Fanbases Most Deserving Of Success

corta765

With the Bills having some great seasons and maybe just maybe finally ending the SB drought I got to thinking of who would be next on the list if we get lucky here and finally get a SB. Buffalo is not included on this list as I would expect myself and everyone else to put us one because ... duh we got our list of grievances that is a mile long haha.

***Cleveland Browns*** - They are not included at this time for me. The whole Watson thing rubs me super bad and I went for feeling for their fans to good riddance you deserve what you get. If you can look past Watson I would expect they are 1 or 2, but for me they are in a whole different place where I have no respect for them and there are many Browns fans who do support them with Watson at QB.

1. Detroit Lions - So here are some hard and I mean hard facts. The Lions have won exactly 2 playoff games since the SB era started and none since 92. The Browns managed to move and take a three year hiatus and they have won a playoff game more recently. Losing when your good hurts, losing AND being irrelevant with no sign of light is down right maddening and depressing to a level that is unmatched. Also they managed to force retirement of two of the all time best players ever because they are so bad.

2. Minnesota Vikings - They are the inverse of the Lions with a mostly very successful history of winning but never getting a ring. Add in since their last SB loss they are 0-6 in NFC title games including the 98' and 2009' gut punching losses and yea its been heartache.

3. Cincinnati Bengals - They are now 0-3 in SBs losing all three by one score and the last two games in heart breaking fashion at the end. Add in poor ownership under Mike Brown since the early 90s, Carson Palmer losing his knee after the team finally ascended, and some brutal playoff losses under Marvin Lewis, Bengal fans have had a rough go.

4. Atlanta Falcons- 28 to 3. The greatest SB collapse ever to the most hated team in America. Besides that Falcons have been around for 57 years yet did not have back to back winning seasons until 2010/2011. Falcon fans this last decade saw a new height in season success only for awful playoff losses that amounted to eating a stick of dynamite.

5. LA Chargers- Tortured franchise that has always had great passing attacks and QBs (Fouts, Brees, Rivers, Hebert) but the only SB appearance was behind Stan Humphres in 94 for the right to get curb stomped by the 49ers dynasty. Also the 1994 AFC champ team is cursed of sorts as nine players have passed from that team and death range from suicide to plane crash to lightning strike which is sad and creepy.

6. Arizona Cardinals - The Cardinals history is a team that has been really bad going back to their time in St Louis until Warner came. Then they got a fun good team and an absolute gut punch of a SB loss. Since then the team has been much better but the end result in the playoffs has been painful. The longevity of their bad years puts them above the Titans and the SB loss above Houston.

7. Tennessee Oilers/Titans - They have had pretty good football in Nashville and ended up on the wrong side of one of the best SB finishes ever. Add in last years implosion at home against CIN and AFC title game loss a few years ago and their playoff pain is pretty high. Also franchise legend Steve McNair was murdered which in it of itself is just awful.

8. Carolina Panthers- They haven't consistently been winners in the regular season, but they have made the most of playoff losses as their 03 SB loss was tough to take while 15' may have been worse as despite Cam being MVP they collapsed on the big stage. Two SB losses by one score with both being tight at the end is the worst of the new expansions teams by far.

9. Houston Oilers/Texans - I am putting them in like this because Houston fans entire football history has had some very good teams that never got over. Despite the passion of Houston fans, no team has never made a SB while playing there. Add in the Oilers moved because Bud Adams is a jerk and the team that has replaced them has been as exciting as chicken noodle soup most years and it has been a rough go for a long time.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars- They have lost three AFC titles with one being at home to the Titans despite a 14-2 season and two on the road in NE with the loss in 2017 being incredibly controversial with the Myles Jack fumble. Outside of the late 90s/2000s success they have been doormats and a bad irrelevant. There is a fanbase here as any remote success has shown but any crew would get beaten down with the years they've had.

