NFL Week #14 - Jets at Bills - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

1 minute ago, RunTheBall said:

It’s a combination of Dorsey still learning on the job and not having any elite weapons other than Diggs. 

After the NE game I thought he had see the light. Multiple formations, motion, running the ball and actually attacking a defenses weaknesses.

This gameplan didn’t attack the Jet’s weaknesses which were the middle of the field and their LBs in coverage. It worked, but it worked because our D played lights out and Allen did Allen things without turning the ball over.

Look at a play caller like Reid - he schemes open players who aren’t any more skilled than our guys on the regular. 

Dorsey doesn’t do that yet consistently. He’s got 4 more games to improve before the stakes get real high.

I would say the stakes are real high right now. While they have control of the division with the Dolphins loss, they have no room for error when it comes to the #1 seed. KC is probably running the table. I thought maybe the Raiders could beat them (rivalry game) but after last Thursday, LOL not a chance.

The Morning After Pill:

1. Matt Milano's hit on White was text book and it was the most violent, unflagged hit on a QB this season.  Kelly-era hit on a QB.

2. Replays in the stadium are poor..  You listening Buffalo Bills?  It's hard to see what happened on many plays.  With all the commercial breaks you have plenty of time to show the stadium fans replays.

3. The blocked punt was a huge play in the game as it gave the Jets a path to victory.

4. I learned today that Knox was under center when Mosely jumped Offside on 4th and 1.  Pretty cool play call.  Didn't catch that from the stands.

5. Wind was not a factor in the game yesterday. 

6. The Jets Defense plays really well together.  

7. There was one play, can't remember exactly when, where Josh took the underneath, sideline throw to McKenzie.  Gabe down field another 15 yards and begging for the ball..  Missed chance there.

8. Hines did his job yesterday.  Watching from above, the Jets gunners were routinely blowing past the Bills defenders and getting to Hines as the ball was getting there.  That kind of detail is lost when watching it on TV.

9. Josh took some pretty big hits in the pocket yesterday.

10. The helicopters that flew over the stadium were crazy low.  Low cloud ceiling forced them to fly pretty low.  From my seat in the upper deck I could see the pilots faces as they went by.  Pretty cool.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

When they lose then we can talk. Until then I don't care. Allen clearly is being coached to avoid turnovers and be more careful with the ball.

Bingo.  The Bills are playing late season, bad weather, playoff football.  Don't make mistakes and protect 2nd half leads. Against both the Vikings and Packers the Bills tried to deliver knockout blows with an aggressive passing attack only to have TO's cause one game to be closer then it should have been and to lose the other game.

Yesterday you saw the same thing in the KC/Denver game.  Up 27 - 0 the Chiefs tried to obliterate the Bronco's only to see Mahomes throw THREE INT's and almost lose the game. 

The fact is that the Bills have only two elite, game breaking players on the offense - Allen & Diggs.  The rest are solid but not spectacular.  The Bills I think were overrating their offense and it was getting them in trouble.  They are now playing complimentary football and winning games.  For the 2nd week in a row the Bills played most of the 4th quarter with a two score lead.  This is the recipe for winning games which is the only thing that matters in December & January.

• Like (+1) 7

6 minutes ago, wjag said:

The Morning After Pill:

1. Matt Milano's hit on White was text book and it was the most violent, unflagged hit on a QB this season.  Kelly-era hit on a QB.

2. Replays in the stadium are poor..  You listening Buffalo Bills?  It's hard to see what happened on many plays.  With all the commercial breaks you have plenty of time to show the stadium fans replays.

3. The blocked punt was a huge play in the game as it gave the Jets a path to victory.

4. I learned today that Knox was under center when Mosely jumped Offside on 4th and 1.  Pretty cool play call.  Didn't catch that from the stands.

5. Wind was not a factor in the game yesterday. 

6. The Jets Defense plays really well together.  

7. There was one play, can't remember exactly when, where Josh took the underneath, sideline throw to McKenzie.  Gabe down field another 15 yards and begging for the ball..  Missed chance there.

8. Hines did his job yesterday.  Watching from above, the Jets gunners were routinely blowing past the Bills defenders and getting to Hines as the ball was getting there.  That kind of detail is lost when watching it on TV.

