Bills cuts to get to 53 [final info in the OP]

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, BBills_88 said:

The dope thing is 6 draft picks from the 2021 class made the team, I am glad to see the youth movement. 

Noticed your blue helmet design. That is sharp! Much better than the blue helmet grossness that was posted on here before. The white buffalo with the blue helmet is fire. 

Just now, Success said:

I think the protocols are much more strict this year - especially w/ basically 2 classes of NFL player now, based on vaccination.

I hope I'm very wrong on this.  Losing 5 days for "close contact" just isn't good for our team or any team.  I'm not saying Beasley is the only one who runs that risk, but it doesn't look like the Bills took that into consideration at all.

Well two of Bills WR are unvaxed and they kept 7 WR so maybe they did. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Hollister may not make it back.

I can imagine a number of teams offering him a starting role (JETS).

He can choose where to go.  I doubt he'll sign with anyone given how good the Bills are and Josh, his college teammate, being here.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Any word on what is happening with Hollister? I know he got cut. Not sure if he will be re-signed tomorrow.

Just interesting that Sweeney made it

I think Sweeney had a good camp and appears ready to contribute.

26 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

A bit surprised about Hodgins. I thought I heard he was having a good camp. Not sure who you cut to keep him though.

I’m assuming they’ll try to sign him to the practice squad.

Agreed, they’ll try for PS.

I may be alone on this, but I don’t think McBeane want to IR Horrible Harry -if he’s as close to returning as Sean has implied. He’s earned a spot here. 
Glad they kept Zim!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Arkady Renko said:

I am not sure Hollister is a wait-in-the-parking-lot guy like Reid.  Hollister's name leaked early to a national reporter, which is often done by an agent looking to drum up interest. 

Thought had crossed my mind. Those guys are usually the late cuts not the early in the day ones.

21 minutes ago, Success said:

I was kind of hoping they'd go w/ Hodgins. 

I love Beasley - but really hope they don't regret this.  With the NFL protocols, he could miss all kinds of time, just for walking by people.

If they want Hodgins on the PS, I doubt there'll be a problem with him clearing waivers. He's had zero regular season experience, and there's almost no tape on him, and there's a lot of FA talent out there. Hell, Smoke Brown is walking the streets. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/30/2021 at 11:17 AM, YoloinOhio said:

They begin 

[Mod Edit to put current info in the OP]

As of Sun 9:15 pm

1 trade (Bam Johnson)

As of Tuesday 31 August 5:49 pm

Jake Fromm QB
Davis Webb QB

Jack Anderson OG (possible PS)

Jamil Douglas OG

Jordan Devey OL

Bobby Hart OT

Reid Ferguson LS 👀👀

Kerryith White RB

Antonio Williams RB (possible PS)

Tanner Gentry WR (possible PS)
Isaiah Hodgins WR

Brandon Powell WR

Steven Sims WR

Nate Becker TE

Jacob Hollister TE 👀👀

Quinton Morris TE (possible PS)
Brandin Bryant DT
Mike Love DE

Joe Giles-Harris LB

Marquel Lee LB

Olijah Griffin CB

Tim Harris CB

Cam Lewis CB
Nick McCloud CB

Rachad Wildgoose CB

Josh Thomas S

Alphabetical Listing Here:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-release-23-players-to-set-the-initial-2021-53-man-roster

Roster currently at 53

Sal has another mistake there, he has Isaiah Hodgins on there when he was listed on the Bills site as released.

The Wildgoose Chase is over

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Anyone know if Vaccination status played a role in final cuts? I realize Beasley is not, I'm curious who the anti guys remaining are?

I'm curious where we are %-wise.  We were supposedly around 80%, and some were saying that would drop further w/ the cuts (not sure why).

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

And in the least surprising news of the day.... Taiwan Jones is on the team.

Your boy, Gunner. If you’re not his agent, you should be. I’m convinced your work here today secured TJ’s job. 

Edited by CSBill
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, FieldGeneral said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Hodgins having a better camp last year prior to the injuries than Davis? I understand injuries can derail careers, but is he really not worth the effort of putting him on IR?

