Josh Allen: a thread of gratitude

Success

2 hours ago, Success said:

I'm not sure if any other fanbase has had to endure so much bad QB play over such a long stretch - maybe Cleveland.  

Agree with your article, except for the above. Soooo many teams have never had a great QB on their roster.  Think Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Cardinals, Rams (maybe) and Falcons.  And most will never see guys as good as Brady, Manning, Mahomes, Josh, Herbert & Burrow. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

lol I know that....the OP said he wouldnt trade allen for mahomes which is a ludicrous statement.

It's not ludicrous. Mahomes is probably more consistent of a player, but they are very close in talent level. Mahomes has for sure done more in the league, including winning a Superbowl and an MVP. So he has that going for him.

And then there is stuff like leadership, likeability, temperament, competitiveness, etc. I like Josh Allen more than Mahomes in all those areas. And that is part of why Allen is so endearing to Bills fans. They like him as a person, as a leader, etc. That's why we wouldn't trade him for Mahomes.

If it was reversed and KC had Allen, I'm sure they'd feel the same and Bills fans would similarly not want to trade Mahomes. Each fanbase likes their guy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Can’t say that I am surprised to see how many negative reactions to an obviously genuine post.

I for one am right there with you man. My first game was in 1980, I have seen enough to know how blessed we are to live in this time. The Josh Allen era will, IMO end up the best ever the franchise has seen since it’s inception.

Thank you Josh, we are all here supporting every move you make! 

Go Bills !! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Even if Mahomes was better than Allen, I could never listen to that grating, horrible, kermit voiced cadence before every play.  I want to drill my eardrums out every time I hear him get ready for a snap.  Does this annoy anyone else?

not nearly as much as those stupid state farm commercials. 

Man, ***** Mahomes.  This thread feels like every nationally-televised Bills game where Romo or Collinsworth or whoever has to mention Mahomes' name every time Josh does something good.  This isn't about him at all.  It's about how lucky we are to have THIS quarterback.

Like the OP, I lived through the Kelly years.  I also lived through quite a few years before that.  And when Kelly was our QB and the idiots were coming out of the woodwork to say stupid crap like Reich should start or whatever, my response was always the same:  you have NO idea what we have and you're only going to realize it when he's gone.  So enjoy it now.  And Marino and Montana and Elway can ***** right the ***** off.

We're lucky enough to have been blessed with another great one.  Let's just enjoy this ride.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

This is true of every player to ever play the game, including Brady, the GOAT.

Correction: Otto Graham went to the championship every year he was in the league and won 7/10.

This is used as a slight against Allen but not Mahomes. Granted Mahomes won a super bowl, but his playoff failures are held up as an accomplishment while Allen's are held up as failures.

If Allen scored 0 tds in a Super Bowl and blew a 3 score lead against the Bengals, you'd be at his throat. It all comes down to the one super bowl that realistically, San Francisco should have won.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

I get the original post.  Choosing either over the other isn’t ludicrous.  I would like to see a poll of NFL GMs.  One game, who do you pick?  I think it’s something like 24 to 8, Mahomes.  Now, take away Reid and McDermott, it’s closer to 20 to 12.   No slight to anyone.  Josh is my guy.  He’s “Buffalo.”

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

This is used as a slight against Allen but not Mahomes. Granted Mahomes won a super bowl, but his playoff failures are held up as an accomplishment while Allen's are held up as failures.

If Allen scored 0 tds in a Super Bowl and blew a 3 score lead against the Bengals, you'd be at his throat. It all comes down to the one super bowl that realistically, San Francisco should have won.

It's not a slight. It's a simple collection of undebateable facts. Mahomes has reached heights Allen has not and has done so at an extremely consistent level.

I'm not interested in theoretical arguments about who should have won games - that's not the way competition works. Winning matters and it's usually not luck at the highest levels. The fact that Mahomes has taken his team to that level every year should cement that point. If he retired today he'd be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

• Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's not a slight. It's a simple collection of undebateable facts. Mahomes has reached heights Allen has not and has done so at an extremely consistent level.

I'm not interested in theoretical arguments about who should have won games - that's not the way competition works. Winning matters and it's usually not luck at the highest levels. The fact that Mahomes has taken his team to that level every year should cement that point. If he retired today he'd be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

You are shifting the argument now to whether or not Mahomes is a good qb. That isn't the argument, no one is arguing that. 

The argument is that it is a team sport. Our defense let Josh Allen down last January. And yet you pin that on Allen because Mahomes won?

Also, Jim Kelly took the Bills to 4 straight Super Bowls and yet most people wouldn't rate him above Dan Marino. That isn't the greatest metric.