9. Josh took some pretty big hits in the pocket yesterday.

10. The helicopters that flew over the stadium were crazy low.  Low cloud ceiling forced them to fly pretty low.  From my seat in the upper deck I could see the pilots faces as they went by.  Pretty cool.  

3. Just thank the football gods that the blocked punt went out of the back of the end zone or this game could have had a different outcome.

4. That was such a surprise that it was hard to follow live on TV. It wasn't until the replay that you could see what they did. Mosley was actually laughing about it after the fact because he had been had.

6. Yeah they do. That's a great defense. But you know that those Marrone-era teams also had a great D, some good offensive weapons but were limited at the QB position. You know what teams like that do in late January and February? Play golf.

7. When you watch the game live you see open guys that the QB doesn't see all the time. Its the nature of the game.

• Like (+1) 1

The blocked punt and safety actually helped the Bills win.  It was like a 2 point price to pay for a free kick from the 20 that put the ball much farther into Jets territory.  

If the punt wasn't blocked the Jets could have had excellent field position and an easier path to score at least a field goal.  

2 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

The blocked punt and safety actually helped the Bills win.  It was like a 2 point price to pay for a free kick from the 20 that put the ball much farther into Jets territory.  

If the punt wasn't blocked the Jets could have had excellent field position and an easier path to score at least a field goal.  

Yeah, but it was pretty much a lucky bounce that it was a safety and not recovered for a TD

3 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

As Romo stated several times, Saleh taking the FG and not going for it on 4th down was a mistake. As good as he is as a defensive coach I don't think he's a great in game coach yet. 

12 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

As Romo stated several times, Saleh taking the FG and not going for it on 4th down was a mistake. As good as he is as a defensive coach I don't think he's a great in game coach yet. 

It was late in the 4th Q. So, I can understand kicking the FG and making it a one score game again. Time wasn't on the Jets side at that point.

43 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I couldn't tell what question was asked there.  Anyone?

Jerry asked Coach if the defense was hungry to show people they could still be as good as last year without Von.   Then he followed up and asked What do you see in them?  Do you sense that it bothers them that the world thinks that without Von they arent going to be good enough.

Usual Jerry stuff.   Kind of odd because the original question was whether they could be as good as last year without Von, odd because Von wasnt here last year.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

When they lose then we can talk. Until then I don't care. Allen clearly is being coached to avoid turnovers and be more careful with the ball.

OK I will remember this.  Cool so you neuter your 250M QB during the stretch run.

1 hour ago, Spiderweb said:

One name.... Dorsey.

No we are not allowed to point out the reality here to people because they are winning.

35 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

Makes you wonder in the Minny game if a strategic safety might have been a better play than a bad exchange between Mitch & Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

When did this fanbase become so bitchy over a win against a divisional opponent who has drastically improved their coaching, culture and talent in 1 season. 

Can we enjoy every victory and stop complaining, this is a tough schedule and we are 10-3, blowing out every team, every game is not going to happen every week.  These tough games will build character and prove as valuable lessons for both (coaches and players ) in the playoffs.

Let Go BUFFALO!

• Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

Nantz pointed that out as well. Kind of similar to how Bass’s missed XP helped the Bills vs the Lions because Detroit ended up playing for the FG to tie instead of needing a TD to win 

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

OK I will remember this.  Cool so you neuter your 250M QB during the stretch run.

No we are not allowed to point out the reality here to people because they are winning.

How many games have they lost doing that? ZERO?

Thanks. I'll hang up and listen.

It appears to me that we miss Cole Beasley. It would have been great if we had someone on the roster to replicate his performance, but sure haven’t seen it yet. He was a 1,000 yard receiver with multiple third down conversions and a nightmare for defenses to cover. Don’t know if Crowder could be that guy as he hasn’t real seen the field for any time.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

It appears to me that we miss Cole Beasley. It would have been great if we had someone on the roster to replicate his performance, but sure haven’t seen it yet. He was a 1,000 yard receiver with multiple third down conversions and a nightmare for defenses to cover. Don’t know if Crowder could be that guy as he hasn’t real seen the field for any time.

Was that is the key word.  He was also a catch and fall WR last year and Was not worth the cap hit.  and why he IS out of the NFL now.

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, Greg S said:

It was late in the 4th Q. So, I can understand kicking the FG and making it a one score game again. Time wasn't on the Jets side at that point.