IR ends his season.  Is he not worth the effort of putting him on the PS?

Then he might actually get a chance to play in an NFL game and can continue practicing.

He was not worth keeping on the 53 as the 8th best receiver.

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, overall, picks in the 5th round or later have something like what, 20% chance to make an NFL roster?

That’s true, I’d actually be curious how many fifth round picks statistically make the roster in their second season. This team is going places, so the release of Fromm isn’t a big deal, it just makes me question the plan for backup next season. They’re going to spend more resources on bringing in a backup next season, when Fromm was already on the roster.

I’m not sure if this means he didn’t develop as well as they hoped ? I just find it to be one of the more interesting cuts. He was placed in a bubble last season, never getting the chance to have a real rookie season. I’d rather have taken a shot on a corner or offensive linemen in that case. It’s only a fifth round pick, that’s true, but Fromm definitely followed a different path that made it feel like he never had much of a chance. 

Edited by SirAndrew

2 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Anyone know if Vaccination status played a role in final cuts? I realize Beasley is not, I'm curious who the anti guys remaining are?

Beasley, Gabe Davis, Star, Vernon Butler for sure based on last week.   Wonder if Poyer is given his wife's IG / Twitter comments .

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think Gunner, myself, or anyone else thinks that Taiwan is a superstar player. We just saw, quite clearly, that there were a large number of factors pointing to him being very safe. If not, a lock. So when very vocal members would build a case against these obvious factors - it created a back and forth stalemate with both sides convinced their reasoning was correct and refusing to back down. And now... it's over.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

So we now have 5 RB's on the team, yes I include Gilliam as a RB.

Is Breida going to be inactive all season?

No - don't think he would have made the 53 only to be made inactive all season

Edited by BuffaninSarasota
add'l content
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

I'm curious where we are %-wise.  We were supposedly around 80%, and some were saying that would drop further w/ the cuts (not sure why).

The rate will drop because out of the 90 guys with an 80% rate means 17 unvaccinated players - the assumption is that the majority of the bubble guys would be vaccinated to make sure that they are not cut for that.

Now you cut to 53 and all 17 unvaccinated are in the 53 - now you rate is 68%.

It is simple math based upon an uneven distribution of vaccinated versus unvaccinated players.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Beasley, Gabe Davis, Star, Vernon Butler for sure based on last week.   Wonder if Poyer is given his wife's IG / Twitter comments .

Maybe it's a playing strategy? Like, if they know Gabe Davis is unvaxxed, some cornerbacks won't want to get too close to him, what with his cooties, and all...

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

The rate will drop because out of the 90 guys with an 80% rate means 17 unvaccinated players - the assumption is that the majority of the bubble guys would be vaccinated to make sure that they are not cut for that.

Now you cut to 53 and all 17 unvaccinated are in the 53 - now you rate is 68%.

It is simple math based upon an uneven distribution of vaccinated versus unvaccinated players.

Makes sense. Thank you. 

I truly hope we are not at 68% or close to that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't think Gunner, myself, or anyone else thinks that Taiwan is a superstar player. We just saw, quite clearly, that there were a large number of factors pointing to him being very safe. If not, a lock. So when very vocal members would build a case against these obvious factors - it created a back and forth stalemate with both sides convinced their reasoning was correct and refusing to back down. And now... it's over.

What do I win?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, vincec said:

They need another good CB. I assume they’re scouring the cuts from around the league for options.

I don't think that's something they're interested in. If they were, they'd have done it by now. Fact is, we have the same CB's we had last season. The only difference being Dane Jackson takes the place of Josh Norman. I'm assuming Cam Lewis returns to the Practice Squad and Rachad Wildgoose takes Dane Jackson's place there this year. They seem to be a lot more comfortable and confident in their core there than people realize.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, vincec said:

They need another good CB. I assume they’re scouring the cuts from around the league for options.

There are a few older veterans among the unsigned, but the Bills have shown no interest in any of them.  The possibility of a quality CB being released by another team is slim.  Most would be no better than those the Bills just cut.  I expect at least a couple will end up on the PS.