SB LVll Game Thread: Eagles VS Chiefs

T&C

Just now, Big Turk said:

You have no clue that is true. You won't know that until the regular season starts after the draft, FAs gained and lost by all teams and who gets injured in training camp and is out long term.

Try to be objective. It’s based on the current talent, and projected QB moves. Jets will get a veteran QB, Jax is improving, Chargers would have been much better if not for injuries. KC and Cincy will still be very good. 

Bills have some tough decisions to get under the cap. And based on recent roster moves I don’t have confidence that Beane will make the necessary player and coaching moves.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Success said:

KC likely wins that game without the holding call.

But refs, C'MON.  You have to be more careful w/ a few minutes to go in the game. You could have called that a dozen times, at least,  Keep it consistent, and above all, DO NOT make calls that decide games.  

How do you figure?  KC has to kick the FG and there's plenty of time for Philly to either tie or take the lead.

Worst call in NFL history.  The outcome of the game was decided on that call, which hadn't been called all night if I remember correctly.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

THAT and 6$ will get you coffee at Starbucks!  Lol !   Hold onto little things ,,,,but cincy worked us and Miami almost did.  It was a nice reg season win,,,maybe next time don't give up the best play of the year to lose a game at home (Vikings game, so you keep home field advantage.  Yet, even that didn’t stop cincy ) in typical bills fashion, and dont come out totally flat and get out coached on Your home field in the playoffs. How about just quit losing  as much in the post season ; having a 4-5 record is not going to get you more than one lombardy even if they had put all 4 of those wins in a single season.   It’s time for the process to produce and quit being passed by other staffs.  

Just being honest,,,,talent is probably there but coaching errors ( defensive mistakes coupled with an inexperienced OC) keep this team from reaching its potential.   When your DC has a “1” D, and cant get a HC interview or even  win assistant COY recognition, and you keep going back down that’s path, people will bypass you in this league. Results are the proof. 

What I’m saying you can’t compare having a number two receiver like Devonte Smith to Gabe Featherstone Davis much less their oline

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Don't get got up in passing yard stats. He was great especially in the second half.

The guy is a winner and has the it factor to the max. The Mahomes hate here continues after he put on his 2nd ring.

Yet, Allen is crowned the best with not even a sniff of a Super Bowl t-shirt.

It's mostly not Allen's fault. The Bills organization has failed him in so many ways. There's a chance that he's wasting away his prime in Buffalo. Like so many on here have said look at what Allen would do on a teams like the Dolphins, Chargers, Jets, KC, Dallas, and Philly to name a few. 

In retrospect, the game was a lot of fun to watch. Enjoyed it as a football fan. On the other hand, I couldn't help but think what coulda shoulda been. 

I'm not hating on Mahomes. I was replying to a guy who said Mahomes was "virtually unstoppable." That is not a label you can put on a QB who threw for under 200 yards. He didn't make any big mistakes and his team was virtually unstoppable in the second half. But he had a very mediocre game. Two of his touchdown passes were thrown to guys who had their entire half of the field uncovered.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I wonder what happens if a Philly player had picked up the RB prior to when he gave himself up and carried him into the endzone...would be one of the most interesting plays in NFL history?  I'm guessing it stops the play where he picks him up?  

The issue was the Philly players just stopped - they should have been coached to run with the ballcarrier and get a hold of him before he goes down to drag him into the EZ

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

From your lips to McDs ears.

Properly invest in protecting and getting weapons for the face of the franchise or be prepared to never have a realistic shot at a title again.

would love an OL like the Eagles have.  They are not in the game without it.  Converting 3 and 4th and shorts.  That 2-point conversion.  Just wow.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I know you are joking. Really isn’t any class anywhere on that team. 
Kelce screaming nobody gave them a chance all year…what a dummy. 

He’s been hitting “the supplements “ pretty hard this year. Playing the no respect fool … such a no class guy. No humility or props to Eagles or the pain his brother must be feeling. Complete idiot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Bizarre game. Two teams I dont like but I think the end result was fair. Philly didnt face a good team all year and it showed. Nice to see them choke under some pressure. Hurts I have to admit was better than the fraud I thought he was but ultimately I dont think he is in the same league as Mahomes/Allen/Burrow.  In the end I wanted the Chiefs to win it only because I didnt think Philly deserves such success so soon after winning a previous SB. I also cant stand their foul mouthed low class coach. Ever since one of the Saturday games back in December where he arrogantly told one of his own coaches? " I know what the F I am doing" on the sidelines, I have thought that guy is classless tactless dbag to act that way. Today I hope is embarrassed at his blubbering before the game too.  Cue the riot in Philly! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I've only been saying this for 5 years. Tired of waiting for these knuckleheads to figure it out. 

