Offseason Trade Prediction: We acquire Saquan

Alphadawg7

What would you do:  

226 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do:

• Moss and a 4th
    • Cole, Moss, and a 6th
    • Devin and a 5th
    • Multiple draft picks (none in the first 3 rounds)
    • Third round pick
    • Yes make the trade, but other offer (comment below)
    • No, I would not make a trade to get Saquan

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"None" is obviously not correct on leverage.  Players are widely known for preferring longer deals and loathing to play on a 1 yr contract, even if it's a lucrative 1 year contract.  I would assume that holds for Barkley who is historically not durable.  It would be in his interest to negotiate a longer deal even if the AAV is lower, provided the up front and guaranteed money is at least as good. 

But they certainly have a lot less leverage when he can just sit there until he likes what he sees and collect $8M

Well when I say "none" with regard to leverage...........I am taking into account that if he were a street free agent who played like he did last year he wouldn't even have his pick of "futures" contracts.    He was THAT bad.   And the Giants are on the hook for $7.22M for him next year...........not an unguaranteed league minimum deal.

Obviously.........it should be off the table to pay him anything close to $7M per year on a long term deal at this point.  Guaranteeing another cent over the $7.22M would be hard to justify.

He has "proven" by his work in 2022 that he might not even be good enough to devote a roster spot in 2023,  let alone long term money.

A new deal right now should be a total non-starter from the Giants perspective..........and not in the best interest of Barkley and his agent unless they actually think he's going to flame out of the league next season.  

So if you want to say that "in the land of make believe this is a chance" then that's your choice.   It's a ridiculous take though. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We run the E-P until we don't. If we hire a stretch zone guy the running back is the last of our problems. 

Yeah a couple more weeks of outside zone and Daboll wouldn't have had a new HC job and might not even have stayed in Buffalo.

The OL just could not execute it............it's a big ask athletically...........they weren't up to making that outside step and still getting into their blocks quickly.

So it would require another set of changes on the OL.

If they did that they'd be lucky to afford the best oft-injured outside zone runner available........Raheem Mostert.

• Eyeroll 1

There are some good backs in this year's draft.

The Bills can get their hands on a good one in the mid rounds.

Why waste time with Barkley.

Financially it isn't worthwhile for the Bills.

I don't say this to bash the OP as he seems like a cool dude, but I don't think Barkley is realistic for many reasons. 

If the Bills were to make a splash in this offseason, I say go after Godwin or Chark and trade for Mack and try to juggle contracts to fill out the cap, then worry about the draft.

Edited by njbuff

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well when I say "none" with regard to leverage...........I am taking into account that if he were a street free agent who played like he did last year he wouldn't even have his pick of "futures" contracts.    He was THAT bad.   And the Giants are on the hook for $7.22M for him next year...........not an unguaranteed league minimum deal.

Obviously.........it should be off the table to pay him anything close to $7M per year on a long term deal at this point.  Guaranteeing another cent over the $7.22M would be hard to justify.

He has "proven" by his work in 2022 that he might not even be good enough to devote a roster spot in 2023,  let alone long term money.

A new deal right now should be a total non-starter from the Giants perspective..........and not in the best interest of Barkley and his agent unless they actually think he's going to flame out of the league next season.  

So if you want to say that "in the land of make believe this is a chance" then that's your choice.   It's a ridiculous take though. 

I'll respond because I've been thinking about this and don't mind typing it into words, even though it seems unlikely to result in meaningful discourse here.

I'm not arguing for us to trade for Barkley, in case that got confused.  I don't see that as a good use of Bills trade capitol or cap $$

There's leverage on both sides.  That's all I'm saying.  The Giants leverage is that it's better for Barkley's career prospects long-term to play with a better team this year or make himself more tradeable if he wants out.  Barkley's leverage is that if they want his help in making him more tradeable or dropping their cap, there needs to be something in it for him.

Yeah, if Barkley wants to be paid close to $7M/yr on a new deal, he doesn't have leverage for that.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, njbuff said:

There are some good backs in this year's draft.

The Bills can get their hands on a good one in the mid rounds.

Why waste time with Barkley.

Financially it isn't worthwhile for the Bills.

I don't say this to bash the OP as he seems like a cool dude, but I don't think Barkley is realistic for many reasons. 

If the Bills were to make a splash in this offseason, I say go after Godwin or Chark and trade for Mack and try to juggle contracts to fill out the cap, then worry about the draft.

Draft for sure could be where add a playmaker at RB too.  No argument here.

But Mack would cost $17M against the cap in the best case scenario.  I don’t think it’s plausible.  

Bucs also said their top priority will be Godwin.  Now no guarantee he wants to go back without a QB to there, but he will not be cheap, and can’t see us paying Godwin what he will get elsewhere when we already have Diggs and Davis.  We won’t have the cap space for that, he’s going to be in double digits annually and Allens new contract kicks in next year.

