AZ cuts Jordan Phillips - now signed by Bills

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s not going to miss any games unless there is a set back. He might be on a pitch count though early on.

Again Dane Jackson filled in very well. They need to replace Wallace. I’m pretty sure we’ll see a veteran CB signed soon plus a draft pick or 2.

You think Dane did well enough to possibly take over Levi's spot at CB2?

9 minutes ago, Mikie's Bills said:

Pass rushing unit:

Miller/Oliver/Phillips/Rousseau

Much higher ceiling than previous years' groups.

I think Settle will be in there for the pass rushing group myself, with Phillips rotating in with Oliver.  

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Well enough to let Wallace walk for pennies. The Bills have wanted to upgrade that position for a while. I think there’s going to be a 1st or 2nd round pick competing with Dane. Plus a veteran. I also think they trust Dane to play if White has a setback.

• Agree 2

Just now, junior said:

Dude's heart has been here since he arrived:

I forgot how level he is off the field for how much energy he has on it.

3 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I mean he filled the role since White went down.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Well enough to let Wallace walk for pennies. The Bills have wanted to upgrade that position for a while. I think there’s going to be a 1st or 2nd round pick competing with Dane. Plus a veteran. I also think they trust Dane to play if White has a setback.

Agree...Dane really proved himself...

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

I mean he filled the role since White went down.

I'm well aware, why I said I think he may take over Levi's CB2 spot imo

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure Ryan Talbot is that reliable as a source.  Who are his sources?

The Bills DL is looking kind of crowded -

DE - Miller, Rousseau, Epenesa, Basham

DT - Lotulelei, Jones, Oliver, Settle

We have some developmental guys and we should consider picking up another 1TDT if we want to move on from Lotulelei - but Jordan Phillips is NOT a 1TDT

I think he's pretty reliable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yes.  They had Dane playing CB1 and left Wallace as CB2.

Sal talked a lot about this.  They Bills brass felt very comfortable with having White and essentially Johnson as the de facto #2 covering the slot.  The outside CB#2 typically has help with the 2 safeties.  

In the KC game - multiple times Jackson held his own and Wallace was out of position - including the huge catch at the end.  That was on Wallace.  They were ready for Dane to take over and they already have younger depth.

If things go well and BPA is a CB - all the better, but I think they will look for 1 more CB before the draft, but it does not need to be a big name - just depth.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

For me Dane did well being effectively the number 2 corner and if this team has many glaring needs elsewhere I would roll with him as the CB2 and just draft depth or a cheaper veteran. But for a team with Super Bowl aspirations they will need to burn a pick early at CB or go with a more proven veteran to compete with Dane.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I'm less excited about this than pretty much every other Bills Fan, but the overall structure of this DL is looking really good. It's a much much better group from top to bottom than the mediocrity we got last year.

I'm highly ambivalent myself.  We're now pretty long in the tooth on DL, and it's hard to develop young guys with veterans taking their snaps. 

OTOH no question but what the Bills had a better pass rush/pressure in 2019 than since. And I do love the man.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

For me Dane did well being effectively the number 2 corner and if this team has many glaring needs elsewhere I would roll with him as the CB2 and just draft depth or a cheaper veteran. But for a team with Super Bowl aspirations they will need to burn a pick early at CB or go with a more proven veteran to compete with Dane.

I think they do both....draft a CB and bring another that's available. 

Just now, Super Mighty said:

I wonder who will get #97 - Phillips or Settle? 

Hahahahahaha No contest

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I think they do both....draft a CB and bring another that's available. 

We pretty much have to.  For one thing, we were thin in reserves last season, now we're barren.

For another, see other post where I pointed out timeline for White to RTP after the 9 month window would be mid-September - the likelihood of re-injury is 7x higher before 9 months.  So we need someone who can lock it down until he's back.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We pretty much have to.  For one thing, we were thin in reserves last season, now we're barren.

For another, see other post where I pointed out timeline for White to RTP after the 9 month window would be mid-September - the likelihood of re-injury is 7x higher before 9 months.  So we need someone who can lock it down until he's back

Agree, writing is on the wall. That is why I was quoting in a different thread where some posted about drafting WR in 1st round. Anything can happen between now and then, but I think it's a little more likely they go CB in round 1 instead WR. Also to add ,WR's seem to be a deep class this year. 

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If they bring in a more proven vet I think they draft a CB round 3-5 and not high up.

I'm not sure, but I don't know if there's a vet available that is "proven" enough to be no more than average at best. Like I said though, don't know what will become available later. Guess it depends on what extent one considers "proven" to be.

Main point being I'm not sure a vet CB (that's available at this time) is proven enough that would make them not take a CB early

9 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I feel more confident in Ryan Bates and his limited sample size than I do in Dane Jackson. 

Well, good thing we're getting Tre White back and drafting a CB in the first 1-2 rounds and probably more late.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Agreed. Maybe wrong thread, but Dane Jackson did acquit himself well, and if all of this DL spending (again) doesn't improve the pass rush, then there are bigger issues.

The problem is there is 0 guarantee Tre White is ready opening day, or that he immediately returns as Tre White.

If Tre misses time, who is the other day 1 starting corner? Who is depth?

CB is a huge area of need now for a team with Super Bowl aspirations, and may be relying on journeymen or rookies.

7 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Watched Dane play a lot, living in Pittsburgh.  He won't disappoint.  I think Hamlin was a steal too, he will be ready to step up down the road too.

We need to add a 🙏 emoji for statements like these. I hope/pray that’s the case!

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think that JP coming back sends a message that if you follow the process, and leave on good terms, there may be a home for you here in the future.  Agree or disagree with Beas, he was a distraction to the team.  It's been reported that there were "layers" to what was going on, so it's possible that players will take that as an example when coming here. 

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I just watched his press conference, wow he seemed far more mature than I remember. Or maybe he's different on the field/sidelines!!!

Sounded in that presser like he’d be running a book club on the sidelines.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.