It’s amazing, it’s only been the secret for success for 60 years lol but somehow Beane and McDermott can’t figure it out🤔🤔🤔🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

would love an OL like the Eagles have.  They are not in the game without it.  Converting 3 and 4th and shorts.  That 2-point conversion.  Just wow.  

It really makes me mad to see their line and then think back to how often Josh is getting pressured almost as soon as he takes the snap in the gun.

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Mahomes is more important than Reid.  

He is, but let’s not act like he was his superhuman self tonight.

Reid calls some spectacular motions in the short game and gave Mahomes wide open options at the goal line.

Bolton deserved the MVP over Mahomes imo

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

yeah, it’s pretty sad honestly.

I don't think anyone really blames Allen. 

The Bills organization has clearly failed to build a winner around Allen. They have had 6 years to do it without much playoff success. No Super Bowl or even a sniff at one. 

I think most are blaming management and the coaching staff. The Allen criticism is a by product of the failed mission of the Bills organization.

Now they are severely handicapped by cap issues, pending contracts, poor player development, poor draft choices, and poor coaching. Not an optimal position to be in.

Allen is virtually the sole reason the Bills have been so successful. To be honest, the organization has let him down along with its fans. My fear is he's being wasted in Buffalo. How many more missed opportunities await? 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4

13 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Bizarre game. Two teams I dont like but I think the end result was fair. Philly didnt face a good team all year and it showed. Nice to see them choke under some pressure. Hurts I have to admit was better than the fraud I thought he was but ultimately I dont think he is in the same league as Mahomes/Allen/Burrow.  In the end I wanted the Chiefs to win it only because I didnt think Philly deserves such success so soon after winning a previous SB. I also cant stand their foul mouthed low class coach. Ever since one of the Saturday games back in December where he arrogantly told one of his own coaches? " I know what the F I am doing" on the sidelines, I have thought that guy is classless tactless dbag to act that way. Today I hope is embarrassed at his blubbering before the game too.  Cue the riot in Philly! 

eh, I dislike KC slightly more.  Travis Kelce has to be one of the cockiest players to ever play.  He's infinitely more classless than the Eagles coach, who in the example you cite likely got into an argument likely with a cocky position coach who questioned Nick because he's young.  

I also hate poor officiating deciding games.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Success said:

I'd agree - but Reid is still important. If he retires, it makes things much harder for the Chiefs.

Sure, they could pick up another top coach. But I wouldn't bet on it.

If Reid retires and Bieniemy gets picked up for a HC gig, the Chiefs are a much different looking team.

If Reid were possibly thinking retirement though I think he would've let them know so they could possibly promote Bieniemy instead of him leaving too.

Edited by Billz4ever

2 minutes ago, Nitro said:

I watched and found it to be a tepid game.  The holding call was 50/50.  The bad punt in the beginning of the fourth quarter and subsequent 65 yard return was the game changer for me. 

tepid is the perfect word for it.

but the holding call was egregious.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Wasn't it called on 2nd down? Can't recall but thought they still had 3rd down if it wasn't called.

It was 3rd down. They'd have kicked & we'd have gotten an exciting minute twenty of football to see if Philly could come back. Instead I got a boring anticlimactic minute of Mahomes kneeing for a gimme field goal. The refs determined that, ending with that call. He was inside 5 yds where he can have contact, there wasn't much of a hold, that's a no call all season long, not sure why they decided to make the game about them there instead of letting them play.

& The "what's a catch" calls must have had the international audiences saying "boy what's with Americans not knowing a catch when they see one".

In the end Philly should have won, but let the Chiefs back in it & really only have themselves to blame. 

Edited by Donuts and Doritos
  • Like (+1) 4

Happy for Andy Reid.

I hope he coaches another 5-7 years. If he does he will be in the conversation for GOAT HC, especially given his coaching tree.

He'll be top 3-4 at least all time in HC wins, with 2 different teams, multiple SB wins and only got a true top QB late in his career.

After all that crap of he can't win the big one it's nice to see him get his props. 

