Orlovsky: Bills aren't as talented offensively as we thought

Billz4ever

I don't like admitting it, but he makes fair points.  We are in 3rd and long far too often.  The O-line is not doing a great job and much of our offense is Josh creating on the fly, not executing the plays as designed because he either doesn't have time, or isn't finding an open receiver.

Outside of Josh and Diggs who has any confidence in anyone else in this offense?  

I'd say Motor, but he needs the blocking to be there and for the most part, it's not.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=35237773

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Not only is there too little creativity/too much predictability in scheme (even Romo knew it would be a running play when Diggs left the field), the offense has zero physicality or heart to it other than Allen and Diggs.  They are SOFT mentally and physically.  

Talent-wise, McKenzie should not be a starter on a supposedly good offense.  Cook has never broken a tackle in his life.  Saffold is a disgrace - he is stealing money from his employer.  Even Dawkins seems out of shape, his "always something" approach to physical maintenance has started to catch up with him.  Spencer Brown has not improved as a player.  Davis has become an afterthought.  They have zero backup tight ends.  Just a staggering lack of talent across the board stemming directly from an under-investment.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Sad 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 23
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

It’s clear when you watch other NFL teams. Seemingly every NFL team has multiple skill players that can make contested catches and break arm tackles.  

Our RB’s are replacement level and don’t break any arm tackles.  The book seems to be out on how to defend Gabe.  McKenzie is too unreliable to be anything other than a gadget player. 

And most disappointing of all because he’s paid to be an upper echelon guy is Knox.  Sorry but good hands should be a pre-requisite for a guy who’s paid to catch the football.  

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I don't like admitting it, but he makes fair points.  We are in 3rd and long far too often.  The O-line is not doing a great job and much of our offense is Josh creating on the fly, not executing the plays as designed because he either doesn't have time, or isn't finding an open receiver.

Outside of Josh and Diggs who has any confidence in anyone else in this offense?  

I'd say Motor, but he needs the blocking to be there and for the most part, it's not.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=35237773

I think more than anything, it's Allen being told to stop putting the ball in harms way so often and he hasn't found the happy medium between taking chances and being overly aggressive.  Now he is being overly conservative.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Not only is there too little creativity/too much predictability in scheme (even Romo knew it would be a running play when Diggs left the field), the offense has zero physicality or heart to it other than Allen and Diggs.  They are SOFT mentally and physically.  

Talent-wise, McKenzie should not be a starter on a supposedly good offense.  Cook has never broken a tackle in his life.  Saffold is a disgrace - he is stealing money from his employer.  Even Dawkins seems out of shape, his "always something" approach to physical maintenance has started to catch up with him.  Spencer Brown has not improved as a player.  Davis has become an afterthought.  They have zero backup tight ends.  Just a staggering lack of talent across the board stemming directly from an under-investment.

The part I don't get is that basically all the way up to the bye week, they looked almost unstoppable offensively.  Did teams figure us out? Did we change something?  Is it just poor execution?  It's almost a night and day difference it seems at times.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I think more than anything, it's Allen being told to stop putting the ball in harms way so often and he hasn't found the happy medium between taking chances and being overly aggressive.  Now he is being overly conservative.

I have to agree with Josh being very conservative.  I don't know if the red zone turnover thing has been haunting him or if it's being beaten into his head not to make those throws, but he did have the endzone toss last week to Davis that would normally not be considered a wise throw.

I do agree though, it seems Josh is either not wanting to pull the trigger or he's just not seeing the open receiver.

In a re-do today, I don't think Josh ever attempts that game winner to Knox against KC and I'm sure a bunch of others we saw earlier in the year.

Edited by Billz4ever

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Coach, I am looking to poke holes in anything you said above.

...I will let you know when I find something.

Don't hold your breath on this and if you were planning to go to lunch at noon, but wanted to stick around for my response...you can probably just go ahead and grab yourself a sandwich.

I find all of it so very true and I hate diluting the truth with sugar.

• Like (+1) 2

Who is "we". The media hypes the bills talent on offense because in their heads they need a reason for Josh's success.

A lot of Bills fans knew this going into last off-season.

I'm glad people are starting to point it out though. Maybe it will wake beane up.

• Agree 1

I agree that one reason why we have too many "third and hopes" (good phrase) is that we/Josh are not taking early easy throws. I see it with a limited view of the field (TV cams not showing whole field) so why doesn't Josh? He's either not reading the field well right now or going for the big play too much.

