Isaiah McKenzie Show 12/12 - discusses drops, his role, and offensive malaise

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

No, just no. Cincy and KC do NOT play in bad, cold weather, full stop. They play in cold/chilly occasions (very) occasionally, while the Bills regularly play in precipitation fests with 20+ mph winds and very low windchill temps. The Bills play in hands down the worst conditions in the NFL because of the unique high winds, high precipitation levels, and cold, and it ain’t even close. Regardless of whether the Bills players like playing in these conditions or not, the conditions represent an inarguable home field advantage for the Bills (and when I say inarguable, I mean it). As tough as it might be for them, it’s almost always tougher for opponents not used to it. Outside of the NE game last year — a game the Bills probably should have pulled out at the end — they win virtually all of the rough weather home games. 

I couldn't disagree more.  Bad weather doesn't care if your Chad Pennington or Josh Allen. A wet ball is going to come out poorly regardless.  The wind will blow your pass out of bounds regardless. This organization will regret not spending the extra money on a dome. And this so called advantage no longer exists. Every time Josh plays in weather his numbers are down.  He's just as neutralized as the next guy.

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I couldn't disagree more.  Bad weather doesn't care if your Chad Pennington or Josh Allen. A wet ball is going to come out poorly regardless.  The wind will blow your pass out of bounds regardless. This organization will regret not spending the extra money on a dome. And this so called advantage no longer exists. Every time Josh plays in weather his numbers are down.  He's just as neutralized as the next guy.

Yet the Bills win almost all of these games. Why? The opponents are ven worse in such weather. I could point to 10 games off the top of my head. There’s also a reason the Bills chose the qb with arguably the strongest arm in league history.

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I'm not offended, I just have more tact.  Have a great day though. 

Passive aggressive is not more tactful, it's more assh*lish, in fact. ;)   You have a great day........your boss says you need one of those........soon.    Word is you are unfocused and it takes you hours to complete simple work tasks online for some reason. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Bills dont play well in those extreme conditions either.  So whats your point?  

My point is RELATIVE performance. It’s tough for everyone, but it’s less tough for the team that performs in such conditions more than any other. Look at the Kelly era. They DESTROYED teams in bad weather at home for a decade.

I feel a lot of people here have an *aesthetic* problem with bad weather games and fixate on that to the point of missing the real advantages it gives to the Bills.

Edited by dave mcbride

6 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

McKenzie is beginning to have a very punchable face.

But whether he has some great plays on the rest of his self proclaimed 2022 farewell tour or he just bottoms out there will always be some die hard Lil' Dummy fans..........just like there were SJ13 fans despite his idiotic statements and me-first on-field behavior.     Viva irreverance!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

19 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

My point is RELATIVE performance. It’s tough for everyone, but it’s less tough for the team that performs in such conditions more than any other. Look at the Kelly era. They DESTROYED teams in bad weather at home for a decade.

I feel a lot of people here have an *aesthetic* problem with bad weather games and fixate on that to the point of missing the real advantages it gives to the Bills.

Bills lost to a rookie Mac Jones after he threw just 3 passes last year at home.  

Kelly era teams had Thurman Thomas and a gritty OL.  There is no reflection on how this team is built with an unreliable OL and barely existent run game.  We wholeheartedly depend on airing it out.  This current offense is not built for severe weather, it is a finesse offense, and severe weather has not done the offense any favors or shown the offense has any advantage over others.  

So, I stand by my point...the severe weather doesn't play into our favor offensively as an advantage, and that Mahomes and Burrow are equally capable of leading their offenses in the same capacity Josh is during bad weather games.   

Bills Mafia for sure does...but if we get severe weather, that actually neutralizes some of the home field advantage given our current offense doesn't play well in it.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

In fairness the Kelly era Bills were just dominant over most of the NFL.........they walloped teams on the playoffs on the road as well.........and it was the end of the era when you could horde talent before UFA.

Once the talent declined they stopped being so dominant and the era literally ended with a home playoff loss to a Florida team.:lol:

To me the bigger issue is about player acquisition and retention and long term security of the team in Buffalo.

I suspect this will be the last NFL stadium to be built without a dome unless the NFL opens up shop in San Diego again............there is just too much money to be made IN the stadium while the fans are inside when they are comfortable.    When you are wet and freezing you are bundled up and your wallet is under six layers of clothes literally and figuratively.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

He is a $2 million dollar player ($1 million dollars last year) that we put $10 million dollar expectations on.   

There is a reason no one else overpaid him.   

