McCloud, Tenuta, Tanner Owen, Kingsley Jonathan claimed off waivers

YoloinOhio

47 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Further evidence re: State of OL play in the NFL

For all the hand wringing here, at least we're not in a position to where we need to claim Luke Tenuta or Tanner Owen. 

Don’t tell Scottlaw, his brain will explode…, 

• Haha (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I was hoping we could keep McCloud on our practice squad due to our lack of depth at the position.

Tenuta and Owen are developmental guys with no ability to play this year 

Kingsley Jonathan stood out on a number of pass-rushing reps and was the only one of the UDFA d-lineman who looked like an NFL caliber player.

I agree on Jonathon.  Not surprised somebody took a flier on him.  

I thought Anderson was more likely to be claimed than Owen.  But here we are.  The fact that Tenuta and Owen were claimed speaks to the lack of OL depth in this league. 

38 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I was told that Tanner Owen was garbage.

Owens, like many young players has talent and upside, but needs development.  Buffalo has guys with talent who are far more developed.  They just don't have room on the 53 man roster.  Talent poor teams always have room.

1 minute ago, uninja said:

Everyone here freaking out about OL depth needs to look around at other peoples rosters. Our backup OLs have a lot of NFL experience and more than 100 combined starts. The same cannot be said for most other rosters. 

That and Doyle and Brown could both be Howard Ballard types. 

Ppl really don't understand how good our backup oline is, especially with kromer 

• Agree 1

McCloud is not a surprise. I think he was darn close to making this roster. Just a numbers game and the Giants know him and are thin in the secondary. 

Kingsley Jonathan will be a blow to the Bills I believe they really liked him as a developmental rusher and he was a lock for the PS. 

To lose Tenuta, a draft pick, might hurt too. I think he would have been back on the PS but he really, really struggled in pre-season. I think Alec Anderson, and UDFA, went past him on the depth chart. 

Tanner Owen, meh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Wonder if we put a claim in on Jack Anderson? Suspect we might have. Obviously the Giants are ahead of us on the waiver wire.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You know what's funny about this board's obsession with Isaiah Hodgins is that if Kumerow were cut he almost certainly would have been claimed. Every team prioritizes special teams for their depth players. It isn’t unique to Brandon Beane.

This.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You know what's funny about this board's obsession with Isaiah Hodgins is that if Kumerow were cut he almost certainly would have been claimed. Every team prioritizes special teams for their depth players. It isn’t unique to Brandon Beane.

Jake the Snake has been cut by the Bills 4 times since 2020.

He was even signed by the Saints last year..... then cut.

Lmao

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Wonder if we put a claim in on Jack Anderson? Suspect we might have. Obviously the Giants are ahead of us on the waiver wire.

This.

Isn't it like the draft where each team claims then it goes back to the start? Or is it each team gets to claim everyone they want at the same time?

Sorry, this is the first time I've followed pre-season this closely!

23 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

I guess they think he's better than Right Josh

Like a lot of college QBs he showed a lot and he stayed in college 4 years so maybe they believe he had potential.  He is record holder at Texas A&M.

They might have insider who knows people at Texas A&M or think his game style matches QBs they have better.

Plus he is cheaper.

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Kumerow would not be claimed. He is a FA.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/3/13/22975993/jake-kumerow-contract-details-and-the-nfls-veteran-salary-benefit

When the Buffalo Bills re-signed wide receiver Jake Kumerow, they did it in the cheapest way possible, per Spotrac’s reporting. That means that Kumerow really wanted to be in Buffalo and also that the Bills were able to convince him to take the lowest possible contract.

Kumerow will make $1.035 million in base salary, the minimum for a player with more than four years of service in the NFL. His cap hit won’t be that same number, though. Instead, he will only count $895,000 against the cap—the same number as a second-year player in the NFL.

Buffalo is utilizing the veteran salary benefit, formerly called the minimum salary benefit or the veteran minimum benefit, it allows older players to play at a reduced salary-cap hit in order to make it more likely for them to stick on a roster as opposed to the team going for a younger player merely for the cap savings.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Lmao

Has he? I think he has been cut twice. At the end of 2020 after his TD against the Broncos. That is when the Saints claimed him. They cut him after their playoff run ended. 

He then was re-signed by the Bills. Made the roster last year from the start and was on it all year. He signed a new deal earliee this spring and then, with him no longer subject to waivers because of his vested seasons, they cut and re-signed him on the next day in June as a procedural roster move to make cap space.

The other two might be in 2020 the Bills used two of the free game day elevations. They do not count as cuts when a player reverts to the PS afterwards. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Lmao

I forgot he can't even be claimed because he is a veteran. My point still stands. WRs that don't play special teams don't get claimed unless they are able to start at WR.

7 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Isn't it like the draft where each team claims then it goes back to the start? Or is it each team gets to claim everyone they want at the same time?

No, if the giants claim 5 guys they get all 5 if no one above them also claimed 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

No I think each player passes through waivers in the same order. If the Jags claimed on 25 waived players they'd be awarded all 25 I believe. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Has he? I think he has been cut twice. At the end of 2020 after his TD against the Broncos. That is when the Saints claimed him. They cut him after their playoff run ended. 

He then was re-signed by the Bills. Made the roster last year from the start and was on it all year. He signed a new deal earliee this spring and then, with him no longer subject to waivers because of his vested seasons, they cut and re-signed him on the next day in June as a procedural roster move to make cap space.

The other two might be in 2020 the Bills used two of the free game day elevations. They do not count as cuts when a player reverts to the PS afterwards. 

