Packers and Rodgers agree to deal. 4 year 200 million

BillsMafi$

I'm not saying the Packers had any other choice, but I have a hard time seeing them as a Superbowl Champion going forward:

-He got paid a lot before, but now with this new deal the Packers will have even less money to fill around him.  Highest paid QB in the league means they have even les s money to improve other positions than anyone else, of course including KC, Buffalo.

-As great as he was/is, in all the time he was a starter, in his last couple MVP seasons, they only one one Superbowl and failed in the playoffs not even reaching it most of the time.

-Hes not getting younger. Will he hit a brick wall because of his age? probably not, but a contract like that you give to someone who is at their peak, or maybe still leading up to it.  The best of Rodgers (at least physically) is no longer yet to come during this deal.

He will likely still be great (at least for a year or two), he may very well be an MVP candidate, but this doesn't make me worry about the Packers as being a dominant team to beat.

10 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Jordan Love hasn't shown enough for any team to be interested in trading for him.  GB doesn't have to do anything with him until the 2023 season.  Right now, their best option is to keep him for another season & figure a way, either in preseason or a season finale with a locked in playoff spot, to increase his market value because right now it isn't much.  Plus they would have to find a new backup QB.  

No matter how bad this year's class is, none of them has played as poorly in the NFL as Love has.  

Maybe, but with as many as 8-10 teams dying for a QB - especially a cost controlled QB - and few to none being available - I could see several teams look at Love as an option.

Denver has his former OC, the Saints need a QB option on the cheap and with that division- they could win.  The same goes for both Carolina and TB.  Heck Atlanta could look to trade Ryan and get younger.  Washington is looking for a QB, Detroit needs to replace Goff, Pittsburgh and the Colts have to replace Veterans that are not coming back.

Also - this is the year to trade him before the option is required.  You give a team a year window to decide if they want to exercise the option or not.  You have the time to figure it out now - rather than having to rush a trade next year.

Plus after Covid - this is the deepest draft ever in several key positions - so even getting a mid second is netting you a nice WR potentially that can help immediately.

If this was the Allen QB draft - with potentially 5 or 6 QBs with 1st round potential - I would hold on and showcase Love, but with as few as 2-3 1st round QBs and maybe only 1 top 10 pick and that might be a stretch - Love becomes potential for several other teams - especially in a QB friendly system.

I just don’t think that showcasing him helps the cause much - get what you can and use it in a deep draft - at least that is what I would try to do.

10 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

The reply chain originally started with someone saying Rodgers can’t win in the playoffs

He is definitely more of a regular season QB, that’s why he is not in the conversation of GOAT.

6 minutes ago, Rico said:

He is definitely more of a regular season QB, that’s why he is not in the conversation of GOAT.

He’s better than Brady in nearly every statistic in the playoffs on a per game and per throw basis and has led his offense to more points per game in the playoffs. Wins are the only team stat that matters. They aren’t a QB stat.

• Eyeroll 1

50 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Sure, the owners are filthy rich, but the NFL does not give teams an unlimited amount of money to spend on their team every year. I listened to Brandon Beane this morning on WGR talk about how the Bills are currently over the salary cap and have to figure out ways to not only get under the cap, but have money to sign their own UFA’s and their upcoming draft class. There’s no doubt Rodgers is a great QB, but is $50M a year worth it for a player who still holds a grudge against his team for drafting a QB in the first round instead of getting him help at WR?! Sure, Rodgers wins a lot of games, it also helps having to play twice a year against a mediocre Vikings team, a Bears team (who were mediocre up until this past year, now they suck) and a perennial loser in the Lions. Spending that much on a 38 year old who’s still mad at his own team is not a wise move. Packers will never get over the hump and make it back to the Superbowl with moves like this (NFC Championship game at best).

I don’t disagree with what you are driving at, but the bottom line is that the money is for all intents and purposes no big deal, Green Bay knows fully that when AR is gone they will be an also ran team for a while, so for them they may as well sell out while they are contenders for a potential SB trophy, the money really doesn’t matter. It’s just bookkeeping gymnastics. 

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Wow.   I'm not a contract or cap guy, but this seems to me to be a big mistake by the Packers.   

