Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Does anyone honestly think kim, beane or mcd would keep this dude around for talent? i trust them to do the right thing. if they cut ties tmrw, i dont believe itll be due to pressure, but some new finding. if they cut him, i think itll be for the right reasons. if they keep him on board and stand behind him, it will have nothing to do with talent, and everything to do with sticking up for "family" catching an unfair backlash. theyre not going to walk out of this is hypocrites to the lockerroom. the media might, but that wont matter. thats soooooooo engrained into mcd. stand up for what you believe is right, is the man i see him as. either way.

All I am saying is I think you’re giving them a bit too much credit, insofar as we do not know the quality or thoroughness of their own investigation. That’s why I brought up the Browns. I think (or want to think) the Pegulas have a better moral compass than someone like Jimmy Haslem. But again, I don’t know, and I suspect you don’t either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Does anyone honestly think kim, beane or mcd would keep this dude around for talent? i trust them to do the right thing. if they cut ties tmrw, i dont believe itll be due to pressure, but some new finding. if they cut him, i think itll be for the right reasons. if they keep him on board and stand behind him, it will have nothing to do with talent, and everything to do with sticking up for "family" catching an unfair backlash. theyre not going to walk out of this is hypocrites to the lockerroom. the media might, but that wont matter. thats soooooooo engrained into mcd. stand up for what you believe is right, is the man i see him as. either way.

Ngl, if McDermott believes in Araiza.. believes he’s innocent here, I could see him going to war for him.  He’s not the “he’s a punter, just cut him and move on” type. 

Inevitably Beane may have to make the call for him, but McDermott is 100% about integrity … and like it or not, but cutting a guy simply because he’s a distraction flies counter to that.   

• Agree 6

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

According to her lawsuit, she did

If true, that's statutory rape right there. 

If she told people she was 18 (my kid was 18 as a senior in HS) then he may have a "mistake of age" defense

According to witnesses, she stated she was 18 on multiple occasions

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

interesting thing is that the accusers attorney also says they don’t have the tapes, so this is just his client’s recollection of that call. The tapes will be key. 

So this is totes vague, but I seem to recall Mike Florio (who started his career as a practicing litigator) talking about criminal vs. civil suits. 

And my vague recollection is that he said that criminal evidence can not necessarily be used in a civil proceeding - that law enforcement is not obligated to release it for that purpose.  But that testimony or evidence presented in a civil proceeding could be brought into a criminal trial.

Can any of our lawyers here confirm or deny?

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Just my opinion but I think they have enough info that they expect this to be work out in his favor. Otherwise he would of been cut before this even hit the news cycle. 
and as of tonight, he’s an active player and can play. Maybe the league decides before game time to put him on the exempt list but as of now he’s an active player 

Yeah it seems that way as more info is coming out

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Ngl, if McDermott believes in Araiza.. believes he’s innocent here, I could see him going to war for him.  He’s not the “he’s a punter, just cut him and move on” type. 

Inevitably Beane may have to make the call for him, but McDermott is 100% about integrity … and like it or not, but cutting a guy simply because he’s a distraction flies counter to that.   

that can be a great quality for a coach to have. But that is when you need your levelheaded GM or owner to step in without the rose colored glasses and make the proper decision to cut bait.  McDermott doesn’t have to be the bad guy. And maybe shouldn’t be in this case. Could fall on the Pegula’s or Beane.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Fair enough...

But, Bills knew in July and still cut Haack.

Was it Araiza that did it? I gotta wait for more facts to come out.

Regardless. Someone did and there are people blaming her both here and on other social media accounts saying this is partially her fault because she was at that party and “lied about her age”. 

1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah it seems that way as more info is coming out

Tomorrow will be quite interesting.

Im sure the Bills knew that this would drop, and when it did, it would be rough .. but if they thought this could be a drawn out messy legal battle and/or Araiza did some awful stuff, I can’t imagine they would’ve kept him. 

You deal with that initial dumpster fire if you know the facts are on your side and you can take control of the narrative. 

Or maybe we’re just way off on how buttoned up the FO is… hopefully that’s not the case. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

All I am saying is I think you’re giving them a bit too much credit, insofar as we do not know the quality or thoroughness of their own investigation. That’s why I brought up the Browns. I think (or want to think) the Pegulas have a better moral compass than someone like Jimmy Haslem. But again, I don’t know, and I suspect you don’t either.

95% of my conviction here comes from sean and kim. i trust them to do what they 100% believe to be right. regardless of what they do, i trust them and think theyve  earned it. if they make a decision and turn out to be wrong, they still get my benefit of the doubt. i dont know mcd personally obv, but of anyone that i dont intimately know, i cant think of a more high caliber human. i believe in his leadership, and the locker room does too. 

