Josh Allen Bashers, what's your solution?

ChicagoRic

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I’ve defended for him and I’ve said some things about him in frustration. But I’m glad he’s our QB and I wouldn’t trade him for anyone. The guy was born to play here

Terrific. But that’s not good enough. Allen is a panicked, erratic, inaccurate, turnover machine. His decision making is inexplicable. His ball security is non-existent. It may be injuries, it may be distrust in the play calling/OL, or it may be who he is. But no more whitewashing and no more pretending he’s better than he is.

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We’ve played Miami’s cover zero many times. We’ve never attacked it like that. Yes the deep shot will be there but we aren’t built for those 1v1 go balls. 

Again Allen was pretty much on target but we’ve faced that defense many times. If the plan was chuck it deep vs cover zero then it was a terrible plan. 

We will see better what was going on watching it back but I shook my head every time he launched it. In cover zero everyone is 1v1 so saying progressions is incorrect. That’s a pre-snap decision. So the question I have is was that a game plan decision (Dorsey) or was it Allen. I think it was Allen.

That terrible plan produced 34 points - really should have been 41 if Knox doesn’t drop a TD. You think Allen played 4 quarters going away from the game plan ? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Terrific. But that’s not good enough. Allen is a panicked, erratic, inaccurate, turnover machine. His decision making is inexplicable. His ball security is non-existent. It may be injuries, it may be distrust in the play calling/OL, or it may be who he is. But no more whitewashing and no more pretending he’s better than he is.

Honestly I would love to see Allen’s stats in prime time or playoffs vs his stats when not.

Now I understand this was a playoff game but it felt more like a preseason game where most just wanted to get out of it with no injuries.

Allen plays different in bigger moments.

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

That terrible plan produced 34 points - really should have been 41 if Knox doesn’t drop a TD. You think Allen played 4 quarters going away from the game plan ? 

Like I said, Allen was on target. 

11 minutes ago, Airseven said:

I am going to lose so much sleep at night, knowing that you think that our qb is not acceptable

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Punch said:

The only way to fix this is to sign Josh Rosen, he should’ve been the pick in 2018. Right this wrong, Beane!

I think Beane does not do the signing of the janitorial staff but I might be wrong.

28 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am going to lose so much sleep at night, knowing that you think that our qb is not acceptable

You would lose less if you put him on ignore.  Too bad putting people on ignore did not include quotes or I would sleep better.

My solution is we HAVE to stop turning the ball over. 

The OC needs to help him, but Josh needs to make better decisions. He said it himself after the game. He can't keep putting the team in bad positions. 

Last night was the full Josh Allen Experience. Incredible plays and mistakes. That is enough to get past a poor Miami team. But if you give Joe Burrow 7 points and another 4 short fields (2 on offense, 2 on STs) you will lose.  

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Picks weren’t on him.  

Fumble was.. gotta eat that. 

Me personally, just check it down once in a while.  Even if it’s just a designed check down to keep the chains moving and keep the opposing defense honest.

You want to launch another laser after we get 7-8 yards on a 2nd and 5 when we need a small semblance of momentum/possession.. have at it.   

The fumble at the beginning of 2nd half was not his fault.  He had no shot to even protect the ball;  the dolphins DL was already on him.

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My solution is we HAVE to stop turning the ball over. 

The OC needs to help him, but Josh needs to make better decisions. He said it himself after the game. He can't keep putting the team in bad positions. 

Last night was the full Josh Allen Experience. Incredible plays and bonehead mistakes. That is enough to get past a poor Miami team. But if you give Joe Burrow 7 points and another 4 short fields (2 on offense, 2 on STs) you will lose.  

If I'm harsh I'd respond that he says it a lot but things don't change. However, in terms of potential turnovers, I'd only put the two fumbles on him today, and we kept the ball on the first. I don't think he can be held responsible for the interceptions, particularly the second.

I am stomaching watching the game back and in the second and fourth quarters in particular I want to see what, if anything, was available underneath, as some posters are saying they blocked that route. At the time I didn't think that, but I'll feel slightly happier about the consistent deep ball attempts if that was the case.

Edited by UKBillFan

40 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The fumble at the beginning of 2nd half was not his fault.  He had no shot to even protect the ball;  the dolphins DL was already on him.

He HAS to diagnose that blitz and either adjust the protection or if he is still having Singletary run a hot then its  ball out immediately. If neither of those are options he just needs to go down straight away, curl up and protect the football. The blitzer is not on the oline, it is either on the back in pass protection or the QB and given Josh still sent Singletary on a hot it is then his responsibility. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

If I'm harsh I'd respond that he says it a lot but things don't change. However, in terms of potential turnovers, I'd only put the two fumbles on him today, and we kept the ball on the first. I don't think he can be held responsible for the interceptions, particularly the second.

