#1 Defense, #8 Offense, 7-6

st pete gogolak

1 hour ago, PaattMaann said:

We have statistically been the unluckiest team in the league (twitter threads about it, dont have time to link here, you can easily find it).

0-5 in one score games

No obvious PI calls in crucial game winning situations multiple times

We are a couple coin flips away from being 10-3/9-4

I'm not too worried honestly, thems the breaks sometime in the NFL. Just gotta win out and we will likely win the division, and at the very least make the playoffs. Get into the dance and anything can happen. 

Objectively, 10-3.  Just off the top of my head...

Titans- Blatant hold on Henry's big TD run.  McKenzie's return TD called back on phantom hold.

Jaguars- More uncalled false starts than I could count, blatant holds, uncalled Offside costing Allen a free play.

Buccaneers- The elephant in the room, no more needs to be said.

Might even be able to toss in another win from a variety of BS across the other two losses not against the Colts.

17 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Buffalo wins out or goes 3-1 down the stretch thats a pretty good stretch.  They will have a top 10 offense and defense.  In all but 1 matchup the best Qb in the game will be Allen.  They will be extremely dangerous.  

Takes a bit more than just a QB to win in the post season. How many games haa Rodgers lost in the post season where he was the better QB? Brees? Marino? 

Fact is Allen is dangerous. Our oline will be the Achilles Heel....as we have seen all year long. 

It's wonderful that we have a "top 10" offense and defense. Even with that we are still 3-5 in our last 8 games and pretty lucky to have the Panthers, Falcons and Jets as 3 of our last 4. We will again feed of bad teams and most likely be 1 and done when it matters if this season has been any indication.

However, yes once post season starts anything "can happen".

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

We are the best 7-6 team in football. Look out!

We might be the biggest bandwagon fans though.  It is basically a very similar team to last year.  We went to the AFC Championship last year.  This year struggling more obviously.  So fire the head coach?  That is insane.  I would start with changing the OC. 

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Oh come on! So why watch then if you’re going to blame the refs for every loss? Just put the damn ball in the end zone!!

They would if they receiver wasn’t getting mugged. Diggs had no chance to catch that ball the other day because his jersey pulled down to his stomach. 

3 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

This looks like it’s probably due to poor coaching. They are stepping on the gas, in terms of offensive or defensive success, but not at critical points in the game. The result is they don’t win the game. 

I just think it is a mix of a lot of things. Yes, coaching is part of it. Preparation. Offensive scheme. Defensive line rotation. Lack of talent in a few areas. Bad luck. Bad officiating. Lack of execution by the players. Maybe there are some positional coaches that need to be replaced.

It has all added up to some lost games. But, it isn't a lack of overall player talent or overall caliber of coaches. We have the players and coaches we need to make a run, even though they aren't perfect. That's what gives me a sliver of hope. They just need to all do a better job and really work hard.

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

They would if they receiver wasn’t getting mugged. Diggs had no chance to catch that ball the other day because his jersey pulled down to his stomach. 

So Scott....let me ask again. Why watch anymore?  Was it a penalty?  Yes it was.  

Why are the Bills 7-6 instead of 10-3?  The answer remains the same: they couldn't score at the end of the game inside the opponents ten yard line.

bad execution in the RZ is our primary issue but to be 0-5 in once score games is such bad luck. To be even 2-3 would mean a world of difference on how we all feel about this team.

Last year we had the Rams game and the Patriots game 1 where we won games on some luck. This year we have the the opposite in the Titans game and the Buccs game where some bad luck lost it for us.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Listen we have read it on here all week.  We suck.  The coaches suck.  Stats lie.  Get on board the hate train bro!!!! 

You all have fun with that, don’t be knocking for the Super Bowl train when we get there.  When the train is a rockin’ don’t bother knocking see your way away. 

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So Scott....let me ask again. Why watch anymore?  Was it a penalty?  Yes it was.  

Why are the Bills 7-6 instead of 10-3?  The answer remains the same: they couldn't score at the end of the game inside the opponents ten yard line.

I don’t really watch football outside the Bills anymore. Haven’t for years. 

true they didn’t score a td at the end. 

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

I don’t really watch football outside the Bills anymore. Haven’t for years. 

true they didn’t score a td at the end. 

You have to know what you're getting yourself into these days when you watch the NFL. Goodell has messed up things badly. But with that said, I really don't believe the whole world is out to get the City of Buffalo. It really just comes down to Dabol and Allen executing better plays in the clutch. I wish it wasn't that simple...but it actually is.

