SB is Great Expectations, But We Need to Execute Better During The Season

ArtVandalay

All this talk about Super Bowl expectations and I agree this team is built for it and that is the proper expectation at this point. 

HOWEVER, this team went only 11-6 last year, if not for the extra game we would have been 10-6, that's not good enough for a Super Bowl front runner. 

We need more consistency and focus during the season. We can't lose 9-6 against the Jaguars, we can't get our doors blown off against the Colts at home, and we can't be a no show in the first half like we did vs Tompa.

We got hot at the right time down the stretch starting in the 2H of the TB game, but down the stretch we faced only 1 winning football team and that was NE. We had the focus vs Panthers, Falcons, and Jets but we should have beat those tomato cans. We had to expose Allen to running more to get there so I hope we solve those run game issues this year. 

All in all last year we were only 5-5 vs teams with a winning record in the regular season last year, 6-6 including playoffs, we need to do better if our expectation is Super Bowl. This falls on both coaching and players to prepare and execute. 

Our goal right now is #1 seed, bye, and home field advantage. With only 1 bye available with the expanded playoffs, #1 seed is even more important. And with the scheduling rules matching is up with last year's division winners, those games vs KC and Cinci are playoff games and should be approached that way. Those games will determine our seeding and home field for the playoffs. 

There is no just happy to be here. We need to be out for blood every game. 

I hope Josh Allen absolutely shreds Jalen Ramsey tonight. Stick it to every hater, everyone that ever doubted you, laughed at you, looked at you the wrong way, smirked, we obliterate them all. Starts tonight.

This year I want the foot on the gas, killer instinct from this team. No letting teams like Atlanta hang around into the second half. No playing down to Jacksonville. Blitz the hell out of teams no sitting back with leads. 

What improvement are you looking for from this team this year?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 2

Last year was the proverbial down year after reaching great heights the year earlier. The opener the offense looked cocky and it bit them hard. The seemed as a team to get it together until the KC game and after they seemed to let up until TB 2nd half. From then on they were fine and the team everyone expected but they cost themselves the 1 seed because of it.

With that said they were 0-6 in one score games a year after being 7-1 in one score games. Statistically after a good year you go down, but the Bills really swung further then norm. Some of it was luck as the Allens trip against the Titans doesn't happen and they win that, others were poor performance PIT/JAX.

Regardless I do not doubt they've learned their lesson and they will play for blood. You mention 11-6 isn't good enough but if you check the SB winning records over the last decade you'd see the 2011 Giants were 9-7, 2012 Ravens 10-6, 2018 Pats 11-5, & 2020 Bucs 11-5. I wouldn't get too hung up on record, win your division and hope for the 1 seed, regardless though come playoff win and get some luck thats it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

Last year was the proverbial down year after reaching great heights the year earlier. The opener the offense looked cocky and it bit them hard. The seemed as a team to get it together until the KC game and after they seemed to let up until TB 2nd half. From then on they were fine and the team everyone expected but they cost themselves the 1 seed because of it.

With that said they were 0-6 in one score games a year after being 7-1 in one score games. Statistically after a good year you go down, but the Bills really swung further then norm. Some of it was luck as the Allens trip against the Titans doesn't happen and they win that, others were poor performance PIT/JAX.

Regardless I do not doubt they've learned their lesson and they will play for blood. You mention 11-6 isn't good enough but if you check the SB winning records over the last decade you'd see the 2011 Giants were 9-7, 2012 Ravens 10-6, 2018 Pats 11-5, & 2020 Bucs 11-5. I wouldn't get too hung up on record, win your division and hope for the 1 seed, regardless though come playoff win and get some luck thats it.

All this is 100% spot on.

The question is whether the Bills are really the inconsistent 11-6 team that we saw last year.  Losing to the Jags, Steelers and Patriots.

Or were they playing down to inferior opponents, and didn't quite get mentally right until the last quarter of the year?

I think most people believe the latter.  Hence the high expectations for this season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

We need to be more consistent running the ball.  Not that I want to throw less but we were so one dimensional on offense for a long time.  Allen is not going to be elite in 17 games, we need to win on offense in more than one way.

