Why oh why are we not establishing a running game ?

Returntoglory

11 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

But Beane has nobody to blame but himself. Ford was a garbage 2nd round pick and traded for peanuts. We need to draft linemen, linemen, and more linemen before Allen gets catastrophically injured. 

Let’s not get carried away. I appreciate what our GM has created. Beane has built one of the best rosters in the league. Every team has weaknesses. Our #1 problem is OL. That has to be next, but in the meantime we need to get as far as we can this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

When are we allowed to question Dorsey’s play calling? I’m starting to question his ability to adjust. We only have Allen and Diggs, that’s it. He’s not scheming open easy throws and has all but abandoned the running game. you can get away with that when Allen is playing lights out but when he’s playing crappy there’s no adjustment.

11 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

6 of Singletary's 8 carries came on drives we scored TD's.  All the other drives he gets 2 carries and we get 3 points.

Singletary had 24 yards my dude. He ain’t it

We Scored TD’s because of Josh Running lol

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

OL is weak for sure.  I expect Dorsey to be a little more creative about this.  I mean some of it seems to be the play-calling.  Is this not something that can be improved? 

I don't love the playcalling. Haven't all year. I know the consensus has been he is an upgrade on Daboll but that isn't what I have seen. I don't see the same route combinations that make defenders make choices. I think they are getting a simpler dial on their responsibility. 

But the OL is and always has been the biggest issue IMO.

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Singletary had 24 yards my dude. He ain’t it

We Scored TD’s because of Josh Running lol

You have to udnerstand that some things are a sum of their parts.  The big picture.  If week after week you see us scoring when they run Motor more than twice then it's recognizable that no matter what his stats are running the ball makes a difference.  

Edited by Maine-iac

2 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

You have to udnerstand that some things are a sum of their parts.  The big picture.  If week after week you see us scoring when they run Motor more than twice then it's recognizable that no matter what his stats are running the ball makes a difference.  

You have to understand correlation and causation.

If we score more often when Singletary gets more than 2 carries, its probably BECAUSE it's a long drive and then yeah of course we are gonna score.

I'm sure we score more when Josh passed more than 5 times in a drive compared to less. Because we punt otherwise lmao.

8 for 24.

Edited by FireChans

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

You have to understand correlation and causation.

If we score more often when Singletary gets more than 2 carries, its probably BECAUSE it's a long drive and then yeah of course we are gonna score.

8 for 24.

So yo are saying we have longer drives when we give him more carries ......................

I think our OL sucks. It’s not terrible but it’s a little better than “meh”. I think Dawkins is good but not great. Both guards are up and down. And we still have needs at RT but we’re “serviceable”

Morse is our best OL and there is a good chance he won’t be here next year. I’d be OK with moving Dawkins inside if they find an OT they really like in the draft. I think Buffalo goes OL early and often in 23. 

35 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Because they can’t 

Dorsey can’t make the OL figure out how to block or anyone else other than Diggs learn how to get open 

Its his job to figure out a way to be balanced. The jet sweep worked, first time he’s called that all year. Where’s the screens and draws? He called a poor game, hopefully he gets better. I think he will.

The upgrade to our running game that is needed is the amount of carries.   Our OL makes mistakes in passing and running but last year and this year when we run the ball more we score more points.  Our problem has never been the RB's and whatever problems our OL has they have both running and passing but from a defensive perspective if we just throw all the time we are easier to stop.  We've shown in last season and this season.

ps

Just for the record I could care less if it's Cook or Motor just run the ball more.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Facts are facts. Yet there is a reason they picked up Cook and Hines, they want more explosiveness. It will not appear often enough until we can control the LOS. THAT is where the game is won, or lost….like today. 

I dont disagree we needed an upgrade on the oline as well. Its simply not good enough for sure. 

edit

Edited by DJB

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Because we don’t have a RB that’s why. 

How many more posters are going to continue to try and tell me that Singletaey is a difference maker and we didn’t need CMC?!?!?!

We have 3 more than capable running backs, they're not on CMCs level but no RB can thrive with just 8 carries, Singletary last season when we fed him the ball looked quite good imo, we need a recommitment to it for sure. Go with the hot hand between the 3 on game by game basis.

16 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

Its his job to figure out a way to be balanced. The jet sweep worked, first time he’s called that all year. Where’s the screens and draws? He called a poor game, hopefully he gets better. I think he will.