I haven't read through this entire thread but does anyone else think it's remarkable how many razor thin first down spots have either gone against us or gone for our opponents?!?  It's another factor in the 7-6 record.  Allen quite possibly had the 1st down deep in the Tennessee red zone late..   Allen came within an eyelash of getting the first down just before the Diggs non-hold.  I think his foot grazed the white boundary.  Then Fournette gets a first down by a hair, if the refs had marked him just short they would not have overturned it either and it would've been 4th down.  There are some other example but i won't dwell on it.  Just beat Carolina.

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

I haven't read through this entire thread but does anyone else think it's remarkable how many razor thin first down spots have either gone against us or gone for our opponents?!?  It's another factor in the 7-6 record.  Allen quite possibly had the 1st down deep in the Tennessee red zone late..   Allen came within an eyelash of getting the first down just before the Diggs non-hold.  I think his foot grazed the white boundary.  Then Fournette gets a first down by a hair, if the refs had marked him just short they would not have overturned it either and it would've been 4th down.  There are some other example but i won't dwell on it.  Just beat Carolina.

There are dozens of plays in a football game. You have to make the play at end, when you have the chance to win. Josh needs to score on the QB sneak in Nashville. Josh needs to hit Beasley in the end zone against the Patriots. Daboll has to have a better play than an all-or-nothing fade to Diggs against Tampa.  Make all three of those plays and they are 10-3.  It really is that simple. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Takes a bit more than just a QB to win in the post season. How many games haa Rodgers lost in the post season where he was the better QB? Brees? Marino? 

Fact is Allen is dangerous. Our oline will be the Achilles Heel....as we have seen all year long. 

It's wonderful that we have a "top 10" offense and defense. Even with that we are still 3-5 in our last 8 games and pretty lucky to have the Panthers, Falcons and Jets as 3 of our last 4. We will again feed of bad teams and most likely be 1 and done when it matters if this season has been any indication.

However, yes once post season starts anything "can happen".

The season hasnt gone the way I would hope.  Last year everything came up aces until it didnt.  This year Buffalo wont be the favorites if they make it.  All those guys made superbowl runs when they werent the favorites too.  

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The season hasnt gone the way I would hope.  Last year everything came up aces until it didnt.  This year Buffalo wont be the favorites if they make it.  All those guys made superbowl runs when they werent the favorites too.  

All those guys have a combined 2 Super Bowl wins. Main reason they don't have more IMO is that they were not given enough talent to surround them. Much like Allen this season.

Perhaps he goes on a Joe Flacco-like playoff run and single-handedly wills the Bills to victory for the next 8 games. Heck, he almost did it against the Bucs on Sunday. While I can admit (and hope) anything is possible, I believe it is also fair to point out that it is at the very least improbable. 

5 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

All those guys have a combined 2 Super Bowl wins. Main reason they don't have more IMO is that they were not given enough talent to surround them. Much like Allen this season.

Perhaps he goes on a Joe Flacco-like playoff run and single-handedly wills the Bills to victory for the next 8 games. Heck, he almost did it against the Bucs on Sunday. While I can admit (and hope) anything is possible, I believe it is also fair to point out that it is at the very least improbable. 

Brees and Rodgers only Superbowls were off wildcard seasons.  Only way Buffalo wins a Superbowl is Allen carrying them to it.  

37 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

There are dozens of plays in a football game. You have to make the play at end, when you have the chance to win. Josh needs to score on the QB sneak in Nashville. Josh needs to hit Beasley in the end zone against the Patriots. Daboll has to have a better play than an all-or-nothing fade to Diggs against Tampa.  Make all three of those plays and they are 10-3.  It really is that simple. 

I agree. I love JA but he missed two TD throws against Pats. Dawkins got blown up in Tenn. I want McDermott gone but I thought he made the right call in Tennessee game.  Hated the punt on 4th and 3 against Tampa.  100% agree on pass to Diggs. That was the wrong call. Their defense was gassed. JA could have sat in the pocket all day until someone broke open. Bad decision. Diggs is a great WR but a fade or even a back shoulder is not his route. That is Hopkins or Adams. Same way you don't throw a fade to Tyrese Hill. Diggs is an elite route runner with elite hands. Let him run a real pattern to get open. 

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I agree. I love JA but he missed two TD throws against Pats. Dawkins got blown up in Tenn. I want McDermott gone but I thought he made the right call in Tennessee game.  Hated the punt on 4th and 3 against Tampa.  100% agree on pass to Diggs. That was the wrong call. Their defense was gassed. JA could have sat in the pocket all day until someone broke open. Bad decision. Diggs is a great WR but a fade or even a back shoulder is not his route. That is Hopkins or Adams. Same way you don't throw a fade to Tyrese Hill. Diggs is an elite route runner with elite hands. Let him run a real pattern to get open. 

