Josh Allen: a thread of gratitude

Success

I think a lot of us here have been fans since the SB years, and even before.  I still consider us incredibly lucky to have had a QB like Jim Kelly, even though those teams couldn't close the deal.  A lot of fanbases are lucky to get a QB like that once in their lifetime.

But we got another.  And if you had told any of us on draft day that this is what we could have expected, we wouldn't have believed it.  And I was really happy about that pick - but I never imagined he'd turn out to be this much of a force.  There is a lot of debate about this, as there will always be w/ QBs - but I personally believe he is the best in the league right now.  It's obviously close with Mahomes, but I wouldn't trade them if I could, and I like to believe I'm judging that objectively.

It's funny how quickly we get used to amazing play, week after week. We're accustomed to it now, so don't really think about it.  But for almost a quarter of a century here, it wasn't the way.  I'm not sure if any other fanbase has had to endure so much bad QB play over such a long stretch - maybe Cleveland.  

The reward for our loyalty has come, in the form of a scrambling, running, hurdling unicorn, with a cannon for an arm and a fierce competitive drive.  Just wanted to take a minute today to thank the universe.

• Like (+1) 20
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I would no doubt 100% trade him for Mahomes in a second, but, I am incredibly happy he is my starting QB and hope it stays that way for 10+ years.

*edit - this was in response to OP saying " It's obviously close with Mahomes, but I wouldn't trade them if I could, and I like to believe I'm judging that objectively." 

Edited by ALLinALLEN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 5
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 6

8 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I would no doubt 100% trade him for Mahomes in a second, but, I am incredibly happy he is my starting QB and hope it stays that way for 10+ years.

nice username. hypocrite

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

You should change posting alias to NotALLinALLEN.

you can smell a troll from a mile away. he or she reeks troll

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

nice username. hypocrite

you can smell a troll from a mile away. he or she reeks troll

Not a troll whatsoever and stand by my username....you know it's OK to believe in and love having Allen and admit there are other QB's just as great if not better than him right? 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

12 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

lol I know that....the OP said he wouldnt trade allen for mahomes which is a ludicrous statement.

They have very different styles. I don't see how anyone could call it "ludicrous" to value Allen's skill set more.

Mahomes' style is more akin to Steph Curry in the NBA. An amazing player, but he gets a little careless w/ his "Globetrotters" kind of style at times.  He's a little too loose.  Mahomes makes quite a few amazing plays that way - but also some bad ones.

I just think Allen can do a bit more, and has a slightly better arm. It's close, but I think Allen will go down as the better QB when all is said & done.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

A team would have to sign him to their 53, not to the PS.  Also think would require a substantial pay bump to pull it off.

35 minutes ago, Success said:

I think a lot of us here have been fans since the SB years, and even before.  I still consider us incredibly lucky to have had a QB like Jim Kelly, even though those teams couldn't close the deal.  A lot of fanbases are lucky to get a QB like that once in their lifetime.

But we got another.  And if you had told any of us on draft day that this is what we could have expected, we wouldn't have believed it.  And I was really happy about that pick - but I never imagined he'd turn out to be this much of a force.  There is a lot of debate about this, as there will always be w/ QBs - but I personally believe he is the best in the league right now.  It's obviously close with Mahomes, but I wouldn't trade them if I could, and I like to believe I'm judging that objectively.

It's funny how quickly we get used to amazing play, week after week. We're accustomed to it now, so don't really think about it.  But for almost a quarter of a century here, it wasn't the way.  I'm not sure if any other fanbase has had to endure so much bad QB play over such a long stretch - maybe Cleveland.  

The reward for our loyalty has come, in the form of a scrambling, running, hurdling unicorn, with a cannon for an arm and a fierce competitive drive.  Just wanted to take a minute today to thank the universe.

I'm a lifelong Bills fan and try not to let that affect my judgment. As much as fans might love Josh as a PERSON I think many are quite subjective in their evaluation of him as a QUARTERBACK. 