If Josh can take those 6 or 7-yard first down passes, if we can run more than 14 carries a game by the backs, we will be a LOT better. But again, it was against a great D and in less than ideal weather. Let's see if over the next 4 games we can make progress. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

I am definitely on the train that we need more pass catchers.  I thought Davis and McKenzie would fill in fine.  Davis finally getting the #2 position and thought McKenzie would give us the YAC element from the slot.

Both have been disappointments.  #2 needs to be upgraded but we can't do that this year..  McKenzie needs to sit.  I can't wait for Crowder to come back or move Shakir to full time slot.  I have no faith in McKenzie and he scares me that he's going to have a ball bounce off his pads, go in the air and it becomes a pick 6.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

This is what I believe is the main problem. Think back to last season. We were 7-5 and having similar issues. Losing to Tampa by multiple scores in the second half when suddenly everything turned around. 

What happened? My theory is McDermott took the restrictor plate off the offense and his negative influence was gone until it reared it’s ugly head with 13 seconds left in KC. 

Josh has even said as much this season when asked about why the 2min offense works so much better than the “normal” offense. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You hit on every point.  I even agree with them being soft.  Who is the mauler on the oline?   Saffold and Brown have to be replaced next year.  I understand that Brown is a physically imposing 3rd round draft pick but the guys bend and lateral movement are just awful to watch.   I keep hearing how he is athletic, but he gets beat by speed rushes consistently.    Saffold had a great career, but its clear its over.   Dawkins gets more of a pass from me because I think he is playing hurt, but your point on physical maintenance make sense, he is a bad body guy for sure.

They are going to have to retool big time in the offseason.  They desperately need a #2 wideout and have very little money to bring someone in.  

They are very lucky to have the QB they have. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

This is what I believe is the main problem. Think back to last season. We were 7-5 and having similar issues. Losing to Tampa by multiple scores in the second half when suddenly everything turned around. 

What happened? My theory is McDermott took the restrictor plate off the offense and his negative influence was gone until it reared it’s ugly head with 13 seconds left in KC. 

Josh has even said as much this season when asked about why the 2min offense works so much better than the “normal” offense. 

Yeah...he says defenses aren't able to get into complex coverages in the hurry-up and have to play simpler.  My question is why don't the Bills run that more often then? Why allow the defenses to play what they want?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The Bills did with the turnover battle yesterday which played a big part in getting the win. Allen will probably have to win a shootout at some point (maybe the playoffs) but as long as the Bills win, I am not concerned if Allen doesn't post 300 yard plus passing games.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I agree that one reason why we have too many "third and hopes" (good phrase) is that we/Josh are not taking early easy throws. I see it with a limited view of the field (TV cams not showing whole field) so why doesn't Josh? He's either not reading the field well right now or going for the big play too much.

If Josh can take those 6 or 7-yard first down passes, if we can run more than 14 carries a game by the backs, we will be a LOT better. But again, it was against a great D and in less than ideal weather. Let's see if over the next 4 games we can make progress. 

I'm sure the weather was a big factor yesterday.  That much was obvious, but as he pointed out, over the last month, the Bills are averaging 4 yards on 1st down.  

Most 2nd downs end either with an incompletion or a run for almost no gain, which sets up the predictable 3rd and long for Josh to have to make the "third and hope" happen.

We get every team's A game.

The Jets are an elite Defense.  

The Packers have an elite Secondary.  

Detroit has 1 loss since Halloween (us down Dawkins and Morse). 

We curb stomped New England.  

The Vikings choke should have never happened and Allen coming in with the elbow sprain doesn’t have 2 turnovers (the fumble and the OT INT where the play call was terrible and essentially green lit him to go hero ball). 

We handled Cleveland no problem.  Motor and Cook 170 yards rushing.  31 points.  

We just played a top 3 D in awful conditions and did what we needed to do - took no chances because the D had the game in control.  Still scored 20 points on just 50 offensive plays - bc too many 3rd and longs and drops —

Which leads to THE reason anyone would doubt this offense.   The RBs are underwhelming and scare no one.  

Against all the defenses just mentioned above if you can stop our running game with just 5-6 in the box and have a great secondary you can absolutely slow us down some.  

Running with Singletary/Moss for 3 years - the decision was made to not use draft capital on an RB or cap space.  This offense is all Josh.  It’s not too much unlike KC.  But their oline is better running the ball.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

The Vikings choke should have never happened and Allen coming in with the elbow sprain doesn’t have 2 turnovers (the fumble and the OT INT where the play call was terrible and essentially green lit him to go hero ball). 

