Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

6 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

That 10% survival is incredibly misleading because of the delay of medical attention and AED equipment in most cases.  Hamlin has immediate professional care and an AED on hand. Survival rate far different if I recall survival for him is around 58% but don't quote me on it. 

How do you know that in the other 90% of the cases there was a delay of medical attention and AED in those cases?

image.png.f92a2d00f94feeca8ebd643e355bbb40.png

19 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I guess I’ll ask.

Who is Lori Chase and does she have medical credentials? Sorry for being ignorant but I have no idea who she is. I take she is saying Damar has a 10% chance of surviving this?

Edited by Beast

4 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

I doubt VERY much that the youth sports players that died from Commotio Cordis in that study had NFL-game ready support systems (especially doctors and AED's) at their venues.

you doubt VERY much, but yet didn't even care to read...

To better characterize the clinical profile of this syndrome we have now assembled 69 well-characterized cases, including 34 occurring during organized competitive athletics

Seven of the 69 commotio cordis victim’s (10%) survived their cardiac arrest; in 5 of these 7 survivors cardiopulmonary resuscitation by bystanders was particularly prompt (² 1 minute).

3 minutes ago, arcane said:

Amazing. But go home and get some rest, Tee. 

I can't even imagine what he is going through...

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, wppete said:

The power of prayer 🙏 is real. All the prayers are making a difference. It’s incredible to see how many believe, it is great. Get well soon Damar 🙏 Everyone loves you. 

I am a believer and will always profess that Jesus is my Lord & Savior. Prayer works and I continue to pray!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

How do you know that in the other 90% of the cases there was a delay of medical attention and AED in those cases?

image.png.f92a2d00f94feeca8ebd643e355bbb40.png

Because little league games and other youth events don't have a team of physicians on hand and there has been a very popular movement the past 10+ years to get AEDs placed at parks and more areas due to deaths that have occurred. My previous workplace actually installed one and volunteered was selectedto be trained and certified with it. 

I'm not saying in 90% of the other cases there was no equipment and personnel, however, there commonly is not and that's why the movements for heart healthy communities exist. Let alone the teams and trauma procedures on hand at NFL have just are flat out not there for other events/games and understandably so. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

I guess I’ll ask.

Who is Lori Chase and does she have medical credentials? Sorry for being ignorant but I have no idea who she is. I take she is saying Damar has a 10% chance of surviving this?

Look because I post something, doesn't mean I am doing all the homework for everyone - click the link and read the abstract...

https://nocsae.org/research-grant-program/research-grants-by-year/the-national-commotio-cordis-registry/

It also doesn't make me an expert or that I am attempting to push any narrative...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

I guess I’ll ask.

No, she specifically mentions a study on youth sports where 7 of 69 survived. Most of those kids likely didn't get the immediate attention that Damar did. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

No, she specifically mentions a study on youth sports where 7 of 69 survived. Most of those kids likely didn't get the immediate attention that Damar did. 

Which is why they need heaps of easily accessible defibs around

Just now, Roy Hobbs said:

That’s what I gathered but wanted to know who this woman is and why a study about kids and their survivability rate has anything to do with Hamlin and his situation? Not only are children different than adults but Hamlin is a world class athlete that had world class medical attention rendered immediately.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

That 10% survival is incredibly misleading because of the delay of medical attention and AED equipment in most cases.  Hamlin has immediate professional care and an AED on hand. Survival rate far different if I recall survival for him is around 58% but don't quote me on it. 

and then add cpr started within seconds, and a world class athlete that it well tuned to exchange oxygen extremely efficiently…

I’m really hopeful 

2 hours ago, Silvercrw said:

I have been a board member since 1996-97 and injury to Hamlin as truly shook me. I am also am a Youtuber/filmmaker with multiple channels and I could not, not make this video. I also spoke about this board and inserted a message from one of you. Hope you guys like it.I Can't BELIEVE This HAPPENED | Damar Hamlin

Great video man.  What is that outro song?

20 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

It’s been a minute for me, but not thaaaat long. AED’s have always been at all of my events. I think they have to be within something like 300m. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Wild said:

Lost in the shuffle. What does this mean from a medical person?

I'm not a medical person but I know that's something they started doing during the initial COVID outbreak to help make it easier for them to breathe while on a vent.

16 minutes ago, Beast said:

I guess I’ll ask.

Is she the Lori that used to frequent here before being scared/annoyed off?  She was some sort of like small town journalist wasn't she?

1 minute ago, ArtVandalay said:

Because little league games and other youth events don't have a team of physicians on hand and there has been a very popular movement the past 10+ years to get AEDs placed at parks and more areas due to deaths that have occurred. My previous workplace actually installed one and volunteered was selectedto be trained and certified with it. 

I'm not saying in 90% of the other cases there was no equipment and personnel, however, there commonly is not and that's why the movements for heart healthy communities exist. Let alone the teams and trauma procedures on hand at NFL have just are flat out not there for other events/games and understandably so. 

Your assumption is that "That 10% survival is incredibly misleading because of the delay of medical attention and AED equipment in most cases".

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but to make a statement like that, should insinuate that you looked at those 34 organized competitive events to back up the statement that you tossed out there:

Stats are stats and depending on how you want to look at them - can paint a different picture. The facts are:

1.) "To better characterize the clinical profile of this syndrome we have now assembled 69 well-characterized cases, including 34 occurring during organized competitive athletics"

2.) In the study of the 69 well-characterized cases, only 7 of the 69 survived, that is a fact.

3.) It is also a fact that 5 of the 7 survivors cardiopulmonary resuscitation by bystanders was particularly prompt (² 1 minute).

