Gameday Bills vs Pats* Postgame Thread

Chandler#81

1 hour ago, AbsoluteMeatHead said:

The Patriots defensive line jumped but no call from the refs. Crucial, crucial non call that NE would get 100% of the time but what to expect when the ref is blowing Belichick with a smile on the sideline while he's unloading on him.  I absolutely hate refs.  Some people might appreciate the difficulty of their jobs but I hope they all die in fiery plane crash to be completely honest with you.  Fk the NFL.  It's rigged.  

I love this LOL, I got the looks from the wife when I wished that ref would have a stroke after that call and with the no call on the Judon sack. Same thing wishing one on Man Boobs Belicheat at the end🤣🤣🤣

Just now, ngbills said:

Oh that’s all? How long does recovery from a lobotomy take? 

If you’re scared of the Pats after watching that game you are a eunuch as bad as McDermott. We lost because of poor decisions and poor execution not to a better team.

• Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, stevestojan said:

We lost to a team whose quarterback went 2/3 for 19 yards. 

what a stat goodness gracious.........that to me, they shredding of our DL with the run and the final score about sums it up...FAILURE GONG

oh yeah, and hearing from a buddy that there was no tailgating in hammers lot last night....whoa

smh requiem monday indeed

m

Daboll seems to put so much effort in play design for the pass and does absolutely nothing creative for run play design. I absolutely hate the way this guy calls the game. And for ***** sakes. Stop using Moss. At all. It’s just like the year with Gore. You are just wasting plays. The guy has absolutely nothing. He runs like he’s in quicksand.  You don’t trust Brieda? That’s fine. I’m pretty much there too. Call up Antonio Williams. He got 1 shot and played well. This thing isn’t going to get fixed with what we have. Try someone completely new. Not the guys consistently showing they can’t do it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

- Why do we seemingly never use misdirection/jet sweeps/creative running plays?  I feel like these were used fairly regularly last year and now they've all but disappeared from the playbook in exchange for an endless string of relatively unproductive RPOs.  Either Daboll sucks or this really is the best use of our personnel (which means our talent sucks).  I had given Daboll a pretty long leash when it came to criticism, but I'm finally on board with those who think he's a problem in our struggles.  Last night really crystalized it for me.  Josh seemingly had to will the team down the field for every yard.  I don't recall a single play where I was like, "wow, that was nicely schemed" to get someone open or free in space.

I do recall some of those plays.  We used them to good effect against New Orleans, some against the Colts, and some against the Jets.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Not nearly as much as it was for the Patriots… they shouldn’t have let it get in their heads in the first half. Allen was able to handle it quite well once they actually let him pass the ball…. Agree with whoever said McD sucks on game day…. They are ALWAYS slow to adjust. Hell, Frazier basically admitted as much after the Colts game when he said they don’t like to change the game plan mid game. 

That's the biggest issue with Frazier. Teams adjust on the fly and Frazier sticks to his gameplan and figured out. Lack of adjustments. Took McDermott yesterday to adjust the D with Milano.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

50 minutes ago, MPT said:

He made the first one. It barely went in because he adjusted for the wind and the wind just died at that moment. I'm sure he adjusted for the wind on the second one too, but that time the wind blew the ball further horizontally than the goal posts are wide. Nothing you can do about that.

True. The truth is, this kind of experience is what kickers need to become great. 

17 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Daboll seems to put so much effort in play design for the pass and does absolutely nothing creative for run play design. I absolutely hate the way this guy calls the game. And for ***** sakes. Stop using Moss. At all. It’s just like the year with Gore. You are just wasting plays. The guy has absolutely nothing. He runs like he’s in quicksand.  You don’t trust Brieda? That’s fine. I’m pretty much there too. Call up Antonio Williams. He got 1 shot and played well. This thing isn’t going to get fixed with what we have. Try someone completely new. Not the guys consistently showing they can’t do it.

The run game, like the offensive line and lots of other things, isn't going to get fixed this season.

It's going to take at least one off-season to fix that stuff.

18 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

His effort in pass play design this year isn’t working to well either…

Listening to Hour 1 of Howard and Jeremy Show from this morning on GR-55.

Howard really blasting McDermott for "coaching afraid" and it's pretty entertaining.

"This coaching staff is apparently afraid to try and win football games."

LOL

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

Interesting analysis from Joe B on The Athletic about what appears to be a disconnect between Daboll and McD

Makes you wonder how much of the stupid 2 yd runs up the middle Daboll kept calling were just attempts to placate McD - "Here's a 'physical' run up the middle - this is what you wanted"

Regardless, think everyone agrees there could be more imaginative ways to run the ball.  Also agree with the last statement above that regardless of how McD wants to play physically offensively - the team just isn't built that way currently

Actually I look at it sloghtly different. I think McD made it known he want some form of a rushing threat and Daboll not getting the job done. If Daboll thinks the only way to give a "physical run" is up the middle than that really shows his lack of intelligence on the running game. 

Just like what McD says about the red zone. Have to figure it out. And to get this far into a season and not have it figured would really get me angry if I was HC.

