie. It would give Josh two stud weapons and open the door for Davis to wreak havoc downfield where he's shined, and for Shakir to work on a slot role. 

Get me Rashee Rice or Quentin Johnson, who I think is going to be an absolute star. Hell, Kayshon Boutte is a star already at LSU. Get him starting right away and watch as it's like Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen, Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle, or Davante Adams and Jordy Nelson. We would make sure that the cupboard is stocked for Josh. 

Don't think small with someone to pair with Diggs. Think of someone who can contribute NOW and succeed Diggs. 

It’s semantics.  Suggs doesn’t turn 30 in til November 13th so basically 2023 is still a 29 yr old.  

I’ll agree with you we need the best receiver we can get in the draft and if he’s worth it even trading up.

2-4th rds should be 2 Guards and a Safety.  You can get very good Guards in the 2nd and 3rd rds.  I would also place a bid on Gesecki for the 1B TE.  We’ll have our 2 pass catching RB’s in Hines and Cook, 2 pass catching TE’s in Knox and Gesecki, drafting a top flight WR, 2 Guards and a Safety.

This is a dynamic offense with a solid line as Dawkins, Morse are solid, Bates and Boettger are fine for depth along with Bates, and I still believe in Brown.  He was injured all off season and linemen take 2-3 years to develop.  His back issues sidelined him all off season.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Quinten Johnson is going to be over drafted. He's incredibly stiff, does nothing great and doesn't have good ball skills. If you want a WR#1, you stay as far away from him as possible. 

He is Kevin White 2.0 

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Quinten Johnson is going to be over drafted. He's incredibly stiff, does nothing great and doesn't have good ball skills. If you want a WR#1, you stay as far away from him as possible. 

He is Kevin White 2.0 

Ehhh I think he's got way more burst than White was. White was just a big dude with speed; Johnson has way more finesse. Plus, White was a one-year-wonder. 

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

It’s semantics.  Suggs doesn’t turn 30 in til November 13th so basically 2023 is still a 29 yr old.  

I’ll agree with you we need the best receiver we can get in the draft and if he’s worth it even trading up.

2-4th rds should be 2 Guards and a Safety.  You can get very good Guards in the 2nd and 3rd rds.  I would also place a bid on Gesecki for the 1B TE.  We’ll have our 2 pass catching RB’s in Hines and Cook, 2 pass catching TE’s in Knox and Gesecki, drafting a top flight WR, 2 Guards and a Safety.

This is a dynamic offense with a solid line as Dawkins, Morse are solid, Bates and Boettger are fine for depth along with Bates, and I still believe in Brown.  He was injured all off season and linemen take 2-3 years to develop.  His back issues sidelined him all off season.

I agree with most of what you put here, but it's becoming increasingly questionable if Dawkins is worth what we pay him IMO. He got absolutely eviscerated against the Bengals and I feel that he's played pretty poorly over the last few games. 

I would KILL to have Mike Gesicki on this team. He's criminally misused in Miami. 

Edited by Roundybout
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

5 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Ehhh I think he's got way more burst than White was. White was just a big dude with speed; Johnson has way more finesse. Plus, White was a one-year-wonder. 

I agree with most of what you put here, but it's becoming increasingly questionable if Dawkins is worth what we pay him IMO. He got absolutely eviscerated against the Bengals and I feel that he's played pretty poorly over the last few games. 

I would KILL to have Mike Gesicki on this team. He's criminally misused in Miami. 

It’s rare I have time after 5 am to chat on a weekday, but I’m sitting waiting for a doc so I couldn’t agree more Gesecki is the TE  erosion of Hyde and Poyer where they weren’t used properly by their former teams.  They shined here.

If they convert Diggs and Allen good portion of their salary to signing bonus we should not only be under the cap, but should be able to afford a TE.  They don’t get paid nearly what a top WR would get paid.  These two are just big and fast WR’s.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Don't think Johnson is going to be there for us when we pick.  I think Rice or Boutte may be.  I think both may still be available in the second round.  Unless someone like Bijan Robinson or one of the top prospect OL are still there at our first round selection, it might be an option for us to trade out of the first round and try to get into the early second.  We could get our WR and pickup another pick in the process.

20 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

This draft is pretty deep with OL talent so we should be able to get some well after the first round.

I don't think Gesicki is a good fit for us.  We expect our TE's to be able to block and he's not a good blocker, so he's just a glorified WR. He's also probably going to want more than we would want to spend on a second TE.

We get the protection squared away, we get a solid option opposite Diggs, and Dorsey finally incorporates our backs into the passing game, I think we're sitting pretty good then.