Now to what we don't know -

1.) How many minutes before they started?

2.) How many minutes of actual resuscitation occurred?

3.) We also have to factor in that he had to be resuscitated a second time at the hospital how frequently did this occur?

I suppose your assumptions could be answered further in the study itself and can be presented as facts, but without looking for the full study and to dissect the entire paper, they are assumptions that are not factually suppported

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

12 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Ages ranged from 1 to 38 (mean 12) with 70% < 16 years old

not all were kids...

She retweeted it from Dan Kaplan who is a writer for The Athletic, who is followed by every Farrar, Rappaport, Jim Nagy, Dr. Chao, Amy Trask, Joe Banner, Breer, Pete Prisco, Shcefter, Peter King, Rich Eisen etc... and added the part of the study that showed the mortality rate of the 69 people included in the study

1 hour ago, AlfaBill said:

What? Fake CPR? I’ve never heard that before. That’s insane if true. I’ve learned how to do chest compression and yes it can break ribs etc but still can save a life. A friend of mine suffered a heart attack just last month. He’s 49 and suffered several dislocated ribs but he’s alive. 

I've never heard of that either, and I spent several years working in the ER of a major trauma center and have two nurse relatives who spent decades working at nursing homes and in hospice.

If the patient/family want CPR, you do it and do your best.  You don't make a judgement about "who won't survive" and decided to "fake it" and go through the motions.

Good grief.

• Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Look because I post something, doesn't mean I am doing all the homework for everyone - click the link and read the abstract...

https://nocsae.org/research-grant-program/research-grants-by-year/the-national-commotio-cordis-registry/

It also doesn't make me an expert or that I am attempting to push any narrative...

You're quoting old information from 97-98. Much has changed in 25 years. 

Here is the updated 58% figure i stated before that i recalled. The increase of AED devices has been a key contribution.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1547527112012544

• Like (+1) 2

Blew a 3-1 lead and then had to tie it at 4 with about 8 mins to go in the third but you could see they were playing their asses off for something more than themselves tonight...

Tage was unstoppable with a hat trick including the OT winner...

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

Tomlin is a great person by all accounts. I was listening to a former play - didn’t catch the name - and they said back in their playing days he BEGGED Tomlin to let him play after an injury. Even brought in doctors and so forth to convince Tomlin. After a bit, he kicked everyone out of the room except the player and told him “if you were my child, I wouldn’t let you play” and that was that. He cares about his players.

That was Ryan Clark - after he almost died from "splenic infarction that required the removal of his spleen and gallbladder"  The most interesting part when he relayed the story last night was he said after all the prep and bringing his people with him and readiness/willingness to fight to play, it was actually a relief when Tomlin shut it down.  He realized then he needed someone like Tomlin who wasn't so emotionally close to it to look out for his welfare and make the right decision for him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wyobills89 said:

prayers to Damar. My dad severed his aorta valve in a vehicle wreck, flighted to denver and they did surgery and repaired it but he went too long with out oxygen to the brain and had no brain activity. we as a family had to make the dicision to take him off life support. i truly hope that having medics right there and performing life saving cpr and defib and oxygen that he will come out of this.  prayers #3. i just hope he didnt suffer anything in his brain.

I'm sorry.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Your assumption is that "That 10% survival is incredibly misleading because of the delay of medical attention and AED equipment in most cases".

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but to make a statement like that, should insinuate that you looked at those 34 organized competitive events to back up the statement that you tossed out there:

Stats are stats and depending on how you want to look at them - can paint a different picture. The facts are:

1.) "To better characterize the clinical profile of this syndrome we have now assembled 69 well-characterized cases, including 34 occurring during organized competitive athletics"

2.) In the study of the 69 well-characterized cases, only 7 of the 69 survived, that is a fact.

3.) It is also a fact that 5 of the 7 survivors cardiopulmonary resuscitation by bystanders was particularly prompt (² 1 minute).

Now to what we don't know -

1.) How many minutes before they started?

2.) How many minutes of actual resuscitation occurred?

3.) We also have to factor in that he had to be resuscitated a second time at the hospital how frequently did this occur?

I suppose your assumptions could be answered further in the study itself and can be presented as facts, but without looking for the full study and to dissect the entire paper, they are assumptions that are not factually suppported

See updated info above, your article is out of date. 

20 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

What’s the survival rate of patients that survived the initial cardiac arrest and made it to the hospital would be my question.  Could be wishful thinking but I’d expect demar’s chances to be much better than that currently 

Without looking into all of those 69 cases - who knows? The second resuscitation at the hospital is very worrisome along with how much time did his brain go without oxygen

14 minutes ago, Mango said:

It’s been a minute for me, but not thaaaat long. AED’s have always been at all of my events. I think they have to be within something like 300m. 

I know and the article that was quoted was from 97-98. Old info.  I posted the updated, measures like AED installs have increased survival to 58% 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

You're quoting old information from 97-98. Much has changed in 25 years. 

Here is the updated 58% figure i stated before that i recalled. The increase of AED devices has been a key contribution.

From the above literature you posted:

Higher survival rates were associated with more prompt resuscitation (40%<3 minutes vs 5%>3 minutes; P<.001)

If it took longer than 3 minutes to resuscitate, the survival rate is 5 percent.

1 minute ago, ArtVandalay said:

See updated info above, your article is out of date. 

WTF it is not my article, just because I post a tweet does not make everything contained with in it mine. I am not the defender of the tweet (I didn't tweet it or find the information in the first place), the only thing I am defending on here, if you will, is people running with an assumption that isn't even in the post.  I mean if you are going to comment on something at least read it and be factual with it...FFS

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.