All in all looking at the quotes about scoring more I see a real similar pattern to when McD talked about Rick Dennison when he was the OC here. Barring a late season offensive surge...I think Daboll is a dead man walking.

42 minutes ago, Muppy said:

oh yeah, and hearing from a buddy that there was no tailgating in hammers lot last night....whoa

Hammer's lot was packed at 3:30 when we rolled in where we tailgate next to his house.

So people were trying hard,   it wasn't anything to do with the opponent or attitude of the fans.   

I didn't go over there but if there was less activity compared to most games that's probably because Hammer's Lot is very exposed to the weather and the wind was violent.    The neighborhood lots are much more sheltered.

If you were out in the wind using a propane grill you most likely weren't able to cook at all..........and if you didn't have a charcoal chimney getting charcoal going was probably close to impossible either.

It was just a normal but longer tailgate for us and the people in our lot.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BTB said:

I am still puzzled by the fact that the Pats were not going to throw the ball at all, and the Bills still couldn’t stop the run. We got punched by the bully, and proceeded to run and hide. 

Weak at the LOS on both sides of the ball. Been a problem all year. Hopefully Beane makes moves to fix it this offseason.

11 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Actually I look at it sloghtly different. I think McD made it known he want some form of a rushing threat and Daboll not getting the job done. If Daboll thinks the only way to give a "physical run" is up the middle than that really shows his lack of intelligence on the running game. 

Just like what McD says about the red zone. Have to figure it out. And to get this far into a season and not have it figured would really get me angry if I was HC.

All in all looking at the quotes about scoring more I see a real similar pattern to when McD talked about Rick Dennison when he was the OC here. Barring a late season offensive surge...I think Daboll is a dead man walking.

I think we are on the same page - above I said "Regardless, think everyone agrees there could be more imaginative ways to run the ball."  In the context of what Joe B was saying, the unimaginative runs up the middle that seemed so forced almost look to be some kind of (half-hearted?) concession by Daboll to McD's wishes - just terrible play design/choice/commitment/execution (which probably pisses McD off even more)

Edited by stevewin

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Hammer's lot was packed at 3:30 when we rolled in where we tailgate next to his house.

So people were trying hard,   it wasn't anything to do with the opponent or attitude of the fans.   

I didn't go over there but if there was less activity compared to most games that's probably because Hammer's Lot is very exposed to the weather and the wind was violent.    The neighborhood lots are much more sheltered.

If you were out in the wind using a propane grill you most likely weren't able to cook at all..........and if you didn't have a charcoal chimney getting charcoal going was probably close to impossible either.

It was just a normal but longer tailgate for us and the people in our lot.

amen brother

m

Can you imagine prior to a game, an opponent coming into Buffalo and basically saying, we're going to run the ball every down for 4 straight quarters, and the bills can do whatever they want on offense ......and you lose that game. I need to forget about this game fast. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MPT said:

He made the first one. It barely went in because he adjusted for the wind and the wind just died at that moment. I'm sure he adjusted for the wind on the second one too, but that time the wind blew the ball further horizontally than the goal posts are wide. Nothing you can do about that.

To @finns point, Bass, the ESPN announcers and everyone watching knew the ball would move dramatically from left to right down there. Pats* kicker proved it in the 3rd quarter with his short, heavy kick to the left whipping wildly right to split the uprights. Bass’ kick unfortunately was spotted on the right hash mark which meant he’d really have to kick wide left from in close just to pull it back with the wind. He didn’t. He kicked it straight on, thus watched helplessly as it trailed wide right.

Hopefully, he’ll learn from this. Too bad it cost us the game for his education.

• Like (+1) 1

I feel the offensive struggles have more to do with personnel on the line. I feel more confident betting on Daboll at OC than Williams/Feliciano/Boettger/Ford at OG. When is the last time you remember thinking “Wow that RB had a huge hole to run through” or “Gee whiz Allen sure does have all day back there”? The running backs are not great and the WR/TEs have not helped with drops, but for me it starts up front. The play caller and skill players will look better with better blocking.  

Similarly, on defense I see a recurring theme of getting manhandled up front. Against well-coached / top offenses we get run all over and struggle to generate enough pressure. How do you not stop the run when you know that is what is coming all game? Inexcusable. 

It seems to me that OG and DT especially need an off-season overhaul. If the draft falls right I would not mind double dipping twice on linemen like last year. This is not saying I want to be a run and stop the run team. I want to to have a top pass-heavy offense and a complete defense, with both sides of the ball dominating the line of scrimmage and a coaching staff that is c-o-n-s-i-s-t-e-n-t-l-y aggressive. Is that too much to ask? 

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

4 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

It seems to me that OG and DT especially need an off-season overhaul. If the draft falls right I would not mind double dipping twice on linemen like last year. This is not saying I want to be a run and stop the run team. I want to to have a top pass-heavy offense and a complete defense, with both sides of the ball dominating the line of scrimmage and a coaching staff that is c-o-n-s-i-s-t-e-n-t-l-y aggressive. Is that too much to ask? 

