Postgame Thread DAMMIT!

Chandler#81

4 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I don’t think we’re factoring in how good the chiefs offensive line has been all season…when they struggled this year it was all on mahomes not protecting the football.  We had a few defensive linemen playing great down the stretch. 

No question, KC rebuild of their online was impressive.   We still relied more on pressures than sacks.  Vs Mahomes  you need to.put him on hus butt.  We failed to do that very often.

Emotions still raw. I’m still gutted over this. How did that happen with 13 seconds? I see posts about firing everyone. That’s not happening, nor should it. But…I am getting a little sick of McD learning these tough lessons when it’s too late to do anything about it. That was a colossal coaching failure on the biggest stage. Have to imagine it’s tough for anyone associated with the defense to even look at Josh right now. 

• Like (+1) 3

I wonder if you asked Mahomes if he was surprised at the Bills defensive formations with 13 seconds left if he would be honest. The Bills literally made it as easy as possible for him to achieve the near impossible with these blunders and get down the field. Its like a chess master playing a game vs a 8 year old. His only tough task was to not overthrow them and because they were so wide open and he had so much time with the none existent pass rush, he could take some velocity off the ball.  It never ceases to amaze me how many morons are in the coaching ranks of the NFL or people who just freeze when in a high pressure situation. Just inexplicable!

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

No sacks on Mahomes was the ONE glaring factor of our D besides the terrible pass defense. It wasn't like they didnt get to Mahomes either, but every time they did they whiffed in the most utterly spastic fashion. Josh was sacked a couple of times and hit repeatedly by their pass rush after throws, yet Mahomes only got smacked on his runs. Every time you hit a QB on a sack or after he throws its degrades him slightly. But Mahomes was barely caressed last night in the pocket. Why the hell didnt Frazier at least call on all out blitz on the last drive when the touchdown seemed inevitable or on any of the Chiefs late 4th quarter drives. Mahomes had all day to throw and his footwork in the pocket to buy time is probably the best in the NFL.  Instead both McD and Frazier looked like deer in the headlights.

I disagree with this take. The Bills pass rush wasn't horrible. They pressured Mahomes often. Yes they didn't get sacks but the pressure was there. Mahomes was fantastic last night. He used his legs to escape the sacks and get big runs and plays. The defense didn't give the Chiefs big plays throughout most of the game. They failed miserably in the end. Lastly, it's pretty well known that Mahomes burns blitzes on a regular basis. The right defensive strategy imho would have forced the Chiefs to return the ball and absolutely maul all their receivers. I wouldn't have allowed any of them to get off the line of scrimmage. Of course, it's easy to play armchair QB after the fact. 

For the most part, I thought the Bill's coaching staff did an excellent job. Daboll's play calling was solid. Mixed the run and pass well. Used motion, short passes, RPOs, and a dart throws to Davis. 

Frazier and the defense was what I expected. They played a bend and don't break defense. For the most part it was pretty effective. They only gave up 14 to the Chiefs at halftime. Prevented the KC offense from making big plays and pressured Mahomes often. The 3rd quarter and much of the 4th was similar. They did enough to keep the Bills in the game. In Arrowhead, vs Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, minus Tre White, and a rabid crowd that's all we could ask for. The collasal failure occurred with 13 seconds left. However, let's give the entire Bills team including the coaches the props for getting us in that position. Look at the Bills going for it on 4th down twice in the first drive and getting a TD. Big play calls that allowed Allen to hit Davis for impossible touchdowns. Unfortunately, all we will remember is the last 13 seconds. Myself included. It's a nitemare that's likely to reoccurr over and over. Oh what could have been. This loss is excruciating. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, BTB said:

The way KC waltzed through the Bills defense in OT was as bad or worse than "13 seconds".    This friggin' sucks.

The Bills D was gassed and they gave up. They knew that they had already blown the game and they had nothing left. They were praying for the coin toss to go our way and it didnt. I have no idea if Frazier or McD got into their faces during the break before OT started and tried to motivate them but they needed something and miracles just dont happen to the Bills (only against them!).

13 minutes ago, BTB said:

The way KC waltzed through the Bills defense in OT was as bad or worse than "13 seconds".    This friggin' sucks.

