[Edit] Jon Gruden resigns over controversial emails discovered in WFT investigation

flaz

Gruden — then working as an analyst for ESPN's "Monday Night Football" reportedly sent the following email:

“Dumboriss Smith has lips the size of michellin [sic] tires.”

I realize the phrase "ten year old" is referring to how long ago he wrote that, but reading what he wrote, I think it also applies to the mental age of the writer.

• Like (+1) 3

His explanation is plausible in that he said he refers to people who lie as having rubber lips and that was an extension of that. Said he has no racist intent and apologized.

don’t think this will cost him his job 

quotes from ESPN article

Gruden told ESPN he has routinely used the term "rubber lips" to "refer to a guy I catch as lying ... he can't spit it out."

"I'm ashamed I insulted D. Smith," Gruden said, adding, "I never had a racial thought when I used it. ... I'm embarrassed by what's out there. I certainly never meant for it to sound that bad."

The email, sent to the president of the Washington Football Team as the NFL and its players were in the midst of trying to resolve a lockout, said that Smith had "lips the size of michellin tires," the Journal reported, saying it has reviewed the email.

Asked about the email by the Journal, Gruden said he didn't specifically recall writing it, but apologized.

Edited by Bray Wyatt

1 minute ago, Bray Wyatt said:

His explanation is plausible in that he said he refers to people who lie as having rubber lips and that was an extension of that. Said he has no racist intent and apologized.

Are you trying to be funny? Can’t tell

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

quotes from ESPN article

Gruden told ESPN he has routinely used the term "rubber lips" to "refer to a guy I catch as lying ... he can't spit it out."

"I'm ashamed I insulted D. Smith," Gruden said, adding, "I never had a racial thought when I used it. ... I'm embarrassed by what's out there. I certainly never meant for it to sound that bad."

The email, sent to the president of the Washington Football Team as the NFL and its players were in the midst of trying to resolve a lockout, said that Smith had "lips the size of michellin tires," the Journal reported, saying it has reviewed the email.

Asked about the email by the Journal, Gruden said he didn't specifically recall writing it, but apologized.

He's full of *****. He didn't say his lips were rubbery he said they were the size of tires, but nice try though.

3 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

If jake Fromm and josh Allen who had no actual reputation in the nfl can be forgiven, I don’t see why gruden can’t or shouldn’t 

Teenage Josh Allen posts rap lyrics (having worked with teens for 20+ years they [post music lyrics .. even if they shouldn't) vs a grown man making obvious racial comments .. I do not see the correlation at all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He's full of *****. He didn't say his lips were rubbery he said they were the size of tires, but nice try though.

Nice try at what? He obviously said something wrong. 

Do you really think Gruden is racist? He acknowledged it was wrong and apologized.

Has he not built up enough of a reputation in the business to be given the benefit of the doubt in that he isn’t racist?

I think so, and don’t think he will lose his job for it. Other punishment likely imo 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Teenage Josh Allen posts rap lyrics (having worked with teens for 20+ years they [post music lyrics .. even if they shouldn't) vs a grown man making obvious racial comments .. I do not see the correlation at all.

Agree, and I’d assume the teammate vs coach dynamic is different. It’s much easier for a twenty something to just become one of the guys. I’d assume among players there’s almost a suspicion of their coaches level of sincerity. It’s like the boss/worker dynamic. The head coach needs to earn the trust of his team to be a real leader. Everyone makes mistakes, I’m not going to condemn Gruden, but I do see how it could complicate being a leader. It’s really going to depend on how good his current relationship is with that team. The final outcome will ultimately tell us nothing more than how good of a coach Gruden is or isn’t. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Do you really think Gruden is racist? He acknowledged it was wrong and apologized.

Has he not built up enough of a reputation in the business to be given the benefit of the doubt in that he isn’t racist?

I think so, and don’t think he will lose his job for it. Other punishment likely imo 

He's trying to frame the narrative of what he said. He's saying he was calling the guy a liar because apparently saying someone has rubbery lips means that to him(never heard of that). But he didn't say the guys lips were rubbery or even that they were like a tire which would be vague enough to mean rubbery. He said they were the size of tires. Whatever you feel about what he said aside, his explanation smells like bull#### to me.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

First, and most important you can’t explain away that comment.  Plain and simple RACIST AND WRONG!

Second, stupidity!  Even if you are a racist scumbag, how stupid can you be to put you’re disgusting thoughts into writing to anyone.

What I detest almost as much as this behavior is someone trying to find some angle to condone it or explain away.  Wrong!

I knew him vaguely (living in Tampa and knowing some of the teachers at CDS where his kids went to school) meaning we ran into each other a few times and always came across as an arrogant prick.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Say racist stuff….probably racist right?

• Agree 3

26 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Even so, are either of those phrases you associate with a liar? Can’t say that I’ve ever heard a liar referred to as rubber/rubbery lipped. Then again, I didn’t grow up in the 30s. 

37 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

If jake Fromm and josh Allen who had no actual reputation in the nfl can be forgiven, I don’t see why gruden can’t or shouldn’t 

The fact you’re comparing what those two guys said tells me you have no clue. Josh made a joke based upon a Modern Family joke. Fromm said some really questionable stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, flaz said:

Please try to keep this thing civil folks. Please no name calling or arguments. Stick to the facts presented. I've been here since 2011 and this is my first scoop, I'm a SB junkie :D

Was the email leaked or just the one line from the email? I clicked on a few different links and only found the one line.

4 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Bravo

So, we have a guy that's never been accused of being a racist before. No evidence of such to my knowledge. And then we are going to assume he was dumb enough to put a racist statement in black and white where it will never go away?

I suppose.....but after his explanation I am going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

• Agree 2

Just now, Beast said:

So, we have a guy that's never been accused of being a racist before. No evidence of such to my knowledge. And then we are going to assume he was dumb enough to put a racist statement in black and white where it will never go away?

I suppose.....but after his explanation I am going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

His explanation just doesn't make any sense.

6 minutes ago, eball said:

The fact you’re comparing what those two guys said tells me you have no clue. Josh made a joke based upon a Modern Family joke. Fromm said some really questionable stuff. 

No clue yet you acknowledge that my comment has some merit with the Fromm part lol

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.