Likewise, I agree!  I've been watching this sport for over 50 years, and I can never understand why Teams don't simply run the play where the entire team slides to the left while the TE fakes a block and then sneaks out the back of the formation to the deep right corner. That play is WIDE OPEN at least 95% of the time!   The Bills almost never use it.

4 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

We have statistically been the unluckiest team in the league (twitter threads about it, dont have time to link here, you can easily find it).

0-5 in one score games

No obvious PI calls in crucial game winning situations multiple times

We are a couple coin flips away from being 10-3/9-4

I'm not too worried honestly, thems the breaks sometime in the NFL. Just gotta win out and we will likely win the division, and at the very least make the playoffs. Get into the dance and anything can happen. 

If you are 0-5 in 1 score games, at what point do you begin to consider it's not just "bad luck"?  0-6?  0-8?

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If you are 0-5 in 1 score games, at what point do you begin to consider it's not just "bad luck"?  0-6?  0-8?

Last year we were 6-1 (I think, including playoffs) in 1 score games, with an almost identical team and coaching staff.  So maybe we're just evening out? 

Honestly though, I think to some extent it can definitely be attributed to luck, I think some of it also can be attributed to poor coaching decisions and bad execution / mistakes by players in crucial situations.  In any of the 5 games, you can point to a missed call, or a bad call against us, or an unusually great play made by the other team.  In any of the 5 games you can also find a play we didn't make, or a really bad play call that burned us. 

It all adds up...

Edited by Captain Caveman
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I think it falls on the QB despite it not being fair but Allen can grow from this. Has not had as good of a year as last year and offense hasn’t been in sync. In 1 score games this year we have been terrible and those are the games he needs to take over and carry team despite shortcomings around him. Those are the type of games that makes a good player great.

We are out coached, our O-Line sucks, I wanted to address NT but we just had to give Star another chance to look like dog *****. Edmunds is a China doll and makes me sick to watch. If we get 2 good upgrades on the O-line, get that space eater NT that takes the double team off Oliver and upgrades at MLB and RB we are elite SB contenders. If Allen keeps taking hits he will get injured, he needs to be coached to get yardage and slide. I feel like we have a three year window to win a SB. We have a very slim chance this year but 2022 and 2023 are going to be our best chance.

I think this all goes back to forcing our guys to hold that Sabres sign as a marketing gimmick.  

I also think that they’ve approached this season with the wrong mindset.  They bought into the hype about themselves and absolutely got punched in the face Week 1 by sleep walking into that game.  While the coaching may be suspect I think the players think that they can just turn it on and off.  The reality is they can’t. It’s in their heads.  It’s in their preparation.  It’s in their execution.  I don’t know why but I think that’s the problem.

5 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Thats what this season reminds me of. Just weird bounces and a disappointing season

Thanks for posting this.  Really interesting video.  It shows that the Chargers' special teams were historically bad.  Consecutive punts blocked?  Are you kidding me?  What's interesting is that the Bills haven't had anywhere near that type of performance on special teams.  It's not being able to score TD's in the Red Zone for sure, which is a result of not being able to run the ball.  Still, two wins out of five in one score games puts you at 9 - 4 and leading the AFC.  I can't remember being as disappointed in a season as this one.  Even the 2 - 14 seasons in the 80's.  Maybe the nightmare of losing to Belichick and Brady on consecutive weeks is the cause.  At this point, 10 - 7 and one upset win in the playoffs would be reasonable.  Think about how that would have gone over with the fanbase before the season started.  

The issue is NOT one-score losses. That stat is just the final score. There's a big difference between a game where we score a meaningless touchdown or field goal to make a game look closer than it really was. The problem with the 2021 Bills has been the inability of the Offense to score on the final possession DEEP in the opponent's Red Zone. Period.

30 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The issue is NOT one-score losses. That stat is just the final score. There's a big difference between a game where we score a meaningless touchdown or field goal to make a game look closer than it really was. The problem with the 2021 Bills has been the inability of the Offense to score on the final possession DEEP in the opponent's Red Zone. Period.

Agreed.  There's legitimate one score losses and bogus one score losses.  The Steelers game is closer to the latter than the former.  You're absolutely right that the mind blowing thing about the losses this year is that Titans, Pats and Bucs are absolutely agonizing losses where we are deep in the Red Zone with legitimate chances to win the game.  Even JAX, we are a Gabriel Davis drop (someone who doesn't drop a lot of passes) from being in FG range to at a minimum send it into overtime.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.