1 hour ago, Patrick Duffy said:

No doubt the OL needs help and we have to fortify that area in the draft, but it’s important to remember that O-line is a very hard position to play in the NFL and not too many rookies offensive linemen make a big impact, especially at tackle.  If you’re trying to get the Bills over the top in 2023, a first round WR is likely to have a greater impact, IMO.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

No doubt the OL needs help and we have to fortify that area in the draft, but it’s important to remember that O-line is a very hard position to play in the NFL and not too many rookies offensive linemen make a big impact, especially at tackle.  If you’re trying to get the Bills over the top in 2023, a first round WR is likely to have a greater impact, IMO.

I agree to an extent and completely understand where you're coming from. I guess it depends how things fall in the draft and what's available when it's Bills turn to pick. 

5 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I agree to an extent and completely understand where you're coming from. I guess it depends how things fall in the draft and what's available when it's Bills turn to pick. 

Unfortunately, it’s an area that has been neglected in the draft for a while now…hard to turn it around in one offseason, but KC managed to do it.

I think Addison, Flowers and Quentin Johnson will be gone. Boutte had a rough year this year but that may be because of his injury.

He is no choir boy but I think CJ Johnson out of ECU (6’1’’ 225 pound man) is a better player than Treylon Burks was last year. Burks went round one, Johnson right now is barely talked about. Get OL early and then draft a bunch of receivers in the middle and late rounds with the ability to play outside and let them earn a spot imo. 

1 minute ago, LEBills said:

I think Addison, Flowers and Quentin Johnson will be gone. Boutte had a rough year this year but that may be because of his injury.

He is no choir boy but I think CJ Johnson out of ECU (6’1’’ 225 pound man) is a better player than Treylon Burks was last year. Burks went round one, Johnson right now is barely talked about. Get OL early and then draft a bunch of receivers in the middle and late rounds with the ability to play outside and let them earn a spot imo. 

Do we want to trust another Eastern Carolina guy after Zay?

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I'll keep saying it, but if Addison is within striking range, go get him.  He is perfect in this Offense for our WR2, and has WR1 potential for when Diggs start slowing down and/or gets moved inside to the slot primarily. 

No more trading up…we’ve wasted too many picks over the years…

2 hours ago, Roundybout said:

What if we think WR1 but we do it in round 6 instead?  That would free up earlier picks to be used on OL and other areas.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

If Bijan Robinson is there at 27 I don't know how they pass him up...dude is a complete stud.

It should be pretty easy to pass........

1. He's a RB.......their franchise tag # is just $10M for a reason........they aren't valued........and by the draft Beane should have a veteran signed from the mass of good backs available.

2. You just drafted James Cook........you don't use a 1st round pick on a RB and then NOT give him 250-300 touches..........that would defeat the "value" proposition of selecting him there..........and James Cook is too good and heavily invested in to not give half the carries to.    

2. Robinson is not a complete stud at RB..........he lacks breakaway speed.........which helps explain his relatively modest ypc numbers despite his other skills.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It should be pretty easy to pass........

1. He's a RB.......their franchise tag # is just $10M for a reason........they aren't valued........and by the draft Beane should have a veteran signed from the mass of good backs available.

2. You just drafted James Cook........you don't use a 1st round pick on a RB and then NOT give him 250-300 touches..........that would defeat the "value" proposition of selecting him there..........and James Cook is too good and heavily invested in to not give half the carries to.    

2. Robinson is not a complete stud at RB..........he lacks breakaway speed.........which helps explain his relatively modest ypc numbers despite his other skills.

Some disagree with your assessment on Robinson. 

3 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Maybe it's time to start thinking about trading Diggs? He ia likely to become a locker room problem.

Get the rookie number WR1 via draft on the cheap. Take the other draft choices and bolster the oline.

Let Edmunds and Poyer walk. Load up on the offense. 

This current team can't win it all. That's the goal so its time to go in a new direction. We fans just can't be happy with playoff appearances.

Any thoughts? 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

We don't have to do this via the draft.  We just seem to be forced to do so because our FO is obsessed with spending on the Defense.  

We don't need Edmunds to win a SB.  We don't need White to win a SB.  Certainly don't need Oliver to do anything.  Edmunds can walk.. Beane can find trade partners for Oliver and White.  That gives us approximately 30-35M in defense-allocated cap space to spend on Allen's Orlando Brown & Joe Thuney in Free Agency, along with the ability to target a WR2 like Chark, Meyers etc. 

If McDermott and Frazier can't make it work with a Defense led by Von Miller, Daquan Jones, Greg Rousseau, Matt Milano, Taron Johnson, Kaiir Elam and Micah Hyde, then why on earth are they here?

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.