AFC Wildcard Rooting Interests Week 15

EmotionallyUnstable

I didn’t see a thread from @SlimShady'sSpaceForce on match-ups. 

With the Thursday night game in the books, here is a look at the AFC win/losses of teams that are hanging around (not seeded, just records)These picks are specifically assuming a race for the Wildcard: 

KC 10-4.  (Week 15 complete)

NE 9-4

TEN 9-4

BALT 8-5 

LAC 8-6. (Week 15 complete)

IND 7-6

DEN 7-6

CLV 7-6

CIN 7-6

BUF 7-6 

PIT 6-6-1

LVR 6-7

MIA 6-7

There are a ton of good games this week (NFC too!) with undoubtable playoff implications. I have bolded the teams who I think we want to win . Take a look: 

SATURDAY:

Browns (7-6) vs. Raiders (6-7)

Patriots (9-4) vs. Colts (7-6)

SUNDAY EARLY:

Titans (9-4) vs. Steelers (6-6-1)

Jets (Dumpster Fire) vs. Dolphins (6-7)

Bills (7-6) vs. Panthers (NFC, idk/idc)

SUNDAY LATE:

Bengals (7-6) vs. Broncos (7-6)

Denver has three tough games left (Raiders, Chargers, Chiefs) 

Packers (NFC, idk/idc) vs. Ravens (8-5)

This would have the standings following week 15 looking like this:

Division Leaders (not seeded)

KC 10-4.  

NE 10-4

TEN 10-4

BALT 8-6

Wildcard (not seeded)

LAC 8-6. 

DEN 8-6

BUF 8-6

In the hunt (not seeded)

IND 7-7

LVR 7-7

CLV 7-7

CIN 7-7

PIT 6-7-1

MIA 6-8

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 2

That Pats/Colts game really should tell us our best shot at seeding. Pats win and our only hope is to win out and hope the Dolphins beat the Pats again in the final week.

Colts win and we control our own destiny to the AFCE title.  I'm pulling for the Colts here since division is still in play and I feel like the Bills stand a great shot at winning out.

• Like (+1) 16
  • Agree 9

13 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Don't we want NE to lose can still win division?

Yes. For some reason multiple people here haven’t grasped this yet. This was discussed in a different thread Thursday night and even today we still have posters wanting the Pats to beat the Colts. It doesn’t make sense at all. 

Isn’t the issue whether the Bills could be completely eliminated if it comes down to a tie between them and Indianapolis? Obviously the Bills need to win on Sunday. But as to the Pats and Colts all you can do is wait for the final score and see what it means. Rooting for either one is probably a crap shoot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

As much as I hate the thought of KC having home field advantage throughout the playoffs again, the Chargers blowing that game last night was good for the Bills if we don’t win the division.

Still, I agree the best results this weekend would be Indy over Pats*** and a Bills win, which essentially sets up a showdown for the division the following week (and yes, I’m presuming the Bills will beat Atlanta and the Nyets).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

With the Thursday night game in the books, here is a look at the AFC win/losses of teams that are hanging around (not seeded, just records)These picks are specifically assuming a race for the Wildcard: 

NE 9-4

TEN 9-4

BALT 8-5 

IND 7-6

DEN 7-6

CLV 7-6

CIN 7-6

BUF 7-6 

PIT 6-6-1

LVR 6-7

MIA 6-7

There are a ton of good games this week (NFC too!) with undoubtable playoff implications. I have bolded the teams who I think we want to win . Take a look: 

SATURDAY:

SUNDAY EARLY:

SUNDAY LATE:

KC 10-4.  

NE 10-4

TEN 10-4

BALT 8-6

Wildcard (not seeded)

LAC 8-6. 

DEN 8-6

BUF 8-6

In the hunt (not seeded)

IND 7-7

LVR 7-7

CLV 7-7

CIN 7-7

PIT 6-7-1

MIA 6-8

GO BILLS!!!

I disagree on the Pats-Colts. Go Colts. I want a shot at the division. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Isn’t the issue whether the Bills could be completely eliminated if it comes down to a tie between them and Indianapolis? Obviously the Bills need to win on Sunday. But as to the Pats and Colts all you can do is wait for the final score and see what it means. Rooting for either one is probably a crap shoot. 

As long as the Bills win out they are in. After that, it's just a matter of the tiebreaker playing into seeding between the Colts and Bills if both are in the Wild Card.

Edited by No Place To Hyde

Yeah got to root for Ne to lose and have a shot at the division.

If we can’t beat Ne then what do we really have? A team that’s beaten no one all season, hoping to sneak In with help. 

Even if the Pats win against Indy  I need to see four wins to give some hope maybe we can do some damage. Four wins and we may be talked about as a hot team coming into form. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

NE 9-4

TEN 9-4

BALT 8-5 

IND 7-6

DEN 7-6

CLV 7-6

CIN 7-6

BUF 7-6 

PIT 6-6-1

LVR 6-7

MIA 6-7

SATURDAY:

SUNDAY EARLY:

SUNDAY LATE:

KC 10-4.  

NE 10-4

TEN 10-4

BALT 8-6

Wildcard (not seeded)

LAC 8-6. 