I know he has drops and the occasional fumble, but does he provide $2 million worth of benefits if measured against peers in his salary range?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

He is a $2 million dollar player ($1 million dollars last year) that we put $10 million dollar expectations on.   

There is a reason no one else overpaid him.   

I know he has drops and the occasional fumble, but does he provide $2 million worth of benefits if measured against peers in his salary range?

Most player criticism from fans is ACTUALLY criticism of management.

It's not "we" who put starting slot receiver expectations on McKenzie........it was McBeane.    

Don't blame the fans for McKenzie being just an oft-injured $2M flier in Jamison Crowder away from being WR3 in what should be a room of 7 WR's.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I already told you what I'd characterize it as.

And as far as practical solutions go, you can just turn notifications off... You don't even have to delete the app.

Text Phone GIF by Life at Lower

Do you know anyone that’s so famous they get thousands of mentions a day? I’m really curious. It’s not that simple to ignore it all. 

Honestly, there’s some irony to this whole discord…

1) You’re exchanging dialogue

2) With a person whom you don’t know 3) About a subject you both disagree on

4) And it’s taking place on a social media platform

You’re so engaged that you keep replying to prove me wrong (or at least prove your point). I haven’t even said anything negative about you to provoke a response. Also, I’d assume you don’t have notifications being sent directly to your phone from TBD… and you’re still responding to me when you see the message. 

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

You were SO right about Wilson.

I was SO wrong. 

He’s going to be an elite WR very soon if his qb play allows it. 

I hate to say this but he reminds me of AJ Brown. Smooth route running, physical at the catch point, bodies DBs that get in his way. 🤮

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Bills lost to a rookie Mac Jones after he threw just 3 passes last year at home.  

Kelly era teams had Thurman Thomas and a gritty OL.  There is no reflection on how this team is built with an unreliable OL and barely existent run game.  We wholeheartedly depend on airing it out.  This current offense is not built for severe weather, it is a finesse offense, and severe weather has not done the offense any favors or shown the offense has any advantage over others.  

So, I stand by my point...the severe weather doesn't play into our favor offensively as an advantage, and that Mahomes and Burrow are equally capable of leading their offenses in the same capacity Josh is during bad weather games.   

Bills Mafia for sure does...but if we get severe weather, that actually neutralizes some of the home field advantage given our current offense doesn't play well in it.

I said ALMOST every game, and for the record the Bills passing attack was leagues better than the Pts that night. When they shifted to it late in the game, they clearly appeared to be the better offense. The run game wasn’t good, however, and the Pats ran the ball at will despite the Bills knowing it was coming. I wouldn’t cherry pick the craziest game in a long time at the expense of the 12-15 bad weather home games going back to 2019. 

Edited by dave mcbride

4 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

on rewatching the game, I was surprised he didn't get more out of the reverse.  Watching tyreek hill return that fumble, i wonder what he would have gotten out of that play.  maybe mckenzie is not as fast as he thinks.

I like him a lot as a guy, but I don't think he's ever had a good feel running the ball. He's fast and can find a crease now and then. But he just doesn't have that sense of flow and he gets tackled really easily. Many, many times over the years I've thought he had room to gain a lot more yardage than he ends up gaining on a given play. Can't really put my finger on it. But after five decades of watching good runners flow through traffic, you just get a sense when it's there to be had. And I think he's left a lot of yards on the field over the last few years.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In fairness the Kelly era Bills were just dominant over most of the NFL.........they walloped teams on the playoffs on the road as well.........and it was the end of the era when you could horde talent before UFA.

Once the talent declined they stopped being so dominant and the era literally ended with a home playoff loss to a Florida team.:lol:

To me the bigger issue is about player acquisition and retention and long term security of the team in Buffalo.

I suspect this will be the last NFL stadium to be built without a dome unless the NFL opens up shop in San Diego again............there is just too much money to be made IN the stadium while the fans are inside when they are comfortable.    When you are wet and freezing you are bundled up and your wallet is under six layers of clothes literally and figuratively.    

Not really talking about the fan experience here. I am focusing specifically on the era when the Bills became good with Josh Allen - i.e., the here and now (2019-present). They have been above average in talent/depth all of those years and borderline elite (albeit with flaws like every other team) the past couple of years. In any case, all I am arguing is that whatever negative impact bad weather at home has had on the Bills offense since 2019, it’s been worse for almost all of the opponents they’ve faced. They dominated opponents in adverse conditions repeatedly last year outside of the Pats game: washington game (winds up to 30 mph IIRC), Houston (driving rainstorm and wind), Jets (high winds), Carolina (wintry mix), Falcons (snow/some wind/cold), and they held the Ravens to 3 points in a playoff high-wind game the year before. And they massacred the Pats in frigid weather last January. The Bills might not like the weather, but other teams HATE it. They did lose to the Eagles in 2019 in bad weather. I’ll grant that.