(generally agree with you though, mcd decision process is capped by our investigative team)

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Agree 1

Terrible if it's true, and the men involved should serve prison time if proven true. But the amount of virtue signaling on social media is unbearable. We have minimal facts so far, but anyone who says "let's hear all the facts first" gets blasted and is somehow gets cast as siding with rapists. None of us have all the facts and evidence, how are there so many judge and jurors on social media? Since when is wanting to hear all the facts calling the woman a liar? Seems like no one can wait to gather info to form their opinion, you have to speculate and scream your opinion on social media to compete for who's most virtuous.

• Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s sad how many people here are out of touch with reality. Maybe cause most have no idea of the life of popular people and how things go. I can totally see a situation where this guy had no ill intent and things ended up going south cause of actions of his teammates. I’ve been in that position. The number of people so quick to rush to judgement and want this kids career over before it started over an allegation like this is very alarming and shows where we are at as a society. People are simply impatient and care more about how things look and sound than what the reality actuality is…Smdh.

Now having unprotected sex knowing you have an STD isn’t cool at all. But what rapist would inform their victim of that the next day? Or even voluntarily have a conversation with them? I’ve heard enough to be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 8
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I dunno 🤷‍♂️.  I have the impression that it's not uncommon in college towns with a big party culture, for high school girls to crash them.

It’s not.  It’s people here seemingly wanting to make Matt guilty of something before all the facts are known have decided to now die on that hill as if consensual sex between a senior in high school and someone in college is comparably the same as violently raping someone against their will.  

By those standards, I too would also be a victim of “rape” here in CA given I was 17 and sleeping with a girl who was 20 and even turned 21 while we were still hooking up…and she wasn’t even in college, just worked at Sizzler with me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

thats what a good leader does man

Surprised Ariaza is still around… Don’t make it complicated… Don’t get lost in the legal weeds… Facts aside, he doesn’t pass the McDermott character test… and is a distraction to the team… Have to believe Goodell was consulted on the advisability of keeping Ariaza before the Bills cut Hauck… but the story got out and the PR damage will force their hand… It’s all about the brand for Goodell… and on the season for the Bills… Gone by next week, my bet…

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 5

17 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Just my opinion but I think they have enough info that they expect this to be work out in his favor. Otherwise he would of been cut before this even hit the news cycle. 
and as of tonight, he’s an active player and can play. Maybe the league decides before game time to put him on the exempt list but as of now he’s an active player 

It's been said elsewhere that the league can't discipline him for this, under the CBA, because it happened before he got drafted.

It's a point that they may expect this to work out in his favor.  Anyone else remember the Shady McCoy home invasion charges by his ex-girlfriend, Delicia Cordon?  Google Delicia Cordon Home Invasion and they'll come right up....they were gruesome and there was an outburst of outrage here. 

It quickly came out that McCoy could prove he was no where near there, though the allegation was he masterminded it. 

But the Bills stood by McCoy.

The whole thing squibbed.  Police never came up with enough evidence to file charges against anyone and in fact stated that there were inconsistencies in the stories from "both sides".  The woman's camp tried to stir up the NFL to investigate by claiming she had evidence McCoy doped.  That never went anywhere.  The civil lawsuit she filed was quietly settled some time later, with confidentiality agreements.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

95% of my conviction here comes from sean and kim. i trust them to do what they 100% believe to be right. regardless of what they do, i trust them and think theyve  earned it. if they make a decision and turn out to be wrong, they still get my benefit of the doubt. i dont know mcd personally obv, but of anyone that i dont intimately know, i cant think of a more high caliber human. i believe in his leadership, and the locker room does too. 

hey don’t get me wrong I want to agree with you too about Terry and Kim especially. And they could turn around tomorrow and cut the guy. I just don’t know for certain what they learned on their own before today, what surprised them, or to what extent they know something that contradicts the allegations in the plaintiff’s complaint. 

McD must be blowing his stack over this though. 

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

hey don’t get me wrong I want to agree with you too about Terry and Kim especially. And they could turn around tomorrow and cut the guy. I just don’t know for certain what they learned on their own before today, what surprised them, or to what extent they know something that contradicts the allegations in the plaintiff’s complaint. 

McD must be blowing his stack over this though. 

Could count the veins in that head lol

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

How does such a defense get entered if he doesn't even claim it?  She was clearly underage.  He can claim he reasonably thought she was of age without stating so in court?  

Let me repeat myself: he doesn’t have to prove it.

