Offseason Trade Prediction: We acquire Saquan

Alphadawg7

What would you do:  

226 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do:

• Moss and a 4th
    • Cole, Moss, and a 6th
    • Devin and a 5th
    • Multiple draft picks (none in the first 3 rounds)
    • Third round pick
    • Yes make the trade, but other offer (comment below)
    • No, I would not make a trade to get Saquan

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Not sure why people think running the ball more is what the Bills offense needs… just get Josh some more weapons outside and better protection while mixing in some runs to keep the defense honest. 

its not about running more. its about being effective on the runs we do need. NOT TO MENTION his unique skillset is much more pass catching than it is, running.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think this is one of the stranger ideas you've had.

The Giants need to clear cap.  If they keep Saquon on the roster, they owe him $7M fully guaranteed on a 5th year option the previous regime picked up.  But, while a 5th year option is widely reported as "fully guaranteed", "The option year becomes fully guaranteed on the first day of the league year in the fifth contract year"

It is guaranteed for injury when exercised, but unless Barkley's team somehow argues for that, the Giants could move on by releasing him.  Sure, they'd like to get something for him instead - but what team is going to trade for the oft-injured Barkley on a 1 year, fully guaranteed at the time of the trade, $7M deal?

It's fine to "not write Barkley off so fast", but the Bills have limited cap space.  Why would it serve them to trade both draft picks AND players who are still cheap labor on their rookie deal, for $7M 1 year fully guaranteed contract on a player who has never been able to live up to his promise, and who will need something we currently don't have - a strong run-blocking IOL - to realize his potential here?

That’s why I mentioned in my post that the caveat would be a new contract here.  

I wouldn’t say he hasn’t lived up to his promise, he showed it.  The Giants team has been in shambles ever since though. 

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You’re going back 20+ years to dig up Taylor and 16 years for gore.  Meanwhile, there are 20+ (Maybe 50-100+) instances of RBs that couldn’t get over their injuries and become the back that they may have been. I don’t think it’s a gamble we should take.  Unnecessary risk. Like you said, Singletary is good enough. Why waste assets/cap space on a Rb…..of all the positions to roll the dice and give up cap/picks for…..it just doesn’t make sense to me.  2.8M cap room…..

if we trade for him, I’ll be excited to have a Rb with his potential and hope for the best, but I would shocked if it worked out 

I named them specifically because of their standing as top end RBs.  

I am not saying a change of scenery is automatic he stays healthy, just saying it’s not fair to just say he can’t.  

Any player in the league would have had the same ankle injury if they rolled it as nasty as his was this year, and it’s argued he made it back sooner than most would have.

Not every injury is a sign of persistent injury issues.  It’s not like he had ticky tack soft tissue issues.  He had a couple bad luck plays where things got bent the wrong way.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It would have to be re-negotiated before the trade, because once the league year starts and he's traded, he has the cards.  He can say "nope!" and we're on the hook.

But even assuming he re-negotiates, I'm just boggled by the notion that he's the missing piece and the best use of our limited cap dollars.

• Like (+1) 1

I do find it interesting to see some of the same people complaining about not being able afford a $7m contract (here and some other threads this came up) are also ones advocating to trade for Khalil Mack, who in best case scenario would be a $17M contract to absorb.  

Saquans contract isnt that bad, and it’s for this year only.  Allens new deal doesn’t kick in until next year.  If there was ever a year we could take a chance on a player who has shown to be an elite play maker and is still young, this is the year.

Edited by Alphadawg7

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I wouldn’t say he hasn’t lived up to his promise, he showed it.  The Giants team has been in shambles ever since though. 

I named them specifically because of their standing as top end RBs.  

I am not saying a change of scenery is automatic he stays healthy, just saying it’s not fair to just say he can’t.  

Any player in the league would have had the same ankle injury if they rolled it as nasty as his was this year, and it’s argued he made it back sooner than most would have.

Not every injury is a sign of persistent injury issues.  It’s not like he had ticky tack soft tissue issues.  He had a couple bad luck plays where things got bent the wrong way.  

Agreed.  And bouncing back from the injuries, he hasn’t looked like the same back that was drafted #2.  Maaaaaybe he turns that around.  I just wouldn’t waste our resources on a roll of the dice during such a critical time

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It would have to be re-negotiated before the trade, because once the league year starts and he's traded, he has the cards.  He can say "nope!" and we're on the hook.

But even assuming he re-negotiates, I'm just boggled by the notion that he's the missing piece and the best use of our limited cap dollars.

But keep in mind, it’s only $7M and Allens new deal doesn’t hit til next year.  We could swing this even if we didn’t do a new deal.  This would be the year to do it.

But I would expect Beane would do a new deal ahead of the trade anyway if he made this move.  

22 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Barkley is injury riddled. Not interested.

NO is in a similar position. I'd go after Kamara instead.

A guy whose worst year was 1330 yds from scrimmage?  *drool*

Even with N'Orleans eating his signing bonus, though, he's $11M/yr for the next 2 years.

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I do find it interesting to see some of the same people complaining about not being able afford a $7m contract (here and some other threads this came up) are also ones advocating to trade for Khalil Mack, who in best case scenario would be a $17M contract to absorb. 

Who are they?

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Even with N'Orleans eating his signing bonus, though, he's $11M/yr for the next 2 years.

We can’t afford Kamara IMO, he will cost too much to acquire and too much on the cap.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Who are they?