It was reminiscent of the TB game.  Fight all 2nd half, playing lights out.  Get to OT...  fold. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The Bills D was gassed and they gave up. They knew that they had already blown the game and they had nothing left. They were praying for the coin toss to go our way and it didnt. I have no idea if Frazier or McD got into their faces during the break before OT started and tried to motivate them but they needed something and miracles just dont happen to the Bills (only against them!).

I'm not sure they were gassed. I think they were deflated and the Chiefs seized the opportunity in front of their fan base. Mahomes, Kelce, Hill , and the fans proved to be a little too much for the defense to overcome. The Chiefs knew they had to score a TD. All the momentum was in their direction after the FG. I think after the Bills lost the coin toss many of us were hoping to hold the Chiefs to a FG but thinking a TD was very likely. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1

yeah I wanted to post in the requiem thread. Last night was utmost JOY combined with utmost sinking stomach Opposite of joy I'd call it I saw RED......thats all I fooking saw was THEIR joy and celebration as I looked at #17 on the bench vacant stare Yeah Josh I get it,,,its hard to process such grand emotions with  the span of seconds.

Im no football coach clearly I am a a diehard fan. I did not realize what a difference a few seconds could have made. .... I had just come down from literally SCREAMING and Jumping up and down in my living room to telling hubby I cant take it went to the bathroom as KC lined up for the fieldgoal to force OT ..I came back it was Tied ...WTAF

I didnt really think that even if kicked deep and ball is set on 25 I thought NO WAY the D would allow Chiefs yards th length of the field in 13 seconds.........Go Clock GO......but then the subsequent plays Im like Noooo Noooo NOOOOOOOOOO

Im feeling like a truck run over today my body is worn out from the spent emotion.

Its just sad for me today

PS: I want to say THANK YOU 2bd for your grace in explaining intrinsic specific football wisdom when Im wrong I really appreciate that.

Best fanbase in the WORLD

m

Edited by muppy
pfft 13 seconds not 18
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, newcam2012 said:

I'm not sure they were gassed. I think they were deflated and the Chiefs seized the opportunity in front of their fan base. Mahomes, Kelce, Hill , and the fans proved to be a little too much for the defense to overcome. The Chiefs knew they had to score a TD. All the momentum was in their direction after the FG. I think after the Bills lost the coin toss many of us were hoping to hold the Chiefs to a FG but thinking a TD was very likely. 

Honestly, the minute they won the toss, the game was effectively over. I think if we had won it, we were scoring six. I was at my best friend's funeral when the Music City Miracle happened. Watched Norwood's wide right in a dorm room at UCLA. This is by far the most devastating loss I've ever experienced.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Josh can put to bed that he can't put together back to back outstanding games

NOONE should have a single syllable of dis  aimed to #17 after that game. Period. If they do they out themselves as either a fool or a hack with an agenda to get clicks. Or very likely BOTH....with a little stupid on the side

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, muppy said:

NOONE should have a single syllable of dis  aimed to #17 after that game. Period. If they do they out themselves as either a fool or a hack with an agenda to get clicks. Or very likely BOTH....with a little stupid on the side

We all know who this person is... rhymes with Prick Wright

• Agree 1

I'm going to comment on Allen's post season because I'm still trying to process what happened last night

48 of 62 77.4% completion rate - ranks 1st

10.3 yards per attempt - tied for 1st

Long of 75 yards - 1st

9 passing TDs - 1st

0 Ints - 1st

Sacked twice - 1st among all QBs that played two games

QBR 94.4 - 1st

Rating 149 - 1st

134 yards rushing - 2nd

7.9 yards per carry - 1st among all players with at least 6 carries

Long of 26 yds - Tied with Deebo Samuel for 6th

67 yards per game - 3rd

10 1st downs - 2nd to Singletary 

He's a unicorn and the future, as much as last night stings, is bright.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Josh can put to bed that he can't put together back to back outstanding games

And yet on one of the shows this AM I heard "Has never won an away playoff game" - just goes to show how stupid so many of those kinds of lazy "stats" are - the loss had nothing to do with him, and his brilliance at the end of the game which *should have* won it will be lost in the L over time

• Agree 1

Maybe mentioned above, so sorry if this is a rinse and repeat.

