Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If the Bills play Thursday and then Monday,  the league could consider giving the 2 seed a bye and allowing an 8th team into AFC playoffs 

What does that accomplish though?  If Buffalo and Cinci end up as the 2 and 3, then one team gets a bye and the other doesn't?  And now add another playoff team for the AFC but not the NFC?  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

You're working too hard to make it seems like you're just channeling Damar's wishes. It's speculation to think that the team is able to rally and play, let alone want to (and for a specific reason). 

I believe that there are times in competitive sports where playing for someone else, is enough to rally and want to play and play well

• Agree 1

Ryan Clark said it best:  if you make these teams play tomorrow (or any time this week), you're gonna get a trash football game.  And it'll be one in which more players are likely to get hurt, if not now then next week on short rest.  If the league really cares about player safety, they should be talking about canceling games, not getting a game in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, Caesar said:

This is a logistics nightmare.   Cancelling the game altogether with no winner impacts so many teams.  If the game isn't replayed I guess Im for the final score being what it was when the game was suspended.... but Im a Bengals fan and this might not be the most popular idea here.

I don't see this as likely when the NFL has an extra week between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. Just cancel the Pro Bowl, move everything back a week and work with the facilities if there are conflicting events. Bills/Bengals weekend of 1/16.

Edited by Roy Hobbs

I checked the Bengals and KC forums to see what they are proposing. I'd say half of the Bengals fans are ok with a tie or no contest and half want a win because Bengals were winning or going to win so they shouldn't be penalized. I'd say the majority of KC fans don't care as long as they are the #1 seed. They lost to both teams and think they deserve the 1 seed? Stay classy KC

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I don't understand the fixation you have with "Demar would want them to play" as A.) you dont know that, B.) It doesnt matter if he does or doesnt (which he clearly cant comprehend or care about right now or ever.

It's not like the NFL and Roger are basing the decision on if the injured player wants them to play or not....cmon.

The NFL and Roger won’t base it on that- they barely know him. The Bills players and coaches decision will absolutely be based on that and their thoughts and feelings about it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, cle23 said:

What does that accomplish though?  If Buffalo and Cinci end up as the 2 and 3, then one team gets a bye and the other doesn't?  And now add another playoff team for the AFC but not the NFC?  

Who cares about the NFC?  This should be about ensuring the fairest possible outcome to the most possible teams.  The NFC doesn't have an inequity issue with their playoff process.

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If the Bills play Thursday and then Monday,  the league could consider giving the 2 seed a bye and allowing an 8th team into AFC playoffs 

Seen a lot of this thought, too.  But, here's the thing:  You'd have 3 games (6 teams) playing on WC Weekend.  Of that, there would be 3 winners.  Add in the two bye teams and you have 5 teams.

Some team would then have to have another bye, cause you can't have a game with one or three teams.

I don't see how adding a team and a bye is a solution.

Edited by BLeonard

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

I checked the Bengals and KC forums to see what they are proposing. I'd say half of the Bengals fans are ok with a tie or no contest and half want a win because Bengals were winning or going to win so they shouldn't be penalized. I'd say the majority of KC fans don't care as long as they are the #1 seed. They lost to both teams and think they deserve the 1 seed? Stay classy KC

Completely expected.  And add to that that KC barely played anyone else all year (and played all of their games in nice weather).  The two games they played against stiff competition, they got rolled.  But they want the 1 seed as a reward?  Feels legit.

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Just stop.  there is no way the league would ever add/subtract a team into the playoff mix this late in the game.  Since there is a one week bye before the SB, just eliminate that "week off" and push the playoffs one week to the right.  The Bills/Bengals game could be played during the first originally scheduled week of the playoffs.  No matter what the NFL decides to do, it will leave a lot of people unhappy.  The commish has the absolute biggest decision to make of his life.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, ProcessYaDigg said:

Just stop.  there is no way the league would ever add/subtract a team into the playoff mix this late in the game.  Since there is a one week bye before the SB, just eliminate that "week off" and push the playoffs one week to the right.  The Bills/Bengals game could be played during the first originally scheduled week of the playoffs.  No matter what the NFL decides to do, it will leave a lot of people unhappy.  The commish has the absolute biggest decision to make of his life.

They won't do this.  Too many things are scheduled for the two-week window before the Super Bowl.

