Gameday Bills vs Pats* Postgame Thread

Chandler#81

13 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I'm not puzzled bout the offensive plays. The guy is doing what he is being paid to do...by both teams...

On some other notes. 

But, but, but, it's a passing league...no need to run and stop the run right?

This game was my worst nightmare as now I can't watch football shows all week as ole smiley and his wunderkin QB will be all they talk about.

This game reminds me of when Dick Jauron was the head coach in 2009. In a week 17 bad windstorm in Buffalo as the Bills lost that game with Pats QB Matt Cassel 6 of 8 for 78 yards. But the pats rushed 47 times for 168 yards and a TD to win 0-13!! 

Now you would think at some point that one of these GD Bills HD's would take a look at the past history of the weather in that stadium and realize you NEED A FREAKING RUN GAME!

Along with a defense that can stop the run. 

Not at you OP, just venting...

No need to beat around the bush. The problem is Beane, and I knew it the exact moment they showed the “draft room” that year when the pretended that they were targeting Cody Ford all along. It was totally staged.

They missed on who they were targeting and made a spectacle out of it to save face.

Our fans get played so hard.

Edited by Governor
  • Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

If you'd told me that an NFL team would throw 3 passes for a total of 19 yards, I'd have told you no way they'll score more than 3 (barring a Pick 6, kick return, etc.). So, no, holding them to 14 while allowing them to run all over you is not "all you can ask for."

Yeah, but if your offense only needs to score 15 points to win the game, it doesn't matter how you went about holding their offense to 14 points, only that you did. Who cares about style points?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

If you'd told me that an NFL team would throw 3 passes for a total of 19 yards, I'd have told you no way they'll score more than 3 (barring a Pick 6, kick return, etc.). So, no, holding them to 14 while allowing them to run all over you is not "all you can ask for."

Also to play devils advocate though if you told me they had 200 something rushing yards and only 14 points I’d call that underwhelming…from that big run on they scored 6 points and ran for a hundred something yards 

Just now, finn said:

Yeah, but if your offense only needs to score 15 points to win the game, it doesn't matter how you went about holding their offense to 14 points, only that you did. Who cares about style points?  

We care about everything 😂 

31 minutes ago, dakrider said:

Belichick just dared the Bills to win the game but they didn't have it in them to do it. Patriots played not to lose, Bills played not to win.

Despite looking poor at times the Bills defense only gave up 1 TD.  It was the offense that lost them the game.  Allen didn't play bad but he also didn't do quite enough to win it and he did have a couple chances on those 2 drives. I seem to notice that when the Bills take a timeout on a big play, it seems to take away their momentum and they go out and make a poor play.  Don't give the defense a chance to regroup.  The Bills running backs are so weak its pathetic.  Not the the line is giving them any lanes to run thru but these guys get taken down by simple arm tackles. The Bills simply cannot beat physical teams that run the ball.  Indy, Jax, NE, etc.

Allen played fantastic - he led the Bills on two long drives into the wind to the red zone.  There is only so much Allen can do and when others on offense are not making plays we shouldn't be surprised when as the field shrinks and we're near the end zone we can't punch it in.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Governor said:

No need to beat around the bush. The problem is Beane, and I knew it the exact moment they showed the “draft room” that year when the pretended that they were targeting Cody Ford all along. It was totally staged.

They missed on who they were targeting and made a spectacle out of it to save face.

Our fans get played so hard.

Who did they want 

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

They should have done that in the 1st quarter when they had the wind at their back.  Again the Bills brain trust completely screwed up the tactical & strategic part of the game.

Lost in tonight's game was just how well Allen threw the ball.  If you add in the 3 bad drops, he would have had over 200 yards and at least 2 TD throws. An amazing performance given the conditions.

It is crazy that it basically will be overlooked.  In the 4th Q his passes made you forget he was throwing against gale force winds.  It really was incredible.