Edited by What a Tuel

3 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

You are shifting the argument now to whether or not Mahomes is a good qb. That isn't the argument, no one is arguing that. 

The argument is that it is a team sport. Our defense let Josh Allen down last January. And yet you pin that on Allen because Mahomes won?

Also, Jim Kelly took the Bills to 4 straight Super Bowls and yet most people wouldn't rate him above Dan Marino. That isn't the greatest metric.

No, I'm not. I'm laser focused on the fact that he is a superior QB to Josh Allen at this point in his career and it isn't particularly close. Allen can match him on any given day, but over their career it's Mahomes by a mile. I would trade Allen for Mahomes, no questions asked.

You're missing the bigger picture. The results aren't why Mahomes is better, they're supporting evidence for why. There isn't a stat that exists or an achievement that he's made that can credibly say that Allen is better than Mahomes right now.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

No, I'm not. I'm laser focused on the fact that he is a superior QB to Josh Allen at this point in his career and it isn't particularly close. Allen can match him on any given day, but over their career it's Mahomes by a mile. I would trade Allen for Mahomes, no questions asked.

If you say so. I disagree. If Josh Allen can match him on any given day then Mahomes can't be "superior". 

Not to mention Mahomes got to sit for a year and went to a perennial playoff team with an entrenched Andy Reid, while the Bills were just breaking a 17 year playoff drought with the help of players not even on the team (Bengals).

Your only saving grace is that you say "at this point in his career" leaving room for the potential for Allen to surpass Mahomes in your mind at least. 👍

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

If you say so. I disagree. If Josh Allen can match him on any given day then Mahomes can't be "superior"

Not to mention Mahomes got to sit for a year and went to a perennial playoff team with an entrenched Andy Reid, while the Bills were just breaking a 17 year playoff drought with the help of players not even on the team (Bengals).

Your only saving grace is that you say "at this point in his career" leaving room for the potential for Allen to surpass Mahomes in your mind at least. 👍

Expected Value is a thing and in this case is the answer to your confusion. They can both be great on any day, but Mahomes is great far more often. He's also bad less often.

5 hours ago, Success said:

I think a lot of us here have been fans since the SB years, and even before.  I still consider us incredibly lucky to have had a QB like Jim Kelly, even though those teams couldn't close the deal.  A lot of fanbases are lucky to get a QB like that once in their lifetime.

But we got another.  And if you had told any of us on draft day that this is what we could have expected, we wouldn't have believed it.  And I was really happy about that pick - but I never imagined he'd turn out to be this much of a force.  There is a lot of debate about this, as there will always be w/ QBs - but I personally believe he is the best in the league right now.  It's obviously close with Mahomes, but I wouldn't trade them if I could, and I like to believe I'm judging that objectively.

It's funny how quickly we get used to amazing play, week after week. We're accustomed to it now, so don't really think about it.  But for almost a quarter of a century here, it wasn't the way.  I'm not sure if any other fanbase has had to endure so much bad QB play over such a long stretch - maybe Cleveland.  

The reward for our loyalty has come, in the form of a scrambling, running, hurdling unicorn, with a cannon for an arm and a fierce competitive drive.  Just wanted to take a minute today to thank the universe.

Jerry Sullivan thinks you're too emotional about Allen. Not X's and O's.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I would no doubt 100% trade him for Mahomes in a second, but, I am incredibly happy he is my starting QB and hope it stays that way for 10+ years.

*edit - this was in response to OP saying " It's obviously close with Mahomes, but I wouldn't trade them if I could, and I like to believe I'm judging that objectively." 

Perhaps it's the water in DC that plays havoc with cognitive function.

2 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Can we give some love to Josh's leadership and social skills?

He handles questions near perfectly, his "OK" short answer to "You're not a Superbowk offense" was perfect. As was his answers for having his nuts squeezed. Plus his teammates love him. He is a leader!

And he does it without sounding canned or coached, and without using the same old tired cliches. Entirely genuine but at the same time protective of his teammates. He lets you know what he’s thinking without saying it, and it doesn’t come across as trying to slip a zinger in for those in the know.  For someone so young, it’s really impressive.  He’s obviously had some help and coaching in media matters behind the scenes (and the Bills should be commended for that), but it’s still impressive. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

When Mahomes and Allen are at their best....it's a literal coin flip as to who the better QB is.....

Nope. When Josh Allen is at his best -   No one has ever compared (IMO) I do admit though that Mahomes and team have been better consistently. So far.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, BRH said:

He’s obviously had some help and coaching in media matters behind the scenes (and the Bills should be commended for that), but it’s still impressive. 

Josh has mentioned a few times that his DAD did mock interviews with him in car rides. Preparing him for what he's doing now!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.