I am stomaching watching the game back and in the second and fourth quarters in particular I want to see what, if anything, was available underneath, as some posters are saying they blocked that route. At the time I didn't think that, but I'll feel slightly happier about the consistent deep ball attempts if that was the case.

The second INT is not on Josh, that is on Beasley. The first one.... I don't think it is a great read and he just kinda throws it up. It is the sort of play to be fair that I don't mind Josh making because he will get some big plays on those over the course of time. But I think in the context of the game it was the wrong decision. It was a layered route where the Bills have three guys running different depths to the same side of the field. It is first down. He can go to Morris for a short gain of an easy 4 or 5 yards, he can get the ball over the linebacker for Knox on the out breaker in the intermediate zone (which I think was the primary read) or he can try the deep shot 1v1. I think between Dorsey and Allen they took that third option too much yesterday and it made the offense very boom or bust and mistake prone. In the scenario, up 17-3 against a QB struggling to move the ball the Bills should have just kept taking the easy stuff rather than trying to force the ball downfield. 

EDIT: should also say none of the above exonerates John Brown who Romo was right, didn't run the route properly. But it is partly on Josh because I think it is the wrong read. It was getting greedy when they didn't need to. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 6

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Watched Favre have a few games like that for 20 years.  

Only one I put on him today is the fumble.  That was horrendous.  But those things happen when you believe like Favre did that you can do literally whatever you want on the field.   

He was overall outstanding today against a very hungry and angry defense that he keeps lighting up.  

Fun fact - THREE of our 5 WRs today - one is a rookie that hardly plays and the other 2 just rejoined the team a month ago.   

Josh Allen continues to do more and asked to do more with less then any QB.  

Really sick of hearing about Burrow in the conversation as an MVP when you have 2 of the 15 best WRs in the league - and Joe Mixon.  When one of Chase or Higgins has been out Burrow isn't the same.  Gabe Davis isn’t Tee Higgins - yet (told y’all the breakout might be a year too soon he was so raw as a rookie).     

And really sick of hearing any of our fans even sweat it at this point honestly.  Let them argue their tiers and power rankings.  Nit pick over INTs.  All Allen has done is win since the last 6 games of his rookie season.  

And I love that he takes accountability for the mistakes - he doesn’t make any excuses or quantifies them like I just did.  He owns them. Then he credits everyone else.  

Yeah, he owns the mistakes and says he needs to do better, then does the same things the next game.  Like you said, he’s like Favre and we just have to accept it.  If the Bills can make the playoffs most seasons and win a Super Bowl like Favre did for GB, we should all be happy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Airseven said:

So whats your plan genius. You want to trade or get rid of a top 5 QB for who. Sorry Josh performance couldnt make you feel better about yourself. I dont know why some of you even bother to watch the games

We all love Josh.  But he made mistakes yesterday that almost cost the game.  And to be truthful they are mistakes he’s been making for a while now.  The fumble they ran in for the TD was egregious; he simply has to take the sack there.  Continually throwing long when we were up 10, and giving them the ball back vs. running shorter routes and taking time off the clock is another.  He fell into hero ball mode too much.

We don’t know if these were Dorsey’s calls or not, but Josh has been around long enough now to know better on these type of things.  I think it’s reasonable to wonder how much the emotions of all that’s gone on this year weigh on him.  Again, we all love the guy.  I am confident we will win a Lombardi with him at the helm.  But unfortunately I am equally confident we have no chance of doing so if he plays like he did yesterday.  And I would be delighted to be wrong.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

Welp, I've been reading up on the board, and it looks like Allen had another TERRIBLE GAME, with the Bills winning DESPITE HIM for the 8th game in a row. 

3 Fumbles!  2 INTS!  Completions under 60%!  This guy is a liability. 

BAD JOSH!  I'm tired of HERO BALL.  The ARM ARROGANCE.  352 Yards with long shots to Diggs, Davis and Shakir just don't make up for it. Neither does the perfectly placed TD pass to Knox.  Or the timely run to pick up a key 1st down.  This guy does not deserve a roster spot, let alone a game ball. 

It's time to get Keenum and Barkley ready to go for next week, because they RESPECT BALL SECURITY.

Go Bills!

We're not allowed to criticize players or the coaches after a win even though they made a lot of mistakes ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, nucci said:

We're not allowed to criticize players or the coaches after a win even though they made a lot of mistakes ?