So I think both have almost no plausible path to get here.  I say almost cuz Beane is a wizard, so you never know, but I seems highly unlikely to me.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

The fact is that we need a RB who can make plays when we need him. When teams decide to stop the run, this guy still gets his yards.  Taylor, Henry. No matter what you do, you can not stop them. Merely slow down the pain they bring to a defense.  I thought Moss would make people make business decisions. Well after this year, its the FO, not. the opposing defenders making them.  We don't need the superstar, but we need the dependable "I can pick up those yards at will" guy.

Couple reasons why I don’t want Saquon Barkley on Buffalo Bills is that he’s adverse to blocking and he’s not a drop the head grind guy. Sure. The guy is strong and fast with great size but doesn’t play up to his size, in my opinion. The guy is also injury prone. Perhaps the injury problems are linked to the way he works out and that can be fixed but being adverse to blocking are an issue. I didn’t understand how NY Giants choose him 2nd overall.

1 hour ago, streetkings01 said:

Gabe is our #2

I never said he wasn’t.  However, don’t the Bills run 3 and 4 receiver sets?

Bease isn’t guaranteed to come back.  McKenzie is a FA.   Need a guy who can take short passes the distance.  The receivers I mentioned can do that.  And they’re contracts will just be coming up when Diggs probable extension is up.  Stay ready you don’t have to get ready.  Keep Allen’s weapons stocked.  Period.  

3 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I never said he wasn’t.  However, don’t the Bills run 3 and 4 receiver sets?

Bease isn’t guaranteed to come back.  McKenzie is a FA.   Need a guy who can take short passes the distance.  The receivers I mentioned can do that.  And they’re contracts will just be coming up when Diggs probable extension is up.  Stay ready you don’t have to get ready.  Keep Allen’s weapons stocked.  Period.  

Who spends a 1st round pick on a #3 or #4 WR? That’s not smart drafting. Our top 3 receiving targets going into 2022 are Diggs, Davis and Knox……this offense needs oline(C, OG) upgrades and a game breaker at the RB position not wasting a 1st round pick on a WR that’ll see 3-4 targets per game.

Edited by streetkings01

1 minute ago, purple haze said:

A #3 for the Bills is a starter in their offense.   And the answer is a team that could use high end talent to go along with their high end QB.

The #3 target in this offense is Knox. There’s a reason the emergence of Knox caused the regression of Beasley. 1st round pick should be #1 pass rusher, or #2 CB, or #3 interior lineman or #4 homerun threat RB…..in that order. We can find a #3/slot WR on the cheap anywhere, why waste a 1st round pick on one?

Sleeper 1st round pick…….stud do it all LB.

12 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Who spends a 1st round pick on a #3 or #4 WR? That’s not smart drafting. Our top 3 receiving targets going into 2022 are Diggs, Davis and Knox……this offense needs oline(C, OG) upgrades and a game breaker at the RB position not wasting a 1st round pick on a WR that’ll see 3-4 targets per game.

Plus Beane already said he expects to have Cole back.  He’s only gone if there is a trade that make sense.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Plus Beane already said he expects to have Cole back.  He’s only gone if there is a trade that make sense.  

Not sure Cole is back? Beane’s statement wasn’t exactly a ringing endorsement, “Cole’s under contract so I expect him back.” My guess is he takes a pay cut to stay (possibly by adding a voidable year to his contract) or he’s cut. 

• Disagree 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

How do you figure a first round WR is a waste on this team that is pass centric with an incredible QB, a WR in Diggs who’s contract is up in two years and the most likely departure of 3 of their 5 starting WRs this past season? 

A 1st round WR is a waste if he isn’t a better receiving threat than Knox or Davis. If he’s on par with them then we wasted a 1st round pick on a part time player. Drafting a WR in the 1st round only makes sense if he’s a can’t miss Randy Moss type guy.

• Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

The #3 target in this offense is Knox. There’s a reason the emergence of Knox caused the regression of Beasley. 1st round pick should be #1 pass rusher, or #2 CB, or #3 interior lineman or #4 homerun threat RB…..in that order. We can find a #3/slot WR on the cheap anywhere, why waste a 1st round pick on one?

Sleeper 1st round pick…….stud do it all LB.

Beasley’s physical skill caused a regression in Beasley.  Don’t be one of these people who think any WR will do.  17 took off when he had real talent around him.  Picking one who can do what others in the WR room don’t do is not a waste; it’s intelligent.

Took 2 pass rushers last year in round 1 and 2  and another in round 2 the year before that.  

The Bills apparently like their ILB sorry to tell you.  The IOL and CB available at 25 might not be as good at their position as the two WR’s I mentioned are at theirs, both of whom are TD from anywhere players with polished route running skills.  A RB who is that player might not exist in round 1 this year (hint hint).  I’m all for a CB, DT or OL too.  We’ll see what happens.