11 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Terrible if it's true, and the men involved should serve prison time if proven true. But the amount of virtue signaling on social media is unbearable. We have minimal facts so far, but anyone who says "let's hear all the facts first" gets blasted and is somehow gets cast as siding with rapists. None of us have all the facts and evidence, how are there so many judge and jurors on social media? Since when is wanting to hear all the facts calling the woman a liar? Seems like no one can wait to gather info to form their opinion, you have to speculate and scream your opinion on social media to compete for who's most virtuous.

I'd just like to point out here that many of us here who have said "I need to see how this plays out" and "need the facts" are not, in fact, being blasted or cast as siding with rapists.

So there might be some detail about HOW the "let's hear all the facts first" opinion is stated that leads to that outcome

6 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

So it’s partially her fault she got too drunk at a party and was gang raped? 

and people wonder why rape victims don’t come forward. 

Are we sure she got raped? Like was it proven already or just going off her saying she was? Legit question because I honestly don't know.

But for sentence in bold, what if there was consent and she don't remember because she was too drunk? 

21 minutes ago, StHustle said:

It’s sad how many people here are out of touch with reality. Maybe cause most have no idea of the life of popular people and how things go. I can totally see a situation where this guy had no ill intent and things ended up going south cause of actions of his teammates. I’ve been in that position. The number of people so quick to rush to judgement and want this kids career over before it started over an allegation like this is very alarming and shows where we are at as a society. People are simply impatient and care more about how things look and sound than what the reality actuality is…Smdh.

Now having unprotected sex knowing you have an STD isn’t cool at all. But what rapist would inform their victim of that the next day? Or even voluntarily have a conversation with them? I’ve heard enough to be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Browns fans have been saying exactly this for the last 3 months

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Are we sure she got raped? Like was it proven already or just going off her saying she was? Legit question because I honestly don't know.

But for sentence in bold, what if there was consent and she don't remember because she was too drunk? 

Too drunk = no consent

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Believer said:

Surprised Ariaza is still around… Don’t make it complicated… Don’t get lost in the legal weeds… Facts aside, he doesn’t pass the McDermott character test… and is a distraction to the team… Have to believe Goodell was consulted on the advisability of keeping Ariaza before the Bills cut Hauck… but the story got out and the PR damage will force their hand… It’s all about the brand for Goodell… and on the season for the Bills… Gone by next week, my bet…

You're correct about "all about the brand" for Goodell and PR damage....

....on the other hand, highly talented domestic abusers like Tyreek Hill have been drafted, re-offended, and gone unpunished or had their hands slapped

I'm curious about the "doesn't pass the McDermott character test" conclusion, though.  I consider myself fairly naive, but I have the impression that parties with lots of drinking and hooking up going on are pretty common around college campuses with football teams.   I'd be unsurprised if, when this news broke, ~ half the team didn't clutch their privates and say "yikes, that coulda been me accused of similar once upon a time" - not the whole gang-rape thing, but a sexual encounter with a young woman who might have been a bit too drunk to consent and/or might have been under the age of consent.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Not sure about you, but I know people who have been in he-said/she-said one time sexual situations.  

I don’t know anyone who’s been a serial masseuse sexual harasser. 

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'd just like to point out here that many of us here who have said "I need to see how this plays out" and "need the facts" are not, in fact, being blasted or cast as siding with rapists.

So there might be some detail about HOW the "let's hear all the facts first" opinion is stated that leads to that outcome

Meant on social media mainly twitter. That's why I actually came to this platform, much more level heads.

• Thank you (+1) 1

If criminal charges are brought Araiza is probably done regardless if he is innocent or not. I am curious to hear more about this phone call that was made at the direction of the police. It states that Matt confirmed they had sex. The women asks him if they had actual sex. He then says this is Matt Araiza and he doesn’t remember what happened that night. Doesn’t make much sense based on what was reported unless he got suspicious that he was being setup.

Just now, SCBills said:

Not sure about you, but I know people who have been in he-said/she-said one time sexual situations.  

I don’t know anyone who’s been a serial masseuse sexual harasser. 

Read the quote. 'benefit of the doubt', 'this is what happens to famous people' etc etc

I feel very comfortable staying consistent w my takes. Would love to see what some of the posters here said about Watson and the Browns

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Read the quote. 'benefit of the doubt', 'this is what happens to famous people' etc etc

I feel very comfortable staying consistent w my takes. Would love to see what some of the posters here said about Watson and the Browns

apples and oranges. 1 allegation vs. 20+ (that we know of.) 

Edited by JoPoy88

13 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

Well, Deshaun got 11 games for over 20 allegations. Araiza should get maybe half a game for 1 accusation? Is that right Mr. Goodell?

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

BUT... I think up thread someone pointed out that The League can NOT discipline him according to CBS due to  the incident happening before the draft.

Apples and oranges when comparing to Watson. 

• Thank you (+1) 1