McDermott and Beane interviews from the Scouting Combine

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You also don’t want to draft for need just because… 

Right. But I think there will be equivalent value players at both CB and WR at #25. And one can come in, start right away, and play every down, and the other will be a part-time contributor.

I think we all agree if Linderbaum was there, you sprint up to the podium without question. But outside of that, it gets murky.

42 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Diggs, Davis, Knox are/will be Josh's top-3, trusted targets.

Do we spend a 1st round pick on a guy who is our 4th option (at best)? Or a CB who can start right away, play every down, and contribute immediately?

(I agree on G/C, but outside of Linderbaum, I don't think there are any worth the #25 pick)

I appreciate the list and actual answer. Thanks!

Same question for you as above.

Are you taking balls away from Davis and Knox? Is it worth spending #25 on a guy who will be 4th or 5th option?

Is Beasley meaningless in this offense?  If you say no, then you have my answer. Beasley is on the last year of his deal and we need to think ahead and get a cheap option to replace him with. Diggs will prob get a raise and Davis will likely command decent money in a few years. Once we lose Beasley we will lose a big part of our greatest strength…passing the ball. 

I've thought way too much about what OT rules should look like, so here's my proposal:

1) No OT in regular season games. If regulation ends with a tie, that's that.

2) In playoffs the higher seed always gets the ball first. It is still sudden death but there's no coin toss. This makes seeding worth a little more and may change a team's end of game strategy if they know who gets the ball first in OT.

So in our game against the Chiefs, knowing that they would get the ball first in OT I bet we would have gone for 2 after our last TD. This would be a much fairer system IMO. Everyone knows ahead of time how OT will work and if you didn't win enough regular season games to have that advantage, too bad.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the Super Bowl. It feels like there should be some form of sudden death where both teams are guaranteed at least one possession no matter what and the seeding should no longer matter at that point.

• Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Right. But I think there will be equivalent value players at both CB and WR at #25. And one can come in, start right away, and play every down, and the other will be a part-time contributor.

I think we all agree if Linderbaum was there, you sprint up to the podium without question. But outside of that, it gets murky.

Yeah if linderbaum is there, I hope they don’t talk themselves out of making him the pick. Think about it…would they make the same mistake a year after passing on creed Humphrey for Basham?

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Yeah if linderbaum is there, I hope they don’t talk themselves out of making him the pick. Think about it…would they make the same mistake a year after passing on creed Humphrey for Basham?

I don’t know, I feel it’d be more damning to the FO if Linderbaum was picked at #25. He’s a smaller guy, can he play guard?
A year earlier they didn’t have a high enough grade on Humphrey to take him at the back of round 2 - Beane admitted an offer to move back was on the table if Basham wasn’t there -  but a year later they’d select arguably an inferior center a round earlier? Remember, Humphrey is a huge guy and had a 9.9 RAS. He was everything the Bills should’ve been looking for at that pick and their evaluations failed them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

It's a loser mentality and Beane and McDermott truly believe that's why they lost the game they obviously weren't paying attention.

You can understand you totally screwed up the final seconds of the game and still understand that the playoff OT rules also sorta blow. its not one or the other....

but i wouldnt expect anything thing short of your initial comment here. its very .... you.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Naturally not a lot to take away from what they said...........but I actually had somebody argue with me on TSW a couple weeks ago that Beane didn't trade Watkins and Darby in 2017 to accumulate assets to trade up for a QB in 2018...........whoever you were...........Beane re-iterated that was why they made those trades in his PC today.    

Not sure why he was getting tossed softballs like "tell us again about getting Josh Allen" but whatever. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

“I’m not here to talk about the past”… doing his best Mark Mcgwire impression. 

He took full responsibility, and very obviously has moved forward with every intent of making sure it doesn’t happen again, you know, like an adult, what the hell else does any thinking individual expect to have happen ?      

Moping around isn’t what guys like McDermott or Beane do, they address the concern and move to correct what went wrong, of course some fans want a full on soap opera to assuage their butt hurt emotions. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Since when are the Rams 1-2 year wonders? They’ve been consistently good for 5 years now. 