11. New York Jets - Without Namath's famous SB prediction and win the Jets are top 5 for pain of any franchise. While fellow division rivals have had long periods in the sun, the Jets always seem to be stuck in the mud. They have lost three AFC titles in the last two and half decades including blowing a 10-0 lead in Denver in 99'. Anytime they seem to be turning the proverbial corner they get kicked way back whether it is Vinnie or Chad getting injured or Rex being unable to restrain himself from a distraction like Tebow. Additionally they just never have had a long sustained period of success despite being in the league for over 60 years with their best period ironically being the 2000s which saw 6 playoff appearances from 2001-2010 and 2 AFC title games appearances. 

12. Chicago Bears - The SB win in 1985 only can take you so far. The Bears didn't have a "Pro Bowl" QB until Mitch Trubisky in 2018 which isn't saying much and while they have had some modestly successful seasons and notable players in the SB era success has been fleeting. Green Bay having 30 years of excellence at QB doesn't happen but this team seems forever stuck in fielding a defense that is solid and an offense which getting 20 pts is a task which isn't a good thing in today's modern NFL.

13. New Orleans Saints - The franchise had 5 total playoff appearances in the nearly 40 years before Sean Paytons arrival in 2006. They have a SB, but if there is a franchise most fans would agree got screwed by the NFL hard the Saints are up there between the harshness of bounty gate and the blatant missed PI call in 2018. At least they have a SB ring but I can understand Saint fans who feel jilted in ways especially after so many bad years.

14. Miami Dolphins - Most of their history is storied with success along the way including two SB wins and an iconic player in Dan Marino. Two decades though of very little success and a 1-15 season mixed in have Phin fans thirsting for any signs of relevancy hint the big reaction to the week 3 win over Buffalo.

15. Washington Commanders/Football/Redskins 

16. Raiders of Vegas/Oakland/LA/Oakland 

- These two franchises mirror each other as for most of their history they were model NFL teams with regular playoff appearances and three SB wins apiece before ownership derailed them in the early 2000s and since they have never gotten off the mat. Washington you got to feel for the fans as ownership has truly destroyed what was a great franchise and left it in ruins, they have a few playoff appearances since 2000 but it is nothing noteworthy. The Raiders ownership was stunted as Al Davis aged and the league passed him. In Vegas Mark Davis is a little better then pops but very eccentric and Gruden being forced out seems to have derailed some growth they started showing.

17. Philadelphia Eagles- Beating the Pats in 2018 got the Eagles the ring they've missed. They consistently have had many successful years  with rough endings including the 04 SB loss to NE when McNabb had the composure of a 7 year old and rarely seem down too long. A few more rings could move them lower in these rankings.

18. LA Rams - The franchise history is pretty strong and there first go around in LA had many good years but never breaking through. St Louis gave us three truly amazing years and then nothing until the return to LA. The McVay era has been a huge success and finally brought the Rams a title in LA. Still they have had some bad days in the past and the forced move in 94 out of LA was one of the worst things that happened to the NFL.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- They have two super bowl victories in the past two decades one with one of the all time best defenses and one with Brady balance out a history not super filled with a ton of success with just 12 playoff appearances in 48 years. Still since Dungy arrived in 1996 on they have had a good number of competitive teams and marquee players come through.

20. New York Giants - The Gman knocked off Brady and crew in 2011 again and have a single playoff appearance since then. In the SB era they have won 4 SBs and had a lot of success, but the down years have 100% been down.

21. Baltimore Colts/Ravens - The Ravens have been remarkably successful since they arrived despite not having a franchise QB until Lamar arrived. On the flip side they lost the historic Colts in the middle of the night and the history of the great franchise that was and had no football for years. Also while they did beat Pittsburgh and NE in the playoffs, they suffered some gutting losses along the way and the 2019 playoff loss at home was a pretty big gut punch. Still their success would be something the top 10 here would trade for.

22. Indianapolis Colts - They basically have the Pre Manning period which was as abysmal as its gets, the Manning period which was amazing, and post Manning period where they destroyed Luck but have had modest success. Regardless the fans in IND have seen far better days then most the 

23. Seattle Seahawks - They've had close to a two decade run of being anywhere from good to great most seasons with 3 SB appearances and 1 win in there so not many fans are crying tears for them. On the flip side why didn't you run Marshawn which seemed to end a possible dynasty that moment and their other SB loss to PIT was as controversial with ref calls as they come.

