AP exclusive: Bills propose new 60k seat stadium by (update - 2025)

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think this is mostly right - he would care where it was built to better support his other investments like Downtown Hotels and Restaurants and help bring infrastructure to help improve the area around the hockey stadium to bring more and better tournaments in.  Money he could make outside of the sport itself.

The more important piece though - I believe - is to get the most public funding possible and the lowest cost and have it owned by the county - so they pay upkeep and renovation costs that will come every year because it is open air.

I think if this had been done 5 years ago - they would push downtown big time, but PSE has been getting rid of the poorly managed restaurants downtown and therefore there is less for them.  We will see with the ECC campus - if the Pegula’s are gifted some land to develop around the stadium or if they eventually push to have a new rink built out in OP in the next decade.  

This decision has the potential for additional impact down the road.

If he gets the majority of the stadium publicly funded, there's no chance he gets serious money for the Sabres arena down the road.

My guess is he would look to unload that team. At some point it can't be worth the embarrassment and  headache owning such a disaster for so long.  Given their stated goal for the existence PSE as funding the family's "lifestyle", he would be wiser to cash out and add to the fun money pile.

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If he gets the majority of the stadium publicly funded, there's no chance he gets serious money for the Sabres arena down the road.

My guess is he would look to unload that team. At some point it can't be worth the embarrassment and  headache owning such a disaster for so long.  Given their stated goal for the existence PSE as funding the family's "lifestyle", he would be wiser to cash out and add to the fun money pile.

I would agree, but owning the Sabres is his life long dream - so I doubt he sells them anytime soon.

The state keeps finding ways to build new arenas all over NYC for hockey, basketball, football, and baseball.  My guess is they will come up with the funding at some point for the Sabres, but they absolutely have to turn it around first.

At some point Hockey is also going to have to have another come to Jesus moment because once again Cost is outstripping revenue for many teams as the cap goes up - even after huge loses.  

So at least we have until 2023...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32133610/buffalo-bills-renew-lease-july-23-new-stadium-deal

Buffalo Bills won't renew lease in July '23 without new stadium deal

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Bills won't renew their lease with the state and county without an agreement in place for a proposed new $1.4 billion stadium to be partially publicly funded, leaving the team's future uncertain beyond July 2023.

"No, we absolutely will not," Pegula Sports and Entertainment senior vice president Ron Raccuia told Buffalo's WBEN-Radio on Thursday.

In saying the topic of relocation has not been raised during discussions with government officials, Raccuia didn't entirely rule out that possibility by using the word "yet" when asked if the Bills might begin looking elsewhere once the lease expires in about 23 months.

"We're not even focused on that, yet," said Raccuia, who is chief negotiator in talks for PSE, the parent company which owns the Bills.

"We're just committed to getting everybody together as quickly as possible to get to a solution," he added. "Talking about options and 'what happens if,' that serves no purpose. It's not where any of our focus or resources are being dedicated."

During a wide-ranging interview, Raccuia otherwise confirmed the cost, size and location of the stadium proposed by the Bills to be built in Orchard Park, New York, across the street from their current facility, Highmark Stadium, which opened in 1973.

At issue is how much the project would cost taxpayers in what Raccuia called a public-private partnership that would potentially include NFL funding. The expectation is the public will be asked to fund more than 50% of the cost.

A message left with Gov. Kathy Hochul, who is from Buffalo, was not immediately returned. On Monday, her office released a statement to The AP, which read, "no one is more committed to keeping the Bills in Buffalo" than Hochul, and that details will be shared once negotiations are completed.

Erie County executive Mark Poloncarz was not available. He previously dismissed speculation of the Bills possibly relocating but issued a warning by saying taxpayers won't be writing what he called "a blank check."

The Bills have ruled out renovating Highmark as being cost-prohibitive compared to starting fresh.

The new stadium's proposed capacity would be between 60,000 and 62,000 seats, which would make it one of the NFL's smallest -- and about 10,000 less than Highmark.