I can't help but to go back to our 2nd and 3rd drives of the game, after we came out with our 1st drive with aggression and motivation to win this game.  We went for it on 4th down twice on that drive and set the tone for the rest of the game.

Then we follow that drive with two of the most conservative play-calling drives that we've done all season.  Why was that? I knew we were leaving points off the board in those drives that were going to hurt us later in the game. 

Edited by Pokebball
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Classic game.  Buffalo came up short.  Buffalo wins the coin toss they win.  Buffalo has 1 of the 2 best players in the sport. For 10 years this is what is going to decide the superbowl.  Those 2 teams were a tier above the rest.  Kc wins the superbowl.  Buffalo will need to improve this offseason so next season the game is in Buffalo.  They are soo close, home field is that half % difference.  On the road maybe, Mahomes and Kelce aren't able to audible to that pass that sets up the fg.

• Like (+1) 2

Woke up this morning and still hurting.  I think what makes it so hard is that I really hate the Chiefs and this is two years in a row losing on their home field.  If yesterday's result had happened last season, I think I could live with it.  I hope this is all part of the maturation and progression like '89 was for the SB teams or even '18 was for the Chiefs.  At least we now know that we can stand toe-to-toe with the Chiefs on their field.  Two games this year vs them in Arrowhead and we outscored them by +12 and Josh was basically perfect against them in both games.  Very much a Rocky I/II scenario at the moment.  You know that the Chiefs want nothing to do with the Bills going forward, but unfortunately for them, they don't get to choose whether there will be a rematch.   We are coming for them for the foreseeable future.

5 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Maybe mentioned above, so sorry I'm this is a rinse and repeat.

I can't help but to go back to our 2nd and 3rd drives of the game, after we came out with our 1st drive with aggression and motivation to win this game.  We went for it on 4th down twice on that drive and set the tone for the rest of the game.

Then we follow that drive with two of the most conservative play-calling drives that we've done all season.  Why was that? I knew we were leaving points off the board in those drives that were going to hurt us later in the game. 

Agreed.  There were maybe three drives I can recall where we went 3 and out (or close to it) with some terribly conservative playcalling.  Provided zero rest for the defense and it bit us in the ass at the end.  Didn't even need to necessarily score on those drives, but pick up a couple of first downs, flip field position and give the D a bit of rest.  We needed to play with the sense of urgency we saw on the first drive and during the last 8 minutes of the 4th quarter for the entire game.  You have to assume that the Chiefs are going to score on every possession and manage the game accordingly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Lots of talk on Twitter about changing ot rules, and I agree whole heartedly and have for years. I can't believe at one point all you needed in ot was a field goal 

They will change the rule next year and we will score a td in OT then lose when KC scores a TD and 2pt conversion...sarcasm.

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

They will change the rule next year and we will score a td in OT then lose when KC scores a TD and 2pt conversion...sarcasm.

It's honestly not a bad idea. Put 8 or 10 mins on the clock in ot, and there's no pat's, just 2 point conversions after touchdowns 

On the notion that one must categorically be "an idiot" to question Sean McDermott's ability to win playoff football in the NFL:

First, obviously the Bills are a playoff franchise under McDermott whereas prior to McDermott they were 20-year losers. Is that actually a function of McDermott? Or does the fact that the Bills happened to draft possibly the best QB in the NFL play the major determining role? McDermott was 9-7 in his only year without Josh Allen. Nice, many low-scoring close victories in the regular season that year. Would McDermott be winning at the level he has over the past two years if he didn't have one of the league's top QBs? Very simply, no.

Second, is in-game decision-making part of the job description for an NFL coach? I would argue that it is. I would argue that in-game decisions are immensely important, particularly in the playoffs. What glaring in-game mistakes did McDermott make last night? After the beautifully executed and coached opening drive, McDermott reverted to an ultra-conservative coaching style which wasted possessions in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Can any team afford to waste offensive possessions against Kansas City? No. Did McDermott waste possessions? Yes. Did Josh Allen catch fire when given the proper play-calls after McDermott's 3rd quarter punt? Yes. Does McDermott deserve any credit for Allen's otherworldly performance? No. I would suggest that any NFL coach with Josh Allen on his team would benefit from Allen's genius.