They ran a screen but the OL is bad.  That screen to Singletary looked like it was going to be a big gain but two OL whiffed on blocks.  It’s not as easy as saying they need to run this or that.  The fact is the right side of the OL is bad and outside of Allen and Diggs they have nothing on offense.  

5 minutes ago, DJB said:

I dont disagree we needed an upgrade on the oline as well. Its simply not good enough for sure. But don't try and tell me that Singletary is as good as CMC. That I wont agree with

I started by saying exactly that. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’m not saying Motor is CMC, but Singletary has a higher career average YPC with 4.7 vs 4.6. Pretty large sample size, too. The RB isn’t the problem.  It is the OL. Period. Yes, an upgrade would be great, but I’m not blaming the RB. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

That’s not the key to winning a championship. They win a ton of games by passing with Josh. He was bad today simple as that. You overwhelm teams with passing mixed with Josh scrambles and a few carefully placed run calls. It doesn’t work if Josh throws INTs in the red zone and misses throws. Josh was off all day, gave the ball away and Bass missed a FG. That’s why they lost. They’re not going to become a running team because that’s not what they’re built for. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

We have 3 more than capable running backs, they're not on CMCs level but no RB can thrive with just 8 carries, Singletary last season when we fed him the ball looked quite good imo, we need a recommitment to it for sure. Go with the hot hand between the 3 on game by game basis.

No we have 3 average RBs that don’t strike fear into the opposing defense

• Agree 1

As much as I love Singletary he is just not big enough to power out the tough yards, nor slippery enough to make up for his lack of size. 

Moss was a dud, Hines is a veteran presence that's versatile and the jury is out on Cook. 

But there is nothing impressive about any of our current backs. 

My God do I wish we had Fred Jackson in his prime right now....this team would be over the top. 

You don't run well 100 percent of the time that you don't run.  More importantly you become predictable 100 percent of the time you don't run.  Some teams it doesn't even matter.  Teams with a good defense you get predictable and they keep it close and sometimes you get beat.

19 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

As much as I love Singletary he is just not big enough to power out the tough yards, nor slippery enough to make up for his lack of size. 

Moss was a dud, Hines is a veteran presence that's versatile and the jury is out on Cook. 

But there is nothing impressive about any of our current backs. 

My God do I wish we had Fred Jackson in his prime right now....this team would be over the top. 

This sounds like someone who has never seen him play a down.  If you said he doesn't out run the secondary or he's not a home run back I'd kind of agree but Motor runs bigger than his size and is more elusive than most backs and there's plenty of numbers to back that up.

1 hour ago, Gene1973 said:

So is that the plan, hope that happens again?

Seems like you try to figure that out before the season starts. Not a SB contender if they can't run well when needed...

You pointed out that it last year they couldn’t run the ball at this time I pointed out that they figured it out and we’re running the ball towards the end of the season simple as that

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

This sounds like someone who has never seen him play a down.  If you said he doesn't out run the secondary or he's not a home run back I'd kind of agree but Motor runs bigger than his size and is more elusive than most backs and there's plenty of numbers to back that up.

There's not only the eye test but there is tons of advanced metrics out there that sum up what I've said. 

What kind of runner is Devon?  In between the tackles?  In open space? 

He does neither really well. 

He doesn't have enough agility and speed to make people miss and pay in space and he's a very small receiving target out of the back field. 

He can't overpower anyone when stood up.  He has one of the lowest yards after contact of all starting running backs. 

Zero homerun speed. 

These are the exact reasons we keep drafting and trading running backs. 

I got no hate for Devon, I like him a lot, but it is what it is.  He won't be here next year and you will start to see much more Cook usage moving forward. 

4 hours ago, Returntoglory said:

My God! Putting too much pressure on Allen. We have the backs. What gives???

They try to run it, but when they have couple plays that don't gain much, it's like Dorsey says the heck with it.  We have the offensive talent that we don't need to run if they choose not to, but when Josh is off, like he clearly was today, we are going to struggle.  

Edited by Billz4ever

2 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Even if we did have the best RB in the NFL what defense would care if he only got 8 carries a game?

Gotta think that would change if we had a difference maker back there. We don't run the ball because we currently cant run the ball

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.