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I does that math work? 6 teams play the wildcard. 3 teams advance to the divisional to meet 2 other teams. There is then 5 teams playing in the AFC?

1 minute ago, BRH said:

Who cares about the NFC?  This should be about ensuring the fairest possible outcome to the most possible teams.  The NFC doesn't have an inequity issue with their playoff process.

I understand, but like I said, that really doesn't accomplish anything.  It would give one team of Cinci and Buffalo a bye, and the other one would probably go without.  I think if anything, the playoffs will be delayed in their entirety to give Cinci and Buffalo a chance to finish the game.  Still not perfect, but there are way too many other moving parts to do things otherwise.  Otherwise there could be tons of teams not involved that would get directly punished by this situation.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Wouldn't work anyway.  Giving two teams a bye means 6 teams play each other, producing 3 winners.  That means 5 teams in the divisional round.  You'd have another team getting a bye somehow.

• Like (+1) 1

I am just a dumb Bengals fan but why do so many here believe that the Bills forfeiting the game would be in respect to Hamlin?  The guy is a baller, I cannot imagine in any way he would want the team to forfeit for any reason, much less because of him? 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

No way the NFL allows that 

But is it truly the NFL’s call?  … All teams have the option to forfeit. It would show enormous solidarity around the League and make everyone look like their priorities were in the proper order. The NFL would come out shining like a rose, and all revenue lost from this would quickly be recouped. 

it would also allow the Bills and Bengals the time to heal and regroup while they await Hamlin’s health status. It would be a humane thing to do. 

7 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

I don't see this as likely when the NFL has an extra week between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. Just cancel the Pro Bowl, move everything back a week and work with the facilities if there are conflicting events. Bills/Bengals weekend of 1/16.

Doesnt this give ALL the other teams a bye before playing either one of us?

1 minute ago, Caesar said:

I am just a dumb Bengals fan but why do so many here believe that the Bills forfeiting the game would be in respect to Hamlin?  The guy is a baller, I cannot imagine in any way he would want the team to forfeit for any reason, much less because of him? 

I agree with you.  But more than that, I don't think the league or the team should be making decisions based on what he would want.  That's, quite honestly, a copout.  Find the fairest and most logical feasible solution, and defend it.  None of this "he would have wanted it this way" stuff.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I am channeling nothing and I don’t know the man. That the Bills players and coaches decision would have everything to do with it is hardly trying at all. Of course it is all speculation as none of us know anything. Just who is trying too hard here? 

I was both quoting and responding to someone else. I'll let you answer your question. 

27 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

The Bills refusing to play and forfeiting the game(taking a loss) would be a really bad look for the NFL.  I am positive the league will come up with a solution to avoid a “forfeit”. 

And playing a game against the players wishes isn't a bad look?

• Like (+1) 1

Question for the playoffs what is the most important thing to get to the super bowl? Is it home field? Is it a healthy roster? Is it something else?

I happen to believe it's a healthy roster - having to play 3 games in 10 to 12 days doesn't lead to a healthy roster 

Edited by Cheektowaga Chad
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don't think any of these elaborate schemes will happen.  Nothing is entirely fair or perfect.  So I believe they will simply call the game a no contest, play the week 18 games. and the seeding will be what it is based on record with Bengals and bills with a 16 game schedule.

If all three hold serve, KC #1 seed, Bills #2 and Bengals #3.  Could change if some win and some lose. Not perfect, but as good as anything else suggested and it has simplicity, which is a huge plus.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Caesar said:

You don't understand why the Bills players might not want to play the game while they don't know Damar's status?

18 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I dont want to go too far down this rabbit hole for obv reasons... but how extra insane does that make Raiders look for benching Carr, if theres an extra team. Couldve won Sunday already, add this and seems theyre best fit for that extra wildcard

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And playing a game against the players wishes isn't a bad look?

My point is if the Bills made it clear to the NFL that the players don’t want to play this game again on short notice, the NFL will come up with a solution other than, “you don’t play, you forfeit game”.

• Agree 2

I don't think the NFL would rule the Bills game vs the Bengals a forfeit, I believe the game, if not played will be ruled a no contest. 

I do believe the Bills wouldn't play the Patriots in the unfortunate case that Hamlin has a bad outcome and that would lead to a forfeit. 

9 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Question for the playoffs what is the most important thing to get to the super bowl? Is it home field? Is it a healthy roster? Is it something else?