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Also to play devils advocate though if you told me they had 200 something rushing yards and only 14 points I’d call that underwhelming…from that big run on they scored 6 points and ran for a hundred something yards 

Yes, but they ran it effectively throughout the third quarter.  Not to score points but to keep us off the field with the wind at our backs.  And it worked. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BRH said:

That was Emmitt Smith.   This was Damien Harris and Rhamondre Stevenson. 

On the other hand, these Bills allowed them into the end zone just once and gave the offense every chance to win the game. I wouldn't turn down another Mount Washington, I'm just saying that the D held up their end of the bargain. 

Wow.  Another loss to Belichick. He managed the game in a manner that surprised no one and yet we played right into his hands.  No secrets there. 

Hard to complain about the defense giving up only 14 points but the defense really could have done more.  The big 65 yard run killed us.  We fell behind with the wind at our backs. Add insult to injury, they even ran on the 2 point conversion. Ouch. 

Offense came up with only 10 points despite an average start at the 40 yard line.  Only 1 TD in 4 red zones.   A missed field goal. 

It’s pretty obvious we don’t have good enough talent at TE, OG, and RB.  All holes we had going into the last draft.  

After a great start, Dawson Knox’s season is turning out to be another inconsistent one. 

The ability to run is non existent and it’s obvious the interior OL can not move anyone.  We had too many unfavorable down and distance situations because we do not have a credible running game. Zack Moss last carry in the red zone was terrible, he just does not have the speed to get outside to the open field.  There were yards there that our RBs can’t get to.  

Allen once again wad asked to do it all.  I think they could have ran him more, especially in the red zone. On a few occasions Allen could not see open receivers because the was scrambling for his life.  I wish Allen would not look for Knox so much.  Beasley and Davis are far more reliable. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, stevewin said:

It was crazy that it basically will be overlooked.  In the 4th Q his passes made you forget he was throwing against gale force winds.  It really was incredible.

That’s often what happens with him lol we take a lot of what he does for granted…hopefully we can salvage this season still but it’s an uphill battle now 

1 minute ago, BRH said:

Yes, but they ran it effectively throughout the third quarter.  Not to score points but to keep us off the field with the wind at our backs.  And it worked. 

There is no excuse for Bills fans not to understand this.  It was an extreme wind game.  If you get first downs and run clock going into the wind it's almost as good as scoring. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, stevewin said:

It is crazy that it basically will be overlooked.  In the 4th Q his passes made you forget he was throwing against gale force winds.  It really was incredible.

It's like that incredible throw at the end of the Cardinals game being overlooked, even though it was far more difficult than Murray's Hail Mary. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

For one: on offense, you have to commit to establishing a run game. Personnel is a problem, particularly with no active FB today. It's a cliche but teams that commit to the run sooner or later will develop at least a useful running game. Tonight was weird since everyone knew both teams would be run first (even more weird in that it didn't help our defense), but with the passing game back in play, there's no reason we can't effectively run the ball.

I agree.

Alas, I also think that this case with personnel... it is more of a case of an OC who lacks the concept of building a power run game. Kind of like when Greg Roman was the Bills OC and the team failed to build a decent passing game. 

Building a power run game does a few things.

Keeps the offense on the field making first down after first down, see 2021 Colts & Titans, 49ers 2019. The difference between the 2018 Green bay Packers and the 2019 GB Packers.

Controls the clock and keeps the opposing QB off the field. See the 1990 Buffalo Bills in the SB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Allen played fantastic - he led the Bills on two long drives into the wind to the red zone.  There is only so much Allen can do and when others on offense are not making plays we shouldn't be surprised when as the field shrinks and we're near the end zone we can't punch it in.

Exactly.  He put the team in a position where two field goals could have won the game.  Bass missed one in the wind, that made the 2nd field goal attempt not possible.

Not to mention Diggs dropped TD, the Knox dropped TD, the countless other drives that could have had the Bills in scoring position WITH the wind.  The Breida drop...

