Damar to play again?

BeastMode54

11 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Hopefully he can play again and also hopefully he doesn't make our team because we have upgraded at the position. Both can be true 

Bills wouldn't cut him.  LOL.  Not a great look.  He'd be a reliable backup at worst.  I have a hunch he plays next season.

• Like (+1) 1

So, in other words they have found nothing wrong with him. Interesting.

11 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Having been through heart issues, (ten days in cardiac ICU & anther nine days in a step down unit)) and now remarkably healthy…, If I”m Damar Hamlin, I”m on my sailboat in the Bahamas, and that is exactly where I am right now. Damar is a wealthy man, being his salary was guaranteed in full by the Bills, he has gotten a second chance as I have gotten, time to move on young man, there is a much wider world out there, and it offers far more than football can give to you.

You are livin the dream brother

• Thank you (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Kiva said:

It’s just not worth sacrificing our season again for a second string safety. It’s time to move on and upgrade at that position, he was pretty terrible at pass protection and ok and run D.  We can find better without the distraction. 

Thanks, but respectfully...this is a strange answer.

If your position is "I think we can upgrade at the safety position", then fine. I agree.

How that leads you to "I hope Damar Hamlin doesn't play football again" or the notion that his returning would somehow equate to the Bills "sacrificing their season", I have no idea.

18 hours ago, Success said:

I'd love to see it, as long as he's cleared to return.  As a player, he got some criticism here - but we missed him when he was out, and he's one of the more physical players we have. Which is something we really need.

I thought he was much improved as the season went on.  He doesn't have Hyde's instincts, and he missed some tackles here and there, but he was SO much better than Johnson/Lewis/Marlowe.  I'm hopeful that they have a plan at safety with poyer a free agent and Hamlin and Hyde on the mend.  Maybe Benford? 

I only say this because:

• He's big - 6'1 205
  • He's a good tackler
  • He's not fast - 4.53 40 time at the combine
  • He's got some man coverage chops, and has a good feel for zone.  
  • It's probably the best pathway to snaps.  If it's Elam White and Johnson, he's competing with Dane for backup snaps.  
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I hope not.

IMO, thats like a dude who was hit by lightning deciding to never go outside again.

getting hit by lightning is extremely unlikely to happen to most people.

however, it happens to multiple people every year, and always will.

if Drs are certain it was what everyone suspects, he could and should play if he's up to it

19 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

Can we bet on comeback player of the year in New York? 

no. theres only bets on competitive events, nothing thats award based.

good idea though, especially since he very well could be the starter coming into OTA's for first time in career

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I care more about damar Hamlin the person right now than I do the player

if hes cleared then you have to consider the mental side and quality of life.

if its indeed deemed a freak accident, and he still loves the game he'll play

it would be incredibly sad to be cleared, love the game, and give up his once in a lifetime chance at his dream

id imagine mentally its similar to the guys coming off ACL, that are scared to cut

slowly the lean back into it, trust their body, take some hits, gain some confidence till eventually back 2 normal

what a great story whether he comes back or not. proud of this dude (Hail Pitt!)

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

IMO, thats like a dude who was hit by lightning deciding to never go outside again.

getting hit by lightning is extremely unlikely to happen to most people.

however, it happens to multiple people every year, and always will.

if Drs are certain it was what everyone suspects, he could and should play if he's up to it

no. theres only bets on competitive events, nothing thats award based.

good idea though, especially since he very well could be the starter coming into OTA's for first time in career

except lightning is going to be hitting Damar on every play.

A guy struck by lightning is never going to be out in a lightning storm again.

19 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Hopefully he can play again and also hopefully he doesn't make our team because we have upgraded at the position. Both can be true 

dude is a solid backup, on a rookie contract.  Would love him on the team.  Seemed to be getting better as the season went along.  We need to upgrade starters perhaps at safety given the age of our guys and likelihood of Poyer not returning and/or Hyde not being ready, but Hamlin is not an issue, IMO.  

