Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

7 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

He means making up a rule after the results are in.  You shouldn't do that, and certainly not an enterprise with as much money at stake as the NFL.

And if all 3 of these teams win, the game is too important to not consider playing. Obviously, don't force tye Bills and Bengals to play but give them the option at least 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Win percentage? How about uniform color? While I understand the principle….win percentage is not a tie breaker in the NFL. 

Correct, it is not.  It should have been though.  And now the league will be making up some kind of rule.  

The ideas of some type of stand alone game are so flawed that I find it hard for people to even consider them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Einstein's Dog said:

Correct, it is not.  It should have been though.  And now the league will be making up some kind of rule.  

The ideas of some type of stand alone game are so flawed that I find it hard for people to even consider them.

On that I agree. However the only rules in place now would either be to finish the game or go by the standings as they are after this Sunday. I’m pretty confident that the league has decided to wait and see what happens before they intercede and I’m also sure they’ve already told all the teams just that. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

And if all 3 of these teams win, the game is too important to not consider playing. Obviously, don't force tye Bills and Bengals to play but give them the option at least 

Give them the option?  And what if the Bills don't want to do it, do they forfeit then?  

Because not many would want to travel to Cincy play a morbid game at the scene where Damar was put on life support.  And the loser of that game is at a disadvantage to the lower seeded teams who get a bye.  

If the Bills are forfeiting the game to Cincy do it before they play NE.  So at least then they know they are probably the 3 seed and can rest players accordingly.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

The NFL's best option is to wait until Sunday and then decide. All 3 games KC vs Raiders, Patriots vs Bills and Ravens vs Bengals will all be done by 4:25 Sunday which gives the league plenty of time before the Sunday night game to make any last minute changes to the playoffs since the matchups will have to be done by the end of the SNF game. If the Chiefs, Bills and Bengals all win, then I think playing the Bills vs Bengals game becomes a must and will happen. There is too much on the line at that point to be a no contest or a coin flip. The other thing to look at is, both the Bills and Bengals beat the Chiefs this year so rewarding the Chiefs with the one seed without playing the game is insane 

But you see the problem with scheduling a makeup Bills-Bengals game, right? Either they need to play two times in a week or, if the playoffs get pushed back and they play in the off week, all playoff teams get a bye and they don't. Either way, they're punished. 

Since no solution is perfectly fair to the Bills, Bengals and Chiefs, why not eliminate their relative seeding altogether? If they meet, have them play in a neutral stadium. Determine their other opponents by coin flip. No bye for anyone; eliminate the third wild card. (Sorry, Fish.) KC might squawk that they won the most games, but they lost to both the Bills and Bengals, so that doesn't fly. The league has the same number of playoff games, so they shouldn't care. Minimum disruption, maximum fairness. 

8 minutes ago, finn said:

But you see the problem with scheduling a makeup Bills-Bengals game, right? Either they need to play two times in a week or, if the playoffs get pushed back and they play in the off week, all playoff teams get a bye and they don't. Either way, they're punished. 

Since no solution is perfectly fair to the Bills, Bengals and Chiefs, why not eliminate their relative seeding altogether? If they meet, have them play in a neutral stadium. Determine their other opponents by coin flip. No bye for anyone; eliminate the third wild card. (Sorry, Fish.) KC might squawk that they won the most games, but they lost to both the Bills and Bengals, so that doesn't fly. The league has the same number of playoff games, so they shouldn't care. Minimum disruption, maximum fairness. 

Yes, but it's still the fairest option involved. The Bills and Bengals have fought like hell this season, especially the Bills with more adversity than I can remember, to not have a chance at the goal they have been fighting for all season. If we play the Bengals game and lose, then it is what it is. But the Bengals deserve that chance to and canceling a game or a coin flip or whatever other options are just not worthy enough in this case

14 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Give them the option?  And what if the Bills don't want to do it, do they forfeit then?  

Because not many would want to travel to Cincy play a morbid game at the scene where Damar was put on life support.  And the loser of that game is at a disadvantage to the lower seeded teams who get a bye.  

If the Bills are forfeiting the game to Cincy do it before they play NE.  So at least then they know they are probably the 3 seed and can rest players accordingly.

If all 3 teams win and the NFL Contacts the Bills and Bengals and says, "are you comfortable playing this game?" And give them the option, I see nothing wrong with that. If both teams or even one says no, then proceed with whatever other way makes the most sense. But don't make that decision without seeing how things play out and giving the teams the options of what they wanna do

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Now that there is some promising news for Hamlin I feel better about posting this.   New rumor is not to replay game and to have a neutral site AFCCG.  That makes waaaay too much sense.  This is something I think everyone could get behind. 