6 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

They've kicked the can down the road at least the last 15 years.  Rich Stadium is nearly 50 years old.  It's time for a new stadium.  The devil is going to be in the details.  Two questions nobody asked on GR55 this morning:  1.  If you haven't even engaged an architect yet, how are you estimating $1.4B?  2.  Why does a downtown location add $.5B to the cost?

A downtown stadium will cost at least .5 billion more because they don't own the land... Infrastructure will have to be built... Tear downs will probably occur 

Op already has the land and lots... The stadium just needs to go up

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Draconator said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32133610/buffalo-bills-renew-lease-july-23-new-stadium-deal

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Bills won't renew their lease with the state and county without an agreement in place for a proposed new $1.4 billion stadium to be partially publicly funded, leaving the team's future uncertain beyond July 2023.

"No, we absolutely will not," Pegula Sports and Entertainment senior vice president Ron Raccuia told Buffalo's WBEN-Radio on Thursday.

In saying the topic of relocation has not been raised during discussions with government officials, Raccuia didn't entirely rule out that possibility by using the word "yet" when asked if the Bills might begin looking elsewhere once the lease expires in about 23 months.

"We're not even focused on that, yet," said Raccuia, who is chief negotiator in talks for PSE, the parent company which owns the Bills.

"We're just committed to getting everybody together as quickly as possible to get to a solution," he added. "Talking about options and 'what happens if,' that serves no purpose. It's not where any of our focus or resources are being dedicated."

During a wide-ranging interview, Raccuia otherwise confirmed the cost, size and location of the stadium proposed by the Bills to be built in Orchard Park, New York, across the street from their current facility, Highmark Stadium, which opened in 1973.

At issue is how much the project would cost taxpayers in what Raccuia called a public-private partnership that would potentially include NFL funding. The expectation is the public will be asked to fund more than 50% of the cost.

A message left with Gov. Kathy Hochul, who is from Buffalo, was not immediately returned. On Monday, her office released a statement to The AP, which read, "no one is more committed to keeping the Bills in Buffalo" than Hochul, and that details will be shared once negotiations are completed.

Erie County executive Mark Poloncarz was not available. He previously dismissed speculation of the Bills possibly relocating but issued a warning by saying taxpayers won't be writing what he called "a blank check."

The Bills have ruled out renovating Highmark as being cost-prohibitive compared to starting fresh.

The new stadium's proposed capacity would be between 60,000 and 62,000 seats, which would make it one of the NFL's smallest -- and about 10,000 less than Highmark.

I think a deal gets done way before 23. I think it gets done sometime this year possibly.  Also to add the way this article was written was to make another unnecessary scare tactic toward the fans. I don’t even pay attention to ESPN anymore. They’ve become a joke

Edited by BuffaloBills1998
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

"county would still own the stadium".

County will be demolishing stadium they just dumped 130 million into less than 10 years ago.  The majority of that money can't be recovered. Bonds will be paid off for a hole in the ground....as new bonds are issued for the next one.

They'll sell off anything can before it comes down.  Seats, signage, etc.  Won't bring in $130M, but it should be a good chunk of change.  I still have seats from the renovations back in 1999.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

A downtown stadium will cost at least .5 billion more because they don't own the land... Infrastructure will have to be built... Tear downs will probably occur 

OK, fine.  500M sounds expensive for that, because they also said the infrastructure improvements would be ANOTHER 700-900M on top of the 1.9B.It would be nice to see some detail, but we'll be kept in the dark and fed @#$%, like mushrooms.

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

They also looked at UB. Why not there? State land. Lots of parking. Extend Metro there. UB could play there so it gets more use.

1 minute ago, nucci said:

If Buffalo isn’t going to work out a deal to keep the Bills in place quickly, the Bills need to start looking for a new partner. If/when they start, it will be too late for Buffalo to keep a move from happening.

WTH.  This guy just loves the idea of teams relocating.

