A Breakdown of the Failed Fake Punt vs the Buccaneers

HoofHearted

Saw a lot of people bashing the play design of the fake punt on here so I thought I'd break it down so everyone could see what the coaching staff saw. Coaches designed the fake so that we could get numbers to the offensive left side of the play. The backside (Center, Right Guard, and Right Tackle) are essentially blocking Power here (Center and Right Tackle block down while Right Guard pulls to wrap on the opposite side). To the playside they are zone over-take blocking which essentially means the Left Tackle and Left Guard are going to combo the Tackle until the Left Guard can overtake him and then the Left Tackle will work up to a 2nd level defender (the Sam in this case). The slot to the playside (Gilliam) is responsible for overtaking the End (get outside leverage and pin him back inside). Gilliam does a poor job of reaching the End and never does get outside leverage of him, but with a chip from the pulling Right Guard (Dodson) the play could have still been successful. What ultimately blew the play up was Matakevich and Giles-Harris actually do a really good job with their zone over-take. Matakevich has great positioning on the Tackle but then just lets him go and works to the second level (either there was a miscommunication on the combo or the timing of the play was off). Either way Matakevich has to stay on that block longer as the Tackle was ultimately the one who made the tackle on the play.

Overall the play design was sound vs what the Buccaneers were showing. If executed properly, we had numbers on the left side and should have easily been able to pick up the first down and likely a lot more.

image0.jpeg

Edited by HoofHearted
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

On first viewing it looked to me like Breida was at fault for getting tripped up so easily. He is fast but has zero contact balance.

I have still yet to see this "fast" on the field. Spiller was fast. Fast was when you were in the open, no one can catch you. This guy gets run down by a lineman on that play. He may be fast in shorts running a 40, but have not seen this on the field. Its been a major disappointment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I read that Breida hasn't lined up at the position on special teams at which he lined up for that play ALL SEASON LONG.

So yeah, seeing a guy who is not usually out there, on the field for the punt, at a spot on the field where defenses are on the alert for a fake anyway, would certainly be a massive tip of the hand to any opposing unit with decent intelligence. Just like putting Breida in the backfield on the fake QB sneak HB pitch in week 1 against the Steelers.

If you put a dude out there that's not usually out there, it's gonna be pretty hard to fool the defense.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Nothing on film suggests they picked up that Breida was in the game (slow getting lined up, no one communicating or pointing, no one on the second level in a stance even). Regardless, it's not about fooling the defense with the personnel you put on the field. They could very well have known a fake was coming - they'd still have to stop it. It's a defensive play just like any other on 1st-3rd down. Every player has their assignment and executes it the same whether it's a punt or fake. The design of the fake was a solid one for the look they got from the Bucs.

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Whoever handed the ball off to Breida should've just kept it and continued right. He could've run open for days.

Incorrect, they overloaded that side. Would have been a sure tackle for loss.

Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 10.07.15 AM.jpg

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I don't mind going for it there...I do mind taking the ball out of Allen's hands.

That's what I questioned as well.

20 minutes ago, Logic said:

I read that Breida hasn't lined up at the position on special teams at which he lined up for that play ALL SEASON LONG.

So yeah, seeing a guy who is not usually out there, on the field for the punt, at a spot on the field where defenses are on the alert for a fake anyway, would certainly be a massive tip of the hand to any opposing unit with decent intelligence. Just like putting Breida in the backfield on the fake QB sneak HB pitch in week 1 against the Steelers.

If you put a dude out there that's not usually out there, it's gonna be pretty hard to fool the defense.

Just don't know why you don't let Allen try and get two yards either running or throwing it. 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

That was my EXACT thought when I saw he was out there. Did they really think they were fooling the Bucs?? Terrible.....

13 minutes ago, Process said:

McDermott makes a lot of terrible in game decisions. This was definitely one of the worst we've seen. 

Would this be McDermott or Special teams coordinator play design? Does McDermott call the play or does he just say let's fake the punt and they have a play they call?🤔

21 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Just don't know why you don't let Allen try and get two yards either running or throwing it. 

That's my complaint, too. If you've decided you're going for it, do you REALLY think a punt fake sweep to Breida has a better chance of getting two yards than letting Allen -- the best player on your roster -- run or throw it?

2 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Would this be McDermott or Special teams coordinator play design? Does McDermott call the play or does he just say let's fake the punt and they have a play they call?🤔

I don't hate the play design. I hate the decision to go for a fake punt on a 4th and 2 from the 45 down 24-3 in the 2nd half. Why go for a fake when the opponent is going to be on high alert watching for a fake?  Just run a play with the offense and leave it up to your $250 million QB (who is worth every penny) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

That's my complaint, too. If you've decided you're going for it, do you REALLY think a punt fake sweep to Breida has a better chance of getting two yards than letting Allen -- the best player on your roster -- run or throw it?

Allen was the best player on the field in that game, on either team.

10 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Typically SPT Coordinator will come up with the scheme (with approval from the head coach). Head Coach will just determine when/if he wants it run in a game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

A problem with the situation that has not yet been raised in the thread is that the play was run after a time out.  That gave the Bucs time to settle their troops and better prepare for the potential fake.  It gave their coaches a chance to remind the players to "watch for the fake."   If they had just trotted out the punt team as per usual and ran the fake, they may have had a much better chance of success.  Perhaps Tampa would have seen Breida on the field and called their own timeout, at which point, you know they have figured it out and you either just punt or you run the offense back out.