I actually think the lack of time made it a more egregious error to not go for the 8 points in that spot.  Not much time to get that close again - Need to trust the offense to get 1 or more yards there - And find out sooner than later whether the 2-pointer is going to work.  I mean, the outcome of a L is highly likely no matter what but seems like a golden opportunity to go for the 8 points there was squandered.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Ta111 said:

Yet they continue to win. Gee, how is that happening?

Yea I really don’t think people can wrap their head around this because their judgement is clouded by the once in a lifetime NE wind game last year lol.  The weather hurts us but it will hurt 95% of other teams more. We have a qb with a huge arm that can run the football and a very physical wr1 and we’re top 10 in rushing again.  Our defense is 4th against the run and 2nd in ppg against a pretty tough schedule 

We played a conservative game against the jets and protected the football in bad weather and won pretty comfortably.  We missed quite a few huge plays which would’ve pushed this game into blowout territory 

the jets aren’t a great matchup for us in any weather…their dline can make any offensive line look bad. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

In a way Phillips being out was helpful - he was the biggest liability against the running game the first time they played the Jets, repeatedly lost his gap and it led to big plays (including on the last GW drive).

Hope he's back for his revenge game against the Dolphins though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Absolutely!  That decision was weak!  

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

Makes you wonder in the Minny game if a strategic safety might have been a better play than a bad exchange between Mitch & Josh.

probably!  that or a pre snap huddle going over the basics of the play.  

1 hour ago, jethro_tull said:

The jets wouldn't want a field goal in that situation though, because it would still be a 10 point game. 

19 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Yea I really don’t think people can wrap their head around this because their judgement is clouded by the once in a lifetime NE wind game last year lol.  The weather hurts us but it will hurt 95% of other teams more. We have a qb with a huge arm that can run the football and a very physical wr1 and we’re top 10 in rushing again.  Our defense is 4th against the run and 2nd in ppg against a pretty tough schedule 

We played a conservative game against the jets and protected the football in bad weather and won pretty comfortably.  

the jets aren’t a great matchup for us in any weather…their dline can make any offensive line look bad. 

Agree 100% but the offense hasn't really clicked on all cylinders since early in the season. Don't we all agree? Yet, the Bills keep winning. That's a testiment to how good the team is. As a fan, I would really like to see a more dynamic, explosive, and consistent offense. This will most likely be needed to make that playoff run. I miss the long bombs to Davis and Diggs. The current offense seems to really have to work hard for every first down, yardage, and TDs. I ask how many times in the recent games did the offense have a chance to close the games out? Det, Clev, Minn, NE, and the Jets off the top of my head. The lack of offensive fire power enabled these teams to hang around. Of course the bottom line is winning and the Bills are winning. 

I just went to some other boards and here is what I found:

1. Dolphins fans are blaming everybody except Tua. They are also convinced that their offense has been "figured out."
  2. Jets fans really hate Braxton Berrios. I mean, it's Edmunds/McKenzie levels of hate.
  3. Chiefs fans are really pissed at Mahomes for the INTs (should have to walk home from Denver) and the play calling of the great Andy Reid (refused to run the ball to protect a lead)
  4. Giants fans have resigned themselves to the fact that the team is not very good
  5. Bengals fans are having an ongoing, heated argument about whether Perine is better than Mixon. They are also worried about playing a "pissed off Brady."
  6. Cowboys fans are more positive than Bills fans after almost losing to the worst team in the league
  7. Eagles fans are happy, of course, but they feel disrespected by all the attention being paid to the Niners.

I could go on, but the fact is that the types of NFL fans that post on message boards are pretty miserable. Except for Cowboys fans.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The only DBag in the media who would ask that question is Sullivan...he has to have one every year it seems.

Last year it was asking the D if they were embarrassed after the Patriot game. Right around this time of the year too.

Maybe it's something about this time of year that brings it out in him...probably hates Christmas and has issues dealing with it.

Probably looking for an "end of the year" bonus from the Gazette.

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

I just went to some other boards and here is what I found:

1. Dolphins fans are blaming everybody except Tua. They are also convinced that their offense has been "figured out."
  2. Jets fans really hate Braxton Berrios. I mean, it's Edmunds/McKenzie levels of hate.

Don't tell me let me guess - they're describing this as "wide open" and "a ball he should have caught"?

Capture.JPG

Despite this happening?

Capture1.JPG

Edited by Beck Water

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.