19 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Having been through heart issues, (ten days in cardiac ICU & anther nine days in a step down unit)) and now remarkably healthy…, If I”m Damar Hamlin, I”m on my sailboat in the Bahamas, and that is exactly where I am right now. Damar is a wealthy man, being his salary was guaranteed in full by the Bills, he has gotten a second chance as I have gotten, time to move on young man, there is a much wider world out there, and it offers far more than football can give to you.

serious question though. Damars what 24 or 25, complete assumption but im guessing you're older than that. Would you have thought that way at 24 or 25? Dude was a HUGEEEEEEEEE 4 star recruit for Pitt, was a big deal when they landed him. Point being dude very likely has loved the game for 15years, this is his Bahamas.  i never want to see anyone walk away from something they love if it's safe

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Thanks, but respectfully...this is a strange answer.

If your position is "I think we can upgrade at the safety position", then fine. I agree.

How that leads you to "I hope Damar Hamlin doesn't play football again" or the notion that his returning would somehow equate to the Bills "sacrificing their season", I have no idea.

If he wants to risk playing again, that his prerogative, just not with the Bills. We sacrificed our season this year due to an injury that lead to a cancelled game, no need to potentially do it AGAIN next year.  It’s time to move on. 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Kiva said:

If he wants to risk playing again, that his prerogative, just not with the Bills. We sacrificed our season this year due to an injury that lead to a cancelled game, no need to potentially do it AGAIN next year.  It’s time to move  

Your logic is flawed.

The Bills didn’t sacrifice anything.  They didn’t even make it to the championship game, so the 1 seed was moot.  

What happened to Hamlin was what appears to be a freak occurrence that could conceivably happen to any player on the field; this Sunday or as long as football is played going forward.   Get a grip.

22 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Bills wouldn't cut him.  LOL.  Not a great look.  He'd be a reliable backup at worst.  I have a hunch he plays next season.

I have no doubt he makes the roster and returns to his backup position.  If it was Commodio Cordis then the odds of it happening again are 1 in a million. 

19 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

serious question though. Damars what 24 or 25, complete assumption but im guessing you're older than that. Would you have thought that way at 24 or 25? Dude was a HUGEEEEEEEEE 4 star recruit for Pitt, was a big deal when they landed him. Point being dude very likely has loved the game for 15years, this is his Bahamas.  i never want to see anyone walk away from something they love if it's safe

I can see that view, it certainly his choice, but the odds are higher for re-injury / new injury returning to the game, depends on how immortal he is feeling, I hope he is fulfilled in whatever the choice he makes. 

23 hours ago, purple haze said:

Your logic is flawed.

The Bills didn’t sacrifice anything.  They didn’t even make it to the championship game, so the 1 seed was moot.  

What happened to Hamlin was what appears to be a freak occurrence that could conceivably happen to any player on the field; this Sunday or as long as football is played going forward.   Get a grip.

But the path to the championship game would’ve been MUCH easier with the 1 seed. We were screwed out of our 1st round bye and a cake game against the Jags because of an injury. Our season was derailed.

He now has a pre-existing condition that should be treated very cautiously concerning his future.  Bills need to wish him luck and move on.  Just not worth the risk for his health and our team success. 

On 2/8/2023 at 1:13 PM, Logic said:

Why?

Cuz his heart stopped beating on the field.  Cuz what happened to him has only happened to one other dude in NFL history. I'm not a doctor granted, but makes me think it could be pathological and could happen again. Yeah I know, cleared by doctors, but doctors are not always right.  Sounds too risky to me with one's life, but that just me.  So I hope he doesn't.

He's a grown ass man and did fulfill his dream of playing in the NFL for 2 years and 2 playoff games.  He'll make his own decision as will the Bills or some other team perhaps.

On 2/11/2023 at 1:01 AM, reddogblitz said:

Cuz his heart stopped beating on the field.  Cuz what happened to him has only happened to one other dude in NFL history. I'm not a doctor granted, but makes me think it could be pathological and could happen again. Yeah I know, cleared by doctors, but doctors are not always right.  Sounds too risky to me with one's life, but that just me.  So I hope he doesn't.

He's a grown ass man and did fulfill his dream of playing in the NFL for 2 years and 2 playoff games.  He'll make his own decision as will the Bills or some other team perhaps.

