Walter Football Mock with the Hot Take on our MLB

Richard Noggin

The funny thing is that a sizable portion of this forum still thinks Edmunds is a really good football player.  I think this mostly stems from the fact that he was a relatively high draft pick, and he currently plays for the Buffalo Bills.

When he's gone, he will be laughed at by the same people.

😂

🤦‍♂️

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

But couldn't we say the same for Oliver? Oliver I feel has shown dominant play at times, unlike Edmunds, but I feel overall he's been average as well. 

We need these defensive draft picks to step up and become more than average, at least one of them. There are a lot of 1st and 2nd round picks in the front 7 that haven't developed into more than average.

Oliver is still a year behind and has done something that Tremaine hasn’t done…. Shown significant improvement.  I agree Ed was average in his first 2 years.  Mostly because he taking on double teams as a 287 DT due to star opting out and Harrison’s injury/recovery.  He was a top 10 pass rushing DT in the league last season imo and only getting better.  

fully agree with part 2 of your post other than Ed being very good as opposed to better than average.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I think he’s a rather easily replaceable player at a much cheaper contract and doesn’t move the needle for the team whatsoever. 

He’s not a huge bust. He’s not a great player. He’s somewhere in between good and average MLB.  The money he will get can absolutely be better served else where such as at a position that does impact wins and losses(WR, CB, pass rusher) 

Just because fans aren’t on the same page as the team doesn’t mean the team is right…. This regime has already proven they can be overly loyal to their own players and draft picks and be quite wrong about it. 

Right.  

If Edmunds purpose in our defensive scheme is not to make impact plays but solely to prevent big gains in the middle of the field, he hasn't even done that very well this season.   I'd like to find a stat on this somewhere but I remember watching at least two games this season where we have given up season long plays to opposing team players down the middle of the field.   One was the Derrick Henry 76 yd TD run(his longest of season) and I think both Mahomes and Edwards-Helaire had season long runs against the Bills.  I'm sure there are plenty of others.   

We could honestly probably throw Tyrel Dodson or Mario Addison out there for majority of snaps and not see much drop-off in play. 

Edited by Lost

17 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

If Edmunds is as bad at football as TBD makes him out to be, why is anyone talking getting a 2nd or 3rd for him ? ... Sounds like we'd be lucky to get a jelly donut for him.

Edmunds is not tradeable with his current contract.  (One year, $12.7M fully guaranteed.)  The Bills aren’t in any position to move on from him either.  So the question is whether the Bills start preparing for his (possible) departure next offseason.  We will have to wait and see if a backup who is a potential replacement gets drafted this season.  It’s smart business regardless of what the Bills think of Edmunds.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

As for measuring his performance, in Jay Skurski's BN piece on Edmunds yesterday he wrote:

"If we define big plays as sacks, interceptions, forced fumbles or recoveries, passes defensed and tackles for loss, Edmunds combined to make just 12 such plays. Seven players on the defense had that many or more."

That's pretty damning for a guy who:

• we traded up for and drafted highly
  • is considered a freak athlete
  • plays a position that generally results in big plays and impressive stats

Look at it this way, only 3 of his defensive mates had fewer big plays in 2021.

Would you mind telling us what these stats for other MLB (who are not, in their scheme, asked to blitz very often) ?

Since you know that MLBs around the league generally result in big plays and impressive stats in these categories, shouldn't be hard.

Here's a list of top-10 MLB around the league in 2020 which might help

https://www.fanrankings.com/nfl/articles/top-10-middle-linebackers-in-nfl-2021-rankings

I looked up 2021 stats for Int, PD, FF, SK, and TFL on a couple LB on that list:

Bobby Wagner 11 (add QB hits 14)

Fred Warner 12.5 (add QB hits 15.5)

Devin White 15.5

Lavonte David 13

I think these data might imply that around the league

Also point out that in 2018, Tre Edmunds stats for these were 23, which would put him up with Eric Kendricks (who had 19 last year), whom PFF grades as the best

I asked elsewhere in this thread, of others, I'll ask again: what was different in 2018 that gave Tre Better stats? 

Because I think most people would say he's a better player overall now than he was as a rookie.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think some fans aren’t on the same page as to his role in the defense and why he is important. And that there is indeed a place between “bust” and “elite” that can contribute at a high level on a SB team. He’s not a traditional MLB and he doesn’t play the traditional MLB position in this defense. Warren calling him a “huge bust” simply shows his lack of knowledge of the player and scheme. Not every player drafted in the first round is a “bust” because they aren’t “elite” by age 23. 

not sure what or if they will pay Edmunds but it appears the viewpoint the team has is that he is valuable. WRT what he’s asked to do against the run and pass and communication in THIS defense, his value is very high even if *and i know this is difficult to comprehend for some * he doesn’t make (gasp) every play. 