19 hours ago, Draconator said:

Sorry, i posted same . didn't see yours

20 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

If Buffalo isn’t going to work out a deal to keep the Bills in place quickly, the Bills need to start looking for a new partner. If/when they start, it will be too late for Buffalo to keep a move from happening.

WTH.  This guy just loves the idea of teams relocating.

Florio just comes across as a bitter old man. I remember after Wilson passed he kept reporting that the Bills were for sure moving to Toronto and it never happened. Florio just wants clicks, that’s how he gets paid. And unfortunately some of us fans are gullible enough to give him the clicks. I don’t bother with Florio or ESPN for that matter. The spokesperson literally said that relocation is something they’re not even discussing and that the Pegulas are committed to keeping us in Buffalo. But of course they won’t report that. Guys like Florio live off controversy and instigation 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Florio just comes across as a bitter old man. I remember after Wilson passed he kept reporting that the Bills were for sure moving to Toronto and it never happened. Florio just wants clicks, that’s how he gets paid. And unfortunately some of us fans are gullible enough to give him the clicks. I don’t bother with Florio or ESPN for that matter. The spokesperson literally said that relocation is something they’re not even discussing and that the Pegulas are committed to keeping us in Buffalo. But of course they won’t report that. Guys like Florio live off controversy and instigation 

Yeah, they asked him directly about the lease, and that was the only answer he could give.

He isnt going to say "sure, we will keep extending this lease into perpetuity just because we are nice"

This step of the process was always going to be awkward for the Pegulas.  PSE is doing their best to look firm/threatening without really doing it.  And judging by public comments by all parties, it seems that things are still moving.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Yeah, they asked him directly about the lease, and that was the only answer he could give.

He isnt going to say "sure, we will keep extending this lease into perpetuity just because we are nice"

This step of the process was always going to be awkward for the Pegulas.  PSE is doing their best to look firm/threatening without really doing it.  And judging by public comments by all parties, it seems that things are still moving.

Definitely, it was reported a week ago that the first meeting between the county officials and the Pegulas went very well and that talks are continuing to progress. But again the media doesn’t report that, they just take certain words or sentences and they try to form up their own little story to get clicks and get people pissed off. I think we can all agree that a deal will be made and completed for the new stadium here in OP

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Just Jack said:

They'll sell off anything can before it comes down.  Seats, signage, etc.  Won't bring in $130M, but it should be a good chunk of change.  I still have seats from the renovations back in 1999.

On 9/2/2021 at 11:27 AM, Mr. WEO said:

"county would still own the stadium".

County will be demolishing stadium they just dumped 130 million into less than 10 years ago.  The majority of that money can't be recovered. Bonds will be paid off for a hole in the ground....as new bonds are issued for the next one.

I do not believe this is included in the cost for the new stadium but the cost to raze the Ralph is probably going to be about $10M. The Aud seats sold for about $300 a pop, and that is secondary market. So somebody had to come in remove, transport, and store them. The county could possibly sell those seats to somebody else who will bring them to market. If the county is lucky they can sell the seats at $100-$150 ea. to a vendor. But I actually wouldn't be shocked if the county makes $0 on those and actually loses money on it.

For reference, I bought a bunch of coozies last year made from the old field that was torn up in 2011. There is also a cross fit gym in Buffalo that purchased a huge slab and use it as their floor. 10 years have passed and the field still has not been totally sold off, at least at a reseller level. Imagine being a vendor and having to sit on product for a decade and still be reselling it.

The county might not even make any money on the seats. The labor, logistics, storage, and resale time frame are so astronomically high that it may be part of the bid that they reduce the charge for removal, but they own the seats. So they get paid to remove and keep them. 

But lets say that the county gets somebody to pay them $100 per seat to remove them and keep them, at 45,000 seats (assuming 1/3 of the 70,000 are bleachers) it won't even cover the cost to tear the stadium down let alone recouping $130M in upgrades. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

This is mildly reassuring. I don't mind PSL's for club and suites. It is relatively non-committal though. I wouldn't be shocked at PSL's for the lower bowl, which is a bummer. 

