Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

46 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Now having unprotected sex knowing you have an STD isn’t cool at all. But what rapist would inform their victim of that the next day? Or even voluntarily have a conversation with them? I’ve heard enough to be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I applaud most of your sentiment about give him the benefit of the doubt, don't rush to judgement, people care more about how things look than what really happened.

But as for "what rapist would inform their victim or voluntarily have a conversation with them...." google "Vanderbilt rape case".  One of the rapists actually played for sympathy from the rape victim: "he told me that I had gotten sick in his room and he had to clean it up and that it was horrible and that he had to spend the night taking care of me and it was horrible.” In response to hearing this, she said, “I apologized. I was embarrassed." (this was a gang rape there was absolutely no question about - surveillance video showed the guys carrying the unconscious victim into the room and the rapists actually took photos and videos of what they did).

So no, the willingness to talk to the victim the next day is not exactly evidence to support giving the benefit of the doubt.

Edit: the case I'm talking about https://www.si.com/college/2015/02/09/vanderbilt-rape-case-brandon-vandenburg-cory-batey

Edited by Beck Water

2 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

True or not, I expect better of Beane than to even consider drafting a prospect with this kind of potential baggage… Especially a friggin punter… No punter is worth this kind of bad press, they’re barely football players in this first place.

Even a punter that can punt you outta your own 10 down to the other team's 10 yard.  Again, call me crazy, but that's one heck of an asset... Hence my ghost of Chuck Knox comment!

Just saying... 

4 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

True or not, I expect better of Beane than to even consider drafting a prospect with this kind of potential baggage… Especially a friggin punter… No punter is worth this kind of bad press, they’re barely football players in this first place.

I don't think anyone has claimed the Bills knew about this "baggage" when they drafted Araiza.

4 hours ago, jkirchofer said:

I would. For an organization who preaches culture and has shied away from drafting and signing players with character issues or previous legal trouble I would expect them to practice what they preach. 

I swear it is like clockwork with you.

Whenever something comes up that looks bad for the Bills, you are always here leading the charge and questioning the culture that McDermott & Beane have brought to the team.

I don't think I have ever heard you have one positive thing to say about this team. Nothing about how this team is a playoff/Super Bowl contender, or about players that we have signed to better this team. I don't think I've ever seen you talk about the games.

I question if you are even a Bills fan at all. Just admit that you hate Beane & McDermott and stop wasting your posts on us.

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

not a defense of Araiza, just saying the allegations, by number, severity, and/or timing, aren’t really comparable.

So I take one football player accused of gang raping a high schooler and hold him to the same standard as another football player accused of 24+ cases of sex assault. And then I compare how I feel about them. Turns out I feel similarly. How's that for comparable

In the interview with arazia's attorney at 5:30 he says "I can't speak for the other two because I think at least one of them are in a very different situation than mr arazia"

Is that suggesting she was raped later in the night by someone other than arazia after having consensual sex with him? I really want to know what beane knows. 

5 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

They may not have known in April.   Sounds like they first got wind of this mid to late July. 

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So I take one football player accused of gang raping a high schooler and hold him to the same standard as another football player accused of 24+ cases of sex assault. And then I compare how I feel about them. Turns out I feel similarly. How's that for comparable

I am with you, but was it really him?  Or did he aid in the act... Etc... We just don't know YET.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

We don't know about Watson either

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I am with you, but was it really him?  Or did he aid in the act... Etc... We just don't know YET.

We don't know about Rothlisberger either, or OJ for that matter.

• Disagree 2

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Read the quote. 'benefit of the doubt', 'this is what happens to famous people' etc etc

I feel very comfortable staying consistent w my takes. Would love to see what some of the posters here said about Watson and the Browns

So you’re comfortable ruining a persons life, condemning him now, before you actually have any real knowledge or facts on whether he’s actually guilty?  

I mean you literally don’t know squat about this case because literally none of us do.  Nobody here has conducted an investigation.  

So anyone casting judgement now is premature.  Not one person here will object to cutting him and seeing him face criminal charges if he’s guilty.  But many of us are not going to decide he’s guilty without having literally any info or facts to be able to make a qualified opinion on the matter.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

So you’re comfortable ruining a persons life, condemning him now, before you actually have any real knowledge or facts on whether he’s actually guilty?  

I mean you literally don’t know squat about this case because literally none of us do.  Nobody here has conducted an investigation.  

So anyone casting judgement now is premature.  Not one person here will object to cutting him and seeing him face criminal charges if he’s guilty.  But many of us are not going to decide he’s guilty without having literally any info or facts to be able to make a qualified opinion on the matter.

Lol why do you care if I think he's guilty? I don't care if you think he's innocent.

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Cutting a player ruins their life? How? If he's innocent he'll find another team at some point. We're about to cut 30 players, so I sure hope not.

I'm very comfortable cutting a player who's credibly accused of sexually assaulting a minor.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Haze_21 said:

In the interview with arazia's attorney at 5:30 he says "I can't speak for the other two because I think at least one of them are in a very different situation than mr arazia"

Is that suggesting she was raped later in the night by someone other than arazia after having consensual sex with him? I really want to know what beane knows. 

certainly what he wants you to infer. His client is no longer at school and on the Bills. One other guy is still at school and apparently on the football team. The other is no longer on the team or enrolled at the college.

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

“ruining a persons life” are you serious? That is a laughable statement. You get cut from an NFL team and your life is ruined? He can be cut, all this can sort itself out and he can sign with any team that offers him, and no one’s life is ruined.

good thing haack didn’t win the punting job or we would have had to cut Ariaza and his “life would be ruining” by your stance.