Sure you can.  I'm just pointing out how silly some people look when they criticize the best player on the team to the point where it makes him sound completely inept.  Some even double down on their arguments in a thread like this one.....which I guess illustrates my point so..... Yay Me?  Lol. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

Sure you can.  I'm just pointing out how silly some people look when they criticize the best player on the team to the point where it makes him sound completely inept.  Some even double down on their arguments in a thread like this one.....which I guess illustrates my point so..... Yay Me?  Lol. 

ok that's fair. Some are over the top. Just remember back in the Superbowl years many wanted Kelly benched for Frank

1 hour ago, BobbyC81 said:

Yeah, he owns the mistakes and says he needs to do better, then does the same things the next game.  Like you said, he’s like Favre and we just have to accept it.  If the Bills can make the playoffs most seasons and win a Super Bowl like Favre did for GB, we should all be happy.

He owns mistakes that aren’t really on him a lot of the times. Some of those were not on him yesterday, but that’s who he is. The unit makes a fair amount of mistakes, they have a lot of issues and without Josh they’d be a lot less productive. Kid is a freak. 

4 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Chiefs and Spagnuolo also play a blitz heavy defense. I’m sure they’ll be looking at Dolphins tape if that’s the matchup in 2 weeks.

If they are looking to give up 30 - 50 points, then great.  Study that tape!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

That’s half this board!!! How dare you say anything that criticizes this team! You must be a zombie and follow what the majority says. All is well. All is well. 

4 hours ago, Airseven said:

Yup!

No more pretending he’s anything more than a top 3 QB in the league and generational talent that’s on pace to end up in Canton. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Allen absolutely made mistakes yesterday, Miami and the jets have ds that really frustrate our o.

Some of the comments on this thread hit home.  Miami went all out forcing deep passes to wrs, but they also did everything they could to prove Diggs.  Constant one on ones vs our lesser wrs.  That's our big issue on O. We have this monster QB and green lit offense, but base and brown were out of football when we took them on and now they get real burn.  We just have a massive hole when it comes to wr talent.

I saw a tweet showing Davis is more or less equivalent to kcs 4th wr, and that's without hill.

Honestly, we have all these top 3 and 4 round DL and LBs who ride the pine 65% of the game or more, but we have two old guys elevated from practice squad in our top 4 we rotation.

Imo we've just put a few too many eggs in one basket 

The other side, and this really is a positive when you think on it, we CAN run the ball.  W Allen and our two backs we are a Baltimore style multiple threat.  While you often have to take what the d gives you, you also have to put the foot down and dictate at times.  At the end of the game, we needed a first everyone on earth knew what play was coming and we did it.  We absolutely have to run the ball a bit more and with a touch more intelligence.

We pretty much need play action to get diggs out of double coverage, and Allen to diggs on play action is a scary scary sight.

5 hours ago, Airseven said:

Allen was only the best post season passer of all-time for TD to INT ratio going into yesterday. Show me another QB that puts up over 30 when he’s off.

I’ll wait for your answer.

Edited by Beast

4 hours ago, Airseven said:

Go twist, fish fan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, colin said:

Allen absolutely made mistakes yesterday, Miami and the jets have ds that really frustrate our o.

Some of the comments on this thread hit home.  Miami went all out forcing deep passes to wrs, but they also did everything they could to prove Diggs.  Constant one on ones vs our lesser wrs.  That's our big issue on O. We have this monster QB and green lit offense, but base and brown were out of football when we took them on and now they get real burn.  We just have a massive hole when it comes to wr talent.

I saw a tweet showing Davis is more or less equivalent to kcs 4th wr, and that's without hill.

Honestly, we have all these top 3 and 4 round DL and LBs who ride the pine 65% of the game or more, but we have two old guys elevated from practice squad in our top 4 we rotation.

The other side, and this really is a positive when you think on it, we CAN run the ball.  W Allen and our two backs we are a Baltimore style multiple threat.  While you often have to take what the d gives you, you also have to put the foot down and dictate at times.  At the end of the game, we needed a first everyone on earth knew what play was coming and we did it.  We absolutely have to run the ball a bit more and with a touch more intelligence.

We pretty much need play action to get diggs out of double coverage, and Allen to diggs on play action is a scary scary sight.

Davis played really well yesterday

• Like (+1) 1

First even though I am responding to this thread I am NOT a Josh Allen basher.  I think he is the best thing that has happened to this franchise ever.   However he took too many chances today and was singularly responsible for the dolphins being in the game.  We have seen josh try to do too much and today was one of those.  We have seen him be calm and make good decisions and that is the josh we need next week.  

i also give credit to the dolphins for bringing a high variance game plan that invited mistakes and it worked.  

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Davis played really well yesterday

Sure, he has good or great games from time to time.  It's still not enough.  Brown and bease (who I like and am happy to have) are the best we got behind him, but it's just doing the o a disservice.