We already have PSLs. Our clubs seats and our other premiums contain PSLs. PSLs in some way shape or form will be a part of the new stadium. However, they will not be anything like PSLs throughout the rest of the NFL in those major markets that have opened in L.A. and Atlanta and other places. Everything we do from a pricing prospective will be for the Buffalo market for the Buffalo fan. We know that we can’t price them out in any way shape or form, either, whether you’re a season ticket holder in the upper deck or whether you’re a club seat holder at the 50-yard line. We realize that. But PSLs are a part of the equation in all of sports today, and they are still a part of our existence here. I don’t think fans should get very nervous about PSLs. We understand this market. We understand the limitations to it. But they are a part of today’s sports, no question about it.

22 minutes ago, Mango said:

I do not believe this is included in the cost for the new stadium but the cost to raze the Ralph is probably going to be about $10M. The Aud seats sold for about $300 a pop, and that is secondary market. So somebody had to come in remove, transport, and store them. The county could possibly sell those seats to somebody else who will bring them to market. If the county is lucky they can sell the seats at $100-$150 ea. to a vendor. But I actually wouldn't be shocked if the county makes $0 on those and actually loses money on it.

For reference, I bought a bunch of coozies last year made from the old field that was torn up in 2011. There is also a cross fit gym in Buffalo that purchased a huge slab and use it as their floor. 10 years have passed and the field still has not been totally sold off, at least at a reseller level. Imagine being a vendor and having to sit on product for a decade and still be reselling it.

The county might not even make any money on the seats. The labor, logistics, storage, and resale time frame are so astronomically high that it may be part of the bid that they reduce the charge for removal, but they own the seats. So they get paid to remove and keep them. 

But lets say that the county gets somebody to pay them $100 per seat to remove them and keep them, at 45,000 seats (assuming 1/3 of the 70,000 are bleachers) it won't even cover the cost to tear the stadium down let alone recouping $130M in upgrades. 

The storage would be the stadium.  Since it's being demolished eventually, you just keep stuff where it is and remove it as it is sold.

I keep seeing these exorbitant "infrastructure improvements" estimates that go along with a downtown stadium, just what are you guys envisioning needs to happen? Every other city seems to have figured it out without building a slew of highways and mass transit options.

RE: $1.4B Stadium - Call the billionaire's bluff. Don't give this team free money and act like it's a public-private partnership. Stop the scam! 

• Disagree 4

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

The storage would be the stadium.  Since it's being demolished eventually, you just keep stuff where it is and remove it as it is sold.

Right, fair point to an extent. Largely I was referring to @Just Jack way overvaluing the resale of anything in the stadium. These things don't sell at the scale assumed, and the cost to sell them at scale is immense. Some things will be sold as memorabilia but a small fraction of the stock available. Again, there is somebody out there selling the Bills turf for over a decade.

For reference. This is the Aud, 10 years after it was closed, about a year or so before tear down. Everything stayed in, just sort of rotting away. There is minimal resale value left at that point even if you use the decaying stadium as storage to piece out its parts. The aud was knocked down with what likes like near full seating capacity. TV's and refrigerators were left behind. 

There is no real money to be recouped in resale, at least not enough to put a major dent in tear down or past upgrade costs. It is a niche market that does not scale. 

http://www.forgottenbuffalo.com/forgottenbflofeatures/insidetheaud.html

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Exactly and in fact it would cost the Pegulas more money to relocate the bills and Sabres than it would just to stay put. A deal will be worked out, 💯 agree nothing to sweat over.

One of the accountants on the board can possibly elaborate, but I believe the Bills and all NFL teams get incredible tax breaks which one of

the many reasons billionaires like the investment.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, TEC said:

I keep seeing these exorbitant "infrastructure improvements" estimates that go along with a downtown stadium, just what are you guys envisioning needs to happen? Every other city seems to have figured it out without building a slew of highways and mass transit options.