I happen to believe it's a healthy roster - having to play 3 games in 10 to 12 days doesn't lead to a healthy roster 

Totally agree w/ this.  I don't want to see this Cincy/Bills game played at this point.  Either an L, or a tie, or whatever - but just play the final week and figure out how to seed based on percentages or something.

I'd much rather the Bills not have a bye than try to squeeze in 2 regular season games now....

Edited by Success
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I dont want to go too far down this rabbit hole for obv reasons... but how extra insane does that make Raiders look for benching Carr, if theres an extra team. Couldve won Sunday already, add this and seems theyre best fit for that extra wildcard

Wouldn't work anyway.  2 byes and 6 tams playing three games gives you 5 teams remaining at the end of the first weekend.

Dunno how you go from 5 teams to two for the AFC Championship the following week.

2 minutes ago, Punch said:

You don't understand why the Bills players might not want to play the game while they don't know Damar's status?

That is not what I said.  If the Bills players do not want to play that is a totally different scenario.  My question is to those on this board suggesting the Bills forfeiting the game would be out of respect to Hamlin.

1 minute ago, Caesar said:

That is not what I said.  If the Bills players do not want to play that is a totally different scenario.  My question is to those on this board suggesting the Bills forfeiting the game would be out of respect to Hamlin.

I see, I don't think that would be the reason if they don't play but I missed those suggestions being made.

• Like (+1) 1

No solution is a good one in this scenario.  But there are certain things that can't happen no matter what they decide to do:

1.  The Bills and Bengals can't be hurt by what happened on the field last night in the standings.

2.  The Chiefs can't be rewarded because of what happened on the field last night (especially since they have already lost to both teams head to head).

3.  Using a coin toss in a multi-billion dollar industry doesn't seem like a great idea.

4.  The entire football season can't be adjusted (In terms of scheduling dates anyway.  Too many logistical nightmares)

So, here's the thing.  The NFL knows that this was a prime game and they want as many eyes on the product as possible.  So, if they just eliminate it all together, they would be losing that matchup.  So, what does the NFL do here?  How do they get those eyeballs back and maximize revenue since that is all they care about anyway? 

My proposal is that this game not be made up.  Pretend it never happened.  In this solution, yes, the NFL would be losing that prime matchup that everyone wanted to see.  So, how do they compensate for this loss?  They add more playoff games!  Make the decision now how many teams would get byes.....2 or 3 in both Conferences and then adjust from there how many additional teams get in at the bottom of both the AFC and NFC and do a sort of supersized Playoff.  This way nobody at the top gets hurt and the Chiefs just don't get a free advantage over 2 teams that have already beaten them head to head.  The only teams that benefit are the ones currently out of the Playoffs that might get a new life heading into the last week of the season.

Yes, in this case the NFL loses out on one very meaningful game, but can potentially add 2-4 more depending on how many teams they want to give a bye to or add into the mix.   Not only that, but suddenly a lot more games have more meaning in Week 18 that, as of yesterday, didn't mean anything.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Doesnt this give ALL the other teams a bye before playing either one of us?

In effect yes, but given the special circumstances I don't see a lot of choices. If the Bills or Bengals end up with the #1 seed, they would get the next week off. 

So schedule wise ... 

Bills-Bengals - Jan 14-15 (resume game where it left off)

Wild card - Jan 21-22

Divisional - Jan 28-29

Conference champs - Feb 4-5

Super Bowl - Feb 12

Pushing games back with playoffs around the corner is a logistical nightmare for pretty much everyone involved...hotel rentals, car rentals, etc. 

Could they do it?  Sure.  

I'm leaning on this game be completed in the next 48hrs, with the Bills and the Bengals having the option to proceed or forfeit. 

The interesting thing for me is if both clubs decide to forfeit, is it considered a draw? 

The easiest thing to do, which is also the right thing to do (probably), is to not make these players attempt to restart the game. I agree with many a no contest seems the best path forward. Gross to award the chiefs the top seed considering they lost to both of these teams and had a cake schedule, but it’s the least disruptive option. It would be worse to push them into restarting the game. Changing playoff schedule effects too much.

I don't think most people are going to agree on what the NFL should do.  I personally don't think they will make up the game and I don't think either the Bills or Bengals are going to care too much about that.  Their already in the playoffs.  NFL should probably just do away with any teams getting a bye. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.