24. Dallas Cowboys - They have not made the NFC title game since 1996 which is wild as they actually have had some good seasons since then. Loved by many, hated by many Dallas use to be a beacon for NFL teams to model on the field while ownership days they seem to care more about the brand and what happens off it. They have 5 SB rings but their nearing 30 years since their last SB appearance so those who support will tell you its been a bit.

25. San Francisco 49ers - Another team with decades of winning success until 2004. Since then its either been really good or really bad and they have two one score SB losses not that many fanbases feel bad for them.

26. Kansas City Chiefs- They currently have the best QB (with Allen) in the NFL, 1 SB ring, 2 SB appearances, and 4 straight AFC title games on file with no signs of slowing. Add in a strong history of winning going back to the 80s and their AFL success in the 60s and you get a team most fans wish they had.

27. Green Bay Packers - Farve to Rodgers has given Packer fans 30 consecutive years of good to elite QB play with two SB rings and four SB appearances. Add in their dominance in the 60s and the fact Lombardi is universally beloved they do not have much to be sad about for a while other then the team failing to make more SBs with the QB play they have had.

28. Denver Broncos - Bronco fans have enjoyed seeing their team in the SB every decade since the 70s with the 2000s being the only exception and they see made the AFC title in 05. Between Elway and Manning later and not having consecutive non playoff seasons until recently, maybe Russell Wilsons current flameout is the odds balancing back.

29. Pittsburgh Steelers- Since the 1970s to today the Steelers have had a SB every decade and also appeared in at least one AFC title game every decade. They have also won a SB in the 70s, 80s, and 2000s. They have had a superb run of excellence that is unequalled and due for some down years to balance it out.

30. New England Patriots - If they went 0-17 the rest of my time on earth I would be fine with it. They had a run I don't think many of their fans truly understand how rare and dominant it was.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I can go with these three. The rest can continue to swirl around the toilet bowl on the way down.

1. Lions - Continual years of futility after Barry Sanders

2. Vikings - They were my Pop's favorite team

3. Bears - Outside of the one SB appearance this century, their fans have endured quite a bit as well. 

I would have said the Chargers if they were still in SD. Screw the LA teams.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, H2o said:

I can go with these three. The rest can continue to swirl around the toilet bowl on the way down.

1. Lions - Continual years of futility after Barry Sanders

2. Vikings - They were my Pop's favorite team

3. Bears - Outside of the one SB appearance this century, their fans have endured quite a bit as well. 

I would have said the Chargers if they were still in SD. Screw the LA teams.

Chargers are tough because I agree them moving took away my ability to emphasize as that is not their home.

4 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

For me, this list should factor in the other sports in the city. ie...Tampa Bay winning a SB and two Stanley Cups in the last 3 years would drop them significantly.

That is an interesting way to look at things, it would absolutely change things. Detroit has had a ton of success in all of their other teams to the point it is as though they made a deal with the Lions to be awful forever so the rest have good years.

I think the decade of social media bullying by Bills Mafia........starting with the infamous "Why me, God" SJ13 event that started it all.......... and has made most talking heads fear giving anything but glowing takes on the Bills has definitely negated the "deserving" aspect.    It is what it is.

So let's raise a glass to cut to the chase:

19 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Vikings now 0-7 in NFC title games after losing their last Super Bowl.  Brutal. 

My bad they are 0-6. But yea and they have had three just gut punching losses in 87, 98, and 09 where they either had the lead and blew it or could tie the game and failed to. That is killer to the max.

Edited by corta765

Bills and Lions fans

We know our story. 

As for Detroit, there are actually many, many die-hard true Lions fans out there who have never really seen any real playoff success, let alone any type of serious SB run. They had Barry Sanders and as good as he was they never went anywhere. Stafford. Megatron. Not even a deep playoff run. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

That's what they get for building a dome and giving up their frozen home field advantage! 