I think Rodgers is something of a loose cannon.  Certainly a prima donna.  He's a spectacular player, to be sure, but I'd bet that by his second season under this deal, he'll be a problem.  

Pack can't start Jordan Love in 2022, or in 2023.  After the 2022 season, Pack will have to decide whether to extend Jordan Love, and after 2023 they'll have to decide whether to extend him.  Have they already decided that Love isn't the guy?    Maybe they'll trade him. 

I don't know.  Just seems like there are a lot of problems built into this deal.  

Great deal for Rodgers.   $143 guaranteed.   Nearly $80 million after tax.  He doesn't need a nickel of it, so his children and grandchildren, if he ever has any, will be set for life.  

And if he's unhappy after a year, he can force a trade to a team that needs a QB to make a serious Super Bowl run.  

I have to agree with everything in this post.  The Pack is desperately trying to get Rodgers back to a Super Bowl and is following the Rams' approach of going all-in for their target year.  

With this contract, Rodgers becomes trade-proof, I think.  No one will want to pay him whatever the back end of his contract calls for, and the dead money for GB would be enormous.  

Jordan Love has spent enough time on the bench to be ready to take over somewhere.  His trade value is diminished by the fact that he's burned through two years of his cheap rookie contract, so other teams would prefer to draft their own QB and get a full 4-5 years of cheap QB play.  I feel sorry for that guy who likely won't ever get his chance unless Rodgers gets hurt.

15 minutes ago, dneveu said:

He has fewer MVP awards than Manning, will probably never catch brady in passing yards, and only has 1 super bowl.  Better than Brees/Rivers/Ben - but worse than Manning/Brady. 

Rodgers might be the Most Valuable Player but he's not the Best Quarterback.  By the time his contract runs out, he'll be an afterthought for postseason honors.

2 hours ago, bills6969 said:

4 years 200 mill

thats a lot of guac for a guy that can’t get the job done in the playoffs.

When Kirk Cousins can dream of 40M a year, I am sure the reigning MVP can dream 50M

24 minutes ago, dneveu said:

He has fewer MVP awards than Manning, will probably never catch brady in passing yards, and only has 1 super bowl.  Better than Brees/Rivers/Ben - but worse than Manning/Brady. 

So in other words, still one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

And Peyton Manning was 7-13 in the playoffs outside his two Super Bowl winning years...

What's your point?

First off, Rapistburger blew that Superbowl against the Packers by throwing two INT’s.

Second, Rodgers is a head case. He’s still holding a grudge against the Packers for drafting Jordan Love in the first round instead of getting him WR’s.

Third, when Manning left the Colts, he went to the Broncos and they had a loaded offense, along with an elite defense.

Fourth, with $50M dedicated to one player, how are the Packers going to be able to get key FA’s to get them over the hump? 

Until Rodgers gets back to another Superbowl, he’s just a glorified Tony Romo with a Superbowl under his belt, meaning, he puts up great stats in the regular season, but can’t get it done deep in the postseason.

28 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Peyton Gump (Big Game Chump) is not close to being on the same level as TB12. Actually, I would trust Rodgers in a big game more than Gump… he may underperform, but unlike Gump, I don’t think he was ever the main reason his team lost.

3 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

First off, Rapistburger blew that Superbowl against the Packers by throwing two INT’s.

Second, Rodgers is a head case. He’s still holding a grudge against the Packers for drafting Jordan Love in the first round instead of getting him WR’s.

Third, when Manning left the Colts, he went to the Broncos and they had a loaded offense, along with an elite defense.

Fourth, with $50M dedicated to one player, how are the Packers going to be able to get key FA’s to get them over the hump? 

Until Rodgers gets back to another Superbowl, he’s just a glorified Tony Romo with a Superbowl under his belt, meaning, he puts up great stats in the regular season, but can’t get it done deep in the postseason.

He's led his team to the playoffs eleven times
He's won a Super Bowl
He's still playing at an elite level, winning over 80% of his games the last three years and winning the MVP award the last two years 

And if we didn't have Josh Allen, my guess is you would have been clamoring to trade for him....

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

He's led his team to the playoffs eleven times
He's won a Super Bowl
He's still playing at an elite level, winning over 80% of his games the last three years and winning the MVP award the last two years 

And if we didn't have Josh Allen, my guess is you would have been clamoring to trade for him....