Are they not available for claiming at this point? 

I thought they were.

Transactions

Transaction, fine, and suspension data since 2002

June 17, 2022: The Buffalo Bills signed WR Jake Kumerow.

June 16, 2022: The Buffalo Bills released WR Jake Kumerow.

January 18, 2021: The New Orleans Saints released WR Jake Kumerow.

January 9, 2021: The New Orleans Saints waived WR Jake Kumerow.

December 26, 2020: The New Orleans Saints signed WR Jake Kumerow.

December 26, 2020: The NFL placed WR Jake Kumerow on the exempt list.

December 24, 2020: The Buffalo Bills waived WR Jake Kumerow.

December 2, 2020: The Buffalo Bills signed WR Jake Kumerow.

December 2, 2020: The Buffalo Bills released WR Jake Kumerow.

November 25, 2020: The Buffalo Bills assigned WR Jake Kumerow to the practice squad.

November 10, 2020: The Buffalo Bills assigned WR Jake Kumerow to the practice squad.

September 5, 2020: The Green Bay Packers released WR Jake Kumerow.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Yet every year this board goes through the same panic routine over some depth skill player.

Some (not all) of those panics were warranted in the bad old days when this team was not in a position to let young/projectable talent slip away just so we could keep some special teams ace. 
Now the shoe is on the other foot. Other rebuilding teams can and should raid us for those young projects. 

20 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Are they not available for claiming at this point? 

I thought they were.

Transactions

Transaction, fine, and suspension data since 2002

June 17, 2022: The Buffalo Bills signed WR Jake Kumerow.

June 16, 2022: The Buffalo Bills released WR Jake Kumerow.

January 18, 2021: The New Orleans Saints released WR Jake Kumerow.

January 9, 2021: The New Orleans Saints waived WR Jake Kumerow.

December 26, 2020: The New Orleans Saints signed WR Jake Kumerow.

December 26, 2020: The NFL placed WR Jake Kumerow on the exempt list.

December 24, 2020: The Buffalo Bills waived WR Jake Kumerow.

December 2, 2020: The Buffalo Bills signed WR Jake Kumerow.

December 2, 2020: The Buffalo Bills released WR Jake Kumerow.

November 25, 2020: The Buffalo Bills assigned WR Jake Kumerow to the practice squad.

November 10, 2020: The Buffalo Bills assigned WR Jake Kumerow to the practice squad.

September 5, 2020: The Green Bay Packers released WR Jake Kumerow.

You can be claimed off a PS at any time so yes, sure they are claimable. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Minor clarification: I don't believe there's any actual claim process for practice squads.  Any player on a PS can sign with any team if offered a contract, but if a PS player didn't want to go to another team, they could turn down said contract.  In practice, that only happens if the current team is willing to match the contract and sign the player to the 53-man roster, but theoretically if a guy REALLY didn't want to move he could opt to stay on the PS.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Cash said:

Minor clarification: I don't believe there's any actual claim process for practice squads.  Any player on a PS can sign with any team if offered a contract, but if a PS player didn't want to go to another team, they could turn down said contract.  In practice, that only happens if the current team is willing to match the contract and sign the player to the 53-man roster, but theoretically if a guy REALLY didn't want to move he could opt to stay on the PS.

They can't if their original team promoted them. In that sense there is a process. Because the original team can stop it. It isn't exactly like the claim process though, that is fair.

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So my dude could have been claimed, by any team in the NFL, 5 times since 2020?

51 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I forgot he can't even be claimed because he is a veteran. My point still stands. WRs that don't play special teams don't get claimed unless they are able to start at WR.

They do if they are good WR's. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

They can't if their original team promoted them. In that sense there is a process. Because the original team can stop it. It isn't exactly like the claim process though, that is fair.

I'm pretty much nitpicking, to be honest.  My understanding is that hypothetically, the Browns could offer a contract to Raheem Blackshear or whomever, and Blackshear could technically turn it down and opt to stay on the Bills' practice squad.  Now, this is an insane scenario, because Blackshear's agent would calmly explain to him just how dumb that would be, and also would leverage that offer to the Bills.  So in reality, you'd either see the Bills sign Blackshear to the 53 to keep him, or the Bills would let him walk and Blackshear would sign with the Browns.  Especially since PS poachers have to keep the player on their 53-man roster for I think 3 weeks.  No one is going to turn down 3 game checks when the alternative is 3 PS checks.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Not at all. He can't separate and he isn't strong enough to play special teams. He's a classic training camp star who occasionally makes a great catch but can't consistently get open at real game speed.

That's a good breakdown. He couldn't get open at Oregon State either but he has some size and good hands.  

40 minutes ago, Cash said:

That's correct 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

He wouldn't be claimed because he isn't subject to waivers, but he might have been signed by someone.

I think it speaks well of the Bills talent evaluation. - yeah all late round picks that have some chops, but:

Anderson - now on third team

Johnson - same

wildgoose - same

McCloud - same

Who gets cut when we add:

1. Punter - this week or next ?

2. Tre - one month from now ?  

3. Ike B - either one month or season-ending IR are the choices with that achiilles 

GR radio says Bills have singed to PS (so far) :  Love (DE) Bryant (DT) Blackshear (RB)

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

So my dude could have been claimed, by any team in the NFL, 5 times since 2020?

They do if they are good WR's. 

Kumerow isn't getting claimed for his ability as a WR. No debate there. But since he was last "claimable" he has established himself as a reliable core special teamer. Those guys get claimed even though you think special teams don't matter. The NFL thinks you are wrong. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.