Edited by iccrewman112
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Cutting a player ruins their life? How? If he's innocent he'll find another team at some point. We're about to cut 30 players, so I sure hope not.

I'm very comfortable cutting a player who's credibly accused of sexually assaulting a minor.

Are you really that naive that you thought he meant that only him getting cut is gonna ruin his life? He meant ruin his life in general. An allegation like this can cause a bunch of problems in his life in multiple ways. Not just possibly ruining his sports career

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, iccrewman112 said:

“ruining a persons life” are you serious. You get cut from an NFL team and your life is ruined? He can be cut, all this can sort itself out and he can sign with any team that offers him, and no one’s life is ruined.

good thing haack didn’t win the punting job or we would have had to cut Ariaza and his “life would be ruining” by your stance.

You know what can actually ruin someone's life? Getting gang raped.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Lol why do you care if I think he's guilty? I don't care if you think he's innocent.

First, no one is saying he’s innocent.  Waiting until the facts are known is not saying someone is innocent.  

But we live in a country where our rights are we are innocent until proven guilty.  

But people on the internet would rather ruin a persons life at a moments notice before they even know the facts.  It’s honestly not only ignorant but pathetic that people would invest so much time into ruining someone before they even know if they deserve it.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Haze_21 said:

The LA times article about the law suit seems to imply Arazia’s intercourse was consensual but he subsequently took her to a bedroom and threw her face first down on the bed.   He may not have raped her at either time but at a minimum he may have been complicit in the rape by his teammates.   Again, just my interpretation of the article. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

Are you really that naive that you thought he meant that only him getting cut is gonna ruin his life? He meant ruin his life in general. An allegation like this can cause a bunch of problems in his life in multiple ways. Not just possibly ruining his sports career

Well then maybe he shouldn't have ***** a kid? The bills aren't able to ruin his life by any action they take. He did that all on his own.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1

14 minutes ago, Haze_21 said:

I really want to know what beane knows. 

We never will. Regardless of how this goes I don’t think it’s something he will ever give the real details on. He will just give the “we did our homework and felt comfortable” or the other version “once we discovered the information we let him go” 

But he’s never going to publicly tell us the behind the scenes for this one. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But people on the internet would rather ruin a persons life at a moments notice before they even know the facts.  It’s honestly not only ignorant but pathetic that people would invest so much time into ruining someone before they even know if they deserve it.  

Do you believe cutting Matt Ariaza because the bills organization doesn’t want to deal with this regardless of the outcome ruins Matt Ariaza’s life? 

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Well then maybe he shouldn't have ***** a kid? The bills aren't able to ruin his life by any action they take. He did that all on his own.

It was said by many at the party that she had told him that she was 18. It's not on him to ask her for her driver's license to prove otherwise. It's on her to be honest about her age. If she really said she was 17 and he still went along with it, then he is 100% at fault

• Vomit 1

Do you believe cutting Matt Ariaza because the bills organization doesn’t want to deal with this regardless of the outcome ruins Matt Ariaza’s life? 

No I do not.  If he is shown to be innocent then he doesn’t deserve to lose his job because someone else saw an opportunity.

• Agree 1

If they believe him, then they should deal with it.  If they don't, then cut him.

This has nothing to do with the Bills being inconvenienced. Life is an inconvenience.  

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

First, no one is saying he’s innocent.  Waiting until the facts are known is not saying someone is innocent.  

But we live in a country where our rights are we are innocent until proven guilty.  

Maybe don't gang rape high school girls then

• Eyeroll 2

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This has nothing to do with the Bills being inconvenienced. Life is an inconvenience.  

Antonio Brown was an inconvenience.

NFL teams get rid of inconveniences all the time. We hear the phrase “can’t have a distraction for the team” 

8 minutes ago, iccrewman112 said:

“ruining a persons life” are you serious? That is a laughable statement. You get cut from an NFL team and your life is ruined? He can be cut, all this can sort itself out and he can sign with any team that offers him, and no one’s life is ruined.

What if he’s proven innocent?  Condemning a man now to guilt of a crime he did not commit is ruining his life.  You can’t be serious with this being about just getting cut.  You know how hard it’s going to be for him to shake this even if proven innocent?

Seriously, how short sighted does one have to be to think it’s just about whether he gets cut or not?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

You're rushing to judgement.

He's accused of that.  Not saying she's lying... But what if he's a patsy and she's getting him confused with other's.  There's other's involved here. 

Like I said...Deshaun Watson has zero convictions. I'm still ok judging him.

Just now, iccrewman112 said:

Antonio Brown was an inconvenience.

NFL teams get rid of inconveniences all the time. We hear the phrase “can’t have a distraction for the team” 

Fair enough....But Brown got a bunch of chances.  Bills obviously knew this week's ago and still cut Haack.  They know more than we know.

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No I do not.  If he is shown to be innocent then he doesn’t deserve to lose his job because someone else saw an opportunity.

It's highly unlikely that it will ever be possible to prove he is innocent. The best we'll get is a lack of evidence to convict. You hiring OJ at your place of work? After all, he wasn't convicted either.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Eyeroll 1

27 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

As Bills fan we have to let it play out and all the facts come in. I know, I know... Sounds sleazy, did Blackhawks give up on Pat Kane, Steelers on Ben Roethlisberger? Etc... 

Roethlisberger is fortunate that his cases happened in 2010 and not 2016 or later.  

The climate is much different now, post-Brock Turner.