After reading all the stuff about Rodgers and how he held a grudge against Mike McCarthy for years because McCarthy was on the 49ers when they drafted Alex Smith instead of him; same goes with him being a drama queen for the past few years when they drafted Love in the first round instead of getting him WR’s, he’s threatened to retire, wanted to be traded, etc. It makes you wonder if Rodgers is 100% dedicated to his team? 

Here’s a good article about the Rodgers/McCarthy turmoil in GB:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay.amp.html

3 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

After reading all the stuff about Rodgers and how he held a grudge against Mike McCarthy for years because McCarthy was on the 49ers when they drafted Alex Smith instead of him; same goes with him being a drama queen for the past few years when they drafted Love in the first round instead of getting him WR’s, he’s threatened to retire, wanted to be traded, etc. It makes you wonder if Rodgers is 100% dedicated to his team? 

Here’s a good article about the Rodgers/McCarthy turmoil in GB:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay.amp.html

There seems to be so much dislike for Rodgers that I don't know what to believe and what not to believe in regard to what is written or reported about him. And, to be honest, I don't care about any of it unless it affects the team in the locker room and his/their play on the field. I don't see where it has. 

To me, he is an MVP caliber QB who, in spite of the team's strange insistence on not spending high draft choices or free agency money on surround him with top caliber offensive talent, is capable any given year of leading his team to a SB.

• Like (+1) 3

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the real numbers are.  $200M over four seasons for a 38 year old QB is WAY too much.  Just because Tom Brady has aged well and played well into his 40's doesn't mean that Rodgers will be able to do the same.  His play could decline at any time due to age.  If the agreement is front loaded - pay him big bucks guaranteed for this year only, then the team can get out of it after that - it would make more sense.  Not sure how the cap will work for them, as I thought they were already over by more than $20M, and now they have tagged Davonte Adams and are guaranteeing just over $20M to him.

how the Packers have been able to field a team that gets to the playoffs every year,  while overpaying Rodgers is beyond me.  the Packers fo are wizards.    imagin if he took just a bit less so they could surround him with SB winning caliber players.     remember all those years that Brady was taking discounts so he could win Super Bowls?    guess he's getting what he really wants,  the $$$$$.    im sure he'll win another regular season MVP and crap out again in the playoffs.   working as intended is suppose.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

There seems to be so much dislike for Rodgers that I don't know what to believe and what not to believe in regard to what is written or reported about him. And, to be honest, I don't care about any of it unless it affects the team in the locker room and his/their play on the field. I don't see where it has. 

To me, he is an MVP caliber QB who, in spite of the team's strange insistence on not spending high draft choices or free agency money on surround him with top caliber offensive talent, is capable any given year of leading his team to a SB.

There’s no doubt Rodgers is one of the best to play the game, but I see a ton of red flags with him and he seems he needs to be coddled constantly. Glad it’s the Packers problem to deal with and not the Bills.

So far, Allen has continued to improve each year and the way he played in the playoffs makes me believe he is the best QB in the league. On top of that, Allen seems to be a great team player, a class act and is not a drama queen/distraction like how Rodgers is.

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

There’s no doubt Rodgers is one of the best to play the game, but I see a ton of red flags with him and he seems he needs to be coddled constantly. Glad it’s the Packers problem to deal with and not the Bills.

So far, Allen has continued to improve each year and the way he played in the playoffs makes me believe he is the best QB in the league. On top of that, Allen seems to be a great team player, a class act and is not a drama queen/distraction like how Rodgers is.

On this we do agree, my friend. I believe Allen is the best QB in the game with the potential to be one of the best who ever played the game. In addition, I love who this kid is as a person.

Cheers :beer:

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Steptide said:

Tf? 

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

McAffee tweeted early this morning that the terms and amounts being reported were wrong too. Wonder what is up...

Rapoport strikes again!!!

son of a bitch anger GIF by South Park

Rodgers a week ago:

News today:

boy I can see why he took such issue with the reports of his new deal 🤦‍♂️

figured the reports were mostly accurate. I figured he was just being nit-picky and looking for attention.

next we’ll hear him say he still didn’t “sign” a new deal - he printed his name. 😂

Edited by BillsFan4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.