I think from various things McDermott has said, they in fact want more "splash plays" or difference-making plays out of Edmunds.  But they clearly do regard him as important or they wouldn't have picked up his fully guaranteed 5th year option.

And again there's that question I keep asking: what was different Edmunds rookie year that resulted in him having almost twice the "splash plays" (interceptions, passes defensed, forced fumbles, sacks, tackles for loss) that he did last year?

There's a subtext through all these discussions, that McDermott and Beane, despite taking the Bills to a winning record and to playoffs 4 of the last 5 years and having a top-10 defense on points 2 of those 5 years, are actually all kinds of football dumb.  They, unlike the bright lights here on TBD, are unable to perceive or unwilling to admit that Edmunds is a "bust", or are stubbornly playing  Edmunds out of position where he should really be a DE or an OLB, or that they should trade him for whatever draft pick they can get and replace him with a $5-6k/yr (or maybe $9k/yr) free agent.

17 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

If Edmunds is as bad at football as TBD makes him out to be, why is anyone talking getting a 2nd or 3rd for him ? ... Sounds like we'd be lucky to get a jelly donut for him.

Exactly.  The same people who say he's a huge bust and lacks instincts and will be laughed at if he exhibits the same level of play elsewhere, are saying we should trade him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick or trade him for a "more dominant and developed" MLB.

News flash, huge busts who lack instincts don't get traded for high draft picks or good players.  They get traded for jelly donuts and bags of socks.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think from various things McDermott has said, they in fact want more "splash plays" or difference-making plays out of Edmunds.  But they clearly do regard him as important or they wouldn't have picked up his fully guaranteed 5th year option.

And again there's that question I keep asking: what was different Edmunds rookie year that resulted in him having almost twice the "splash plays" (interceptions, passes defensed, forced fumbles, sacks, tackles for loss) that he did last year?

There's a subtext through all these discussions, that McDermott and Beane, despite taking the Bills to a winning record and to playoffs 4 of the last 5 years and having a top-10 defense on points 2 of those 5 years, are actually all kinds of football dumb.  They, unlike the bright lights here on TBD, are unable to perceive or unwilling to admit that Edmunds is a "bust", or are stubbornly playing  Edmunds out of position where he should really be a DE or an OLB, or that they should trade him for whatever draft pick they can get and replace him with a $5-6k/yr (or maybe $9k/yr) free agent.

I think in 2018 and 2019 we had Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson, Kyle Williams, Lorenzo Alexander and just a bigger stronger group up front in general and the team had well over 100 TFL's both years.  The last two years with two young DT's and two old, smallish, speed rushing ends our TFL's are down by 10 to 15 per season.  I just don't think we play an attacking type defense and it leaves Edmunds playing a lot of space a lot of the time.  Rousseau and Oliver give me some hope but I have to believe (from a splash play standpoint) that we miss Alexander and Kyle and even Phillips for that matter and when Edmunds is back there in zone trying to lock down a crossing Hill or Kelce I'm guessing Edmunds misses them also.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I didn't notice it consistently. Give me a game?

All of them. From about week 9 he was one of the best players on the field every game. 

If you want a particular series.... after Josh's 3rd INT early 2nd half vs Atlanta that set them up in Bills territory the Bills got them off the field with a 3 and out in which Ed blew up the middle on all 3 downs. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

All of them. From about week 9 he was one of the best players on the field every game. 

If you want a particular series.... after Josh's 3rd INT early 2nd half vs Atlanta that set them up in Bills territory the Bills got them off the field with a 3 and out in which Ed blew up the middle on all 3 downs. 

Atlanta is one that stands out. I don't know if we got that type of play every week since week 9. Like I said, we've seen the signs of what he can become. Something we've yet to see from Edmunds.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think some fans aren’t on the same page as to his role in the defense and why he is important. And that there is indeed a place between “bust” and “elite” that can contribute at a high level on a SB team. He’s not a traditional MLB and he doesn’t play the traditional MLB position in this defense. Warren calling him a “huge bust” simply shows his lack of knowledge of the player and scheme. Not every player drafted in the first round is a “bust” because they aren’t “elite” by age 23. 

not sure what or if they will pay Edmunds but it appears the viewpoint the team has is that he is valuable. WRT what he’s asked to do against the run and pass and communication in THIS defense, his value is very high even if *and i know this is difficult to comprehend for some * he doesn’t make (gasp) every play. 