So, specifically, what in-game decisions did McDermott make last night which cost his team? He allowed Daboll to improperly call the game offensively after the injury to Honey Badger. You have Josh Allen and you took the ball out of his hands on multiple possessions, when KC had lost a top defensive back, when you know the game is going to require 40ish points, when Kansas City did not waste possessions. That is a game-deciding coaching error. What else? With 13 seconds left in the game, after your QB leads an heroic should-be game-winning drive, you don't kick the ball short of the end zone requiring a Kansas City return to burn off some number of those precious seconds. You make every decision possible, on special teams and on defense, to allow Kansas City to tie the game and send it to overtime. In short, you wasted Josh Allen's performance and wasted a golden opportunity to host an AFC Championship game and win a Super Bowl.

Am I categorically saying "fire McDermott"? No. I wouldn't want to be accused of idiocy after all. Am I saying that Bills fans have a right to seriously question whether Sean McDermott can lead this team to a championship, given his repeated instances of making poor in-game coaching decisions? Yes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Maybe mentioned above, so sorry I'm this is a rinse and repeat.

Agreed.  Idk why they took the ball out of his hand.  Maybe, you can say it set up that 75 yard bomb.  If they have two scoring drives they may not need that 75 yarder.  I dont feel like losing Daboll changes the offense that much.  Allen is great and offensive minds will line up to work with him.  

Pointless, so many could have should haves. But I have not seen much on the Hill TD that took the lead. That should have been called back for taunting. Dont have a frickin rule if your not going to enforce it. 

https://twitter.com/TrainIsland/status/1485440491697147912/photo/1

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/chiefs-bills-tyreek-hill-peace-sign-taunting-refs

Edited by ngbills

27 minutes ago, BernieBill said:

On the notion that one must categorically be "an idiot" to question Sean McDermott's ability to win playoff football in the NFL:

First, obviously the Bills are a playoff franchise under McDermott whereas prior to McDermott they were 20-year losers. Is that actually a function of McDermott? Or does the fact that the Bills happened to draft possibly the best QB in the NFL play the major determining role? McDermott was 9-7 in his only year without Josh Allen. Nice, many low-scoring close victories in the regular season that year. Would McDermott be winning at the level he has over the past two years if he didn't have one of the league's top QBs? Very simply, no.

Second, is in-game decision-making part of the job description for an NFL coach? I would argue that it is. I would argue that in-game decisions are immensely important, particularly in the playoffs. What glaring in-game mistakes did McDermott make last night? After the beautifully executed and coached opening drive, McDermott reverted to an ultra-conservative coaching style which wasted possessions in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Can any team afford to waste offensive possessions against Kansas City? No. Did McDermott waste possessions? Yes. Did Josh Allen catch fire when given the proper play-calls after McDermott's 3rd quarter punt? Yes. Does McDermott deserve any credit for Allen's otherworldly performance? No. I would suggest that any NFL coach with Josh Allen on his team would benefit from Allen's genius.

So, specifically, what in-game decisions did McDermott make last night which cost his team? He allowed Daboll to improperly call the game offensively after the injury to Honey Badger. You have Josh Allen and you took the ball out of his hands on multiple possessions, when KC had lost a top defensive back, when you know the game is going to require 40ish points, when Kansas City did not waste possessions. That is a game-deciding coaching error. What else? With 13 seconds left in the game, after your QB leads an heroic should-be game-winning drive, you don't kick the ball short of the end zone requiring a Kansas City return to burn off some number of those precious seconds. You make every decision possible, on special teams and on defense, to allow Kansas City to tie the game and send it to overtime. In short, you wasted Josh Allen's performance and wasted a golden opportunity to host an AFC Championship game and win a Super Bowl.