Yeah, but..

when they won those NFL/NFC Titles, the ensuing Super Bowls were played in nice weather.. I loved watching them play in Metropolitan Park back in the day. 
In the ice & snow, when Men played football!

gotdamit!

9076823C-266B-45FA-B87A-59DA37983295.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Bills and Lions fans

We know our story. 

As for Detroit, there are actually many, many die-hard true Lions fans out there who have never really seen any real playoff success, let alone any type of serious SB run. They had Barry Sanders and as good as he was they never went anywhere. Stafford. Megatron. Not even a deep playoff run. 

But the Red Wings have won Cups. The Pistons have won NBA championships, the Tigers won the World Series. The Lions are crap but Detroit has seen championships with other teams. 

• Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, corta765 said:

***Cleveland Browns*** - They are not included at this time for me. The whole Watson thing rubs me super bad and I went for feeling for their fans to good riddance you deserve what you get. If you can look past Watson I would expect they are 1 or 2, but for me they are in a whole different place where I have no respect for them and there are many Browns fans who do support them with Watson at QB.

Not the fans fault their team decided to bring in Watson. Many of their fans were not too happy about it themselves. But your team is still your team....

So doesn't make any sense why you would say they are not included when talking fan bases in general...imo they have had it the worst other than maybe the Lions. So I'd  say Browns fans/Lions fans would be my choice

Edited by Patrick Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Not the fans fault their team decided to bring in Watson. Many of their fans were not too happy about it themselves. But your team is still your team....

So doesn't make any sense why you would say they are not included when talking fan bases in general...imo they have had it the worst other than maybe the Lions. So I'd  say Browns fans/Lions fans would be my choice

I listed my logic for not listing them, but if I were to they are top 3 all day. If you can move past then all power to you, I can't and won't.

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

:thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I listed my logic for not listing them, but if I were to they are top 3 all day. If you can move past then all power to you, I can't and won't.

As a software engineer who deals with logic all day everyday, it makes no logical sense but if you think it does, more power to you.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Lions are top of the list for me. At least in the NFL. They're even above us if you look at it objectively.

Haven't won a playoff game since Barry was playing and have never (at least in my years of watching) had a genuinely great team. 

Yes...they have won 1 playoff game since 1957. An astounding 65 years of futility.

2 minutes ago, chongli said:

No Jacksonville? They should be high on the list, even though they are still new, relatively speaking.

I had them 10th. Of teams that haven’t won the SB it feels like everyone else has a more compelling case not that the Jags haven’t been really bad.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

I had them 10th. Of teams that haven’t won the SB it feels like everyone else has a more compelling case not that the Jags haven’t been really bad.

Jags have made 2 AFC Championship games in their relatively short existence and should have beaten NE in Foxboro with Blaine Gabbert to go to the Super Bowl the last time they were there

Edited by Big Turk

Just now, Big Turk said:

Yes...they have won 1 playoff game since 1957. An astounding 65 years of futility.

the amount of truly wild stats on other teams success compared to the lions or things in life not existing since their last division crown are just unreal.

I’ve honestly wondered what Lions fans would do if they went 11-5 and made it to just the NFC title again. I gotta believe you’d see some wild fandom

Just now, Big Turk said:

Jags have made 2 AFC Championship games in their relatively short existence and should have beaten NE in Foxboro with Blaine Gabbert to go to the Super Bowl the last time they were there

Blake Bortles but they basically are the same QB lol. I probably could’ve swapped them with Houston to move them up at least, but after that just feels like everyone else has a more compelling case.

4 minutes ago, corta765 said:

the amount of truly wild stats on other teams success compared to the lions or things in life not existing since their last division crown are just unreal.

I’ve honestly wondered what Lions fans would do if they went 11-5 and made it to just the NFC title again. I gotta believe you’d see some wild fandom

Blake Bortles but they basically are the same QB lol. I probably could’ve swapped them with Houston to move them up at least, but after that just feels like everyone else has a more compelling case.