A single additional decent NFL wr, perhaps one w a lil size and speed even, adds more to this team than what all the injuries have taken away.

Just now, colin said:

Sure, he has good or great games from time to time.  It's still not enough.  Brown and bease (who I like and am happy to have) are the best we got behind him, but it's just doing the o a disservice.

A single additional decent NFL wr, perhaps one w a lil size and speed even, adds more to this team than what all the injuries have taken away.

Let's hope Gabe is the playoff Gabe.  Regardless next week depends on Josh being the good Josh.

I am not bashing Josh but bashing the play calling and constant homer ball approach.   We are not mixing it up on offense, not trying tor un the ball and than call for long sideline passes with a slight lead in 4th quarter where a nice time consuming drive would be nice.   Got Diggs the ball early and than hardly any passes to him in second half.   Alot of low passes by Josh when under pressure.   Spencer brown is becoming a revolving door and has seemingly regressed this year.     Yes its fun getting the long strikes but would like to see some form of ball control drives again.

3 minutes ago, IndyMark said:

Are we sure Josh is still listening to Sinatra pre-game? If not, the Bills need to force this issue. 

PLAY. SINATRA. ON. LOOP. ONCE. ALLEN. ENTERS. THE. F#@$%ing BLDG.

It could be that simple.

I think as soon as he gets out of the car to go into the stadium his girlfriend needs to slap them right in the face because we all know Josh Allen gets going really gets going whenever he gets hit

I’m joking. Yes I’m joking.

I'm more concerned we ignored Cook and Singletary most of the game. No catches for either and seems like all patterns are deep...not enough crossing routes. Allen is fine...cement head plays once in a while but he's the reason we win

Edited by nucci

35 minutes ago, colin said:

We were doing that we can’t do it on every play

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

I'm more concerned we ignored Cook and Singletary most of the game. No catches for either and seems like all patterns are deep...not enough crossing routes. Allen is fine...cement head plays once in a while but he's the reason we win

Agreed. My frustration comes from not being persistent with the run. If it’s a two or 3 yard game our offensive coordinator can’t wait to get away from it sometimes you just got a spoon that in like molasses.

The pick to Brown was on Josh because that throw wasn't necessary. At that point in the game, we needed a long drive to eat clock, not a 50yd bomb. That's what frustrates me with Allen. There are so many ways to control a game, but we seem he'll bent on not mixing it up and playing the short game, despite being ahead by 2 TDs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

There needs to be balance to Josh Allen's play.  

It's possible for him to be extremely aggressive attacking downfield... but also have an element of patience and willingness to take some of the underneath stuff when it's left open.   It's possible for him to move around and escape defenders in the pocket... but also know when it's time to accept the play is dead, protect the ball and take the sack.  It doesn't necessarily have to be an "either/or" situation.

Right now, Allen's career trajectory is moving very similar to Brett Favre.

Favre had a big arm, with a gunslinger mentality.  Every Packer game was filled with highlights of incredible throws and jaw-dropping plays.  He was easily a Top 3 quarterback in the NFL for the majority of his career, and one of the game's premier faces.  The media adored him, and opponents feared him.  By his retirement, he had loaded up the stat books as the all-time touchdown leader.  First ballot Hall of Famer all the way.  

But from a TEAM perspective, the Packers were huge underachievers during Favre's career.  Over his 16 seasons in Green Bay, they won the division 7 times and made the playoffs 11 times.  Despite constantly being favorites to win the Lombardi, the team always seemed to get stuck in the playoffs... mostly because of Favre's erratic decision making and turnovers.  He particularly had trouble getting past the Dallas Cowboys (like us and the Chiefs).  Nobody can question Favre's toughness or greatness.  But the fact his team only made it to one Super Bowl (barely winning it), is definitely a huge disappointment.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The Dolphins defensive gameplan dictated that we throw the ball deep a lot. The problem is three deep throws bounced off the hands of Davis, Diggs, and Shakir, and on another one John Brown stopped running his route and it got picked. That's too many missed opportunities. We honestly should have scored like 50 points in this game and that's only because of Allen's arm talent.

The thing that bothers me is that at the time we are ahead and should be moving the chains and eating up the clock were throwing 40 yard bombs.

5 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

The pick to Brown was on Josh because that throw wasn't necessary. At that point in the game, we needed a long drive to eat clock, not a 50yd bomb. That's what frustrates me with Allen. There are so many ways to control a game, but we seem he'll bent on not mixing it up and playing the short game, despite being ahead by 2 TDs.

And there were guys open short and intermediate. Like if Brown is the only option there I don't mind the bomb and it wasn't a terrible throw... Brown didn't finish his route... but I do think it was the wrong choice. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.