I wasn’t referencing you, which is why I replied separately directly to you and didn’t bring that up.  Lol.  

My point with the post you replied to is that people always think we can maneuver  the cap when it’s a player that poster wants, but when they aren’t a fan of a different player the cap is suddenly a bigger issue.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You are giving @Alphadawg7's goofy idea a lot of false hope.

"Beginning with 2018 first-round picks, the fifth-year salary is fully guaranteed when the option is exercised. A player's fourth-year base salary will also become fully guaranteed at the time the option year is picked up, if it wasn't already."  -Apr 21, 2021

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

"Beginning with 2018 first-round picks, the fifth-year salary is fully guaranteed when the option is exercised. A player's fourth-year base salary will also become fully guaranteed at the time the option year is picked up, if it wasn't already."  -Apr 21, 2021

Where is the language that says player can’t agree to a new deal or an extension?  Lmao.  

No one is arguing what is current contract is.  Why do you keep bringing this up?

• Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My point with the post you replied to is that people always think we can maneuver  the cap when it’s a player that poster wants, but when they aren’t a fan of a different player the cap is suddenly a bigger issue.  

Ha.  It would be a fair cop on me that I always think the cap is a bigger issue, probably a bigger issue than it is, truly.

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not in the post you're quoting, I'm not - nothing says that the contract can't be renegotiated.  For example, Allen's $23M option for 2022 was renegotiated when he signed his contract extension, and his cap hit for 2022 is now $16M.

But it's a fair cop on me that I thought the 5th yr option still wasn't guaranteed until the start of the new league year, and missed that this is the year that changes.

The Giants are stuck, unless they negotiate a new contract.  Heh.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ha.  It would be a fair cop on me that I always think the cap is a bigger issue, probably a bigger issue than it is, truly.

Hey, I’m there with you.  I’m always a “protect the cap” motto person myself.  

I just think Barkley contract situation isn’t a risk as it’s one year anyway, and Josh Allen’s new deal doesn’t hit for another year.  

So worst case we are not stuck if it didn’t work out.  

But I do think Beane would work on doing a new deal ahead of the trade as you mentioned to at least assure that if he does work out he could be here a couple seasons at least.  

I do not want any bit of Saquan. 

The contract reason has been covered by others, but there is a performance reason too. His backup averaged nearly half a yard more per rush and while that is not abnormal sample size is normally a big reason. In this case Barkley only had 17 more attempts. 

Watch any Giants game. You see Saquan dancing around in the backfield and getting tackled for a loss when there are positive yards there WAYYYY too often. The Bills have a line where there will be plays where they don't open big lanes and you just have to go forward and get 2 or 3. 

Hard, hard, hard pass. 

EDIT: to be clear I don't think he is terrible but he isn't a fit here. In a stretch zone scheme I'd have some interest

Edited by GunnerBill

10 minutes ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

Lot of Fantasy based hot takes on Saquan.

His offensive line ranked 31st and 30th in the last 2 years.

Injuries, yes.  But Done?  

I would bet not.

And his QB play was awful too. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I do not want any bit of Saquan. 

The contract reason has been covered by others, but there is a performance reason too. His backup averaged nearly half a yard more per rush and while that is not abnormal sample size is normally a big reason. In this case Barkley only had 17 more attempts. 

Watch any Giants game. You see Saquan dancing around in the backfield and getting tackled for a loss when there are positive yards there WAYYYY too often. The Bills have a line where there will be plays where they don't open big lanes and you just have to go forward and get 2 or 3. 

Hard, hard, hard pass. 

It usually takes a full year of playing before a player find his form again after tearing an ACL.  

Not to mention, defenses play it differently and even stack the box to defend Barkley, they dont defend the Giants the same for the other RBs on the team as they aren’t anyone they worry about in the same way.

Which is why I keep cautioning about Tre Whites return and why CB is by far our top need.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Where is the language that says player can’t agree to a new deal or an extension?  Lmao.  

No one is arguing what is current contract is.  Why do you keep bringing this up?

Happless gave you bad info........Barkley can't simply be released at no cost.........the Giants are stuck with his $7M either way..........so there is NO leverage to be used against Barkley or his agent in an upcoming deal.

Now if you are Barkley........you hope to reproduce your rookie year numbers and sign a 4 year $60M deal with $30M guaranteed after the 2022 season.

You don't want to venture a guess because you want to live in the land of make believe.

What kind of compromise do Barkley and his agent agree to make to get "a new deal or an extension"?

Let's say 3 year extension @$30M would be the basis........2/3 of the value at 3/4 of the length.

The guaranteed money would be the $7M guaranteed in 2022.......converted to signing bonus.........plus half the value of the other 3 years @ $10M per ($15M).

That could get his cap hit down to a manageable $2.5M-$3M in 2022 before exploding in subsequent years and leaving you with more than $20M in guarantees left.

So do you want to guarantee $22M total to a RB who hasn't produced for 2 years........with a long injury history? 

It's an absurd notion.

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It usually takes a full year of playing before a player find his form again after tearing an ACL.  

Not to mention, defenses play it differently and even stack the box to defend Barkley, they dont defend the Giants the same for the other RBs on the team as they aren’t anyone they worry about in the same way.

Which is why I keep cautioning about Tre Whites return and why CB is by far our top need.  

That all might be true but it is just another set of things you have got get over to be comfortable signing him in addition to the contract. 

I repeat for me it would be the hardest of passes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.