Yeah the hyperbole about cost/benefit analysis..........."if we were more aggressive.........we would lose 10 players later"............that's right up there with 2018 McDermott saying "would we like to score 50 every game?  Of course" when media were asking him why their offense was the worst the league had seen thru half the season since the merger.

McDermott got on board with doing what it takes to score LOTS of points in 2020............hopefully, despite that rhetoric above,  Beane realizes he needs to push the envelope a bit more this offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Oh God yeah, Linderbaum Immediately replaces Morse. And if Bates signs a decent deal we should be set.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I've thought way too much about what OT rules should look like, so here's my proposal:

1) No OT in regular season games. If regulation ends with a tie, that's that.

2) In playoffs the higher seed always gets the ball first. It is still sudden death but there's no coin toss. This makes seeding worth a little more and may change a team's end of game strategy if they know who gets the ball first in OT.

So in our game against the Chiefs, knowing that they would get the ball first in OT I bet we would have gone for 2 after our last TD. This would be a much fairer system IMO. Everyone knows ahead of time how OT will work and if you didn't win enough regular season games to have that advantage, too bad.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the Super Bowl. It feels like there should be some form of sudden death where both teams are guaranteed at least one possession no matter what and the seeding should no longer matter at that point.

Overtime in the playoffs is not that difficult.  Each team gets a possession, and after that possession, if the score is still tied then it's sudden death.  

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Overtime in the playoffs is not that difficult.  Each team gets a possession, and after that possession, if the score is still tied then it's sudden death.  

That still gives the team that wins the coin flip a major advantage though. I don't like any major advantage being decided by a coin flip. If you tie it to playoff seeding, everybody can agree that's fair. A higher seed should earn you that advantage.

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That still gives the team that wins the coin flip a major advantage though. I don't like any major advantage being decided by a coin flip. If you tie it to playoff seeding, everybody can agree that's fair. A higher seed should earn you that advantage.

I'm not sure I follow....basically just taking away the TD wins it rule and letting opposing offense get a chance to match that TD. I don't quite see how a team winning coin flip would factor in very much in that instance. Unless I'm misunderstanding something (which happens sometimes with me). 

But when changing nothing but that particular rule and that's it, I don't see the major advantage to coin flip if other team gets a chance to score a TD also...

McDermott on promoting Ken Dorsey:

"More than anything I wanted Josh to be comfortable... Having Josh's approval on that thing is big. Him being involved gives him some ownership."

Let's be fair... pay the guy $258M and he's gonna get what he wants. #Bills

— Thad Brown (@thadbrown7) March 1, 2022

A lot of QBs don't.  Aaron Rodgers issue started when Packers cut QB coach he liked, respected and utilized Alex Van Pelt was gone by choice of front office.

37 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I'm not sure I follow....basically just taking away the TD wins it rule and letting opposing offense get a chance to match that TD. I don't quite see how a team winning coin flip would factor in very much in that instance. Unless I'm misunderstanding something (which happens sometimes with me). 

But when changing nothing but that particular rule and that's it, I don't see the major advantage to coin flip if other team gets a chance to score a TD also...

If both teams score a TD in OT, it then automatically becomes sudden death. So the 1st team to get the ball still has a huge advantage. All they have to do is score a FG on their 2nd OT possession and they win. Even if the Bills had gotten the ball back against KC and scored a TD, we likely would have lost on their ensuing possession. The proposed rule change where each team gets a guaranteed possession doesn't eliminate the advantage, it just prolongs it. My proposal is that if one team is going to have an advantage in OT it should be for a good reason that the team earned.

Edited by HappyDays

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If both teams score a TD in OT, it then automatically becomes sudden death. So the 1st team to get the ball still has a huge advantage. All they have to do is score a FG on their 2nd OT possession and they win. Even if the Bills had gotten the ball back against KC and scored a TD, we likely would have lost on their ensuing possession. The proposed rule change where each team gets a guaranteed possession doesn't eliminate the advantage, it just prolongs it. My proposal is that if one team is going to have an advantage in OT it should be for a good reason that the team earned.