We will see how much they value him when they have a handful of other guys to pay as well...

On 2/25/2022 at 5:07 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Things a player CAN'T and DOESN'T do can also be a negative.

2016 Bills offense under Tyrod Taylor thru 15 games(prior to his benching) was 7th in the NFL in scoring.......1st in the NFL in plays over 20 yards(big plays) and 1st in rushing(both for the second consecutive season)..........and had turned the ball over fewer times than any team in the SB era.

Statistically the best offense the Bills had fielded since 1991.

It wasn't the mistakes with Taylor.........it was the lack of plays he made as a pocket passer.

The lack of plays made is the issue with Edmunds...........you can play excellent defense AROUND Edmunds the same way that you could play excellent offense AROUND Taylor...................but if you need him to be a difference maker you are SOL...........and that's not what you draft a guy in the middle of round 1 to be.

And trade up to get.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, Beane hasn't been trotting around OBD wearing horseblinders, he knows who is in line to be paid and when

Obviously...But I was referring more to the fact that you can’t pay everyone- so we will see how much he values Edmunds compared to other guys who are due paydays...👍

• Agree 3

7 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

I think in 2018 and 2019 we had Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson, Kyle Williams, Lorenzo Alexander and just a bigger stronger group up front in general and the team had well over 100 TFL's both years.  The last two years with two young DT's and two old, smallish, speed rushing ends our TFL's are down by 10 to 15 per season.  I just don't think we play an attacking type defense and it leaves Edmunds playing a lot of space a lot of the time.  Rousseau and Oliver give me some hope but I have to believe (from a splash play standpoint) that we miss Alexander and Kyle and even Phillips for that matter and when Edmunds is back there in zone trying to lock down a crossing Hill or Kelce I'm guessing Edmunds misses them also.

Exactly, said this earlier in the thread that our front 4 has a big influence on the type of player that Edmunds (and Milano) can become.

For everyone claiming Edmunds needs to go, or we can easily replace him, what about our dline?  Newsflash, Edmunds and Milano (or whoever our LBs are) are playing behind a line that featured: Hughes, Oliver, Rousseau, Harry, Addison, Star, and a combination of Efe, Basham, AJ, and Butler.  

Do we honestly expect any of our LBs to perform well behind a group like that?  Milano even had a down season, from his prior work.  Certainly a correlation when we see both LBs not make splash plays, to me it points to Dline not performing as well.

Point is, get more physical/talented players in our front 4 and watch Edmunds/Milano be a top 5 combination.

4 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Exactly, said this earlier in the thread that our front 4 has a big influence on the type of player that Edmunds (and Milano) can become.

For everyone claiming Edmunds needs to go, or we can easily replace him, what about our dline?  Newsflash, Edmunds and Milano (or whoever our LBs are) are playing behind a line that featured: Hughes, Oliver, Rousseau, Harry, Addison, Star, and a combination of Efe, Basham, AJ, and Butler.  

Do we honestly expect any of our LBs to perform well behind a group like that?  Milano even had a down season, from his prior work.  Certainly a correlation when we see both LBs not make splash plays, to me it points to Dline not performing as well.

Point is, get more physical/talented players in our front 4 and watch Edmunds/Milano be a top 5 combination.

You seems to be making the argument that money would be better spent on improving the D-Line than having 2 highly paid LB’s that don’t rush the passer.  And I agree with that.  

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

You seems to be making the argument that money would be better spent on improving the D-Line than having 2 highly paid LB’s that don’t rush the passer.  And I agree with that.  

What I'm saying is we just wasted a ton of money, and got little return on investment on the dline. 

We invested top 10 money in the dline for consecutive seasons, with no where near that production. 

I'm saying we need to stop collecting 3-4 B to C grade players to rotate and find some top end talent in the front.  Beane and group have done wonders, except for what they paid for on the dline.

4 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

What I'm saying is we just wasted a ton of money, and got little return on investment on the dline. 

We invested top 10 money in the dline for consecutive seasons, with no where near that production. 

I'm saying we need to stop collecting 3-4 B to C grade players to rotate and find some top end talent in the front.  Beane and group have done wonders, except for what they paid for on the dline.