Death by 1000 cuts today.

And for all those fans that complain that we don't get enough respect from the national media...you don't deserve respect when you lose to the Jacksonville Jaguars and lose to Pats at home when they only called three passing plays.  Those are losses that no true contender experiences.  This team will be lucky to make the playoffs and if they do, don't expect them to do much.

And next season, don't act all offended when no one picks the Bills to win the AFC East.  Respect is earned...this team earned nothing this season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Daboll waited too long to let Josh loose air and land like last year. That’s the storyline. 1H we played like a heavy run team. Ah…We ain’t. 

D played “okay” and better after they figured the block scheme. 

Edited by Since1981
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Allen once again wad asked to do it all.  I think they could have ran him more, especially in the red zone. On a few occasions Allen could not see open receivers because the was scrambling for his life.  I wish Allen would not look for Knox so much.  Beasley and Davis are far more reliable. 

In the modern NFL and considering how defenses play Allen, asking him not to look for the TE is a non-starter.  I know you were being sarcastic here but the TE plays such an important role in offenses today that when Knox has the dropsies the Bills effectively do not have an NFL caliber TE on the field as Sweeney has also underwhelmed. 

It's extremely hard to score TD's in the red zone when you effectively don't have NFL caliber RB's or TE's.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

There is no excuse for Bills fans not to understand this.  It was an extreme wind game.  If you get first downs and run clock going into the wind it's almost as good as scoring. 

Not when you have a qb that can throw rockets into the wind clearly lol no excuse? Come on now that’s a bit hyperbolic 

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

Controls the clock and keeps the opposing QB off the field. See the 1990 Buffalo Bills in the SB.

Yes.  Everyone on this board over 32 remembers where they saw this before.  

It wasn’t Belichick who stopped us in that game, by the way.  We still scored a point a minute.  We just only had the ball for 20 minutes. 

What killed us in that game was the inability to get off the ***** field on defense.  

40 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

That’s what I took away from the game. Defense gave up a long TD in the 1st quart and 6 points the rest of the play. Pats only made it to the redzone 2x on 10 possessions and never had a 1st and goal. Our offense came away with 10 points on 4 redzone possessions……that’s the bigger story.

Completely agree

3 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

Daboll waited too long to let Josh loose air and land like last year. That’s the storyline. 1H we played like a heavy run team. Ah…We ain’t. 

D played “okay” and better after they figured the block scheme. 

Agreed…not sure if the wind died down a bit or they started trusting him more as the game went on 

9 minutes ago, BRH said:

The Bills seemed to move the ball better while going against the wind until they got inside of the red zone. In fact, I bet we had more total yards in the 2nd and 4th quarters.

Just now, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Dawson Knox can play like he did tonight and yet I have a strange feeling that there will be a long line of adoring fans at his autograph signing at Dave & Adam's on Friday.

Is his hand still broken? I feel like he gets a little more benefit of the doubt if he’s playing with an injury like that

2 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Yes, the only one with the balls to ask real questions.

I mean, what real question did he ask?

The Bills not being able to stop the run cost them in the Indy game. No doubt about that.

Tonight? Not really. Sure, they gave up over 200 yards but they only gave up 14 points.

The Bills offense being unable to capitalize on numerous chances deep in Patriots territory was the story last night.

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

The Bills seemed to move the ball better while going against the wind until they got inside of the red zone. In fact, I bet we had more total yards in the 2nd and 4th quarters.

I do not believe it was Belichick’s strategy to give us the ball going with the wind. 

Edited by BRH

1 minute ago, Beast said:

A lot of that had to do with Knox dropping two passes in Pats territory when we had the wind in the 1st quarter killing both drives,  And then on FIRST DOWN, Brieda loses a fumble without even being hit at the Pats 29 yard line.  

And in the 3rd quarter the defense struggled to get NE off the field and let the Pats burn up a lot of our wind time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.