Ah ok, I see how it could in a game like Bills-KC where both offenses can't be stopped. 

4 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I want to like Tyler Linderbaum but I can't get past that he's not over 300LBs.  Dude is gonna rocked by the big boys. The Cam Heywards of the world would be licking their chops to line up against him. 

• Like (+1) 1

As far as the offseason goes, I expect McBeane to keep the same amount of real weapons which is seven: Diggs, Davis, Singletary, Knox, Sanders, Beasley and McKenzie. I don’t know who we are going to lose but they will be replaced by someone that at least stands a good chance to be able to replace them. Mostly FAs I expect. We need another RB to compete with Moss. We need better depth on the OL and the OL is a bit of a question mark like the weapons about who stays and who goes but I expect a clear upgrade along the OL. I mean better depth. Then we find a nobody QB or whoever will take 2.5 mill. That’s qualified.

So, yeah, the top picks will be for the defense yet again. And the Bills brain trust is absolutely correct doing this. The only critique might be that the guys we already drafted aren’t enough. And I understand the frustration but we are used to be drafting between six and 18….not the late twenties… So, we draft defense again. I want the first three picks to be DT, DE and CB….We have to fix this thing right. And no I don’t mind being pretty young at DE. I’ll vote talent of experience and besides, if there are no injuries the forth guy plays the least. And we might keep five DEs because we like to move them into tackle on passing downs. Maybe we sign Efe and draft a DE in the second. If the Bills just sign Efe I’m good with it. I say goodbye Jerry and goodbye Mario. Unless nobody wants to give Addison money. I think he is worth 4 mill to split some snaps and provide depth, no more. Give Efe the 4 mill and I think with more snaps he gets better. I think Mario was our best end last year yet I don’t think he is worth a lot of money, he just keeps getting older.

Anyway, defense or bust!

Super Bowl or Bust!

Go Bills!

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

31 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

We need another RB to compete with Moss. We need better depth on the OL and the OL is a bit of a question mark

I agree Iikely another RB will be signed but don't know whether by draft or FA/trade. Moss, like Devin improved later in the season when they finally figured the best OL line-up that worked the best and also Daboll finally started giving both RB's a lot more opportunities...so Moss could look much better next season 

So in regards to Moss, I know he hasn't shown quite what some thought and hoped, but I do consider lack of opportunities and poor OL play for majority of season played a sizable part as reason for poor rushing game. I agree though competition can bring out the best in a player so we will see. 

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

30 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

As far as the offseason goes, I expect McBeane to keep the same amount of real weapons which is seven: Diggs, Davis, Singletary, Knox, Sanders, Beasley and McKenzie. I don’t know who we are going to lose but they will be replaced by someone that at least stands a good chance to be able to replace them. Mostly FAs I expect. We need another RB to compete with Moss. We need better depth on the OL and the OL is a bit of a question mark like the weapons about who stays and who goes but I expect a clear upgrade along the OL. I mean better depth. Then we find a nobody QB or whoever will take 2.5 mill. That’s qualified.

So, yeah, the top picks will be for the defense yet again. And the Bills brain trust is absolutely correct doing this. The only critique might be that the guys we already drafted aren’t enough. And I understand the frustration but we are used to be drafting between six and 18….not the late twenties… So, we draft defense again. I want the first three picks to be DT, DE and CB….We have to fix this thing right. And no I don’t mind being pretty young at DE. I’ll vote talent of experience and besides, if there are no injuries the forth guy plays the least. And we might keep five DEs because we like to move them into tackle on passing downs. Maybe we sign Efe and draft a DE in the second. If the Bills just sign Efe I’m good with it. I say goodbye Jerry and goodbye Mario. Unless nobody wants to give Addison money. I think he is worth 4 mill to split some snaps and provide depth, no more. Give Efe the 4 mill and I think with more snaps he gets better. I think Mario was our best end last year yet I don’t think he is worth a lot of money, he just keeps getting older.

Anyway, defense or bust!

