Green Bay claims Bills 6th round pick Luke Tenuta (T) off waivers

chongli

Should help with their OL woes. Also, how did I beat Yolo with this, lol?

A 6'9 tackle, he was waived during the Bills final cuts this pre-season, and was then claimed by Indy, who released him Saturday. He has yet to play an NFL down.

1417176081.0.jpg

Edited by chongli

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I didn’t even know he was still on the Bills. Was he? Thought they cut him in august 

They did. Then he was claimed by Indy. Then just released by them Saturday. Now on Green Bay. Pretty much Beane's only miss in the draft this year.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was a late round flyer who was never going to make the team. That’s about it

But so were Christian Benford and Baylon Spector. Beane makes most all of his picks count.

Edited by chongli

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was a late round flyer who was never going to make the team. That’s about it

Yeah, but he also didn't fit their recent profile of hyper athletic players. His athletic testing numbers were terrible and he looked like a stiff on the field too so idk what they were going for.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Smells like a desperate attempt to get some Intel on the Bills offense. 

I mean Tavon Austin is sitting out there free and clear, he spent a lot more time in offense than this guy, and they actually could use a WR. I don’t think they are getting much intel out of Judy. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I mean Tavon Austin is sitting out there free and clear, he spent a lot more time in offense than this guy, and they actually could use a WR. I don’t think they are getting much intel out of Judy. 

Heck, if they really wanted to cover their bases, they could pick up A. Smith for some D intel. Ha

9 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Hmmm… Belichick style pickup.

Are they playing the Colts? 

Tenuta has not been with the Bills since before the final cuts - not sure there is much info he could bring on the Bills.

For people wanting good OL pick-ups - this just shows how bad the OL depth is across the league that a 7th round rookie that was bad -has made it onto his 3rd roster already this season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, chongli said:

They did. Then he was claimed by Indy. Then just released by them Saturday. Now on Green Bay. Pretty much Beane's only miss in the draft this year.

So which offensive lineman would you have cut instead?  Cause to say it's a miss, then someone else would have needed to be cut.  Yeah other 6th rounders made the team, but that doesn't say they all will and the odds of that are very low. 

The others also were at positions that didn't have the depth that the O-line had.   Recall reading during pre-season from someone who commented the Bills backups on the line may be be the strongest in the league.  They are built to go deep into playoffs so doesn't make sense to cut experienced players to keep a 6th round rookie.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So which offensive lineman would you have cut instead?  Cause to say it's a miss, then someone else would have needed to be cut.  Yeah other 6th rounders made the team, but that doesn't say they all will and the odds of that are very low. 

The others also were at positions that didn't have the depth that the O-line had.   Recall reading during pre-season from someone who commented the Bills backups on the line may be be the strongest in the league.  They are built to go deep into playoffs so doesn't make sense to cut experienced players to keep a 6th round rookie.

I agree with all of your points. It's impossible to be perfect. But In an ideal world, we would trade an unwanted 6th rounder we didn't have room for, like we dis for Wyatt Teller (drafted in the 5th).

12 hours ago, chongli said:
Should help with their OL woes. Also, how did I beat Yolo with this, lol?

YOLO is staking out the Buffalo Airport today waiting for CMC to show up

27 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Haha, trying to get some intel on the offense

Or ... to play WR. They need all the help there they can get

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, chongli said:

I agree with all of your points. It's impossible to be perfect. But In an ideal world, we would trade an unwanted 6th rounder we didn't have room for, like we dis for Wyatt Teller (drafted in the 5th).

They may have tried to trade him, but got no offers.  Teller if you recall had already played one full year and had meaningful game action that other teams could go on. 

Also possible guys like Tenuta, Benford, and Spector were all drafted with the idea of hopefully hiding them on the PS for a year and maybe by next season, they'd be ready.  I'll bet if you asked Beane May 1st (though he'd never publicly state this) how many of those three did he think would make the roster he'd have thought none.  But both Benford and Spector showed too much in pre-season to chance on slipping to PS. Plus those two positions didn't have much depth.

My point being, not sure late round picks are selected for trade bait, more to slip onto the PS squad for a year, then they are either ready, or cut/trade. But sometimes the player is better than expected and makes the active roster.

Overall point calling Tunuta a miss as others have stated is a big over exaggeration.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, mrags said:

Matt Araiza says hi………….. from jail 

I actually didn't consider him a miss, from a playing standpoint, at least. Ariaza effectively made our final roster (as you know, we had already released Haack), but we had to release him due to an unfortunate allegation.

Edited by chongli

9 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Has anything more come out about this??  Kind of surprised nothing more been posted.

Nothing I’ve seen. I’m still hoping he comes out of this clean and back on the team next year. But I understand it’s a long shot for either. 

7 minutes ago, chongli said:

I actually didn't consider him a miss, from a playing standpoint, at least. He effectively made our final roster (as you know, we had already released Haack), but we had to release Ariaza due to an unfortunate allegation.

He is a miss if you account for not doing your homework on the situation. It’s clear the information was out there 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I didn’t even know he was still on the Bills. Was he? Thought they cut him in august. What’s the significance 

He wasn't on the Bills.  The Colts claimed him off waivers, and just waived him in turn.

My thinking is @Boatdrinks called it, trying to get some info on the Bills blocking calls and schemes.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I could be wrong, but I think the roles and tendencies of the WR and the RBs are fairly easy to pull off film, but the details of the blocking and the protection calls are more obscure.

But I could be wrong and maybe they just need a tackle and like him.

1 hour ago, chongli said:

Teller had NFL game film, having started 7 games at guard as a rookie.  That's what gave him trade value going into his 2nd season.

Just now, MiltonWaddams said:

As I recall, he has somewhat of a pivoting fashion of play. Kind of a turn style.…

Yeah, he didn't look too promising, but they might have put him on the PS.  Colts claimed him off waivers.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

I know he was a late rounder, and those players rarely pan out anyway, but...

The Bills should've never drafted Tenuta anyway. Nothing about him said "good developmental project" other than his being enormous.

If they were set on drafting a developmental offensive line prospect at that point in the draft, I'd rather have seen them draft a guard or center prospect, at least. Finding an eventual starting level guard that late in the draft seems much more likely than finding an eventual starting level tackle.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

They may have tried to trade him, but got no offers.  Teller if you recall had already played one full year and had meaningful game action that other teams could go on. 

Also possible guys like Tenuta, Benford, and Spector were all drafted with the idea of hopefully hiding them on the PS for a year and maybe by next season, they'd be ready.  I'll bet if you asked Beane May 1st (though he'd never publicly state this) how many of those three did he think would make the roster he'd have thought none.  But both Benford and Spector showed too much in pre-season to chance on slipping to PS. Plus those two positions didn't have much depth.

My point being, not sure late round picks are selected for trade bait, more to slip onto the PS squad for a year, then they are either ready, or cut/trade. But sometimes the player is better than expected and makes the active roster.

Overall point calling Tunuta a miss as others have stated is a big over exaggeration.

I agree. I am guessing he was drafted with the thought of developing him on the practice squad for a year or two like they’ve done with other late round picks.

I think it’s too soon to say for sure that he was a missed pick. He obviously didn’t make the roster but I don’t think that means he’s a missed pick. He could still eventually end up back on our practice squad and/or develop into a backup or starter. Time will tell.

It might have been best for him if he did stay here with our coaching staff. But he was claimed off waivers. Twice now. Obviously other teams see something in him that’s worth developing.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.