We got good pressure but it wasn't as a unit consistently.  One guy would get through but the other 3 wouldn't so a good QB could evade/slide away from pressure and get the ball off.  The pocket wouldn't collapse, just one part.  This is where Miller comes in...he creates so much attention and now we need to have people like Oliver and Rosseau win their one on one battles.

We need to be more stout in the middle and I think we addressed that.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Agree 1

We can't go 0-6 in 1 score games.  In fact, its remarkable we we lost every one score game.  I do not expect that trend to continue.  

Having a true closer on D will make a world of difference.  I think this defense with Von and the improved interior Dline can take a lot of pressure off of Allen.  I probably should be worried about secondary but Levi and Dane held their own with Tre out of the lineup and I don't think Benford and Elam are a downgrade from Wallace.  McD//Frazier's scheme puts our CBs in position to succeed.

My big concern remains the offensive line.  Last year, this was the reason for the slow start on Offense.   Talent wise, slight edge to this year's line.  Continuity and injuries remain an issue.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

We can't go 0-6 in 1 score games.  In fact, its remarkable we we lost every one score game.  I do not expect that trend to continue.  

Having a true closer on D will make a world of difference.  I think this defense with Von and the improved interior Dline can take a lot of pressure off of Allen.  I probably should be worried about secondary but Levi and Dane held their own with Tre out of the lineup and I don't think Benford and Elam are a downgrade from Wallace.  McD//Frazier's scheme puts our CBs in position to succeed.

My big concern remains the offensive line.  Last year, this was the reason for the slow start on Offense.   Talent wise, slight edge to this year's line.  Continuity and injuries remain an issue.

I actually feel a bit better about the secondary with Levi gone myself.

1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I actually feel a bit better about the secondary with Levi gone myself.

My concern isn't about losing Levi as much as it is starting two rookies while Tre'Davious is out.  But I liked what I saw in preseason and what I have read so far about Benford and Elam.  They'll get toasted here and there but they have good safety help and I expect to see a legit pass rush this year.  Plus Edmunds, who is basically still a rookie, is projected to be an amazing coverage linebacker.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

My concern isn't about losing Levi as much as it is starting two rookies while Tre'Davious is out.  But I liked what I saw in preseason and what I have read so far about Benford and Elam.  They'll get toasted here and there but they have good safety help and I expect to see a legit pass rush this year.  Plus Edmunds, who is basically still a rookie, is projected to be an amazing coverage linebacker.

They aren't starting 2 rookies. Thought it's only Elam starting with Jackson and Johnson.?

3 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

They aren't starting 2 rookies. Thought it's only Elam starting with Jackson and Johnson.?

Correct.  I worded that poorly.  Trying to articulate that its unclear which rookie will get the official start at this time and I expect both Benford and Elam to play meaningful snaps opposite of Jackson.  I predict 60/40 Benford over Elam tonight.  I do not expect to see Benford and Elam on the field at the same time tonight unless injuries become a factor.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

All this is 100% spot on.

The question is whether the Bills are really the inconsistent 11-6 team that we saw last year.  Losing to the Jags, Steelers and Patriots.

Or were they playing down to inferior opponents, and didn't quite get mentally right until the last quarter of the year?

I think most people believe the latter.  Hence the high expectations for this season.

The first NE game is honestly a outlier last year because the weather was so stupid. The two following games kinda showed what would've happened.

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Correct.  I worded that poorly.  Trying to articulate that its unclear which rookie will get the official start at this time and I expect both Benford and Elam to play meaningful snaps opposite of Jackson.  I predict 60/40 Benford over Elam tonight.  I do not expect to see Benford and Elam on the field at the same time tonight unless injuries become a factor.

I got ya. If I'm not mistaken, I thought I saw that Elam is getting the start.? 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The Playoffs are an entirely different subject 

I believe that the Bills executed well enough last season. 

you do know that not every team is perfect 17 weeks 

The Bills played like absolute crap in their home opener last year.  They (offense) also played like crap vs. Jacksonville.

Those two games made the difference between the AFCCG being in Buffalo and the AFCCG being in Kansas City.

They need to win close games (they did not last year) and they need to beat the piss out of inferior teams (aforementioned PIT and JAX games from last year).

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The Bills played like absolute crap in their home opener last year.  They (offense) also played like crap vs. Jacksonville.

Those two games made the difference between the AFCCG being in Buffalo and the AFCCG being in Kansas City.