With all due respect,

The bolded statements were the only two things you really needed to say.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Any thoughts on why Damar agrees to an interview with Michael Strahan and then in that interview refuses to answer any questions about the incident or what actually happened to him? The whole thing is very strange. It’s as if they’re trying to feed the conspiracy theorists…

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, mannc said:

Any thoughts on why Damar agrees to an interview with Michael Strahan and then in that interview refuses to answer any questions about the incident or what actually happened to him? The whole thing is very strange. It’s as if they’re trying to feed the conspiracy theorists…

The conspiracy theorists are going to do what the conspiracy theorists are going to do, and they will believe what they will believe. There is nothing that can be said or done to change their minds. 

12 minutes ago, H2o said:

The conspiracy theorists are going to do what the conspiracy theorists are going to do, and they will believe what they will believe. There is nothing that can be said or done to change their minds. 

So no answers to the actual question I posed?

28 minutes ago, mannc said:

So no answers to the actual question I posed?

The answer is they could have talked about it or had GoPro footage of the entire incident from start to finish, but the conspiracy theorists are still going to believe whatever they want to believe. It could also be that he just wants to move past it, not think about it, and get on with the rest of his life. Only Damar knows.  

1 minute ago, H2o said:

The answer is they could have talked about it or had GoPro footage of the entire incident from start to finish, but the conspiracy theorists are still going to believe whatever they want to believe. It could also be that he just wants to move past it, not think about it, and get on with the rest of his life. Only Damar knows.  

“Moving past it” is not consistent with doing national interviews, but you knew that already.  I don’t have the answer, but I find the whole thing completely bizarre.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

“Moving past it” is not consistent with doing national interviews, but you knew that already.  I don’t have the answer, but I find the whole thing completely bizarre.

He's all over the place in terms of visibility.  Interviews, media stuff, hanging with Lebron, pictures with Travis Scott, Meek Mill etc., certainly not consistent with someone who wants to be low-key about his recovery (and that's fine.. I don't hate that for him), but I'd agree that the whole situation has been, and is staying, a bit odd.

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He's all over the place in terms of visibility.  Interviews, media stuff, hanging with Lebron, pictures with Travis Scott, Meek Mill etc., certainly not consistent with someone who wants to be low-key about his recovery (and that's fine.. I don't hate that for him), but I'd agree that the whole situation has been, and is staying, a bit odd.

And as far as I can tell, very little discussion of it here, on the internet’s premier Buffalo Bills discussion forum😄😄

40 minutes ago, mannc said:

31 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Oh, I definitely agree with both of you. It is strange, and some things don't sit right with me about it, but I'm not buying the whole clone thing or anything like that. Apparently we can't discuss some other things either because every thread gets shut down. Either way, I'd imagine all of this will continue to play out and he shows up with a clean bill at TC when it gets started. I will say this though, I hope the clone is an upgraded All-Pro version. You know, just in case that is the case. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, H2o said:

Oh, I definitely agree with both of you. It is strange, and some things don't sit right with me about it, but I'm not buying the whole clone thing or anything like that. Apparently we can't discuss some other things either because every thread gets shut down. Either way, I'd imagine all of this will continue to play out and he shows up with a clean bill at TC when it gets started. I will say this though, I hope the clone is an upgraded All-Pro version. You know, just in case that is the case. :thumbsup:

He's a young guy who has been thrust into the spotlight because he literally died on the field on national television.  In the blink of an eye, you go from a relatively-to-completely unknown (outside of Buffalo) 6th round draft pick backup/role player, to waking up with the entire world knowing your name and image, millions upon millions of dollars in your tiny charitable foundation, and every media outlet in the country wanting a piece of you.  Add to that the psychological trauma of knowing you were basically dead and that your survival was a minor medical miracle, and the actual physical effects and trying to heal from that, and it adds up to a whole lot for a young man to deal with.  That's a whirlwind for anyone and I'm sure he's a little lost at the moment trying to balance his emotional needs with all of the requests for his time being thrown at him.  

4 hours ago, mannc said:

why would he refuse? Things just don’t add up or make sense with this guy. Sketch. Happy he is alive and survived a horrible incident but man this guy is sketch. 

1 minute ago, wppete said:

why would he refuse? Things just don’t add up or make sense with this guy. Sketch. Happy he is alive and survived a horrible incident but man this guy is sketch. 

I like this fake Damar. Looks like he could hit the weight room and maybe even make the team. Give him number 3A, as in Alternate. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.