Super Bowl or Bust!

Go Bills!

So you can’t “fix the defense” in FA?  Why is it that a lot of people think we can keep patching together an offense, but we have to use high picks every year on defense? It can work the other way around. In fact, I think it should. We need to get younger on offense and have some cheap contracts on guys that will be around a while. We can’t keep all our rookie deals on one side of the ball. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I don’t know, I feel it’d be more damning to the FO if Linderbaum was picked at #25. He’s a smaller guy, can he play guard?
A year earlier they didn’t have a high enough grade on Humphrey to take him at the back of round 2 - Beane admitted an offer to move back was on the table if Basham wasn’t there -  but a year later they’d select arguably an inferior center a round earlier? Remember, Humphrey is a huge guy and had a 9.9 RAS. He was everything the Bills should’ve been looking for at that pick and their evaluations failed them.

I don’t think they will draft Linderbaum, but I think they should if he is there. Linderbaum is essentially a polished, slighty bigger Jason Kelce, who cane into the league at 280. I really want to see what Linderbaum benches at the combine, and his other measurables. I am not sure if he can play guard, but I do know that Mitch Morse can. Maybe a move to guard might actually protect Morse as he wont have 340 lb NTs right on his head. 

But I am not worried about Linderbaum. He plays with leverage, and while he could stand to add 10-15 pounds to his frame, I think he is going to be an all pro center right away. Former Iowa guy James Daniels came in a little undersized and didn't really take off until he added that nulk. 

I think the thing with Humphrey was that there was no combine, people saw a kind of sloppy body guy with a neck beard who snaps left handed, with inconsistent game film. He doesn’t pass the eye test in that way, so I think he is a bit of a unicorn. I fon’t think people thought he was going to be the elite athlete that he is. I don’t think center was on our radar, but I would feel worse if I were say the Eagles or Packers…teams who drafted centers before Humphrey. 

1 hour ago, delirious said:

I want to like Tyler Linderbaum but I can't get past that he's not over 300LBs.  Dude is gonna rocked by the big boys. The Cam Heywards of the world would be licking their chops to line up against him. 

Just watch some all 22 film of him and you will forget that he is 290. The dude is a technician who plays with great leverage and has a very nasty streak. Excellent in pass pro, can really move and is great in the screen game. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I tend to be one of those posters. Mostly because:

1. I think Dane Jackson can take the #2 spot

2. McBeane have proven they can find and develop decent DBs in the mid/later rounds.

3. I'd rather draft from the inside-out. OL and DL early.

But given the way most mocks are falling (for whatever that's worth), I dont expect guys like Linderbaum, Davis, or Dean to be available at #25. So if the value/BPA is CB, then so be it.

which mid round DB have we developed other than Tauron Johnson who is a slot corner.  

15 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Sounds like more picks to fix the defense… just like every year…

Unless you think this defense is perfect I see no reason why we can't go back to D in round 1 again this year. 

We still lack a 1 tech to stop the run, an actual solid MLB (thats another story), we also lack a starting outside corner, as well as a consistent pass rushing DE that can get sacks. We have issues on both sides of the ball. 

• Eyeroll 1

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Give the higher seeded team the ability to go first or defer,  but each team gets an opportunity; after each possession if it is still tied, then sudden death.

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Personally, I think this would be the best way out of the proposals I’ve heard so far. At least for the playoffs. I like how the NHL switched to no gimmicks in the playoffs. Game is tied? Play another full period. Obviously the 1st goal still wins but that works because puck possession is so fluid. 

I think the NFL should do something similar in the playoffs. Just play another full quarter. Then we’re not talking about gimmicky rules being the reason for a win/loss. 

If you guarantee both teams a possession, I don’t know if it eliminates the controversy. Like for ex, say the Bills get the ball after KC scores. They score a TD of their own. Then KC gets the ball back and kick a FG to win.

I think we’d still be talking about how KC won because they won the coin toss.