• Like (+1) 2

The tough part of the game deciding defensive holding call is you can probably find some type of defensive holding (or offensive holding) on more than 50% of NFL plays.  But, it should be an extremely blatant & obvious defensive hold to throw a flag that basically decides the outcome of the game.

That defensive holding call was not blatant or obvious. Therefore, it was a horrible call. The NFL needs to learn from basketball’s unwritten rulebook that a foul on a last second shot must be very blatant and obvious before the foul is called. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

How do you figure?  KC has to kick the FG and there's plenty of time for Philly to either tie or take the lead.

Worst call in NFL history.  The outcome of the game was decided on that call, which hadn't been called all night if I remember correctly.

There have always been bad calls or ignored calls. The pats beat Atlanta only because the refs ignored a face masking call on the pats which led to a sack and a punt instead of time off the clock and a field goal. Totally gave the pats the time to come back and win, just not as obvious but just as crucial. The Eagles got plenty of good fortune on calls tonight, the last one was just at a bad place and time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

He is, but let’s not act like he was his superhuman self tonight.

Reid calls some spectacular motions in the short game and gave Mahomes wide open options at the goal line.

Bolton deserved the MVP over Mahomes imo

agree with all those points, but I think that KC will be just fine without Reid.  They'll find someone who can get WRs open like that.  When you have a good OL that can create time you get WRs open.  

I'd give the MVP to the Eagles OL (I know, has to be one person, and only once has gone to losing team).  That said, no single player really stood out all game.  Mahomes is a lazy pick (QB on winning team).   

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MPT said:

I'm not hating on Mahomes. I was replying to a guy who said Mahomes was "virtually unstoppable." That is not a label you can put on a QB who threw for under 200 yards. He didn't make any big mistakes and his team was virtually unstoppable in the second half. But he had a very mediocre game. Two of his touchdown passes were thrown to guys who had their entire half of the field uncovered.

I get what you are saying. However, Mahomes did everything right in the second half. He led his team to victory. 

Somehow if it were Allen playing I think your thinking would be different. 

4 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

It was 3rd down. They'd have kicked & we'd have gotten an exciting minute twenty of football to see if Philly could come back. Instead I got a boring anticlimactic minute of Mahomes kneeing for a gimme field goal. The refs determined that, ending with that call. He was inside 5 yds where he can have contact, there wasn't much of a hold, that's a no call all season long, not sure why they decided to make the game about them there instead of letting them play.

& The "what's a catch" calls must have had the international audiences saying "boy what's with Americans not knowing a catch when they see one".

In the end Philly should have won, but let the Chiefs back in it & really only have themselves to blame. 

they did let the Chiefs back in.  One of my friends texted me they looked like the Bills letting someone come back with bizarre plays.  But I'd be angry at the Refs also.  

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Not a single offensive hold or defensive hold call all night.

can’t call the game one way, and then switch with 50 seconds left in the game. 

Bingo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

There have always been bad calls or ignored calls. The pats beat Atlanta only because the refs ignored a face masking call on the pats which led to a sack and a punt instead of time off the clock and a field goal. Totally gave the pats the time to come back and win, just not as obvious but just as crucial. The Eagles got plenty of good fortune on calls tonight, the last one was just at a bad place and time.

I see non calls differently than calls like that though.

That gave the Chiefs a first down they didn't earn and it basically ended the game. That shouldn't happen in any game, nevermind the Super Bowl.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Happy for Andy Reid.

I hope he coaches another 5-7 years. If he does he will be in the conversation for GOAT HC, especially given his coaching tree.

He'll be top 3-4 at least all time in HC wins, with 2 different teams, multiple SB wins and only got a true top QB late in his career.

After all that crap of he can't win the big one it's nice to see him get his props. 

this one gets a big ** from me.  Hurts gifting KC a TD, Refs gifting KC inability to come back.  Really coaching didn't stand out today.  

Just now, Billz4ever said:

I see non calls differently than calls like that though.

That gave the Chiefs a first down they didn't earn and it basically ended the game. That shouldn't happen in any game, nevermind the Super Bowl.

I disagree, I think any time you give a team an advantage it’s wrong, whether you ignore a blatant call or make a weak or non existent one they both affect the outcome. I wanted the chiefs except I wanted Kelce to get his face stomped. But I felt dirty after that, and we all got cheated out of a possible great finish or overtime game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.