DEN 8-6

BUF 8-6

In the hunt (not seeded)

IND 7-7

LVR 7-7

CLV 7-7

CIN 7-7

PIT 6-7-1

MIA 6-8

GO BILLS!!!

Agree with all of this except Jets over Miami.   

NE/Indy I can go either way.  Just a frustrating position we’re in that I can’t just straight up root for Indy.   One paves the way for the division championship, while the other gives us more cushion if we don’t run off 4 straight. 

Miami could potentially help us and we’d have to lose twice for them to clear us with the head to head sweep.  

I’d rather they have something to play for against Tennessee and New England.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Yeah got to root for Ne to lose and have a shot at the division.

If we can’t beat Ne then what do we really have? A team that’s beaten no one all season, hoping to sneak In with help. 

lol pretty much!   Besides KC (and Washington, who’s turning out to be fairly decent I guess).

EDIT: and Miami!  (although, they were a tire fire when we played em)

Edited by RiotAct

The Patriots colts game isn’t something to get all fired up about. Either way 1 of them are going to lose and either way that’s good for us. If the colts lose, great now there’s another loss for a wildcard team that has a head to head over is. If the Pats lose, great now if the Bills handle their own here against the Panthers then the following week is for the division. Nobody is right or wrong on their rooting interest on that one. First things first, this team has to get in. The division is nice but it’s not necessary. Being the 5 or 6 would actually probably give us a better first round matchup anyway but…just beat the Panthers and take it from there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Agree with all of this except Jets over Miami.   

Miami could potentially help us and we’d have to lose twice for them to clear us with the head to head sweep.  

I’d rather they have something to play for against Tennessee and New England.  

This is a fact. And believe it or not...Miami could potentially knock NE out of the playoffs.

Miami (6-7) has:

Jets

Saints

Titans

Patriots

NE (9-4) has:

Colts

Buffalo

Jacksonville

Miami

Miami should beat the Jets and Saints. And if they beat the Titans would be sitting at 9-7 for the Pats rematch.

NE should beat Jacksonville. If they drop games to the Colts and Bills (both possible) they sit at 10-6.

Miami and NE would basically be a play-in game with the winner advancing (Miami hits the 7 seed). 

NE it 10-7 would have lost the tiebreaker to Miami, the Colts, and the Bills (providing we win out). 

Hopefully Frank Reich can come through this weekend for the Bills 1 more time.

Edited by No Place To Hyde
  • Like (+1) 1

I’m still thinking we can win the division! Likely going to be a tough road to travel this Saturday for the Pats with the Colts and if they lose and we win, we will be playing for the division next week. I fully believe the Bills will stomp them if so. 

Good to know though. 

3 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

That Pats/Colts game really should tell us our best shot at seeding. Pats win and our only hope is to win out and hope the Dolphins beat the Pats again in the final week.

Colts win and we control our own destiny to the AFCE title.  I'm pulling for the Colts here since division is still in play and I feel like the Bills stand a great shot at winning out.

If pats lose to colts all the bills have to do is win out we would own div tie breaker 

3 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I just don't think the Bills are good enough and or consistent enough to win out. We have a body of work (14 weeks) that says otherwise.  Add in the loss of Tre and a less then 100% Allen. I don't think they have a "great shot" to win out. Sure the schedule is favorable but this is a team that lost to the Jags.

Edited by newcam2012

18 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

I’m still thinking we can win the division! Likely going to be a tough road to travel this Saturday for the Pats with the Colts and if they lose and we win, we will be playing for the division next week. I fully believe the Bills will stomp them if so. 

Good to know though. 

Said it above....

Colts win this weekend--->Bills and Dolphins win out--> NE misses playoffs entirely. Wouldn't that be awesome?😂

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I just don't think the Bills are good enough and or consistent enough to win out. We have a body of work (14 weeks) that says otherwise.  Add in the loss of Tre and a less then 100% Allen. I don't think they have a "great shot" to win out. Sure the schedule is favorable but this is a team that lost to the Jags.

Oh. You again. Yay. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

They have been pretty good at beating bad teams except for the Jags game. The Panthers, Falcons, and Jets all fit that description. If the Colts win tomorrow night then I really believe the division will be decided next Sunday in NE. I think the Bills will take care of business in their remaining home games.

• Like (+1) 1

@EmotionallyUnstable

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2021/12/16/22839838/buffalo-bills-rooting-interests-for-week-15-feature-huge-games-in-afc-playoff-picture

There’s your linky 

Indianapolis Colts (7-6) over New England Patriots (9-4)

for sure!!!

Green Bay Packers over Baltimore Ravens
Very likely 

This one will be interesting 

The loser takes a big hit in the standings 

Pittsburgh Steelers (6-6-1) over Tennessee Titans (9-4)

of course that applies to every team now.  

22 minutes ago, Greg S said:

They have been pretty good at beating bad teams except for the Jags game. The Panthers, Falcons, and Jets all fit that description. If the Colts win tomorrow night then I really believe the division will be decided next Sunday in NE. I think the Bills will take care of business in their remaining home games.