RE: $1.4B Stadium - Call the billionaire's bluff. Don't give this team free money and act like it's a public-private partnership. Stop the scam! 

Which recent downtown stadiums are you talking about?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TEC said:

Water, sewer, electric just in terms of utilities. Water run off and corresponding erosion. Roads will have to be re-evaluated based on traffic needs. Not just width, signals, etc. but depth as well. 

Other cities absolutely had to do the same sort of planning and infrastructure upgrades. 

I agree with you on calling the Pegula's bluff. 

28 minutes ago, TEC said:

Huh?  The Billionaire's Bluff?  The Stadium isn't Terry's personal home.  You know that, right? He doesn't owe you a new stadium.  If you don't want your ticket costs to skyrocket, you  better hope they build an economical facility, in Orchard Park, and then spread the costs out over the million plus people who don't attend Bills games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mango said:

Water, sewer, electric just in terms of utilities. Water run off and corresponding erosion. Roads will have to be re-evaluated based on traffic needs. Not just width, signals, etc. but depth as well. 

Other cities absolutely had to do the same sort of planning and infrastructure upgrades. 

I agree with you on calling the Pegula's bluff. 

Some quick searching, I think we all know NYC constructions costs aren't the best comparison, but it's a good starting point. 

The new Yankee Stadium, completed in 2009, required an investment of $220 million from the city of New York to upgrade infrastructure. 

I'd be interested in what Vegas, Santa Clara, Indy and Minneapolis invested for said infrastructure improvements. 

Freddie's Dead mentioned $700-900M in infrastructure investments to support a field downtown, that doesn't pass the smell test. 

Edited by TEC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

RACCUIA: We already have PSLs. Our clubs seats and our other premiums contain PSLs. PSLs in some way shape or form will be a part of the new stadium. However, they will not be anything like PSLs throughout the rest of the NFL in those major markets that have opened in L.A. and Atlanta and other places.

Sounds like it's going to be like they have currently in the clubs, where we pay each year, and not a one time charge. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Huh?  The Billionaire's Bluff?  The Stadium isn't Terry's personal home.  You know that, right? He doesn't owe you a new stadium.  If you don't want your ticket costs to skyrocket, you  better hope they build an economical facility, in Orchard Park, and then spread the costs out over the million plus people who don't attend Bills games.

So you call his bluff and Terry moves the team or sells it to someone who will move it.  Great, you "called the billionaire's bluff."  You da man!  And now you don't have a team and your tax money still gets wasted on stupid ***** anyway.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

You are right, he doesn't owe us anything. I also believe that public taxpayers don't owe him anything and shouldn't front the majority of a stadium build so some billionaire may profit off extremely limited, private events. 

The case against public subsidies for new stadiums has been laid out a dozen times over by economists, city planners and journalists far smarter than I. The public can choose to ignore those facts so we can simply "have a team",  or we can stand our ground and say "No". I say call his bluff. We may hate the outcome, but at least we didn't get grifted. 

I hope there is a solution with limited to no public funds involved that keeps the Bills in Buffalo for decades to come. 

Edited by TEC
  • Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, TEC said:

You are right, he doesn't owe us anything. I also believe that public taxpayers don't owe him anything and shouldn't front the majority of a stadium build so some billionaire may profit off extremely limited, private events. 

The case against public subsidies for new stadiums has been laid out a dozen times over by economists, city planners and journalists far smarter than I. The public can choose to ignore those facts so we can simply "have a team",  or we can stand our ground and say "No". I say call his bluff. We may hate the outcome, but at least we didn't get grifted. 

I hope there is a solution with limited to no public funds involved that keeps the Bills in Buffalo for decades to come. 

It doesn’t work Like that. NYS and Erie county will work with Pegula. No one will be calling anyone’s bluff. 

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.