Dolphins fire DC Josh Boyer

BuffaloBills1998

This is insane to me. They always had the Bills offense on a struggle bus. Even when the Bills were moving and scoring it felt like they were using everything got to do so. 

Is he aggressive with his blitzing? Absolutely. But it worked IMO

Edited by appoo
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, appoo said:

This is insane to me. They always had the Bills offense on a struggle bus. Even when the Bills were moving and scoring it felt like they were using everything got to do so. 

It didnt work.  The Bills lost one game against them since Josh Allen.  We should have won that game too.

• Agree 6

1 minute ago, appoo said:

It worked against the BIlls, but not many other teams. They were 24th in points allowed, 18th in yards allowed, and 30th in turnovers forced. And that's a unit with real talent. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/dolphins-fire-josh-boyer-after-three-seasons-as-defensive-coordinator

I got to say, he had something for the Bills. 

5 of Allen's 9 strip sack fumbles and 3 of his 4 strip sack lost fumbles were vs. Miami

17 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It worked against the BIlls, but not many other teams. They were 24th in points allowed, 18th in yards allowed, and 30th in turnovers forced. And that's a unit with real talent. 

A valid point.  I hope they shred his gameplans for the Bills then 😃

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/dolphins-fire-josh-boyer-after-three-seasons-as-defensive-coordinator

I got to say, he had something for the Bills. 

5 of Allen's 9 strip sack fumbles and 3 of his 4 strip sack lost fumbles were vs. Miami

A valid point.  I hope they shred his gameplans for the Bills then 😃

Because they blitzed more than anyone else sending everyone.

57 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

He obviously didn’t see the bombs away festival coming and for that he lost his job. 

No because he took what was a top 5 ranked defense and had them finish 27th overall. With all that talent on the defense they shouldn’t have been as bad as they were this season overall. 

14 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Reuniting with Flores in Arizona?

No, Flores alienated his whole staff last year by refusing to talk to anyone. He burned a lot of bridges which has me surprised that Arizona is showing Interest for him being their HC. With his reputation idk who would want to work with him 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

he got the most out of his unit against the Bills. it was actually impressive. I am pleasantly surprised by this 

I mean I can understand why they fired him. Miami’s defense last season finished as a top 5 unit but Boyer brought them down to 27th ranked overall this year. No way that defense should’ve been as bad as they were this season especially with all the talent they had and adding Chubb from Denver in a trade.

1 hour ago, appoo said:

It did? The Bills offense has appeared to be on the struggle bus against several teams this year (despite still ending up scoring points). It also turns out that despite playing them 3 times this year that most of Miami's games weren't against the Bills and Miami's defense was an issue in many of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, appoo said:

It really didn't work.  Putting the Bills through some frustrating moments didn't equate to us not moving the ball or scoring points.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, appoo said:

They struggled to four touchdowns and two field goals after turning the ball over three times?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I kind of admire Boyer and don’t think he’s a terrible DC.  He knew he was cooked when he played the Bills yesterday so he threw everything he could at Josh.  The turnovers helped Miami stay close.  

• Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I kind of admire Boyer and don’t think he’s a terrible DC.  He knew he was cooked when he played the Bills yesterday so he threw everything he could at Josh.  The turnovers helped Miami stay close.  

I was watching the game and thinking out loud saying where did this defense come from?? Why hasn’t Miami’s defense played like this all season?  But that makes sense though kind of a last hurrah for Boyer who himself knows he’s a dead man walking after their season is over. 

2 hours ago, appoo said:

It worked against Buffalo a couple of times. Overall it fails miserably and did on Sunday.

He is awful. Sad they fired him. To be where they are in defense with the talent they have on that side of the ball is criminal.

Thank heavens Schwartz is already off the market. Their personnel is darn near perfect for him.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I was watching the game and thinking out loud saying where did this defense come from?? Why hasn’t Miami’s defense played like this all season?  But that makes sense though kind of a last hurrah for Boyer who himself knows he’s a dead man walking after their season is over. 

It has played like that all season. Most teams carve it up. It was more effective Sunday because the Bills only answer to heavy blitz, cover 0 was throw deep. 

Edited by GunnerBill

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It worked against Buffalo a couple of times. Overall it fails miserably. 

He is awful. Sad they fired him. To be where they are in defense with the talent they have on that side of the ball is criminal.

Thank heavens Schwartz is already off the market. Their personnel is darn near perfect for him.

Not necessarily,Jim runs a 4-3 scheme while Miami’s defense is a 3-4. Majority of players on their defense are 3-4 players. Fangio is probably their best bet or they might target the DC in Denver since they’re gonna fire that whole staff

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

Just now, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Not necessarily,Jim runs a 4-3 scheme while Miami’s defense is a 3-4. Majority of players on their defense are 3-4 players

Nah. Phillips would be a good 4-3 end, Chubb would be better in that system as a wide 9 rusher where he is just told to get after the passer, Wilkins is crying out to be let loose as a 3T rathet than having to two gap. Their DBs are perfect fits for Schwartz's press bail on the outside.

They'd need a middle linebacker. But that apart they could roll this personnel out in a Schwartz D and be excellent quickly IMO.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They struggled to four touchdowns and two field goals after turning the ball over three times?

I suppose one could argue that their D generated three takeaways and scored a TD. But really, none of those were great defensive plays - they were offensive blunders: a miscommunication on a route, a perfect pass that bounced off the receiver's chest and into the hands of a defender, and a free rusher causing a strip sack. (On the strip, Romo said Josh missed the hot route to Motor, but I thought Motor should have blocked the guy.)

By all rights, the Bills should have put up more than 50 points on that D.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah. Phillips would be a good 4-3 end, Chubb would be better in that system as a wide 9 rusher where he is just told to get after the passer, Wilkins is crying out to be let loose as a 3T rathet than having to two gap. Their DBs are perfect fits for Schwartz's press bail on the outside.

They'd need a middle linebacker. But that apart they could roll this personnel out in a Schwartz D and be excellent quickly IMO.

You could be right but honestly I think Miami sticks out the 3-4 scheme and finds a 3-4 DC the only ones their for now are both Fangio and the DC from Hackett’s staff in Denver

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

You could be right but honestly I think Miami sticks out the 3-4 scheme and finds a 3-4 DC the only ones their for now are both Fangio and the DC from Hackett’s staff in Denver

Fangio is a top defensive coordinator I have no doubt he'd make their personnel work too. Otherwise to me they have a lot of 4-3 guys crying out for a scheme change. The other guy who makes some sense to me might be Pet. He is a hybrid 3-4/4-3 guy. McDaniel was on his staff a year in Cleveland.

4 hours ago, appoo said:

This year it worked.  Prior to this year Josh Allen was Miami's daddy for some time

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.