And, as many others have said, just go for it and put the ball in the hands of your best player(s), and don't bother with the fake punt at all.

Edited by msw2112

My complaint with the fake punt was not so much the play design, but the timing of the whole thing in general.

I can't believe we thought it would fool anyone, and it came after NOT making several calls in critical moments, which didn't make sense to me.

I.E., we passed over the chance to gain an advantage through risk several times AND THEN tried the fake punt.

This is yet another black mark on McDermott's rather bad in-game management.

In close games against good teams, this stuff matters!

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

If Matakevich holds his block for just 1 more second that dudes not even there to make the shoestring tackle.

So what do you think happened there?  Matakevich was kind of key on the blocked punt in the Steelers game too.

Man has One Job - Special Teams.

Did he lose his block or did he come off?

Either way, Thanks for the great breakdown

I kind of agree with the guys who say...if you're going to Go For It, let the best players on the field Go For It, and that would be the offense.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what do you think happened there?  Matakevich was kind of key on the blocked punt in the Steelers game too.

Man has One Job - Special Teams.

Did he lose his block or did he come off?

Either way, Thanks for the great breakdown

I kind of agree with the guys who say...if you're going to Go For It, let the best players on the field Go For It, and that would be the offense.

Didn't look to me like he ever committed to the block. Looked like a miscommunication as he worked almost immediately up to the second level. I also agree. I understand there's an element of surprise to the fake punt, but why take your best player off the field in a crucial situation. I'd feel more confident in the offense being able to gain 2-3 yards than my punt team.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

Incorrect, they overloaded that side. Would have been a sure tackle for loss.

Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 10.07.15 AM.jpg

That's what I questioned as well.

I've yet to see the play live as I missed it after tuning out most of the second half, but just looking at this still frame did Breida try to turn too much upfield. Looking at this still it looks like if he tries a horizontal line to the sticks he likely out runs everyone to the marker. Just would depend on if the corner covering the gunner could be run off or blocked. 

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I've yet to see the play live as I missed it after tuning out most of the second half, but just looking at this still frame did Breida try to turn too much upfield. Looking at this still it looks like if he tries a horizontal line to the sticks he likely out runs everyone to the marker. Just would depend on if the corner covering the gunner could be run off or blocked. 

No, he took a good path. Gunner did a good job running off the Jammer. Matakevich just let his man go essentially unblocked.

8 hours ago, msw2112 said:

And, as many others have said, just go for it and put the ball in the hands of your best player(s), and don't bother with the fake punt at all.

At that point in the game our best player(s) had put up a whopping 3 points in over a 1/2 of football and had just sputtered on its first 1st drive of the second 1/2.  Maybe he thought he'd give someone else a chance?

It looked to me, and Tony Romo said it too that TB was in a regular defensive formation.  Shouldn't there be someone on the punt team able to call the play off if its not a good time to run it based on defense?

10 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

If Matakevich holds his block for just 1 more second that dudes not even there to make the shoestring tackle.

$3.575M contract for a LB that plays special teams and no defense.  How stupid is that.  They can get any street FA for $3M less than they are spending on him to do the same thing.  One of several dumb moves by Beane wasting cap space on bottom of the roster players

45 minutes ago, Steptide said:

It's funny, I totally forgot the bills tried this. It wreaked of desperation. I can't remember another game in the McDermott era, where a bills team litterally looked like 2 different teams between the 1st half and 2nd half. 

You must have blocked out Peterman against the Chargers. Or the Rams last year when the Bills got out to a big lead only to see it all go away in the second half requiring a late JA rally.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You must have blocked out Peterman against the Chargers. Or the Rams last year when the Bills got out to a big lead only to see it all go away in the second half requiring a late JA rally.  

I'll give you the rams game last year... Maybe. That Chargers game was a disaster both halfs. You have to admit that Bucs game is probably the best comeback McDermott has since he's been here. 

Edited by Steptide

21 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

Saw a lot of people bashing the play design of the fake punt on here so I thought I'd break it down so everyone could see what the coaching staff saw. Coaches designed the fake so that we could get numbers to the offensive left side of the play. The backside (Center, Right Guard, and Right Tackle) are essentially blocking Power here (Center and Right Tackle block down while Right Guard pulls to wrap on the opposite side). To the playside they are zone over-take blocking which essentially means the Left Tackle and Left Guard are going to combo the Tackle until the Left Guard can overtake him and then the Left Tackle will work up to a 2nd level defender (the Sam in this case). The slot to the playside (Gilliam) is responsible for overtaking the End (get outside leverage and pin him back inside). Gilliam does a poor job of reaching the End and never does get outside leverage of him, but with a chip from the pulling Right Guard (Dodson) the play could have still been successful. What ultimately blew the play up was Matakevich and Giles-Harris actually do a really good job with their zone over-take. Matakevich has great positioning on the Tackle but then just lets him go and works to the second level (either there was a miscommunication on the combo or the timing of the play was off). Either way Matakevich has to stay on that block longer as the Tackle was ultimately the one who made the tackle on the play.

Overall the play design was sound vs what the Buccaneers were showing. If executed properly, we had numbers on the left side and should have easily been able to pick up the first down and likely a lot more.

image0.jpeg

Every play is designed to work.  The biggest issue is that they used this play in an obvious situation.  We should have just kept the offense on the field.  The Pats, being a well coached team, were not rushing.  They were playing safety and were ready for the fake. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.