Edited by BillsFan4

17 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Is Beasley meaningless in this offense?  If you say no, then you have my answer. Beasley is on the last year of his deal and we need to think ahead and get a cheap option to replace him with. Diggs will prob get a raise and Davis will likely command decent money in a few years. Once we lose Beasley we will lose a big part of our greatest strength…passing the ball. 

But do we need to use a 1st round asset to acquire a player is the question.  

17 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Personally, I think this would be the best way out of the proposals I’ve heard so far. At least for the playoffs. I like how the NHL switched to no gimmicks in the playoffs. Game is tied? Play another full period. Obviously the 1st goal still wins but that works because puck possession is so fluid. 

I think the NFL should do something similar in the playoffs. Just play another full quarter.

If you guarantee both teams a possession, I don’t know if it eliminates the controversy. Like for ex, say the Bills get the ball after KC scores. They score a TD of their own. Then KC gets the ball back and kick a FG to win.

I think we’d still be talking about how KC won because they won the coin toss.

It'd probably actually be most like soccer in the world cup.  Except after the OT they would just do another one instead of PKs.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

It'd probably actually be most like soccer in the world cup.  Except after the OT they would just do another one instead of PKs.

i wasn’t aware of the World Cup rules. The NHL was the best comparison I could think of. But I mainly watch football and hockey, so… 

lol

11 hours ago, ganesh said:

which mid round DB have we developed other than Tauron Johnson who is a slot corner.  

Wallace was a UDFA.  Lewis was a UDFA and never looked that out of place.  Same with Jackson as a 7th rounder.  I don't think any of them are like all-pros, but they could certainly have done a lot worse.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

Petitioning to change OT rules in the postseason is such a sad look, lol. Best to move on from the McChoke and let another team take the lead.

Any kind of sudden death overtime is going to have flaws.  Maybe the suggestion Buffalo has made could improve it.  I haven't even looked at it, so I don't know.    I'm firmly of the opinion that the Bills' proposal on overtime should have nothing to do with whether or not the Bills retain McDermott.  Now, the late game choke of the Bills is certainly pertinent.  It is what it is, poor strategy and poor execution both.  I don't imagine any Bills fan was happy with what went down.  On the other hand, I think letting go of McDermott over the final 13 seconds of regulation in that game would be the very pinnacle of stupidity.  Why, when the wheels came off for the Bills at a crucial time in a crucial game?  Because success can be an elusive prize in the NFL, and Sean McDermott has brought more success to the Bills than the team has experienced in a better part of a generation.  I also believe that McDermott has a drive to get better and a willingness to learn from mistakes.  There may come a time when the Bills should get rid of McDermott, but to me it looks like that day is years off.

1 hour ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Give the higher seeded team the ability to go first or defer,  but each team gets an opportunity; after each possession if it is still tied, then sudden death.

I would keep the rules the same way they are now - if the 1st team scores a TD it's game over, if only a FG the other team gets a chance. I just think adding the playoff seeding element makes OT more dynamic. Right now it's stupid. There's no reason a closely fought playoff game between two evenly matched teams should effectively be decided by a coin flip.

17 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

You can understand you totally screwed up the final seconds of the game and still understand that the playoff OT rules also sorta blow. its not one or the other....

but i wouldnt expect anything thing short of your initial comment here. its very .... you.

I don't agree that the playoff rules need to be changed, they already were and do allow each team to have a possession unless it's a TD. And the Bengals were obviously able to stop the Chiefs on their first possession of OT in the AFCCG.

Which brings me back to the point, why is Leslie Frazier still here? Why does McD think that the same failed scheme that has never been able to perform well against the leagues best QBs the last 5 years is still the answer? The defense gave up nearly 600 yards against the Chiefs and the pass rush once again never came close to touching Mahomes other than one sack early in the game when they were backed up in the endzone.

Your defense makes a play or two during regulation and you win that game. Your defense holds for 13 seconds which happens in 99 out of 100 similar circumstances you win the game.

Bottom line the excuses aren't valid anymore and it's still very telling that JA17 had a historical playoff run and his coaches still found a way to not seize the moment when this franchise was on the cusp of greatness.

• Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.