Spot on- especially this last paragraph!

And it’s the least you should ask for, if you truly believe one day this should be a Championship team!

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

To @finns point, Bass, the ESPN announcers and everyone watching knew the ball would move dramatically from left to right down there. Pats* kicker proved it in the 3rd quarter with his short, heavy kick to the left whipping wildly right to split the uprights. Bass’ kick unfortunately was spotted on the right hash mark which meant he’d really have to kick wide left from in close just to pull it back with the wind. He didn’t. He kicked it straight on, thus watched helplessly as it trailed wide right.

Hopefully, he’ll learn from this. Too bad it cost us the game for his education.

How did it cost the Bills* the game?  They lost 14 to 10. 

1 minute ago, tom444 said:

Hi, Noob! Welcome to the Board. You can check out anytime you want,  but you can never leave.. (maybe)

Had you watched the game, you’d know I was referring to Bass’ final FG attempt, one drive before the last one. By missing this very short FG for failure to apply anti-windage, we were forced to go for a TD on the last drive. 
btw, the asterisk rightfully and forever attached to the ex-Boston team name is due to their never-ending cheating, much of which has been exposed, proven and heavily disciplined for. It will likely always be spelled this way.

8 minutes ago, tom444 said:

If he makes the kick in the 3rd quarter then its 14-13 on the last drive. The Bills would have had a chance to win with a FG instead of having to score a TD.  There were other plays to be made that they didn't that cost us the game though.

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Hi, Noob! Welcome to the Board. You can check out anytime you want,  but you can never leave.. (maybe)

Had you watched the game, you’d know I was referring to Bass’ final FG attempt, one drive before the last one. By missing this very short FG for failure to apply anti-windage, we were forced to go for a TD on the last drive. 
btw, the asterisk rightfully and forever attached to the ex-Boston team name is due to their never-ending cheating, much of which has been exposed, proven and heavily disciplined for. It will likely always be spelled this way.

Unless of course the Bills* kicker failed again. 

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

If he makes the kick in the 3rd quarter then its 14-13 on the last drive. The Bills would have had a chance to win with a FG instead of having to score a TD.  There were other plays to be made that they didn't that cost us the game though.

Point taken. 

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Billyhouseman said:

McDermott is the head coach. He has final say. If a fortune 500 company isn't performing, do you blame the janitor or the CEO???

If the floors are dirty the janitor needs to answer questions as well. 

Unless you really believe every time Daboll calls a play McD is on the headset saying "I concur" or "Nope, try again". 

Sometimes ya wanna hear it from the horse's mouth. Not always practical to to full "Karen" and demand to speak with the manager.

Edited by No Place To Hyde
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

It was the 4th quarter against the wind he missed the kick.. it just turned the 4th.. that’s a case where the old vet Folk knew better what to do than the strong leg young kid.

Having some time to think it over, I'm slightly more optimistic about this season. (edit: compared to immediately after the game)

So many "what ifs", kind of like the Houston playoff game, where if one thing goes right they end up winning.

They could absolutely beat the Bucs or Patriots or both. Every game remaining game is 50/50 to me.

That being said, half of those "what ifs" are deliberate decisions by this head coach and/or OC. 

It's hard enough to win a Super Bowl, you have to beat the other teams, the injury bug, sometimes the refs,  and the Bills with McDermott also have to overcome his in-game decisions.

So although I still think we have a chance this season, I think it's the same small chance they'll have going forward with McDermott at the helm.

Edited by Rock-A-Bye Beasley
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Having some time to think it over, I'm slightly more optimistic about this season.

So many "what ifs", kind of like the Houston playoff game, where if one thing goes right they end up winning.

They could absolutely beat the Bucs or Patriots or both. Every game remaining game is 50/50 to me.

That being said, half of those "what ifs" are deliberate decisions by this head coach and/or OC. 

It's hard enough to win a Super Bowl, you have to beat the other teams, the injury bug, sometimes the refs,  and the Bills with McDermott also have to overcome his in-game decisions.

So although I still think we have a chance this season, I think it's the same small chance they'll have going forward with McDermott at the helm.

I would like to see McDermott coach this team with a better OL/DL. Hard to win in this league when you can't run or stop the run. Big time pressure is on Beane this offseason. Imagine a Bills team that isn't capable of playing in the cold, wind, snow. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Greg S said:

I would like to see McDermott coach this team with a better OL/DL. Hard to win in this league when you can't run or stop the run. Big time pressure is on Beane this offseason. Imagine a Bills team that isn't capable of playing in the cold, wind, snow. 

Although they proved they are capable of passing the ball in the worst windy conditions last night. They chose not to for 3.5 quarters, then when NE knew they had to pass they were still effective at it. The choice to not throw out of fear is what I'm talking about. 

• Like (+1) 6

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ok, I understand your point but Patriots fans could say if N'Keal Harry had stayed away from the kick, which he should have, you wouldn't have scored that TD. It doesn't matter because he didn't stay away from it and the Bills did score. See my point? 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.