Am I categorically saying "fire McDermott"? No. I wouldn't want to be accused of idiocy after all. Am I saying that Bills fans have a right to seriously question whether Sean McDermott can lead this team to a championship, given his repeated instances of making poor in-game coaching decisions? Yes.

one comment I would like to make is in regards to the bolded. This to me is not giving credit to the current regime for Drafting Allen in the first place fcol.  He was NO consensus favorite most rated him 3-4th QB......remember??What IF they had taken Rosen lol u catch my drift. I dont think its fair to disparage McD for having a Winning QB when He was directly involved with That Very Decision.

m

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

Still irrational, still fuming about yesterday. I don't care about how it was a great game. I don't care Chiefs fans were coming up to Bills supporters afterwards giving credit. I don't care that media pundits have finally woken up to what a talent Josh Allen is. I don't care that we're getting positive comment after positive comment. Words are empty and mean nothing. Whether we lost i OT or blown out 42-0, it's the same outcome.

I thought it'd I feel better by now. It's going to take a long long time to.

4 minutes ago, muppy said:

one comment I would like to make is in regards to the bolded. This to me is not giving credit to the current regime for Drafting Allen in the first lace fcol.  He was NO consensus favorite most rated him 3-4th QB......remember??What IF they had taken Rosen lol u catch my drift. I dont think its fair to disparage McD for having a Winning QB when He was directly involved with That Very Decision.

m

I respect your take.  But at the end of the day, the General Manager makes the draft pick and the coach coaches.  I give Beane credit for drafting Allen.  If McDermott contributed to the decision, that's fine, credit to him for that.  But that certainly doesn't cancel out the in-game coaching errors, imo.  You cannot kick the ball into the end zone on the last kickoff.  You cannot call two timeouts on defense and then watch as the Chiefs get huge chunks of yards after each timeout, setting up a game-tying FG.  It was the most poorly managed 13 seconds in NFL playoff history.  To win football games at the highest level requires coaching decisions at the highest level.  McDermott has proven again and again and again that he is a poor manager of the clock and a poor in-game strategist.  I hope he improves but I'm skeptical.  With Josh Allen, I would love to be able to feel complete confidence that the head coach won't ***** defeat from the jaws of victory.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, boco357 said:

So many forgotten things, like if they don't call a penalty on the Chiefs on Sanders play, clock would run.  bills likely call time out there but maybe another second or two comes off.

If they miss the 2 point converison, maybe D changes up too.

Was thinking this same thing today. Wish they missed the 2 point conversion. Would have preferred to decide the game in regulation with hindsight being 20/20 and seeing that garbage OT completion. 

2 minutes ago, BernieBill said:

I respect your take.  But at the end of the day, the General Manager makes the draft pick and the coach coaches.  I give Beane credit for drafting Allen.  If McDermott contributed to the decision, that's fine, credit to him for that.  But that certainly doesn't cancel out the in-game coaching errors, imo.  You cannot kick the ball into the end zone on the last kickoff.  You cannot call two timeouts on defense and then watch as the Chiefs get huge chunks of yards after each timeout, setting up a game-tying FG.  It was the most poorly managed 13 seconds in NFL playoff history.  To win football games at the highest level requires coaching decisions at the highest level.  McDermott has proven again and again and again that he is a poor manager of the clock and a poor in-game strategist.  I hope he improves but I'm skeptical.  With Josh Allen, I would love to be able to feel complete confidence that the head coach won't ***** defeat from the jaws of victory.  

good talk TYVM  I respect your take also. m

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FlaFitz1 said:

I'm going to comment on Allen's post season because I'm still trying to process what happened last night

48 of 62 77.4% completion rate - ranks 1st

10.3 yards per attempt - tied for 1st

Long of 75 yards - 1st

9 passing TDs - 1st

0 Ints - 1st

Sacked twice - 1st among all QBs that played two games

QBR 94.4 - 1st

Rating 149 - 1st

134 yards rushing - 2nd

7.9 yards per carry - 1st among all players with at least 6 carries

Long of 26 yds - Tied with Deebo Samuel for 6th

67 yards per game - 3rd

10 1st downs - 2nd to Singletary 

He's a unicorn and the future, as much as last night stings, is bright.

Romo said just before the end of the game that it is incredulous that Allen has thrown for 9 TDs in 2 games of the playoffs and may still end up losing this game. 

9 TDs - 0 INTs in the playoffs puts QBs in the SB, not on a couch watching the conference championship games

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.