I think this is the year for Ed Oliver

I think he is going to see a lot of 1 on 1s and all hell is going to break loose. Between Star, Boogie, Obada and Rousseau, it’s going to be impossible for teams to zero in on him. I don’t think he will be elite, I reserve that for Aaron Donald and Chris Jones only, but I do think he will emerge as a very good DT and a key contributor on that Bills DL. 

Flame away. 😁

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

He already has.

He was the best player on the Bills defensive front last year and it wasn't really close.

He does get a lot of shade though. I just think that it’s going to be obvious by the end of the year that he is not a bust and he was not a reach. He did a lot of dirty work for us last year, but with the way the Bills drafted and the way they added talent, I think Oliver will be able to play more to his ability and skill set. More 1 on 1s, less eating up blockers, more penetrating and shooting gaps. I see him becoming a key cog on this defense, if not our most important, our second most important behind Tre. I just have that feeling in my gut that he is going to do something special.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Ed had a productive 2020. I think a lot of his issues in 2020 were related to not having a true NT on the roster. Luckily for his development he has proven to be an above average starter thus far in his first two seasons. Which means that he justifies his snaps which gives him a greater chance to develop. 

Edited by billsfan89

11 minutes ago, Simon said:

He already has.

He was the best player on the Bills defensive front last year and it wasn't really close.

Is it because he was really good or because  our DL was pretty bad  ? 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Poyer wasn’t even close?  

Ehhhhhhh.

"on the Bills defensive front"

1 minute ago, Putin said:

Is it because he was really good or because  our DL was pretty bad  ? 

Yes ; - )

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

2 positive Ed Oliver comments in a row?  Is that even allowed here??

Yes. I believe there can actually be 3 positive Ed Oliver comments in a row.

But, I believe there can only be 2 positive comments per page for Star Lotulelei, and, as of now, only 2 positive comments per thread for Cole Beasley...

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

He does get a lot of shade though. I just think that it’s going to be obvious by the end of the year that he is not a bust and he was not a reach. He did a lot of dirty work for us last year, but with the way the Bills drafted and the way they added talent, I think Oliver will be able to play more to his ability and skill set. More 1 on 1s, less eating up blockers, more penetrating and shooting gaps. I see him becoming a key cog on this defense, if not our most important, our second most important behind Tre. I just have that feeling in my gut that he is going to do something special.

And I don't think it's just the opportunities for more singe blocking that are going to help him, but he's also likely to be fresher and less beat up throughout the year.

Taking on doubles is a grind and even though he actually managed to beat a fair amount of them, winning against two guys burns up a crazy amount of energy. The less often he has to totally sell out to beat two blockers, the more often he's going to have some extra jump on downs where there's plays to made.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Ed is already a monster. When you can handle doubles and chew up blockers at 287 you’re a bad bad mother bleeper.

We have Star for that , Oliver was drafted to put pressure and get to the QB 

27 minutes ago, Simon said:

He already has.

Thank you. Some of us have long suggested that Oliver’s detractors take another look at every snap he took last season. His critics are seeing a completely different player than I am. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Thank you. Some of us have long suggested that Oliver’s detractors take another look at every snap he took last season. His critics are seeing a completely different player than I am. 

At the risk of insulting usually reasonable people, his detractors have no clue what the hell they're actually looking at :devil:

5 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I think that this is part of what Bills fans are looking for from a guy that went in the Top 10 of the draft - more impact plays, more stats, etc.  

Not only Bills fans but so is the HC who said Oliver needs to  IMPACT the game so obviously they expect MORE from him 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Simon said:

At the risk of insulting usually reasonable people, his detractors have no clue what the hell they're actually looking at :devil:

Well I was looking at the top 25 DT list and guess who’s NOT on it , need a clue ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If Ed is playing his natural 3-Tech position this year, and we are getting solid 1-Tech play from Star or Harry, then I am expecting anywhere between 10-14 sacks and 10 more tfl's to go along with it. I think last year's experience will help him even more so because of the fact he faced those double teams for a majority of the season while playing out of position. If you can take on and get wins against two 300lb+ starting OL'man, then going against one is gonna be like you gave a fat kid a box of Ho Hos. Ed's gonna eat. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Putin said:

Just hypothetically if we were to trade Oliver what could we get for him ?? 

At this moment, in his career? 🤔 

I would like to think, at least, a bottom half of the first round pick...but it’s really hard to tell because he really hasn’t done much to stand out...potential is still there, but who knows?

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

At this moment, in his career? 🤔 

I would like to think, at least, a bottom half of the first round pick...but it’s really hard to tell because he really hasn’t done much to stand out...potential is still there, but who knows?

You really never know what NFL GMs really think about a player until he is available. 

Honestly if we got a 2nd that would be a win, if we were trading him, which I do not support doing.

His potential is better than his actual value right now is all.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I'm not an Ed Oliver fan.  He just doesn't make enough plays for a 9th overall pick.  If he develops this year, I'll be more than happy to be wrong.

I find it very difficult to ascertain what exactly he is supposed to do on any given play. God knows it can't be trying to make the tackle. I have never seen him hold a double team either. Not saying he didn't, but I never saw it. I like to think I watch closely but I don't watch like I used to (I use to watch the game in slow-mo and really break it down. I think it may be the only way to really know.) His stats are terrible and he is often the last one to react after the snap. This is weird because he moved very fast at the snap in college. I think we play a weird defense that was never successful in Buffalo before so it is hard to judge what a player is supposed to do in this D. We're used to attacking defenses and simple ball.

if Anyone recalls, Kyle never rushed the passer once McD was here either, so WTF?

I have also seen Tremaine not attack the ball where he was clearly frustrated that he could not (because that is what he is coached to do, keep the ball in front of him.)

7 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Oliver is a much better player than Edmunds IMO

I hope both will take a big step this year , we need our top 5 defense back to make a run at the SB !!! 

Edited by Putin

1 hour ago, H2o said:

If Ed is playing his natural 3-Tech position this year, and we are getting solid 1-Tech play from Star or Harry, then I am expecting anywhere between 10-14 sacks and 10 more tfl's to go along with it. I think last year's experience will help him even more so because of the fact he faced those double teams for a majority of the season while playing out of position. If you can take on and get wins against two 300lb+ starting OL'man, then going against one is gonna be like you gave a fat kid a box of Ho Hos. Ed's gonna eat. 

They've been saying this about Oliver since college. At some point we just have to say he is what he is. 

• Agree 1