I get it. It's safe to say good teams make the playoffs. How is the Bills team at playing good teams? 

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I really think the Pats winning hurts our chances.

And I never root for them to win, so I won't be this time either.

I don't know if it hurts our chances as that means the Colts lose. They do have the tiebreaker over the Bills. But I am rooting for the Colts. I want the Bills to have a shot at the division if they can get it.

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I get it. It's safe to say good teams make the playoffs. How is the Bills team at playing good teams? 

Well they did beat KC at Arrowhead. They did beat the Bucs in Tampa but lost to the refs in Tampa which ultimately cost them the game. The Titans game was a great game that went back and forth. The Bills fell just short in that one. The only really bad game against a good team was the Colts. They are capable of beating any team but also losing to them as well. Get in the playoffs and see what happens.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Well they did beat KC at Arrowhead. They did beat the Bucs in Tampa but lost to the refs in Tampa which ultimately cost them the game. The Titans game was a great game that went back and forth. The Bills fell just short in that one. The only really bad game against a good team was the Colts. They are capable of beating any team but also losing to them as well. Get in the playoffs and see what happens.

I agree get into the playoffs and see what happens. Allen can carry The team pretty far. 

Let me give you my viewpoint. They have played poorly against good teams. Pitt they got dominated in their home opener. Colts destroyed them enough said there. The Pats won the game in the trenches and didn't even pass literally. The Titans beat the Bills. Defense couldn't stop them. Bucs game lost again. You can make excuses but good teams find a ways to win. This team is 7-6 which is extremely disappointed to me. I really thought we had a legitimate chance to make a super bowl appearance. Not sure how anyone can say that after 13 games into this season. Sure anything can happen and I'm still hopeful the Bills can finish strong,  make the playoffs and win games. 

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Oh. You again. Yay. 

Thanks appreciate it. 

12 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I agree get into the playoffs and see what happens. Allen can carry The team pretty far. 

Let me give you my viewpoint. They have played poorly against good teams. Pitt they got dominated in their home opener. Colts destroyed them enough said there. The Pats won the game in the trenches and didn't even pass literally. The Titans beat the Bills. Defense couldn't stop them. Bucs game lost again. You can make excuses but good teams find a ways to win. This team is 7-6 which is extremely disappointed to me. I really thought we had a legitimate chance to make a super bowl appearance. Not sure how anyone can say that after 13 games into this season. Sure anything can happen and I'm still hopeful the Bills can finish strong,  make the playoffs and win games. 

Thanks appreciate it. 

As far as the trenches go the blame points directly at Beane. I know they lost at Tampa and like Parcells says "you are what your record says you are" but I really believe they win that game if not for the refs but we will never know. The Pats game was weird. NE had over 200 yards rushing but the Bills won the time of possession. The Bills had 6 or 7 trips inside the red zone while NE only had 2. The Pats also had a lot of 3 and outs if I remember correctly while the Bills moved the ball up and down the field between the 20's. It doesn't matter though as the Pats won but I sure would like the Bills to have another shot at them with the division at stake. I definitely think the Bills would have a good chance to win the rematch. Lets Go Colts and Lets Go Bills.

Edited by Greg S

10 minutes ago, Greg S said:

As far as the trenches go the blame points directly at Beane. I know they lost at Tampa and like Parcells says "you are what your record says you are" but I really believe they win that game if not for the refs but we will never know. The Pats game was weird. NE had over 200 yards rushing but the Bills won the time of possession. The Bills had 6 or 7 trips inside the red zone while NE only had 2. The Pats also had a lot of 3 and outs if I remember correctly while the Bills moved the ball up and down the field between the 20's. It doesn't matter though as the Pats won but I sure would like the Bills to have another shot at them with the division at stake. I definitely think the Bills would have a good chance to win the rematch. Lets Go Colts and Lets Go Bills.

That's fair. The Bills are weaker than very good teams in the trenches. Offensively, they fail to adequately protect their franchise QB and can't or don't run effectively.

On defense, stopping the run including the home runs and generating a consistent pass rush is a resounding failure theme. 

It's very hard to beat quality teams with such line weaknesses. Thus, the Bills are 7-6. If Allen doesn't play phenomenal the Bills chances of winning are vastly diminished. At this point, it's hard to imagine the Bills lines are going to be vastly different and effective. Imho, the line issues will be exposed even more in the playoffs ( assuming the Bills make it there). It's really a recipe to lose. Most would agree the game is won in the trenches. 

JAGUARS 9 - BILLS 6.  - STILL AN UNBELIEVABLY BAD LOSS. Bills do not recover from that stench. Finish 9-8.  Rousseau and Basham almost NO impact. Both belong on a milk carton. Oliver is no stud for a #9 pick, and is the definition of mediocrity. Epenesa and Ford are busts. Bills are paying the price this year, and likely next season as well for these horrendous early round whiffs.    

I have to believe that we can win out. So I am going to pull for Colts over Pats and then I hope we crush Pats. If we do that and win the division, then much of my disappointment on how things have gone so far will disappear. We've had a tough year with lots of bad bounces and calls. I think we get the mojo back and start to get some breaks and get hot. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.