We just played a top 3 D in awful conditions and did what we needed to do - took no chances because the D had the game in control.  Still scored 20 points on just 50 offensive plays - bc too many 3rd and longs and drops —

Which leads to THE reason anyone would doubt this offense.   The RBs are underwhelming and scare no one.  

Against all the defenses just mentioned above if you can stop our running game with just 5-6 in the box and have a great secondary you can absolutely slow us down some.  

Running with Singletary/Moss for 3 years - the decision was made to not use draft capital on an RB or cap space.  This offense is all Josh.  It’s not too much unlike KC.  But their oline is better running the ball.  

running backs lol

• Like (+1) 1

Dorsey seems to be on tilt. The offense is struggling to find a rhythm, and instead of taking the easy first downs, he calls a 5 step drop on 3rd and 2 yesterday. 7 step drops on 3rd and 9.

Let's get into a rhythm first before taking those shots. Earlier in the season, Dorsey seemed to have a better feel for the game and how to set up plays. These last few weeks he seems like he's pulling plays out of a hat.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Just now, Big Blitz said:

Every legit contender:

Sanders/Hurts 

CMC

Zeke/Pollard 

Dalvin Cook 

Mixon/Perine

Ekeler 

Pacheko/McKinnon

Devin Singletary/James Cook

Yea.  It’s Running Back.  

Nah. While I do think our running backs are underwhelming. It’s not the reason the offense is struggling. 

who were the running backs the last couple years? Or in the NE playoff game? 

This is clearly an issue of McDermott restricting the offense again with some sort of edict. 

• Like (+1) 1

Nah. While I do think our running backs are underwhelming. It’s not the reason the offense is struggling. 

This is clearly an issue of McDermott restricting the offense again with some sort of edict. 

Yea Dorsey running what 50 pass plays to 3 running plays in first half before td drive ?

or throwing to knox at end of game where he couldn’t make a play ? 

no edict 

I think Allen is sort of mental. Wild horse. When he’s on he’s on. When things go sidewise need a rancher (Daboll) to rope in and weather the storm until he gets back on track 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I GUARANTEE if you look at the numbers this offense is more productive right now then it was up to this point last year.  It doesn’t mean all our problems are solved it just means there are over reactions to the wrong concerns some are having.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I am definitely on the train that we need more pass catchers.  I thought Davis and McKenzie would fill in fine.  Davis finally getting the #2 position and thought McKenzie would give us the YAC element from the slot.

Both have been disappointments.  #2 needs to be upgraded but we can't do that this year..  McKenzie needs to sit.  I can't wait for Crowder to come back or move Shakir to full time slot.  I have no faith in McKenzie and he scares me that he's going to have a ball bounce off his pads, go in the air and it becomes a pick 6.

Royale, I like him as a person and I like some of the amazing things he's done for the Bills, but if he were a free agent after this season (he has 1 more year), a season in which he is on pace for 50 receptions, for 900 plus yards and 7-8 TDs with JA as his QB it is crazy to me thinking that someone would still likely offer him 4 years, $50 million, $20 million guaranteed and that would be on the low end.

I just wouldn't want the Bills to do it.

Let's see how the rest of this works out in '2, in the playoffs and in '23.

Royale, I like him as a person and I like some of the amazing things he's done for the Bills, but if he were a free agent after this season (he has 1 more year), a season in which he is on pace for 50 receptions, for

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

What? The Bills have spent an absurd amount of draft capital on RBs.

The problem is that despite being by far the easiest position to fill, beane somehow has no idea how to find a good one.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Royale, I like him as a person and I like some of the amazing things he's done for the Bills, but if he were a free agent after this season (he has 1 more year), a season in which he is on pace for 50 receptions, for 900 plus yards and 7-8 TDs with JA as his QB it is crazy to me thinking that someone would still likely offer him 4 years, $50 million, $20 million guaranteed, and that would be on the low end.

I just wouldn't want the Bills to do it.

Let's see how the rest of this works out in '2, in the playoffs and in '23.

