Broncos at Bills Preseason Game Day thread.

11 minutes ago, PolishPrince said:

Not sure how you can say he "isnt good at any of them" meanwhile we just extended him. Luckily we havent had to use him a bunch except for goal line scenarios and his blocking has been decent. The thing I think you are missing is having Gilliam suit up allows you to add the additional linemen like Doyle last year to lineup as "extra tight end." But having Gilliam allows you to run a goal line FB, and not need to suit up 3-4 RB's because he can fill in if absolutely needed... unless you think Doyle can be RB3 due to injury. Having a versatile piece like Gilliam is why we could get away with only dressing 1 TE last year. Having him fill 3+ positions allow you the flexibility of sitting or dressing up extra positions as needed for the matchups.

Again our team also values special teams and he ALSO fills that role which other guys like Doyle or Duke Johnson wont fill

Except Gilliam is never RB #3.  That was Jones.  You can line up Kyle Williams in the goal line set if you want.  Multiple guys can play that role.  We just disagree on the value of the FB in the NFL.  It's ok we just have different opinions.  And mine doesn't matter because Beane and McD value Gilliam more than I do.

It's a moot point. He was extended and he isn't going anywhere.  But his roster spot has consequences and that consequence is probably one less capable WR.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

The Bills can protect a certain amount of players from being poached can't they?

I don't remember the exact rule. 

I think they can protect 3 players on the PS, but they have to clear waivers in order to be even signed to the PS in the first place.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

They were in instant replay going over the previous play when the Punter hit the field and I thought "if Araiza comes out, the crowd is going to cheer. If Haack comes out, I'll hear boos".

Soon as I heard the boos, I knew what was up. I don't get it. He's a veteran. You don't need to show him off for the rest of the league. They know what they're getting with him if he's out there.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Wondering how they'll keep Blackshear. Cannot make him practice squad, he's pretty good.

the cut down wire will have opposing GM's salivating over the talent the Bills will try to stash on their Practice squad. It's the time when you just have to trust the McBeane brain trust  decisions  on who to keep.  I tend to think youth will win out when push comes to shove come final roster cuts. But then you think about a guy like Shaq Lawson who may well be on the bubble and I think how can we NOT keep him...it's going to be brutal . The chatroom will be buzzing either way  no doubt.

• Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Wondering how they'll keep Blackshear. Cannot make him practice squad, he's pretty good.

Yeah, you can. He's an Undrafted Free Agent playing well against other Undrafted and Practice Squad players. You see guys like that across the league in Pre-Season.

Highly doubt he's going to get signed to someone's 53 man roster. If he does, good for him. But we only keep 3 RB's on the 53 (plus a Fullback and Taiwan Jones who is core Special Teams and a RB in name only).

Regardless of how he's looked - you're not keeping him over Devin Singletary, James Cook, or Zack Moss. He'll replace Antonio Williams on the Practice Squad.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.