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Expects and will are two different words.  Bease could easily be gone.  Especially if they need money for a different position.

16 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

A 1st round WR is a waste if he isn’t a better receiving threat than Knox or Davis. If he’s on par with them then we wasted a 1st round pick on a part time player. Drafting a WR in the 1st round only makes sense if he’s a can’t miss Randy Moss type guy.

If that WR offers a different skill then he could be a better receiving threat for what the Bills need.  The two WR’s I mentioned can score from anywhere with their speed and athleticism.  Gabriel and Knox aren’t those type of players as good as they are downfield.  

There’s no such thing as can’t miss so that’s no argument, but the two WR’s I mentioned have a great chance to be impactful.   Have you watched either play??

Again, #3 is not a PT player in the Bills offense.

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Dude ran up about $100K in protocol fines(that the Bills had to self-report).......had a lousy year with anemic yardage per pass and RAC numbers.......screamed at McDermott on the sideline of the regular season finale.

But you think he's only gone if he gets traded?

You are on a roll today. :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Poll is close, nearly split right now.  

68 against, 62 for in various trade scenarios. 

My friend, I made a thread about this months ago and I got torched for this. Your timing is a bit better than mine, that’s for darn sure. 

Anyways, Saquan could have an impact on this team the way Shady did, I feel that strongly about it. Except instead of having Tyrod Taylor at QB we’d have Josh Allen.

Saquan would easily be a feature back here and he would actually have lanes to go through because of our passing attack and with Singletary backing him up it could get really really scary for defenses.

I think the highest I would go for Saquan is a conditional 3rd that can become a 2nd if certain benchmarks are hit and also if Barkley would sign a long term contract with us.

The only reason he failed with the Giants is because their offense was built like it was from the early 1900s and also because Dan Jones sucks. He was fine and showed lots of promise when Eli was QB.

Yes please.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Dude ran up about $100K in protocol fines(that the Bills had to self-report).......had a lousy year with anemic yardage per pass and RAC numbers.......screamed at McDermott on the sideline of the regular season finale.

Not that again.  There's a monster thread somewhere that debated this for 2 weeks.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I’m NOT giving up picks for a guy that sees the field as often as I do.  If we are going to part ways with somebody they want, make a player for player deal, nothing more.

Dude, teams stacked like 20 million guys in the box against him, yet the NYG still gave the poor dude like 50 carries a game. Poor guy, any RB is going to get killed in that situation.

Thank the Lord that Gettleman passed on Josh Allen for Barkley, but with all due respect though, Barkley was a very rare prospect at RB, very well deserving of being a top 10 pick. Barkley could very well have a renaissance period here, but would Daboll give him up? I think not.

18 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Dude, teams stacked like 20 million guys in the box against him, yet the NYG still gave the poor dude like 50 carries a game. Poor guy, any RB is going to get killed in that situation.

Thank the Lord that Gettleman passed on Josh Allen for Barkley, but with all due respect though, Barkley was a very rare prospect at RB, very well deserving of being a top 10 pick. Barkley could very well have a renaissance period here, but would Daboll give him up? I think not.

If they are smart, they try to get something from him.  I agree, the guy was special, I would love to have him, but the reality of contracts is now a part of it.  You can’t afford to sink 8M in a guy who hasn’t stayed on the field and give up draft picks which = cheap contracts.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

all great points. I’d prefer signing mckenzie for around $2.5m per year 3 years and cut Beasley. McKenzie was tragically underutilized by Daboll until late in the season

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

If they are smart, they try to get something from him.  I agree, the guy was special, I would love to have him, but the reality of contracts is now a part of it.  You can’t afford to sink 8M in a guy who hasn’t stayed on the field and give up draft picks which = cheap contracts.

You make a GOOD point and I can’t say I disagree in any way, he must pass a physical. With that said, I would offer them a 4th, if they want a 1st, I would offer them a conditional 3rd that can become a 2nd so long as he stays healthy for X amount of games. That absolutely would have to be built into the contractual language.

3 hours ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

The fact is that we need a RB who can make plays when we need him. When teams decide to stop the run, this guy still gets his yards.  Taylor, Henry. No matter what you do, you can not stop them. Merely slow down the pain they bring to a defense.  I thought Moss would make people make business decisions. Well after this year, its the FO, not. the opposing defenders making them.  We don't need the superstar, but we need the dependable "I can pick up those yards at will" guy.

Yes, Henry and Taylor are terrific players.  Both have, in fact, had games where they were held in check.

I suppose there is a running back somewhere who has succeeded behind an OL that can't block for him, but I'm struggling to think of him right now.

The Titans and Colts OLs say "Hi"

Having an RB who can make plays when you need them, generally depends upon having an OL who can spring that guy to the 2nd level when you need them to

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.