I agree.  And I’m hopeful that McBeane surprises us with a premier edge rusher in free agency now that we’re a ring chasing destination.  I’m also coming around to Jordan Davis in 1st round.  I know NFL is pass-crazy but taking away teams ability to run the ball and making them 1 dimensional is an under-rated thing.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/25/2022 at 7:37 PM, JayBaller10 said:

This feels like a 30 for 30, “what if I told you…?”

So here’s mine - what if I told you that according to ESPN, the Bills DL finished 6th in pass rush win rate?

Then I would tell you that Jerry is very good at beating his man five yards down field of the QB. 

A high win rate that doesn't result in a high sack rate is a lot of wasted energy. It may force lesser QBs into bad decisions but a guy like Mahomes will just step into the giant holes created by the over pursuing rushers and either run for ten yards or take advantage of an unobstructed view of his receivers.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Would you mind telling us what these stats for other MLB (who are not, in their scheme, asked to blitz very often) ?

Since you know that MLBs around the league generally result in big plays and impressive stats in these categories, shouldn't be hard.

Here's a list of top-10 MLB around the league in 2020 which might help

https://www.fanrankings.com/nfl/articles/top-10-middle-linebackers-in-nfl-2021-rankings

I looked up 2021 stats for Int, PD, FF, SK, and TFL on a couple LB on that list:

Bobby Wagner 11 (add QB hits 14)

Fred Warner 12.5 (add QB hits 15.5)

Devin White 15.5

Lavonte David 13

I think these data might imply that around the league

Also point out that in 2018, Tre Edmunds stats for these were 23, which would put him up with Eric Kendricks (who had 19 last year), whom PFF grades as the best

I asked elsewhere in this thread, of others, I'll ask again: what was different in 2018 that gave Tre Better stats? 

Because I think most people would say he's a better player overall now than he was as a rookie.

Thanks for taking the time to compile the stats of the other players. I feel like none of those guys played a complete 17 game season but I could be wrong on that.

I excerpted Skurski's piece because I do think it's damning that he's 8th out of 11 in "Big Plays" on his own team.

Again, I'm not one of those calling Edmunds a bust. To me he's a disappointment because it seems like he should be better than he is. It seems like his best talent is using his movement skills and wingspan to effectively deny space in zone coverage. Wow.

That said he's not horrible and he's even better than average. Picking up the 5th year option was a slam dunk but the decision whether to sign him to a new deal is far from a certainty.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/25/2022 at 1:16 AM, JayBaller10 said:

Tremaine hasn’t been a “huge bust,” but he hasn’t been a difference maker either. His instincts are below average for a MLB, but his size and athleticism are elite. Put the two together and you get a slightly above average linebacker, though I couldn’t argue if someone else were to just call him “average.”
Despite being the defensive captain and getting everyone set on defense, his mental acuity and processing do him no favors. I don’t think he’ll ever be a defensive playmaker, a guy the opposing team absolutely fears and has to account for.

I'd be interested to see what would happen if he'd be turned loose chasing QBs.

58 minutes ago, MPT said:

Then I would tell you that Jerry is very good at beating his man five yards down field of the QB. 

A high win rate that doesn't result in a high sack rate is a lot of wasted energy. It may force lesser QBs into bad decisions but a guy like Mahomes will just step into the giant holes created by the over pursuing rushers and either run for ten yards or take advantage of an unobstructed view of his receivers.

I don’t disagree, the post was in response to someone who said we never get pressure rushing four. The one thing the DL needs is a finisher. Doesn’t matter if you get the QB off his spot if he can still turn it into a positive play. 

22 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I'd be interested to see what would happen if he'd be turned loose chasing QBs.

I think he lacks the strength, physicality, and aggression needed to rush the passer. If he comes unimpeded to the QB he can get there quickly, but the same can be said for the majority of defenders in the NFL. If he has to beat a block, forget it. When your monster-sized MLB can be handled relatively easy by RBs and TEs, he’s not a threat to get to the QB.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I don’t disagree, the post was in response to someone who said we never get pressure rushing four. The one thing the DL needs is a finisher. Doesn’t matter if you get the QB off his spot if he can still turn it into a positive play. 

I think he lacks the strength, physicality, and aggression needed to rush the passer. If he comes unimpeded to the QB he can get there quickly, but the same can be said for the majority of defenders in the NFL. If he has to beat a block, forget it. When your monster-sized MLB can be handled relatively easy by RBs and TEs, he’s not a threat to get to the QB.