Edited by dave mcbride

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

"I actually got the ball that time" referring to Thanksgiving....

then the "you were the scapegoat for not stopping Taylor" comment from the host about the Colts game as they were rehashing last season...

Seems like there's a "I'm the victim" vibe, although I do still like McKenzie. Can't blame a competitor for being frustrated for not  (in his mind) getting a chance to contribute

I think one might want to distinguish a bit from what Ty Dunne says or projects on McKenzie, and what McKenzie says himself.  Ty Dunne definitely "stirs the *****" at times to raise the controversy/interest level.

I'm not sure it's good for McKenzie to do that show.

5 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

McKenzie pretty clearly has concentration issues on the field, I'm sure the weather was a factor but any time contact is even threatened he doesn't hold onto the ball.  

This is pretty much baloney.  The improvised lateral Josh threw at him was a concentration issue - he wasn't "expecting the unexpected" until the whistle blew.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Complaining that he’s open all the time about if you watch the film because he’s so fast but doesn’t get the ball 

This is true (that he complained about that).  He also said he's open in zone.

Edited by Beck Water

5 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Catch the ball when thrown to you!! 

Simple as that.
From what I have seen so far this season is that more and better effort from him would have turned those incompletes and DROPS in to catches and perhaps score.

I suspect Josh has been getting pissed about some of the basic mental mistakes that isaiah  has made all season

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yup. I thought he even said “we can’t even run the ball when it’s sunny”

4 hours ago, BufBills83 said:

That may have been it, I may have worded it a bit wrong.  But either way, not something you want to say.

I did a bunch of transcription where I went back a couple times and listened

What I wrote down (longer post up thread, linked above) was

"Dunne suggests "run the ball more, if it's bad weather, just run it, is it that simple?" 

McKenzie says "No" 

Dunne says "why not?" 

McKenzie says "because we can barely run the ball when it's sunny out". 

(Ouch.  McKenzie just opened a can called "Trouble" with his name on it)

I think it's throwing shade at all 3 of them (the OL, the RBs, and Dorsey/Kromer for play design)

You can see my reaction about the wisdom of that quoted above.

Anyway, I heard it as "we can barely run the ball when it's sunny out".

Edited by Beck Water

Just now, Beck Water said:

I did a bunch of transcription where I went back a couple times and listened

What I wrote down (longer post up thread) was

"Dunne suggests "run the ball more, if it's bad weather, just run it, is it that simple?" 

McKenzie says "No" 

Dunne says "why not?" 

McKenzie says "because we can barely run the ball when it's sunny out". 

(Ouch.  McKenzie just opened a can called "Trouble" with his name on it)

I think it's throwing shade at all 3 of them (the OL, the RBs, and Dorsey/Kromer for play design)

You can see my reaction about the wisdom of that quoted above.

Discretion often entails less candor, but he's not entirely wrong. 

5 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

JA does not seem to want to throw his way - possibly the same for Gabe Davis.  In a captain obvious way, it’s evident from the moves the Bills have made with Brown and now Beasley that they are not happy with McKenzie and possibly Davis.

To me, Davis is probably best suited as an “off the bench” change of pace player and not the full time #2.  Absolutely not a #1.  Lil Dirty is only gadget player and probably not on the roster in a Bills uni next year.

agreed about Lil' and Josh etc
Davis i feel is a different situation.

Josh used to talk him up often. What changed ? Dorsey game calling ? Something did.

Dead Man Walking!

You’re in Buffalo, NY! 

Ergo, you ain’t in Sunny Cal or Florida or Arizona or a Dome.

The expectation, as a well paid NFL WR is that you catch the freaking ball and you especially catch it in the back half of the Season when cold, rain,snow and wind make life more difficult!

I no longer have that expectation of MacKenzie.

Nor, do the Bills anymore.

Edited by Billsatlastin2018

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Yet the Bills win almost all of these games. Why? The opponents are ven worse in such weather. I could point to 10 games off the top of my head. There’s also a reason the Bills chose the qb with arguably the strongest arm in league history.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/01/13/sports/josh-allen-bills-cold-weather-has-been-great-neutralizer/

Sorry but the numbers don't back up your argument. And this article just discusses the cold. Factor in rain (wet ball), wind like NE game and snow and the numbers for Josh fall even more. We can no longer live in the Jim Kelly snow game years. The organization dropped the ball on not insisting more on a dome. And they'll definitely regret it.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Dead Man Walking!