• Haha (+1) 1

Yep I’m correct:

2021:

28 points per game

129 rushing yards per game 

252 passing yards per game 

381 total yards per game 

vs 2022 much more difficult schedule 

27 points per game 

133 rushing yards per game 

263 passing yards per game

397 total yards per game

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, balln said:

Yea Dorsey running what 50 pass plays to 3 running plays in first half before td drive ?

or throwing to knox at end of game where he couldn’t make a play ? 

no edict 

I think Allen is sort of mental. Wild horse. When he’s on he’s on. When things go sidewise need a rancher (Daboll) to rope in and weather the storm until he gets back on track 

McDermott said post game that they thought the pass to Knox was worth the risk. He basically said he was involved in the decision which was the correct one. Josh just needs to run there or Knox needs to hold on to the ball that’s in his arms. 

Are you someone that blamed Daboll too? McDermott clearly has influence on what the offense does.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I agree with everything until the bolded.  If you really believe the offense is lacking because we lack talent at RB, you’ve got it all wrong.  That’s just an awful take.  Doesn’t get much worse.  

You’re on point with the rest though.  

P.S.-  we used a 2nd rd pick on james cook. The 3rd RB taken in the draft.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Yep I’m correct:

2021:

28 points per game

129 rushing yards per game 

252 passing yards per game 

381 total yards per game 

vs 2022 much more difficult schedule 

27 points per game 

133 rushing yards per game 

263 passing yards per game

397 total yards per game

Now look at the offense before and after the TB game last year. What happened in the second half that suddenly made them good?

• Like (+1) 2

We need help on OL and WR.

Which makes me believe that we have to re-sign/extend Poyer, Edmunds, and Oliver. We just can't afford to create any more holes on defense that necessitate a top 100 pick on defense. Being able to somehow retain Philips and Lawson would be a huge bonus.

Buffalo needs to grab a WR and 2 OL in the fist 3 rounds this offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

He’s not wrong, and it’s a genuine concern. The Bills seem lacking in skill position players that can be counted on. The OL has been bad at times and just serviceable at others. Not sure what was different in the first third of the season but the issues are apparent now. It’s too late to do much except hope for better coaching / scheme and much better execution and performance from players we do have. 

14 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

The part I don't get is that basically all the way up to the bye week, they looked almost unstoppable offensively.  Did teams figure us out? Did we change something?  Is it just poor execution?  It's almost a night and day difference it seems at times.

I think a lot of folks are looking at this in a vacuum.  The Bills play in the National Football League where, by design, the talent is spread around pretty equally.  Most of the games are pretty close.   No one, except maybe the Eagles, run away and hide from the rest of the league.  The Rams kind of did it last season, and look where they are now.   Having a truly dominant team in the NFL is a pipe dream; it happens, but it's the exception, not the rule.   The Chiefs almost lost to Denver yesterday, for Pete's sake.  

I agree that the Bills don't have great talent on offense, other than Allen and Diggs.  The Bills haven't gone after high-end offensive line talent, people who thought Knox and Davis were on the brink of being all-world weren't thinking clearly. 

But this team is built to be an all-purpose team, a team that can play a lot of different styles.   It's also built to emerge as good all-purpose team in December, and that's what I think we're seeing.  

What happened after the bye was just what was happening around the league.   They always say it's a copy-cat league, and what defenses around the league was copy what McDermott and Frazier are doing - stop the deep ball and explosive plays.  Get pressure with four rushers.   A lot of teams started having trouble throwing the ball, not just the Bills, and teams with quality running games started winning games.  The Bills don't have the running game to take over games, so that defensive posture has worked to slow down the Bills.  

Plus, there are a lot of really good defenses now.  The Jets and the Dolphins to begin with, and the Pats.  

Yes, but look at the Cowboys, or the Eagles.  Yup, there always is a team or two that in recent weeks has really been lighting it up.  But except for maybe the Greatest Show on Turf, you don't win Super Bowls in this era with explosive offenses.  The Patriots proved that by beating the Greatest Show and then playing great defense for 15 years, with efficient offense.  

Through 12 weeks, Football Outsiders had the Bills having played the 7th toughest schedule in the league, with the 8th toughest schedule remaining.  They also had the Bills with the number 1 DVOA.   So, if the Bills are playing a tough schedule, have the second best record in the league, and are the #1 ranked team, are we really going to moan that the offense doesn't look like something that is seen only in comic books?

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Yet, the Bills are 10-3 while playing C+ football.

It’s pretty obvious the Bills are just trying to get to the post season at this point.

I sure hope this take is correct. They need to flip that switch for MIA and CIN and can probably cruise through the Bears and Pats. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.