Again, Jerry running 5 yards past the qb is not pressure.  PFF/espn or whevever you grabbed that stat, is plain misleading and irrelevant.

Point is our front 4 is not physical or talented enough.  So we have: Hughes, Addison, Butler, Harry, and Efe all potentially ready to test the open market.  That was half our core from last year, not an abundantly talented group.

My previous point, Re: Edmunds, is that he and Milano would be much better with a stronger group in front of them.

6 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Again, Jerry running 5 yards past the qb is not pressure.  PFF/espn or whevever you grabbed that stat, is plain misleading and irrelevant.

Point is our front 4 is not physical or talented enough.  So we have: Hughes, Addison, Butler, Harry, and Efe all potentially ready to test the open market.  That was half our core from last year, not an abundantly talented group.

My previous point, Re: Edmunds, is that he and Milano would be much better with a stronger group in front of them.

I’m not sure how they measure win rate, but I can bet a “win” is not when a player runs 5 yards past the QB, thereby taking himself out of the play 😂 But yes, the DL needs more talent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Agree with all of that. There is a good sample size of him "being turned loose against QBs" (which I just assume means blitzing) and he has arguably the worst production of any blitzer in the NFL.

Edmunds' main responsibility is being a pass lane disruptor and coordinating the defense to that same end. He seems to have decent football IQ and he has elite physical traits so he's very good at that particular aspect of his job. Unfortunately he falls short in the other aspects of his job as a MLB. The Bills obviously know this. Their main objective on defense is limiting pass plays so they've clearly decided that his strengths outweigh his weaknesses in their scheme.

I don't believe the Bills could find a replacement for Edmunds in FA or the draft without adjusting their entire defensive scheme. I think he fits nicely in what they want to do on defense and they'll live with the downside. If that's the case, then the only way they can mitigate his shortcomings is by improving other areas, namely the DL.

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, Beane hasn't been trotting around OBD wearing horseblinders, he knows who is in line to be paid and when

I hope he hasn't been trotting around TBD.  He'll be using a Ouija board and Magic 8 Ball to determine players and salaries.

I don't think Edmunds is a "bust."  He is however, just a "guy." He makes no impact plays and for $12MM/year and a #16 over all pick, I want more from him.  

He could be replaced with just about anyone and there would be no drop-off in the defense's performance.

Those of you who site:

- But he's only 19

- Two Pro Bowls

- Captain of a top defense

- blah, blah, blah...

That's all fine and dandy, but show me a game, a half, a quarter, a series where he dominated and I'll never speak ill of him again. (Because you can't). I can show you Milano and Klein doing that.  Not Edmunds.  Save the $$$ and move on.

Edited by Philly McButterpants

13 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

The Bills have poured resources into our DL.  High draft pick after high draft pick and highly paid vet after highly paid vet.  How much better do you think it is going to get?  At some point you might want to ask yourself why it is always everyone else’s fault that Edmunds isn’t performing better.  Then ask yourself why he isn’t making anyone else around him better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

The Bills have poured resources into our DL.  High draft pick after high draft pick and highly paid vet after highly paid vet.  How much better do you think it is going to get?  At some point you might want to ask yourself why it is always everyone else’s fault that Edmunds isn’t performing better.  Then ask yourself why he isn’t making anyone else around him better.

When you realize that it's a defensive unit (a group of 11 players) and that they perform as a team to do as the coaching staff intends then you realize that Edmunds is accomplishing the majority of what they are asking of him and the DL is not.  That is why the emphasis is on making the DL better and not getting rid of Edmunds.  In line with that thinking I'm in agreement that Edmunds will make more splash plays when QB's aren't standing for 3 to 5 seconds largely untouched and OL players handing off our DL players and going second level on running plays.

14 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

I agree with everything you say

And yet, we've had one of the most expensive DLs in the league the last several years - most expensive in 2019 and 2020 and 2nd most expensive in 2021

The ROI has been poor, but further - it begs the question, if our FO's judgement is to invest this massive expenditure with such poor RoI, what's the problem? 

Is it a scheme which is too complex and finicky where guys can't play free? 

Is it player personnel evaluation being poor on DL?  What?

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Again, these are very fair points, but as to the DL, it's pretty clear that it's not performing as well as 1) other DLs around the league 2) as well as expected - both McDermott and Beane have indicated as much. 

Independent of Edmunds, it's a fair expectation that we should be able to have what other teams have, a better performing DL, and to ask if scheme or personnel evaluation is at fault

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.