You’re in Buffalo, NY! 

Ergo, you ain’t in Sunny Cal or Florida or Arizona or a Dome.

The expectation, as a well paid NFL WR is that you catch the freaking ball and you especially catch it in the back half of the Season when cold, rain,snow and wind make life more difficult!

I no longer have that expectation of MacKenzie.

Nor, do the Bills anymore.

I only remember the one drop - was there another?  

35 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I hate to say this but he reminds me of AJ Brown. Smooth route running, physical at the catch point, bodies DBs that get in his way. 🤮

Interesting comp.  Minus the 30 pounds, I like it.  For a sub 200 lb wr, he’s strong.  I think Wilson has more explosiveness/quickness - while brown more physical.  But that’s before and after the catch.  I really like the comparison with the ball in the air. 

I see Antonio Brown and Torry Holts love child.  

Looks special

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

It's a great point that most fans miss. They focus so much on our play being sloppy in some of those games they they never stop to realize the other team is even sloppier. The Pats wind game is not a good example in favor of a dome - we got to play them in a game where their QB literally couldn't throw the ball. 99 times out of 100 that's a game we should win, it just took our coaches too long to realize we had a QB that could cut through the wind. I thought while watching the wildcard game last year that the Pats looked absolutely miserable in that temperature. Sure our guys weren't comfortable but they were used to it, they knew what it felt like to take an NFL hit in zero degree weather. The Pats weren't prepared at all. Mac Jones was on the bench marveling that he could see his own breath for the first time in his life. It's a HUGE advantage.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

agreed about Lil' and Josh etc
Davis i feel is a different situation.

Josh used to talk him up often. What changed ? Dorsey game calling ? Something did.

Just me, but I feel what changed is that teams decided they don't need to worry about covering McKenzie and Knox and Cook or Motor, and when McKenzie or Shakir are running deeper routes they are  basically clearing/decoy routes - so they can focus coverage on Davis.

Davis has had maybe a few concentration issues where he's failed to bring in a contested catch or a catchable ball where he's going to be hit right away, but I think the main issue is the focus of coverage, without viable alternatives in the passing game.

28 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I only remember the one drop - was there another?  

There were 3 targets McKenzie didn't haul in.  One, he was trying to secure the ball as the defender pushed him out of bounds, it was ruled an incompletion and it was something like 3rd and 16, after several penalties had us 2nd and 20.  I don't think we get the 1st down.  Two, he drew a holding penalty, so it's "no play", but folks here are counting it as a drop.  We took the 5 yards and went on to score a TD. 

Three, was a drop on 3rd and 3 where we scored a FG and apparently there was a lot of animated discussion on the sideline because other WR were open as well.  Pretty sure that's the only one that was scored as a drop, but the tar-and-pitchforks crowd are up in arms about the 3 drops McKenzie had that single-handedly killed 3 different drives and forced us to punt.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Complaining that he’s open all the time about if you watch the film because he’s so fast but doesn’t get the ball 

Wow.  

Let me throw my two cents in.  You know what?  He IS really fast.  I have beat the drum as loud as I can on multiple occasions, the guy is freakin FAST. And quick.  He has a gear noone else on the team really has IMO, with the exception of maybe Cook. I love seeing him in action, and especially love the few times seeing him make a great catch for a first down, or leave a defender in the dust.  

HOWEVER, those plays are far and few between, and I can think of more instances where he had a backbreaking drop to kill a drive than the times where he came through.  I said it yesterday night, I was really starting to think he was turning the corner, stepping up his okay these past couple weeks, and to me I felt like he was starting to re-win more of Josh's trust in him, and reinstill confidence in him from Josh and coaches alike.  Then what does he do Sunday?  Goes out and proceeds that have a multiple drop game YET AGAIN.  I'm tired of seeing him take one step forward to only take two steps back.  And can I please offer my opinion on what I think happened after the game?  I believe Allen burst into McDermott's office, and campaigned his BUNS off to bring Beas back.  And McBeane gladly obliged.    I think Allen finally realized that what you get with McKenzie is what you're gonna get, and spoke up, perhaps even in desperation.  