Preferably played in a dome!!  🤣 

🎯 

Edited by NewEra
  • Haha (+1) 2

If both the Bills and Chiefs win this coming week, both teams would end the regular season with 3 losses.  The Bills beat the chiefs, so hold the tie breaker, but the chiefs have a better winning  %.  So, I propose they are named co-champions of the AFC.  One team could be awarded the homefield advantage and the other team could be given the first round bye. So, neither team is totally screwed.  Probably won't happen , but I  could be satisfied. 

Just now, colin said:

if the chip game is neutral, why would the one seed ever pick the home field vs the bye?  

It's an either/or scenario...either the AFCCG is at a neutral site OR the #1 seed chooses bye or homefield.

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Bills have not earned that. 

To me, this is not acceptable. 

The NFL did the right thing by suspending the game. 

But that doesn't mean the Bills are entitled to neutral AFCCG games, and not playing the Patriots this weekend if they don't want to and so forth. 

So they should be punished then?

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

But that doesn't mean the Bills are entitled to neutral AFCCG games, and not playing the Patriots this weekend if they don't want to and so forth. 

And the Chiefs, who lost to both the Bills and Bengals, deserve it because a Bills player died on the field and had to be revived? Nobody wanted this. I personally think the best solution is give Chiefs 1 seed and have neutral site championship game 

Edited by KDIGGZ
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

If the Bills haven't played all of their games and could win the #1 seed, then KC did n't earn Home Field advantage either. 

It's a reasonable solution. 

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well, they had a real good chance at having the AFCCG at home rather than a neutral site

3 minutes ago, Seventeen said:

Like the neutral site idea for the AFCC game but the BIlls might still have to return to Cinci for the divisional game if they get the #3 seed.

Not a huge fan of the neutral site idea, but would be very intriguing I guess.  I prefer splitting the 1 seed benefits

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I vote for Detroit as the neutral site - our second home

Tennessee.  Lots of Bills fans 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

10 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

No one has earned anything. Certainly not the chiefs, who lost to both teams. 

Wgr was throwing around ideas to determine the #1 seed, mostly for fun. One was to use the CFB playoff format where the teams push their resumes to the middle of the table and a committee decides based on body of work. In that case, Bills have best resume of all 3 teams, if they all win this weekend. Chiefs lost to both AND have the worst loss (colts). Bengals have worse overall record. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

If amything I feel bad for the Bengals if that is the solution because they won't control their destiny for the #2 seed. But any solution would be unfair to at least one team so it is what it is.

If it's Bills vs Bengals in divisional round that should be neutral site too imo. We definitely don't want to go back there and we didn't earn the home field over them either

Edited by KDIGGZ
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/2/2023 at 10:09 PM, Einstein said:

My guess (and it’s literally just a guess) is they cancel the game completely and decide seeding by win %. Bills get 2nd seed.

Yes.  Bills get 2 seed but play AFCCG on neutral site so cheifs aren't getting advantage for unfortunate events. 

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

If it's Bills vs Bengals in divisional round that should be neutral site too imo. We definitely don't want to go back there and we didn't earn the home field over them either

Agree

An

4 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

And the Chiefs, who lost to both the Bills and Bengals, deserve it because a Bills player died on the field and had to be revived? Nobody wanted this. I personally think the best solution is give Chiefs 1 seed and have neutral site championship game 

It bothers me to give the Chiefs the first seed bye despite being beaten by two teams who wouldn't be given a chance for the top seed. Solve the bye problem and I'm on board. I posted a solution: eliminate the last wild card and have all surviving teams play in the first round. 

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If amything I feel bad for the Bengals if that is the solution because they won't control their destiny for the #2 seed. But any solution would be unfair to at least one team so it is what it is.

Maybe they do neutral site between us and them if that happens too. 

13 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

But neither have chiefs or Bengals.  We don't know how that game would gave played out. 

2 minutes ago, finn said:

An

It bothers me to give the Chiefs the first seed bye despite being beaten by two teams who wouldn't be given a chance for the top seed. Solve the bye problem and I'm on board. I posted a solution: eliminate the last wild card and have all surviving teams play in the first round. 

That would be interesting too but would be hard on 7th seed that fought for that all year.  Neutral site only impact the 3 top teams really which are the ones impacted so its easy. 

3 minutes ago, finn said:

An

That wouldn't be fair to the last wildcard team. Even though they have nearly 0% chance of going to the super bowl, that was us a few years ago and we were just happy to be there with an opportunity to play more football 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.