They need to win close games (they did not last year) and they need to beat the piss out of inferior teams (aforementioned PIT and JAX games from last year).

you didn’t catch the update Gug

you do know that not every team is perfect 17 weeks 

I blame coaching 

Daboll & play calls and McD going for a Win over a tie and he Lost both times. 

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yup, I feel like when looking at how stacked the AFCW is this year,  we may have a better shot at getting that home field this time because they are going to bet the breaks off each other.

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

All this talk about Super Bowl expectations and I agree this team is built for it and that is the proper expectation at this point. 

HOWEVER, this team went only 11-6 last year, if not for the extra game we would have been 10-6, that's not good enough for a Super Bowl front runner. 

We need more consistency and focus during the season. We can't lose 9-6 against the Jaguars, we can't get our doors blown off against the Colts at home, and we can't be a no show in the first half like we did vs Tompa.

We got hot at the right time down the stretch starting in the 2H of the TB game, but down the stretch we faced only 1 winning football team and that was NE. We had the focus vs Panthers, Falcons, and Jets but we should have beat those tomato cans. We had to expose Allen to running more to get there so I hope we solve those run game issues this year. 

All in all last year we were only 5-5 vs teams with a winning record in the regular season last year, 6-6 including playoffs, we need to do better if our expectation is Super Bowl. This falls on both coaching and players to prepare and execute. 

Our goal right now is #1 seed, bye, and home field advantage. With only 1 bye available with the expanded playoffs, #1 seed is even more important. And with the scheduling rules matching is up with last year's division winners, those games vs KC and Cinci are playoff games and should be approached that way. Those games will determine our seeding and home field for the playoffs. 

There is no just happy to be here. We need to be out for blood every game. 

I hope Josh Allen absolutely shreds Jalen Ramsey tonight. Stick it to every hater, everyone that ever doubted you, laughed at you, looked at you the wrong way, smirked, we obliterate them all. Starts tonight.

This year I want the foot on the gas, killer instinct from this team. No letting teams like Atlanta hang around into the second half. No playing down to Jacksonville. Blitz the hell out of teams no sitting back with leads. 

What improvement are you looking for from this team this year?

Truth.

And do you know what people say about Truth?

It’s that Truth is like poetry. 

And no one likes poetry. 

Edited by BarleyNY

2 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

removed text***

I agree if we are for real, and learned lessons from last year, plus the additions, we should do exactly what you say. Put it to the floor and don't let up all season long.

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They need the offensive line to be more consistent this year… that was the reason they lost to inferior opponents last season… their line got blown the ***** up against both Pittsburgh and Jacksonville.

As long as all five starters remain healthy throughout the season, it's all good.

If even one goes down - hang on to your butts.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We have two starting new guards.  Bates I think only started 5 games.

Yeah I fully expect the OL to be improved from last season. As for tonight though, I think just about any teams OL would have their hands full with A. Donald. So this will be a good test for them early

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

As long as all five starters remain healthy throughout the season, it's all good.

If even one goes down - hang on to your butts.

Well even if one does happen to miss some time, I would still feel a little better knowing that it will not be C. Ford filling in

Consistency is the key. How do you blow out KC but then lose to the Jags? Josh played poorly vs Atlanta too and had to resort to running around like he did his rookie year when he had no idea what to do with the ball. Too many high highs and low lows to be a consistent team. It was either a blowout or a tough loss. Need to win those 1 score games and beat the teams you are supposed to beat

10 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

It's all on the coaching...if you ask me.

I am not sold on McDermott as a championship caliber coach

Let's hope he proves that he is this season

What gives you that feeling? When did you start to feel that way? 

Or was it only after the way they lost the KC playoff game that made you not sold?

Yeah, I would like them to do better in the regular season.  Specifically not lose to the Jags/Pittsburg.  "Only won 11 games" though?  Only two other teams in the AFC did better by winning 12 games and neither of them went to the Superbowl.  The 10 win team went to the superbowl.  Id like to see the Bills do better in the final 13 seconds of a football game is what I would like to see.  Sure, its easier to get to the show by getting the #1 seed but thats still no guarantee.  The Bills needed to win that KC game.  Playing it at home doesnt mean they would have won it.  

Edited by Scott7975

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.