I'd take either QB I think they are both on the same level. Now what I would trade is Dorsey for Andy. There is where the difference is 

7 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Not a troll whatsoever and stand by my username....you know it's OK to believe in and love having Allen and admit there are other QB's just as great if not better than him right? 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

*edit - this was in response to OP saying " It's obviously close with Mahomes, but I wouldn't trade them if I could, and I like to believe I'm judging that objectively." 

Half Baked Boo GIF

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Even if Mahomes was better than Allen, I could never listen to that grating, horrible, kermit voiced cadence before every play.  I want to drill my eardrums out every time I hear him get ready for a snap.  Does this annoy anyone else?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Even if Mahomes was better than Allen, I could never listen to that grating, horrible, kermit voiced cadence before every play.  I want to drill my eardrums out every time I hear him get ready for a snap.  Does this annoy anyone else?

That doesn't annoy me as much as his brother and his wife does.

7 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

It would also take 1 Jackson Mahomes tik tok dance to have the entire fan base at his neck lol....and his wife isn't great either. 

44 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

When Mahomes and Allen are at their best....it's a literal coin flip as to who the better QB is.....

Which means that in deciding what QB would be better for Buffalo the intangibles drive the decision.  And IMO Allen has the perfect temperament for Buffalo. I'm not sure that Mahomes does.  So I would never trade Allen for Mahomes.

1 hour ago, Success said:

I'm full on the Josh train, but if you wouldn't trade him for a guy that's taken his team to the AFC championship every year he's played along with back to back SB appearances including a SB win and a SB MVP, I'm not sure how objective that can be. They're highly likely to be in that position again for a 5th straight year.

Edited by BullBuchanan

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm full on the Josh train, but if you would've trade him for a guy that's taken his team to the AFC championship every year he's played along with back to back SB appearances including a SB win and a SB MVP, I'm not sure how objective that can be. They're highly likely to be int hat position again for a 5th straight year.

It's personal preference at this point imo. There's no disputing Mahomes resume, nor the fact that he's been put in a better situation to succeed offensively.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

When Mahomes and Allen are at their best....it's a literal coin flip as to who the better QB is.....

If you gave Josh players like Tyreek and Kelce along with an offensive genius like Reid, he'd have a ring too. Josh has Diggs and that's about it. No bonified 2nd wr. Weak OL and now a struggling rookie OC.  Josh has to make lemonade out of lemons.  Mahomes & Allen are practically identical. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm full on the Josh train, but if you wouldn't trade him for a guy that's taken his team to the AFC championship every year he's played along with back to back SB appearances including a SB win and a SB MVP, I'm not sure how objective that can be. They're highly likely to be in that position again for a 5th straight year.

It's a team game.  We've had to play in KC every time, and they had the better team when we played them in the AFCCG 2 years ago.  Last year, it was neck & neck, and I thought JA outplayed Mahomes in the 4th.  If not for a complete defensive lapse, JA should have won that game.

And Mahomes disappeared the next week.  He has fallen short in the playoffs & SB more than he has come through.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Success said:

It's a team game.  We've had to play in KC every time, and they had the better team when we played them in the AFCCG 2 years ago.  Last year, it was neck & neck, and I thought JA outplayed Mahomes in the 4th.  If not for a complete defensive lapse, JA should have won that game.

And Mahomes disappeared the next week.  He has fallen short in the playoffs & SB more than he has come through.

This is true of every player to ever play the game, including Brady, the GOAT.

Correction: Otto Graham went to the championship every year he was in the league and won 7/10.

Edited by BullBuchanan

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

This is true of every player to ever play the game, including Brady, the GOAT.

I don't disagree - but the narrative on Mahomes would be a whole lot different if Jimmy G had hit a wide open receiver for a long TD pass in the 1 Super Bowl KC won.  

It's why I don't compare JA and Mahomes based on playoff successes & failures.  For me, it was the same w/ the Brady/Manning comparisons.  Brady had the GOAT coach and consistently more well-rounded rosters.  Manning went through 5 coaches and often had to carry those Colts teams.

Edited by Success
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It's personal preference at this point imo. There's no disputing Mahomes resume, nor the fact that he's been put in a better situation to succeed offensively.

There are also a ton of stats and data that say this is not just purely a "personal preference" point either. That's also OK too.

Edited by ALLinALLEN
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.