Look, I LIKE Isaiah McKenzie.  I like Isaiah McKenzie the person, I like IM the football player.   He has luscious, sexy quickness, and I get excited as soon as the ball gets into his hands.  He is a threat to take it to the house the moment the ball touches his hands.  But I just feel like, aside from the sporadic few moments the opportunities present themselves, what we see is what we get with him.  And it's simply nowhere near enough.  Josh probably had the last straw and said Sean, PLEASE get me somebody reliable in the slot.  Hell, even Diggs has  outperformed McKenzie in the slot WR when he's been placed there this year.  I'm willing to give Davis a mulligan this year due to his own slew of injuries.  Praying he continues to get healthy, and as the season continues he gets stronger and remains our best WR2 guy. Shakir, I'm really perplexed as to why he hasn't been given more opportunities.  Maybe coaches just don't trust him enough yet, and maybe he still will get his opportunities before the season is over.  Guys, there is still A LOT of football left to be played.  Whatever the situation is with regard to SLOT, I really hope this lights a four alarm fire underneath McKenzie most specifically, but also all the other WR's as well.  I love everything about this move, and to me, it's a win-win situation.  I believe Beasley still has plenty to offer from his position.    Our slot WR position has seen subpar play all year long, and God bless our boys who have given it their best efforts.  But ***** I'm ready to see Beasley sitting down perfectly in zones, Allen finding him, and the two of them connecting for 1st down, after 1st down, after 1st down.  

Let's go Buffalo!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/01/13/sports/josh-allen-bills-cold-weather-has-been-great-neutralizer/

Sorry but the numbers don't back up your argument. And this article just discusses the cold. Factor in rain (wet ball), wind like NE game and snow and the numbers for Josh fall even more. We can no longer live in the Jim Kelly snow game years. The organization dropped the ball on not insisting more on a dome. And they'll definitely regret it.

You’re kinda missing my point. Of course his numbers go down. But I challenge you to look at the collective passer rating for opposing qbs playing in bad weather home games in 2021, of which there were many. Indeed, The Bills team passer rating rating was a below-average 83.9 vs the Jets on Sunday (but with zero turnovers and a TD run by Allen), but the Jets team passer rating was a godawful 72.38 with two fumbles by the QB (one of which was a turnover) and zero TDs. 

47 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Simple as that.
From what I have seen so far this season is that more and better effort from him would have turned those incompletes and DROPS in to catches and perhaps score.   I suspect Josh has been getting pissed about some of the basic mental mistakes that isaiah  has made all season

You know, with all that....McKenzie has a decent catch %, 69.1%. Would he like to have more, would the Bills like him to have more?  Sure.  Has he had drops?  Sure. But to read what's read about him here, one might think he had a catch % of 46% or 47%....like........ Shakir and Crowder, the guys fans here keep crying for.    McKenzie says he's open on film, and a couple weeks back Dorsey launched into a rather impassioned defense of McKenzie as "doing everything we've asked him to do, running every route full speed, clearing routes, blocking".  So maybe he's making less "basic mental mistakes" than fans believe?

All our receivers have been having trouble hauling stuff in this season.  Davis has almost 700 yds and caught 3 out of 4 targets last Sunday, but he was scored with a drop, his 7th of the season, 10% drop rate - that gives him...a higher drop % than Isaiah McKenzie?  His overall catch % is 53.5%.  A goodly bunch of those were uncatchable throw-aways in his direction, but a number of those were makeable catches not "easy" enough to be scored as drops. 

On Sunday, the catching statistics from most of the WR were not great, especially in the first half.  Diggs finished 3 of 5, but was 1 of 3 in the first half.  Shakir, Brown and Davis all missed a catch. 

Knox was a bright light - he finished 4 of 7 which ain't great, but he was 4 for 4 in the first half I think. 

IMHO the one who should get more targets is Knox.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Lots of excuses so far about the weather - I’m about 15 min in. Garrett Wilson didn’t seem to have a problem catching the wet balls, just saying 

I listened and while I love Isaiah’s confidence, I’m not quite sure the self-assessment of his performance is as accurate as he depicts.  He’s claiming he’s been getting open but just hasn’t gotten the ball and needs more targets.  But he’s also had some very untimely drops this season that he hasn’t acknowledged.  So while I think it’s fair to say he needs more opportunities, it’s also fair that’s he’s been fairly inconsistent when called upon.  

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I used to be an anti-dome guy.  But its become clear its a better product in person and on TV when the weather is not a factor in the game.  Now that the Bills are a top tier team, the randomness introduced by the weather works against them. It really does. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

on rewatching the game, I was surprised he didn't get more out of the reverse.  Watching tyreek hill return that fumble, i wonder what he would have gotten out of that play.  maybe mckenzie is not as fast as he thinks.

Yeah, I said the same thing. I am like he is supposed to be our fast gadget guy but somehow always gets chased down from behind or doesn't beat the defense to turn the corner.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.