LMAO...do the Jags haver the most sucky QB's whose names start with "Bl" in NFL history? I get those two confused

Edited by Big Turk

Cleveland - Best case scenario would be they get some good evidence on Watson and he goes to jail, Cleveland has 10 more years of sucking and so they decide to throw in the towel and move the franchise to London, and they never win a super bowl. But I'll take them continuingly missing the playoffs for all of eternity if not the first option.

Detroit deserves some success. I can't subscribe to anyone in the AFC doing well as that would interfere with our plans.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

The Canton Bulldogs, they haven’t won anything since 1923

I can't feel sorry for them.  They were the highest scoring team in the league that year and finished undefeated (11-0-1).   The only blemish on their near-perfect record was a tie against us (Buffalo All-Americans) that they 'earned' on a disputed last-second field goal.   Screw them!

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Lions are top of the list for me. At least in the NFL. They're even above us if you look at it objectively.

Haven't won a playoff game since Barry was playing and have never (at least in my years of watching) had a genuinely great team. 

Nobody is above the Bills because they represent the city of Buffalo. Detroit has won championships.  Lots of them.  Baseball.  Hockey.  Basketball.  Many of them have happened in the last two decades.  As for the Lions, they really don't deserve anything.  The Bills had great teams that ran into arguable the greatest string of coaches in NFL history.  Parcells, Johnson, and Gibbs. Unreal. 

41 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Oh duh! I only counted 30 teams besides Buffalo but I see you excluded Cleveland, and hence, didn't number them.

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yeah, but..

when they won those NFL/NFC Titles, the ensuing Super Bowls were played in nice weather.. I loved watching them play in Metropolitan Park back in the day. 
In the ice & snow, when Men played football!

gotdamit!

9076823C-266B-45FA-B87A-59DA37983295.jpeg

That is not the finger I usually get from people, so I’ll take it and call it a win! 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Detroit Lions - Just the fact they have any fans at all is truly amazing.

Cleveland Browns - But not until Watson Flames out of the league, Jimmie Haslam is no longer the owner or in prison, and the GMs new title involves the words Urinal and Cakes. None of this **** sandwich is the fans fault.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

1. Detroit Lions - So here are some hard and I mean hard facts. The Lions have won exactly 2 playoff games since the SB era started and none since 92. The Browns managed to move and take a three year hiatus and they have won a playoff game more recently. Losing when your good hurts, losing AND being irrelevant with no sign of light is down right maddening and depressing to a level that is unmatched. Also they managed to force retirement of two of the all time best players ever because they are so bad.

.Saw a guy at the gym this morning wearing a Lions t-shirt, as I passed him I was tempted to say "Sorry"

• Haha (+1) 1

Chargers are tough because I agree them moving took away my ability to emphasize as that is not their home.

That is an interesting way to look at things, it would absolutely change things. Detroit has had a ton of success in all of their other teams to the point it is as though they made a deal with the Lions to be awful forever so the rest have good years.

I've spent a lot of time in SD this year, as a midwestern native and I fell in love with the place. It's not the California stereotype I was expecting. Loved the vibe, seemed like they could back a sports team. I'm curious what it was like there when the Chargers played. They seem to love the Padres. I'm originally from Detroit area and two things I just can't get over when it comes to running a bad franchise. You had a generational talent in Barry. Then you had a generational talent in Calvin Johnson, with Stafford throwing to him no less and they couldn't do more? That is the depths of depressing. At least during our drought you could say we didn't have the right players. Imagine a team with Stafford and Calvin Johnson and you still can't build enough talent to win? Decent fan base as well.

That said, we are a definitive number one. We have fans across the country born from the early 90's who never got off the wagon. Very few fan bases are as loyal and deserving as Buffalo. It will almost be weird when we finally win one. Oddly, I think as a result of all this we have a lot of the fair weather love the last few years but I will take it. It's great seeing us being somewhat of a media darling after 20+ years of being an afterthought.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.